Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: ...not Top Carrot

In Pog Form
  • Start Topic

I took that dialect test.  Came up with Oklahoma City.  I was born in Omaha, lived their 8 months (Air Force Brat.)  Guess that was the best it could do, since I moved around a lot (even as an adult.)  Mostly east cost though after age 18 (62 now.)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

That is what I think, especially since Shirley pan-fried them right?  Instead of steaming them?  Plus, since you pre-make a huge batch of stuffing and are only putting in relatively small portions into the wrappers, it would not be hard to see how certain stuffings didn't have the same fat content as other portions.

OK, I am not sure if this is actually correct, but "pot stickers" seems to be an actual literal translation of what my parents call the pan-fried dumplings in mandarin: "Guo (pot) Tieh (sticky)".  So it is more a description of HOW they are cooked, and not the actual thing (like what is in your freezer if it isn't cooked yet) which is actually just dumplings.  However, I think the general westernized palate prefers the pan-fried variety (Versus boiled or steamed), which is why it is how "pot stickers" have become synonymous with "dumplings" in the west.  

Hi Hawaii TV Guy!!  I've mentioned before on this thread that my son is going to be stationed in Hawaii with the Navy for 4 years.  His father and I are so excited!  We've never been to Hawaii.   Would love to have travel tips.  I know this is OT, sorry.

3 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

OK, I am not sure if this is actually correct, but "pot stickers" seems to be an actual literal translation of what my parents call the pan-fried dumplings in mandarin: "Guo (pot) Tieh (sticky)".  So it is more a description of HOW they are cooked, and not the actual thing (like what is in your freezer if it isn't cooked yet) which is actually just dumplings.  However, I think the general westernized palate prefers the pan-fried variety (Versus boiled or steamed), which is why it is how "pot stickers" have become synonymous with "dumplings" in the west.  

That may very well be true, but Mom had a VERY distinctive idea.  I have always gotten the feeling that the vocab (pot sticker/dumpling, etc.) COULD be cultural or regional or, clearly, personal, but the only thing I know is that they taste very good, and it is hard to find a good Chinese restaurant.  I'm sure there is something else at play here, but the "dumplings" have very thick dough, but good spicy filling.  I'm from New England.  I'm STILL looking for that style of crab Rangoon.  At any rate, it was a respect thing.  I'll tell you what, we'll never cross her again.  God help the robber that would hit that place.  She actually reminds me a bit of Shirley.  ;)

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:53 PM, Mocking Bird said:

I gave my 7-year-old grandson (and me) a beginner sewing machine for Christmas.  He loves fashion, dressing up--Project Runway Jr. is a favorite--so he wants to learn to sew.  I can't sew on a button, but I'd bet he and I could bang out Padma's hideous jumpsuit.  Tom's boating outfit was a tad WTF as well.

Good for him.  And you.  Enjoy your time together!  Mr. Pickles sews better than me...actually, anything that requires patience he does better.  I always wanted to be that perfect Mom who did all that scrapbooking/crafts/etc.  Nope.  OTOH, my son and I cook together.  Not TC style, but he loves it and we're working on stuff everyday.  Good luck to you.  And if you ever do get on PR with a similar style, please let this forum know.  We'd be thrilled!

58 minutes ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Sure, but if we were to get technical here the type of dumpling Shirley made (jiaozi, maybe guotie) are not eaten during dimsum, they are more for Chinese holidays and a type of street food, almost always for dinner/at night. Shirley is from the Beijing area, and they don't even have dimsum, that's a Canto thing. The type of dumplings you have during dimsum usually have a translucent wrapper and are steamed, and have smaller shapes. The dish Shirley made is neither a dim sum dish or a brunch dish.

You are right, most of the dumplings that you get for dim sum have the translucent wrapper (such as the shrimp dumplings), however, at least here, you can get "pot-stickers" as well as the steamed dumplings at some dim sum places.  It isn't common and present every place, but some places do offer it.  

20 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

That may very well be true, but Mom had a VERY distinctive idea.  I have always gotten the feeling that the vocab (pot sticker/dumpling, etc.) COULD be cultural or regional or, clearly, personal, but the only thing I know is that they taste very good, and it is hard to find a good Chinese restaurant.  I'm sure there is something else at play here, but the "dumplings" have very thick dough, but good spicy filling.  I'm from New England.  I'm STILL looking for that style of crab Rangoon.  At any rate, it was a respect thing.  I'll tell you what, we'll never cross her again.  God help the robber that would hit that place.  She actually reminds me a bit of Shirley.  ;)

Yikes...Crab Rangoon personally makes me shudder. :-)  If you are near Boston I can ask my sister about places if you are interested for ideas, but she is not much of a foodie, and won't eat seafood so no Crab Rangoon suggestions from her!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Yikes...Crab Rangoon personally makes me shudder. :-)  If you are near Boston I can ask my sister about places if you are interested for ideas, but she is not much of a foodie, and won't eat seafood so no Crab Rangoon suggestions from her!

Oh, really?  I love them!  With lots of crab, or lots of cream cheese, or lots of scallion, or whatever.  The shape is what kills me, the ones that are ver small and pointy!  I USED to be near Boston.  Not anymore :(.  When I go back I get the rangoons, spiced green beans (not available here) and Hot and Sour soup with lots of pork.  The places I went were in Danvers/Beverly/Peabody.  Yes, I know.  But frankly, I swoon when I watch Shirley and Sheldon.  Not a chance in hell they'll be imported, but maybe we could rent them here in PA for a bit????  Plus, there have been a lot of other Asian dishes/chefs that make me drool.  I'll go check out my cookbooks now...........Top Chef spoils me!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Just curious, do Crab Rangoon from Boston still contain crabs??  At least around here they are just cream cheese wrapped in wonton paper.  There used to be traces of imitation crabs, but no more

Just now, DarkRaichu said:

Just curious, do Crab Rangoon from Boston still contain crabs??  At least around here they are just cream cheese wrapped in wonton paper.  There used to be traces of imitation crabs, but no more

Last I was there, it was crabby but creamy.  That sounds exactly like my new cat food.  S***.  It depends on where you go.  I like more filling, no matter what it is or where you go, as opposed to a lot of dough, and I think that is where it is at.  I love the thinner "wonton" or fried triangles.  BUT, where I am now, fried is thick dough.  I was so jealous of not only watching chefs here, but also in the Dim Sum episode in S8.  I adore watching, but wish I could eat.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

You are right, real crab would probably be something they would use on Top Chef, not at the local chinese takeout place.  But IIRC imitation crab (as used in California rolls) are made out of a type of fish right?  So yeah, even if she was a fan of creamy texture fillings (which I don't think my sister is), the fish would make it a no-no.  Yeah, definitely her loss living in New England.

24 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

Oh, really?  I love them!  With lots of crab, or lots of cream cheese, or lots of scallion, or whatever.  The shape is what kills me, the ones that are ver small and pointy!  I USED to be near Boston.  Not anymore :(.  When I go back I get the rangoons, spiced green beans (not available here) and Hot and Sour soup with lots of pork.  The places I went were in Danvers/Beverly/Peabody.  Yes, I know.  But frankly, I swoon when I watch Shirley and Sheldon.  Not a chance in hell they'll be imported, but maybe we could rent them here in PA for a bit????  Plus, there have been a lot of other Asian dishes/chefs that make me drool.  I'll go check out my cookbooks now...........Top Chef spoils me!

Hmm...I don't think I have had Rangoon with scallions, that might help with the taste for me.

Re the brown rice discussion in the episode thread, I really like this stuff. Only 90 seconds in the microwave. It's short grain with a nice nutty taste and slightly sticky texture.

rice.JPG

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 1

Moved from LCK because the discussion was getting offtopic.

I make huge batches of preserved lemons when my friends lemon trees get crazy and give them away, I tend to experiment with the spices. I use the liquid in marinades, dressing, and cocktails. If you find them super salty it's possible you didn't rinse them enough.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Walmart has it! They are out of stock online but they have it in my local store. 

They probably have it in stores in the Carolinas but in AZ, I doubt it though I will look.  I have to have it so I will probably end up buying it on amazon despite the price.  I will consider it in the same category as Maine lobster.  

They don't carry Clausen half sour pickles here.  They do in MA and FL.  Higher Jewish population?  

I can't find many things here and it is annoying.  No tuna packed in oil and that has nothing to do with race or religion!  

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

No tuna packed in oil and that has nothing to do with race or religion!  

wow that is a standard here in metro-NYC! I remember when my mom moved from NJ to the South she noted the pasta aisle shrunk by 75% due to the much smaller Italian population. And the Kosher aisle turns into the Kosher "table."  I think I also need to look for that Carolina Gold rice, probably online. 

I drain the water off then add olive oil to the can and let it soak overnight.  I then drain the oil and make tuna salad.  Many think water packed saves you calories.  Well it doesn't.  The amount of mayo needed is much much more with water packed.  It soaks up the mayo to the point you have to add more the next day! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I talked to a friend of mine in Charleston about the Carolina Gold rice. She said it's ridiculously overpriced merely because of the name and that it was the "first" rice in the area. She advised against paying those crazy prices, that it's simply not worth all the hype. Jasmine or basmati rice is just as tasty and fragrant, she said. 

Anybody know what the vetting process is for host cities?  They must be running out of locations with a distinct regional cuisine/style that the show could market.

(Hey - I'm from Ohio.  Lots of fun places to eat in Cleveland - think Michael Symon - but they probably couldn't build a season around it.) 

• Love 1

Two points about the Patron prize on "Top Chef":

I received "Parting Gifts" on a major game show. I (and every other contestant) was contractually forbidden from selling any prize with the name of the show in the description. This is not the same as selling a show's items that are made to be items for sale.

I do know that it was as nothing to take Kahlua across the  border back in 1974.

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Two points about the Patron prize on "Top Chef":

I received "Parting Gifts" on a major game show. I (and every other contestant) was contractually forbidden from selling any prize with the name of the show in the description. This is not the same as selling a show's items that are made to be items for sale.

I do know that it was as nothing to take Kahlua across the  border back in 1974.

In the episode thread everyone mentioned the taxes that Brooke would have to pay, that is kind of sad, if they had just left it in her hotel room and she shared it with everyone (like we all assume she did) then she wouldn't have had to pay anything haha.

Oh and just as a technical forum question, I haven't been able to carry over quotes and replies to different pages of the threads, thus my multiple posts in a thread, anyone know a solution to this issue?  Or any way I can merge my posts together post-posting?

24 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Oh and just as a technical forum question, I haven't been able to carry over quotes and replies to different pages of the threads, thus my multiple posts in a thread, anyone know a solution to this issue?  Or any way I can merge my posts together post-posting?

Use the quote with the plus sign next to it (between the regular quote button and the flag button).  You can use that to multi-quote - it saves them all up until you're ready to reply, or to reply in another thread.  When you leave the thread, the little pop-up will temporarily disappear, but when you open a new thread it will reappear for you to reply in that thread.  (Hope that all makes sense w/o screen shots).

4 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

In the episode thread everyone mentioned the taxes that Brooke would have to pay, that is kind of sad, if they had just left it in her hotel room and she shared it with everyone (like we all assume she did) then she wouldn't have had to pay anything haha.

I'm pretty sure the taxes issue is because it's a prize, and thus earned income, which would mean it wouldn't matter if they consumed it immediately or she brought it home.

• Love 1

There's paperwork for every prize given..... trips, money, bottles of booze. They will pay at least half in gift/prize taxes. Thank California for starting that, due to all the game shows filmed there. NY followed suit. I have been to the Price is Right several times, and everyone who wins is immediately taken off with a rep holding a contract they must sign in order to receive the prize. I remember seeing lots of ads postedin local grocery stores there, people trying to sell off what they won so they can pay the taxes. Brooke, or anyone on this show who won something, will have to pay taxes regardless of whether or not it's carried on the plane with them back to the U.S.

First thought on any competition with a cash payout...taxes!  Have to snicker about the universal question on Chopped "so what would you do if you won $10,000?"  "Oh, the $5,000 after taxes will go into my kids' college petty cash fund...but first I have to deduct my personal expenses for appearing on this show."

Top Chef remains the gold standard of US TV cooking competitions, and I imagine the marketing value of being TC is worth more than the actual monetary prize.

I can't believe My Sheldon (who prepares island cuisine like no other) lost based on improperly grilled fish.  Please allow me my sulk time.

• Love 7

Chopped contestants have to pay all of their travel and hotel expenses. Which may explain why you don't see a lot of young newcomers on there anymore. The TC people get put up in a hotel or house somewhere. I have no idea if they pay their own airfare, but I'll ask. :)

Everytime I watch a game show now where cash is involved, I immediately deduct half from the total as to what they actually take home.

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Everytime I watch a game show now where cash is involved, I immediately deduct half from the total as to what they actually take home

Yep. I 've done that for any show for years, since I first found out they have to cough up at least 50%.   I think I first became aware when I saw a lawsuit in the news against Price Is Right, about how the taxes negated the benefits.  I would think though that a lot of people/chefs/etc. still go on these shows for exposure.

On 2/23/2017 at 4:08 PM, theatremouse said:

I'm pretty sure the taxes issue is because it's a prize, and thus earned income, which would mean it wouldn't matter if they consumed it immediately or she brought it home.

Oh I know, but I am thinking that if they left the bottle in her room and said "Enjoy!" then it can be perceived as a gift and not really needed to be reported.  Plus not an obvious paper trail haha.

On 2/21/2017 at 0:50 PM, spiderpig said:

Anybody know what the vetting process is for host cities?  They must be running out of locations with a distinct regional cuisine/style that the show could market.

(Hey - I'm from Ohio.  Lots of fun places to eat in Cleveland - think Michael Symon - but they probably couldn't build a season around it.) 

I saw on the TC website a few weeks ago (2?) they had the audition sites picked, and were going to be doing them at previous TC cheftestants' restaurants in select citys.  Toups' Meatery in NO was one of them.  Sorry, I can't seem to find it right now, but it wasn't too long ago.  

Here's a link to an article about  Sheldon cooking at the James Beard House earlier this week, by a writer who had the great good fortune to sit with Gail Simmons.  Enjoy!  http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/top-chef-sheldon-simeon-dinner-with-gail-simmons.html

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:
On 2/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, spiderpig said:

I saw on the TC website a few weeks ago (2?) they had the audition sites picked, and were going to be doing them at previous TC cheftestants' restaurants in select citys.  Toups' Meatery in NO was one of them.  Sorry, I can't seem to find it right now, but it wasn't too long ago.  

http://www.bravotv.com/topchefcasting

John Tesar's "Knife" will be one of the hosting restaurants.

He is a worthy chef and a noteworthy part of the dining scene in the USA.  And, as he has said, he cooks - as opposed to kissing babies.

Edited by chiaros
10 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Oh I know, but I am thinking that if they left the bottle in her room and said "Enjoy!" then it can be perceived as a gift and not really needed to be reported.  Plus not an obvious paper trail haha.

Won't matter if they drank it, unless she's trying to avoid the customs fees over $400 in value. Any prize won, regardless if it's eaten or downed as shots, she still has to pay taxes on the prize. Game show prizes are taxed at about 50%.

12 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Here's a link to an article about  Sheldon cooking at the James Beard House earlier this week, by a writer who had the great good fortune to sit with Gail Simmons.  Enjoy!  http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/top-chef-sheldon-simeon-dinner-with-gail-simmons.html

From the article:

Truly, that’s what Sheldon does with his food: He gives you something that he would give to his family, which is the most generous thing a chef can do. If you’re Asian-American, you understand that he’s reconstructing parts of your childhood and honoring how your parents eat. 

I have been trying to figure out why I relate to Sheldon even though I have not Filipino or Hawaiian blood in my vein.  That wonderful quote is the perfect (and much more eloquant) summary of my feelings

And "Sundays are for family".  I have a lot of respects for small business owners who close their businesses once a week so they and their employees can rest and enjoy their families

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 4
On 3/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, spiderpig said:

My Thursday nights are so strangely empty right now. :-(

are there any replacements in the near future? Top Chef Masters, etc? When was that Iron Chef mashup supposed to start?

1 minute ago, sourpickles said:

Is this on Bravo?  Or Food Network?  Last IC I saw was on there, but that was yonks ago..........

FN, Iron Chef Gauntlet.  Alton is hosting.  Symon, Flay, & Morimoto are the IC's.  Some of the Top Chef alums, including the much loved Stephanie Izard, as well as the bully girl chef Sarah, will appear.  http://chicago.eater.com/2017/3/2/14792972/iron-chef-gauntlet-tv-show-chicago-chefs-stephanie-izard-sarah-grueneberg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blonde Gator said:

Sharing your excitement, SourPickles.....you are very welcome!

Hey, I wonder who else from the TC board will be watching.........gonna have to have a new show board/comments section........that'll be cool, too....

New to this board, so apologies if someone already posted this.  There's a YouTube Channel (Reserve) that features Eric Ripert, one of my absolutely favorite Top Chef celebrity judges.  The first episode I watched, he had Gail Simmons over, and she cooked him brunch.  Fantastic!  Who needs Tom and Padma with these two?  They are wonderful, funny, informative.   Enjoy.

• Love 2
On 3/14/2017 at 3:31 PM, Blonde Gator said:

New to this board, so apologies if someone already posted this.  There's a YouTube Channel (Reserve) that features Eric Ripert, one of my absolutely favorite Top Chef celebrity judges.  The first episode I watched, he had Gail Simmons over, and she cooked him brunch.  Fantastic!  Who needs Tom and Padma with these two?  They are wonderful, funny, informative.   Enjoy.

That was positively delightful!  I love both of them and they were great here.  Very glad you shared that.  I just subscribed to the Reserve Channel.

• Love 1

Just ran into Sheldon outside of a poke restaurant in NYC! Said hi, and told him his food looks awesome. He was all smiles and looked a little confused. His handler was trying to get him into a car, and said she had to grab one more bag.

• Love 3