Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I feel like we should have been credited in this article. Was someone reading this forum? Or were all these things so obvious that anyone watching with any critical thinking would see these things?

Its weird that I dont see more people point out these flaws. Other than on the boards and in rare instances like this article, people either complain about things that are more like symptoms than actual issues (like its "confusing" is actually due to poor worldbuilding) or non-issues. (Like Swan Queen not getting together.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

Muppet fans, be very very afraid.

As a Muppet fan, I want to die.

It looks like it's going to take place in the 1980s, so there will be more cringy Tron references.

I'm very scared of the inevitable Regina/Lana Parilla muppet. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

#23:

So when we learned Henry had this power, it was rather disappointing that he broke the Author pen rather than utilized it or even learned more of its powers first.  It’s hard to understand why the writers would abandon such an interesting storyline.

Clearly, whoever wrote this episode didn't watch past the Season 4 finale.  "Such an interesting storyline"?  LOL.  

And finally #1:

So why not end it on a high note with the season six finale rather than attempting to keep it going? It’s just not rational.

If this person thinks the Season 6 finale is a high-note, then it sounds like they were hardly bothered by these 30 "things that make no sense".  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

If this person thinks the Season 6 finale is a high-note, then it sounds like they were hardly bothered by these 30 "things that make no sense".  

I think a lot of people regarded the S6 finale as "high note" simply for the montage. Everyone was happy and it felt very "final". The rest of S6 and its finale were horrible, but I believe most fans were fine with where it left the main characters. They were (mostly) satisfied. Captain Swan were married, Regina and Zelena found their places in the "family", Rumpbelle had their baby, and Snowing got their easy farm life. The S7 finale was a bunch of WTF. It was the opposite of S6's - it was a decent finale episode, but had a bad ending. The S6 finale was, conversely, a bad episode with a decent ending.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

As a Muppet fan, I want to die.

The arc is going to be called "Save Rowlf".  Kermit will need everyone's skills and they'll all have to work together, and the series will begin with Kermit recruiting everyone like Rumple did in "Darkness at the Edge of Town".  In flashback, we will find out what everyone had been up to in the missing year.  Everyone did something really bad and shameful and they find out redemption is possible.  Eventually, they realize Rowlf was kidnapped to an Alternate Manhattan where the Muppets' evil counterparts live.  In the climax, they all wish on a fountain which solves all their problems and they're all ready for their "happy beginnings".  

Seriously though, I will probably watch it like the muppet glutton I am. I thought some of the ABC series was kind of funny, but the whole Kermit/Miss Piggy break-up and the realism really turned people off. They wanted something more like the classic Muppet Show. I'm not sure how they can put the muppets in a binge-watching format, but if it's funny, people will watch regardless. The problem is that A&E dont do humor well. A lot of the visual gags and snarky remarks in OUAT were amateur at best. What they'll probably end up doing is having a ton of obscure cameos (both human and muppet) and attempt a serialized storyline with cheap drama. A&E most likely have two or three great ideas, but everything in between will be dreck. Itll be one half-decent storyline for just the first season.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, superloislane said:

Are A&E just the go-to writers for literally anything set in the 80s? What is it about that era that makes them so obsessed with it? The shoulder pads?

The 80s are to Gen X what the 50s were to the Baby Boomers. It's nostalgia for their childhood and youth. In the 70s, we got a lot of movies and TV series about the 50s. Now it's 80s nostalgia, and I think it tends to be something that people who don't have a lot of originality resort to.

I'm not really sure where to put this.

I do wonder if Disney would ever do some sort of spin-off series or reboot on their Disney+ platform, given how much of a marketing machine that service will be. It could be lower budget with lower expectations. OUAT did really well on Netflix, so much so that Netflix helped fund its 7th season. It has a good format for binge-watching, what with the highly serialized storytelling and all the cliffhangers. Even if it's not a "Once Upon a Time" show, I'd be shocked if Disney didn't do something similar. Fairy tale shows are an interesting niche. Just please, please, please keep A&E off the helm. If they want to be consultants, fine. But let someone else do the actual showrunning.

(And I don't mean bringing any of the original actors back. Just something in the vein of OUATIW or new altogether.)

21 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I do wonder if Disney would ever do some sort of spin-off series or reboot on their Disney+ platform, given how much of a marketing machine that service will be.

The new Disney streaming service provided a faint hope that "Once" might have gotten a spinoff or would continue on, since it would need some new anchor series.  The problem was "Once" was never very good at marketing Disney properties. 

I agree that fairy tales are a great niche, but the problem is it's a small and difficult-to-target niche.  There are fantasy shows that are aimed at the pre-teen crowd (the "Descendant" movies), and then ultra-violent fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones" which target adults.  But it's a harder sell to create a show that's in the middle like "Once" (for people like us... the adults who are young at heart and who crave entertainment that's dark and not bleak, LOL).  One could see from the big networks' lineups how rarely they bet on fantasy costume dramas. 

I really hope the success of Wreck-It Ralph encourages Disney to do more mash-ups with their fairy tale franchises.

Edited by Camera One
31 minutes ago, Camera One said:

The problem was "Once" was never very good at marketing Disney properties. 

True, I think Frozen was the only good example of that.

31 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I agree that fairy tales are a great niche, but the problem is it's a small and difficult-to-target niche.  There are fantasy shows that are aimed at the pre-teen crowd (the "Descendant" movies), and then ultra-violent fantasy shows like "Game of Thrones" which target adults.  But it's a harder sell to create a show that's in the middle like "Once" (for people like us... the adults who are young at heart and who crave entertainment that's dark and not bleak, LOL).  One could see from the big networks' lineups how rarely they bet on fantasy costume dramas. 

Fairy tale stuff can either be epic, elegantly simple, or absolute cringe. OUAT fell in the third category more often than not. It's a tough sell because, as you mentioned, fantasy tends to incorporate both childish and adult themes. Like, oh it's kids in a candy house, but they're about to be eaten by a cannibal so they burn her alive. It's tough but rewarding to hit that balance in age demographics, and to be fair, OUAT did a pretty good job of that for the most part. (Excluding, you know, the rape stuff.) It's more of a personal wish of mine to see stuff along the lines of OUAT and not really sound advice for the studio.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:
58 minutes ago, Camera One said:

The problem was "Once" was never very good at marketing Disney properties. 

True, I think Frozen was the only good example of that.

I think with Frozen it was more the other way around, that Once was using Frozen to market itself rather than doing anything to boost Frozen.

I think the niche Once served, which is hugely underserved in television, is multigenerational viewing. There aren't a lot of shows parents can watch with their (older) kids and everyone can enjoy it on their own level. It kind of veered away from that over time (what with all the rape and character death), but then I don't think the writers were necessarily aiming for that family viewing sweet spot. Unfortunately, Hollywood tends to shy away from that and look down on the "family" label, and they don't know how to handle it when they accidentally hit on it. For instance, Timeless. It was perfect family viewing because it wasn't too raunchy, the violence was generally pretty cartoon-level, and it was fun adventures in history, but they put it in the latest prime-time slot. A lot of the viewer feedback was about how it was great to watch with kids, and then they'd run to the Internet and look up the history stuff together or find books to read on the topics, but they had to DVR it since it was on so late. So it got renewed ... and put in the late prime-time slot again. I think Disney/ABC was positioning Once as Sunday-night family viewing, and it wasn't so much that the show itself promoted Disney properties as it was that it attracted the perfect demographic for advertising other Disney properties during the commercial breaks. I think the writers didn't want that niche and wanted to be closer to Game of Thrones.

The upcoming Disney streaming channel seems like a thing where they'd want family viewing options. There's going to be a lot of Star Wars stuff, which should fit that niche, but it would be nice to have something on the fairy tale side of things, as well.

• Love 4

The OUAT Facebook page just posted a random, "Are you an Emma or Elsa this winter?" gif. They just missed our rewatch of 4A. I'm still surprised the page is being run over a year later. The posts are usually just promoting merch.

Edited by KingOfHearts
10 hours ago, Camera One said:

Adam Horowitz @AdamHorowitzLA

If this whole acquisition thing had happened just a few years sooner we coulda had Hoffa on #OUAT. Oh well. #DisneyFox

Where is my eye rolling emoji... 🙄 yeah, that.

• Love 1

Disney's streaming service would be a perfect fit for a "Once" spinoff or a similar mash-up type show.  Currently expected on the new service includes

- A Star Wars Rogue One prequel TV series, starring Diego Luna.

- Several live-action Marvel series 

- A possible What If-themed Marvel series that would imagine what the Marvel Cinematic Universe would look like if different events took place. According to a Slashfilm report, the series would be overseen by MCU head Kevin Feige and would be an animated anthology show. An episode example would reportedly feature how the Marvel timeline would unfold if Loki found Thor's hammer.

- A live-action Lady and the Tramp remake.

- A Sword in the Stone remake.

I'm honestly surprised Disney opted to have A&E write a Muppet series instead. That seems like the perfect platform for something like an OUAT reboot/spin-off. I suppose they could be waiting for more time to pass so people will eventually feel nostalgic and want to revisit it. Sadly, hardly anyone even remembers the show and it's only been cancelled for a year, LOL.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Camera One said:

Adam Horowitz @AdamHorowitzLA

If this whole acquisition thing had happened just a few years sooner we coulda had Hoffa on #OUAT. Oh well. #DisneyFox

Huh.  He went for a movie that lost money and was nominated for two razzies?  What am I missing?  He wanted to make a mafia reference and that is the only gangster movie Fox ever made?

• Love 1

Just because the show ended doesn't mean the non-answers should:

𝓡𝔬𝔟𝔦𝔫 𝓗𝔬𝔬𝔡  @LionheartThief

We never did learn what happened to Rufio, @AdamHorowitzLA . What did happen?

Adam Horowitz @AdamHorowitzLA

Replying to @LionheartThief     It... wasn’t good. #nospoilers

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Wait, who was Rufio?

In the movie Hook, with Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams, Rufio was the leader of the Lost Boys and Captain Hook (Hoffman) killed him. In the Neverland arc, OUAT Hook made a throwaway reference to...Felix, I think, something like "remember what I did to Rufio."

I was reading Adam's twitter about his dispute with Delta Airlines representative about seating his kid away from him.  

Adam Horowitz  @AdamHorowitzLA

Mr. Shatner, you have no idea how rude the @delta  representative was to me. He literally hung up on me. Showed no compassion for a six year old forced to fly away from his parents

From a "Once" lens, shouldn't we show some compassion to the Delta representative?  They were just being bold and audacious.  Or maybe the Delta rep was just a difficult person to love and not acting like the person we know he/she could be.

• LOL 2
On 4/14/2019 at 11:58 PM, Camera One said:

LOL at the comments section in that article.  Adam should tweet that 18 out of 18 people surveyed would be disappointed if "Once" left Netflix.

Now we can all collectively hope in vain for that Disney+ spin-off. It's too bad A&E are doing the Muppets instead.

Edited by KingOfHearts

Seth Boston  @RoomOneThirteen·

In the Gotham room we once tossed around a half hour sitcom idea where Penguin and Riddler were roommates. @DCComics @WarnerBrosEnt get at me. 

Brigitte Hales  @InkTankGirl

A joke pitch about a fake show in the AMAZING STORIES room ended up as a real show I'm now actually pitching with my bosses. You never know.

So what does A&E have up their sleeves this time?

Colin shaved his beard, sideburns and his hair is cut super close on the sides. Wondering if it’s for a role. He looks way different, I don’t like it. 😂 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:26 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Bex is awesome. I'm happy for her.

It's a crime she didn't get better material to work with on OUAT. She was bursting with personality, warmth, and charisma. 

I just noticed she had a bit part in Iron Man 3.

Most ironic tweet from Adam in June 2019

Adam Horowitz  @AdamHorowitzLA

Never underestimate the audience. They are smarter than you think.

8:51 PM · Jun 12, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Camera One said:

Most ironic tweet from Adam in June 2019

And that's just one from this month.

Never underestimate the audience. They are smarter than you think.

I guess OUAT was a learning experience in this department?

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I haven't been keeping up with the cast since the show ended, but decided to look around. Rebecca Mader just announced they are having a boy in October. 

I found a lot of pics of Josh, Ginnifer and their kids on Daily Mail website. They really love going to Disneyland:

13560402-7035365-Disneyland_day_Just_a_m

I really miss the show.

• Love 2

I was trying to find the OUAT soundtrack on Spotify, but all they have is the Musical Episode and Season 7. One of the tracks of S7 is titled, "The Good Curse", LOL.

(I realize the other season soundtracks are on Soundcloud and YouTube, but Spotify is the most convenient for me, especially on my phone.)

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I was trying to find the OUAT soundtrack on Spotify, but all they have is the Musical Episode and Season 7. One of the tracks of S7 is titled, "The Good Curse", LOL.

I couldn't find it within Spotify search, but I typed "Once Upon a Time Soundtracks Spotify" into google and there were links to the Season 1 and Season 2 soundtracks. that opened on the Spotify website.  I haven't used Spotify before so I don't know if the tracks work, though. 

Edited by Camera One