Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Things We Lost In The Fire

I know I wasn't supposed to laugh, but it was so hilarious to see Stefan let Damon go underwater like he was Kate Winslet in Titanic and Damon was Leo.

Part of me understands why Matt didn't want Nora at the baby shower, but the rest of me is like dude, Matt, do you not realize that most of your friends have tried to kill you or each other at some point? I'm not saying Matt needs to be BFFs with Nora but the only real difference between Nora and the other Scoobies is that she tried to kill them more recently (well, excluding Damon who tried to kill Bonnie, Matt, Stefan, and Caroline in the previous episode).

Ha, I know it's such a tv/movie cliche when guys can't put a diaper on a baby, but I loved that Bonnie was videotaping Matt, Tyler, and Alaric for future blackmailing purposes. Good to know that Alaric has been reading some of the baby stuff that Caroline has been piling on him so he's prepared.

Alaric wanting to keep his babies as far away from Mystic Falls as possible is the smartest decision he has made in a long time. I totally support it. I don't want this to be what makes Caroline realize that she's in love with him though. Normally I would say that it's not a great idea for a single parent to move to a new place and start a new job with no family or friends to help him with the babies, but the others don't really have time to help change diapers and burp babies since they're always off rescuing each other or battling vampires/witches. I'm mostly sad that this means Damon will lose his drinking buddy.

How many times do we have to replay the whole "Damon is a dark and reckless monster" story alongside the accompanying "Stefan will always be loyal to Damon" storyline? I feel like we've heard these exact same speeches multiple times. Are they just copying and pasting the dialogue at this point?

So is the female cop the huntress? Or is it someone we already know? Either way, it's not surprising that Matt is working with her. But it was still sad to see his cold attitude toward Caroline in the flash forward. Maaaaaatttt, don't be mean to Caroline!

(edited)

Unless Tyler had a special fakeout casket for just such an occasion (and, really, even Damon anticipated asking Tyler to let him see Elena's body in the next sixty years so it's entirely possible that he did go to the trouble to create a fake Elena to show Damon in case of emergency), then yes.

But hey, they have Bonnie and Nora so they can just use the usual TVD deux ex machina to magically bring Elena's body back! That's how they fix everything on this show. Plus in one of the very first flash forwards, when Stefan goes to fetch Damon from his casket, Damon says he told Stefan not to bother him until Elena was going to come back to life, so they must find some sort of solution between now and then.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I think that was the crappiest episode of the show I ever saw. If he truly believes he just killed Elena for good, Damon was downright chill at the end. I get that they were going for "numb" there but this is Damon, he is way to impulsive. He would have immediately staked himself. Or turned off his emotions and killed everyone of his friends for real or something.

Also we`re truly back to the strict good brother/bad brother dichotomy? And Stefan will never be happy with him? He had a chance to be happy without him then between Seasons 5 and 6 and that went over like gangbusters. He made a beautiful speech about the value of this relationship in the Season 6 Finale and in this one episode they pretty much deconstructed it completely. Stefan stays loyal, not out of love for someone who has good and bad sides but out of strange duty to a monster. Meanwhile Stefan himself has no monstrous side to him. They regressed the entire show back to starting point here. Thanks for nothing. 

Both Stefan and Damon are being told to let go of someone they love in order to be free, so is this the phoenix stone acting like the first evil on BtVS, just screwing with their minds to make them weaker? Or is it their subconscious trying to get them to sink to the lowest/moat selfish versions of themselves so that Damon can be the monster he keeps saying he is and go back to merrily killing anyone who crosses his path while Stefan gives up on saving Damon? And to what end? If the huntress is the one who created the knife that traps them in the stone, what good would it do her to have any escapees turning into the worst versions of themselves? Or is this part of the plan like when the first evil tried to convince Angel to kill himself?

The problem I have with Damon and Stefan still being tortured post-stone is that as far as we know, Julian was fine after he got out, as were the two vampires who were accidentally put into Jo and Oscar. Okay, maybe "fine" is overstating it since Oscar went on a killing spree but he didn't seem to be having hallucinations of other people as far as I remember. Julian is the bigger evidence against this. He doesn't seem to have a lot of self control so if he had been seeing things, he would have been killing people left and right.

• Love 2

Well Matt in the flash forward is interesting. Wonder who he's helping and who ever he's helping is because someone killed his girlfriend. I guess new cop is the future new girlfriend?

I hope Damon burning Elena sticks for awhile, so we don't see him pining and keeping vigil for her until the series ends. 

The baby shower was cute, Damon's baby ending up with no head was hilarious and it was nice Tyler returned for Alaric. However it just glared that Jeremy didn't. Alaric should move to where ever Tyler and Jeremy are living. His wanting to move and get the babies out of there is so smart. I guess Caroline will want to go with since you can see the bond she's having to them.

Hmm..I finally have respect for Alaric. Deciding to leave that hell hole of a town and move far far away is the best thing he could ever do for his daughters. If he was really smart he wouldn't tell anyone where he was moving to though, and since Damon finds him at home in the future, it seems that someone in the group knows his location.

It's funny, I didn't like the episode storyline at all, but where the shooting of the episode in concerned there was this moment (and I don't even remember which) where I wondered, "is this a Paul Wesley-directed episode?" And actually yes, that's what it turned out to be. I'm not great at spotting these things -- is anyone else starting to see some kind of signature he leaves on an episode?

(I'm choosing not to blame Paul for the spectacular special effects failure because frankly there was no way to make some of what was written look good. The two brothers underwater was just so stupid-looking because for shit's sake, there was nothing there to work with, it was two dudes underwater staring at you. And the obvious reuse of a shot of Nina that they "burned" was so bad that I was looking at Ian Somerhalder and going, "oh for shit's sake, he's looking into a light to simulate fire on his face.")

• Love 1

This whole thing is getting so convoluted I've about lost any sense of caring. I did like the brother bonding most of the show, but the reason behind it was terrible and slightly confusing. I thought IS and PW looked extra hott but it might be such a change for the awful wigs last week that made them look so good.

Will someone ANYONE just kill Julian already. He is so freakin' annoying.

I'm with Tyler .....everyone just cut your losses MF is no more. How will it ever be a quaint little town again?

• Love 3

I get what the show is trying to do with the hallucination misdirects but when you have to constantly question if everything Damon & Stefan are doing is real or not it gets a bit tiring. I'd like them to wrap up that aspect faster. And I hope they have a good explanation outside of just magic for how Elena's body is brought back.

Overall I enjoyed the episode though. It moved the plot along which was something that was desperately needed. Finally seeing Matt in the flash forward and seeing how much he has changed was interesting. I feel like this has been a long time coming for him. He's tried for years to be the good guy despite coming out of the losing end of most situations all the time. I can see how losing one more person to vampires or supernaturals would push him over the edge. It's good character progression for him. He looked really good too! Despite being mean to Caroline.

I'm warming to Nora but she needs to quit it with the threats. Why did she even think Bonnie sent her that letter when Bonnie is the only one being nice to her? I do want to see where their relationship goes. I'm starting to think Nora is the person Bonnie was talking about in her therapy session. And I'm curious to learn more about the huntress if powerful witches can't even straight up kill her. There is no way she is just a hunter.

A big F U though to whoever wanted to troll us long suffering Batt shippers with that dating site match up :(

Shouldn't Elena's body have some protection over it due to Kai's spell... since she's not supposed to age or anything.... plus Bonnie was throwing all kinds of protective magic at it in the crypt.

I expected it to actually be an empty coffin... but like others have pointed out, the flash forwards have already told us that Elena isn't actually dead.... the trick will just be the reveal of how it's not her. I'd expect Tyler to have something in place for when Damon gets demanding- so a fake out empty coffin makes sense to me, and having a gun right there to subdue annoyed Damon when he finds out he wasn't brought to Elena....

I'm ready to be done with the hallucination stuff....

This whole thing is getting so convoluted I've about lost any sense of caring.

I have felt this way for the last 2-3 seasons. Unfortunately, since I have been here since the beginning I feel compelled to see it to the bitter freaking end. Which I hope to God is this season. I really wish they'd dump this and keep Reign which is not likely but hopefully The Originals will live to see another season. Speaking of, I know that there's a crossover coming soon. I wonder who's going where?

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 2

At this point, I'm more interested in watching The Originals than TVD, which is sad to me. Why can't the writers on TVD get their shit together and come up with interesting storylines instead of retreading the same old "Damon is bad/Stefan has to save Damon from himself and remind him that he can be a good person" garbage? I hoped that once Elena was gone, we would get some good brotherly bonding but nope, it's more of the same.

• Love 2

I thought IS and PW looked extra hott but it might be such a change for the awful wigs last week that made them look so bad.

I thought exactly the same! Maybe it's indicative of how superficially I am watching this show now but everyone looked hot even Matt (who I have never fancied before!). PW seems to know how to his friends to look their best.

I think I might be on my own but I have actually enjoyed the last 2 episodes more than the rest of S7. Does it make sense? Not really. Is some the dialogue clunky as anything? Yes. I really wanted Stefan to say to Damon that despite all the bad stuff about Damon, Stefan knows that he has a good side independent of Elena. That would have made sense.

I liked seeing Tyler back. In fact for me, the major plus points of last 2 episodes have been putting the main characters in a room together and very little heretic stuff. Nora can stay though, she's better away from Mary Louise.

I do find the idea of Matt working with huntress intriguing. They have been hinting at Matt going anti vampire for so long and it looks like he might get a LI too.

• Love 1

Alaric wanting to keep his babies as far away from Mystic Falls as possible is the smartest decision he has made in a long time. I totally support it. I don't want this to be what makes Caroline realize that she's in love with him though.

So is the female cop the huntress? Or is it someone we already know? Either way, it's not surprising that Matt is working with her. But it was still sad to see his cold attitude toward Caroline in the flash forward. Maaaaaatttt, don't be mean to Caroline!

It just seems to me like Caroline was fine with not wanting to play mom because she assumed she'd get to visit with the twins whenever she wanted after they were born. Alaric moving means she won't get to see them at all, really, and she'll miss them. So far, I think their engagement three years from now is for appearance sake because, at the moment, Caroline and Alaric as a real couple is still an idea that I can't wrap my mind around.

And yeah, I was thinking the female cop will turn out to be the Huntress. It's got to be somebody that they introduce right about now.

Apropos of nothing, I cracked up at Norah calling the gift registry a "list of demands."

• Love 1

I think I might be on my own but I have actually enjoyed the last 2 episodes more than the rest of S7. Does it make sense? Not really. Is some the dialogue clunky as anything? Yes. I really wanted Stefan to say to Damon that despite all the bad stuff about Damon, Stefan knows that he has a good side independent of Elena. That would have made sense.

I'll join you. I have enjoyed both episodes overall. This one more so than the last one though. I felt like this one moved a lot of things along. Season 6 was so strong that it was always going to be hard to follow that up. I think the show is still trying to find its feet post Elena and it isn't there yet. Though it was doing a better job of it when this season first started. The Damon/Bonnie/Alaric dynamic was great.

I am hoping the huntress trims the fat a little bit. You know she'll kill Beau first since this is TVD. But hopefully she takes Mary Louise & Julian as well. I like Nora so she should stay. Plus it's nice to see Bonnie have another witch to work with. Valerie is kind of meh but I figure she will survive as well.

Edited by Couver

This show is done.  Stick a fork in it.  I took me two hours to watch this episode because I kept pausing it to finish the level of Candy Crush that I was on.  All I heard was blah blah blah.  I did thoroughly enjoy one scene though - the scene with Matt and Bonnie on the side of the road and she found out that they had been matched on the dating website and both started making fun of each other.  For one brief second it called back to the fact that this was an ensemble show about a group of friends who grew up together and know each other very well.  Hell, Bonnie and Matt were prom king and queen.  That was nice.  It didn't last long enough to save the rest of the ep.

• Love 5

Between the hallucinations and springing 3 years forward and back again, I'm not sure I know what is real or fake anymore or if I even care.  Agree with other posters that the good/bad brother story line is old.  Anyone else count how many times Damon referred to Stephan as "brother" this episode?  Began to wonder if he forgot his own brothers name while stuck in the Phoenix Stone... either that or they are making a new drinking game.

We need more of the fun scenes like Bonnie and Matt being matched on the dating site and the baby shower diaper game.  Too much bad mommy and crappy MF characters.  I'm trying to stick with this season but it feels like they are purposely trying to lose viewers.

Edited by Minney