Type keyword(s) to search

Black Sails in the Media

People are really thinking of rage-quitting over the death of Charles Vane?  This article seems to think so.  

https://www.inverse.com/article/12764-so-black-sails-killed-charles-vane-and-you-re-pondering-rage-quitting?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=on_site&utm_campaign=desktop

I really liked Vane -- well, Season 2 and Season 3 Vane -- he was a bit of dick in Season 1.  But come on . . . there is so much more to love about this show.  Flint & Silver alone are worth the price of admission. 

• Love 2

Well, some people I knew were thinking that way....for about three hours and now they want to watch to see if Eleanor gets what's coming to her.

The woman on "Afterbuzz TV" was all about Vane, well really Zach, because he was always shirtless, I'm not kidding, last season she went on and on and on about "Shirtless Vane."  I guess she's never seen those pictures from "Men's Health."  A lot more of the men are ripped, they just don't take their shirts off.

The AfterBuzz woman is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure she even watches the show outside of just Vane's scenes. For the episode 8 show, she kept calling Madi "Eme". Cause I guess all young black women look alike to her. Moron.

• Love 1

The AfterBuzz woman is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure she even watches the show outside of just Vane's scenes. For the episode 8 show, she kept calling Madi "Eme". Cause I guess all young black women look alike to her. Moron.

I know, she's awful.  Last year and the year before they had a man who was the lead on that show, and this year, when I saw her, I just thought, "oh here we go."  She only watches the shirtless Vane scenes, what a loon!

I remember the guy. He was sooooo much better. I wonder what happened to him? At least he bothered to remember character's names and their storylines. Also last week, she said Billy's parents were exiles who became pirates. Like, huh? Does she even watch the show or just look at on-line clips of Vane?

• Love 1

I remember the guy. He was sooooo much better. I wonder what happened to him? At least he bothered to remember character's names and their storylines. Also last week, she said Billy's parents were exiles who became pirates. Like, huh? Does she even watch the show or just look at on-line clips of Vane?

I was so upset not to see him this season.  She used to do the show with him, but he kept her in check when she'd go off on how hot Vane was.  I think she just watches Vane clips.  

The guy was so much better because he was into THE SHOW.  I mean if a man went on and on about how hot Eleanor is and how much he likes seeing her shirtless, that guy would be gone.  

I was glad last year when they did interview Zach McGowan, Luke Arnold and Jessica Parker Kennedy (right before season 2 began) that Afterbuzz woman was NOT there.  The guy interviewed them and he did a great job, she would have been drooling over Zach.  So unprofessional.

My understanding was that Starz wanted more but the showrunners were like, "this is it folks."  Starz is upset they're losing those strong viewership numbers. 

It’s a rare privilege in television to be given the kind of creative freedom we’ve enjoyed on this show over the last four years,” co-creator Jonathan E. Steinberg said. “While it was a difficult decision for us to make this season our last, we simply couldn’t imagine anything beyond it that would make for a better ending to the story nor a more natural handoff to Treasure Island.”

“Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine, along with their crew and the phenomenal cast, have delivered a spectacular take on the most legendary pirate story in literature, and this final season will bring us to the shores of Treasure Island as was always intended,” Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik said. “Black Sails has been a tremendous success; from the loyal fan following and strong viewership numbers to awards recognition and the skill of our world-class production in Cape Town, we could not be more proud of this very special series.”

• Love 4

That what's makes me okay with it, sad as I also am about it. Better to end on their own terms than Starz being the one to cancel before the show could wrap itself up. But it's also nice to know the writers wouldn't just drag the show out simply because they could. I think they've shown they really know what they're doing and if four seasons was all they needed to tell their story, then four seasons it is.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

My understanding was that Starz wanted more but the showrunners were like, "this is it folks."  Starz is upset they're losing those strong viewership numbers. 

I can appreciate this.  I hate when good shows carry on past their prime and/or a logical stopping point.  Although, I was kinda hoping for a Treasure Island movie out of it. 

• Love 2

I will miss the show when it is gone, but I much prefer a show that says The End than a show that the network says Bye-Bye to.  At least there will be closure.  It beats becoming stale with nothing to offer but hollow stories.  

• Love 3

I prefer it this way. There's been a nice, clear forward progression and every season so far has been better than the one proceeding it. If the show hasn't begun repeating itself yet, it's been getting close. I think even best case scenario, it only had about two years left. So I'm glad they're not unnecessarily stretching it out and going where the writing's taking them. 

• Love 1

I agree.  I just found the show and love it, but one more year sounds about right to finish the story.  They're building to a final confrontation with Flint vs Woodes Rogers/England, something that was always coming.  It seems a natural place to end. 

• Love 1

When I first heard Black Sails was ending after season four.  I was a bit sad.  But then I thought about Prison Break, a show I used to like.  I remember hearing that Prison Break was originally made for two seasons, but because the ratings were high, Fox wanted more and the showrunners were like, "okay."  The third season was bad IMO and the fourth season was unwatchable to me. 

Sometimes shows can only go for one, two, three or four seasons before they run out of steam.  This past season's episodes were so chock full of action and drama that sometimes it felt like I was watching a movie. 

As long as season four is as awesome as season three, I'm all in.

• Love 1

Oh, Prison Break. If it was a person, southern people would be like, 'bless their heart.' 

I'm curious what a 'natural hand off to Treasure Island' is going to look like. I hope this final season is just runaway train from start to finish. 

• Love 1

I'm a little sad, but I'm also glad it will end properly, and give me a reason to go back and watch it again knowing I will have a full story and character arc to digest each time (hopefully.) I don't know how much story there is left to tell in reality, and I'm glad it won't get to the stage where characters are destroyed in order to advance a stupid plotline because they have run out of ideas.

So farewell Black Sails, you really dragged me in after the first few episodes,  some of your scenes have been breathtaking tv, and so, so compelling. I will always adore Flint, Rackham, Vane, Bonny, Billy, and of course Thomas.

• Love 1

Being prepared, I don't expect Black Sails to pull a Penny Dreadful finale /still disappointed.   I hope Flint goes out in a blaze of glory - it's LJ Silver's world now, as much as I love Flint, everything he cared about is gone and Nassau won't be a pirate utopia.   I'll miss the show but have high hopes for a great last season.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2016 at 10:18 AM, ganesh said:

Oh, Prison Break. If it was a person, southern people would be like, 'bless their heart.' 

I'm curious what a 'natural hand off to Treasure Island' is going to look like. I hope this final season is just runaway train from start to finish. 

So will I, only because the book and the show seem so different to me (yup, I gave in and read - well skimmed - it, at least.) 

On 7/20/2016 at 7:06 PM, Irlandesa said:

No.  This really felt like a five season show to me.

I think they probably could have gone on one season more as well, but like posters have already said better too soon than too late.

Some very sad news to report. Jannes Eiselen, the actor who played the original (and best) Dufresne in season 1, passed away yesterday, two days after his 36th birthday. He had been battling a rare form of cancer for three years that had forced him to leave the show.  
RIP Jannes, may your memory be a blessing to all who loved and knew you.

Edited by Ripley Rules
  • Love 5

Saw the Black Sails panel at New York Comic Con everyone was super gorgeous in person saw a trailer for Season 4, the creators were super cagey with details but they said alot of what we will be seeing in Season 4 will be everyone dealing with the fallout from the death of Vane and the rise of John Silver.  

• Love 5

Sad Toby Rackham didnt get a lot of time to talk during the panel but it was awesome watching them all talk about the show, and you could feel the real love they all have for the story ! The Facebook chat video is great as well ! 

And that trailer... man, this is gonna be so awesome ! 

More new stuff!

Black Sails: Creating the World (slightly spoilery)  I have so many questions!

Spoiler

• I assume that the Silver-trapped-underwater sequence is the first fifteen minutes that they showed at NYCC, right?
  • Who's the man who has Silver captured?  Is he another government official? [Oh, he's the one talking to Woodes Rodgers in the trailer.]
  • They seemed to imply a new "civilized" location for this season (like London and Charles Town).  What is it?
  • Am I actually going to get the Madi/Eleanor scenes that I've had on my wish list?  Awesome!
  • Could Toby Stephens be more adorable with that laugh?
  • Why must my pirate husband (Silver) suffer so much?  Is this how he becomes invested enough to "free the new world"?
  • How will I survive the cognitive dissonance of being soooo excited for Season 4 and dreading Season 4 so much?

Fandom Following:  Black Sails, or How to Write Women

IGN:  Hannah New on How Eleanor 'Adapts to Survive' . . .

Edited by netlyon2
update questions
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:24 PM, ulkis said:

Looks great! Billy looks good with the beard.

Billy looks good no matter what he's saying, doing or wearing. I have major hots for Billy Bones. Let's hope there is some shirtless Billy in the last season!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Do we have a return date? I went to add Black Sails to my new DVR and I can't find it in the list. I thought it was coming back early January but, I guess it might be end of January?

Jan. 29th is the return date.