Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Camera One said:

Here's another hit-and-miss 10 Plot Twists That Hurt / Saved X show.  I'm not sure the writers of these know what the word "saved" means.  "Added to", maybe.  Not saved.  Surprisingly, it's not glowing about Regina, but there were definitely a few that made me laugh (eg. #12 and accompanying commentary).

https://screenrant.com/once-upon-a-time-plot-twists-hurt-saved/

I really like this article. It was right about things that hurt the show and things that helped it. Each one was what everyone here has mentioned. Including Hurt: Attempting to redeem Regina by magically declaring her the person capable of the greatest light

There are pros and cons to argue on both sides of this perspective. If evil isn't born, but made, then no one has to ever take accountability for their actions - they can just blame someone else for causing them to be bad.

This is the kind of behavior that the allegedly reformed Regina displayed for much of the series' run, even as she claimed to have moved long past being the Evil Queen everyone loathed and feared.

Yet despite showing no real change or growth or regret of any form, the series adds insult to injury by claiming that Regina is capable of producing the greatest light.

This is after viewers have seen her produce nothing but darkness.

I can't remember the last time I've seen an article bring that up. I liked the mentions about Neal/Bae being Emma's ex and Rumple's son making Zelena, Regina's sister. Marion mention was correct but they did leave out the other part people had a problem with. Regina murdered Marion in the past because she wouldn't tell her where Snow was and no one had a real reaction to that except Marion. Regina didn't give a crap and blamed Emma for saving Marion's life. Robin acted more upset to have to leave Regina and go back to Marion rather then caring that his new girlfriend murdered his wife which was only undone by Emma, Snow encouraging Regina to have an affair with Robin cause what you'd say about someone wanting to sleep with the husband of the woman who refused to give up your whereabouts to the end, Henry wishing Marion was dead and crypt sex. They only made up that Zelena part when everyone was horrified instead of moved by Regina and Robin's actions (I doubt they cared about what people thought of Snow or Henry).  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

She gets things wrong..like Jaffar being trapped in a bottle..I did agree on one thing she touched on...such as suddenly Jefferson, Red, Tink etc being important and then just disappearing.  The producers should have had agreements with actors and I know it doesnt always work but..its just weird that they disappear with no mention of them..have a group of people moving to the LWOM (if the last seaons didnt just blow everything that the first six said about that) people that would make sense like sweet pouty Jefferson and his kid (I would think he had enough of magic) of Red who wanted to go to college when cursed and would want to live without magic so she doesnt kill people in the full moon.  Then they can make guest appearences when the other characters ventured out into the LWOM .

Meridia I just cant ...

• Love 2

"Baelfire was also a hero, sacrificing himself to save his father. Emma went on to name her second son after him."

Yeah, this person definitely watched the show and for sure didn't just half skim a wiki at three in the morning. 

I think whoever wrote this didn't understand the difference between "hurt the show" and "was wasted by the show."

Edited by RolloTomasi
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Exactly..he was a great villain....can you imagine a Jafar and Cora alliance???

Funny thing is that Barbara Hershey and Naveen Andrews (the actor who portrayed Jafar in OUATIW) were actually in a relationship at one point.

• Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Funny thing is that Barbara Hershey and Naveen Andrews (the actor who portrayed Jafar in OUATIW) were actually in a relationship at one point.

What hurt the show was killing Cora and then making her have a half ass redemption. I loved Cora just cause she was evil and made no bones or apologies. Sure she was poor and screwed over by her drunk father and Zelenas' father..but she wanted power and never cried about anything.  They should have had a "Phantom Zone" where they banished the big bads so they could break out and cause havoc again. Jafar and Cora would be fun.

• Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, Mitch said:

She gets things wrong..like Jaffar being trapped in a bottle..I did agree on one thing she touched on...such as suddenly Jefferson, Red, Tink etc being important and then just disappearing.  The producers should have had agreements with actors and I know it doesnt always work but..its just weird that they disappear with no mention of them..have a group of people moving to the LWOM (if the last seaons didnt just blow everything that the first six said about that) people that would make sense like sweet pouty Jefferson and his kid (I would think he had enough of magic) of Red who wanted to go to college when cursed and would want to live without magic so she doesnt kill people in the full moon.  Then they can make guest appearences when the other characters ventured out into the LWOM .

Meridia I just cant ...

But Jafar WAS trapped in a bottle.  It just didn't happen on OUAT.  It happened on Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and it's how he was ultimately defeated there when he was turned into a genie as punishment for taking the Nyx's water without her permission.

• Love 1

Special features for Season 7:

• The Fairest Bloopers Of Them All (05:03)
• Deleted Scenes:
-Ground Breaking (2:10)
-I Know Who You Are
-I Didn’t Expect t See You
-If She Can Change…
-A Promise [E18]
-The Hopeful Ones [E21]
-In a Hurry [E22]
• Audio Commentaries: 
-Episode 7.01 "Hyperion Heights"
-Episode 7.21 "Homecoming"
• And They Lived Happily Ever After (22:15)
• Capturing Magic: Lana’s Directorial Debut (03:46)

I'm riveted to watch the last one.

• Love 3

Aren't there usually more than two audio commentaries? This doesn't seem like a lot of bonus features. I may wait until we get to that spot on the rewatch before I buy this season, and by then maybe it'll be cheaper (or I can find it used). I can't imagine running out to buy it on release day.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Aren't there usually more than two audio commentaries? This doesn't seem like a lot of bonus features. I may wait until we get to that spot on the rewatch before I buy this season, and by then maybe it'll be cheaper (or I can find it used). I can't imagine running out to buy it on release day.

You would probably be the only person in line on day one anyway.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Based on the comments to some of the Facebook posts, there may be a few eager to have their very own copy of Regina's coronation as Queen of the Universe. But still probably not a mob scene at my neighborhood Target.

39 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

What do you mean?  I was planning to camp out overnight to make sure I get a copy!

Only 7 deleted scenes?  

I'm not a huge fan of reviews for products that haven't been released yet, but I did have to laugh at some of the reviews on Amazon.  I'm not sure this season is worth $43.  

Edited by Camera One

20 Things About Once Upon A Time Everyone Gets Wrong

Another craptastic article from ScreenRant.

For example, Ruby could have been working at Granny's all along - the main heroes just weren't waited upon by her.

As if we needed any indication the writer had never seen much of the show. We know for a fact Ruby left Storybrooke at the end of 3B, got kidnapped by the Witch from Brave, then went touring the realms with Mulan and later Dorothy. 

However, the more characters were introduced and the more worlds the characters ventured into, it became clearer and clearer that time didn't work the same way everywhere.

Yeah, sorry - the whole "time moves differently in different realms" doesn't fix S7's mess. 

While season four dabbled with alternate universes, memories were never wiped or reset in the way they were in every other season.

I can't really give S4 a pass on this one because 4A had so many memory wipes for the Frozen gang and Emma. It was like having a curse but not really.

17 RUBY'S ORIENTATION IS MORE NUANCED THAN SOME VIEWERS BELIEVE

While some were quick to label her a lesbian due to her relationship with Dorothy, Ruby's orientation is much more likely to be considered bi.

*snickers* As if A&E were really thinking about sexual orientation beyond "we need an LGBT couple".

A long time ago, in the Enchanted Forest, Captain Hook himself was very nearly Henry's step grandfather. Before he was Captain Hook, when he was only Killian Jones, Killian took up with Milah, the wife of Rumpelstiltskin.

I don't think this really counts. I highly doubt Hook and Milah ever intended to get any sort of legal marriage.

13 ZELENA ASSAULTED ROBIN

I believe the term is "raped".

12 REGINA NEVER MADE AMENDS FOR WHAT SHE DID AS THE EVIL QUEEN

Despite never once apologizing for all she did to terrorize the Charming family - Snow and Emma in particular - or making any sort of amends with the townspeople she cursed and manipulated for 28 long years, Regina was suddenly forgiven.

Adding insult to injury, the Charming family often found themselves apologizing to her, as if her violent, abusive behavior was their fault all along.

If that doesn't scream "toxic," we're not sure what does.

Okay, I thought this article was full of BS, but then I read this. I'm so glad there are people outside this forum who didn't drink the koolaid.

11 NEAL WAS NEVER A GOOD GUY

Another point we can agree on. This writer was smarter than I thought.

In no world would he have been the right man for Emma or a good father to Henry because he could never accept accountability for any of his many wrongdoings.

But I do kind of disagree with this. He did apologize to Emma and admitted he was in the wrong. He pledged to be a good father to Panry. The problem when he died and got exalted as a hero. Neal never got much of a chance to prove himself or correct his past. He didn't get an opportunity to actually parent Henry. I still didn't like him and thought he was too stupid to live, but I wouldn't say he never accepted accountability or couldn't become a good father for Henry.

However, in the end, none of these events ever occurred.

So no matter how offensive some suggestions were in this world, none of it mattered anyway - in effect wasting two entire episodes of the series

Uh.. everything in the Wish Realm DID happen. Did they not watch S7?

5 REGINA'S ADOPTION OF HENRY WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN LEGAL

This made me LOL because of the conversations we've been having in other threads about S1. Henry's adoption was all kinds of shady.

4 ALMOST ALL OF THE MAIN COUPLES ARE INCREDIBLY TOXIC

I agree with this for Outlaw Queen and Rumpbelle. Captain Swan got iffy in S6, but the other two couples were toxic from the get-go.

3 REGINA ASSAULTED GRAHAM

I believe the term is "raped".

1 THE SHOW WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE EMMA'S STORY

Or, at least, that's how the show was meant to be.

However, most likely in attempts to pander to vocal fan bases on social media, as the seasons wore on, characters who were clearly originally meant to be supporting began to receive greater prominence.

*slow clap*

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

That article confused me.  I couldn't tell if those statements were the errors viewers believed or the "true" statements.  It says at the top "Here are the most common misconceptions" and then the writer defends some of those "misconceptions".  The article needs a follow-up "20 Things The Writer Of This Article Got Wrong" (And 20 Things She Got Right!  And 20 Things That Are Too Subjective To Call!).

However, in a world of fairytales, expecting anything more than that is simply asking too much.

What does it matter, exactly, when some of these events took place as long as we know that they were a long time ago in a universe not at all like our own?

Yeah, what does it matter?  Who cares if nothing makes sense and you can't figure out the actual sequence of major events since they don't correlate from one episode to the next? 

18. Memory Wipes Didn't Happen In Every Season

While season four dabbled with alternate universes, memories were never wiped or reset in the way they were in every other season.

I agree with KingofHearts that Season 4 still had plenty of it, from the Frozen flashback, to Ingrid erasing Emma's memories, to the whole Trapped in a Book plotline in the season finale.  They were given fake memories and played them over and over in Isaac's book.

Technically, some characters' memories were wiped on a smaller scale even in Season 2.  Regina mind-wiped Henry, for example.  Belle's memories were reset as Lacey.

So yeah, memory wipes only happened in Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7!  Not EVERY season.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

He did apologize to Emma and admitted he was in the wrong.

But then he kept saying "I had no choice," which was definitely not accepting responsibility. The problem was that they seemed to have changed their minds between the initial encounter with Neal and the way they saw him later. So initially he apologized, but after that he was willing to throw Emma under the bus with Henry rather than taking responsibility for the way things had gone with her that led to him not being in Henry's life, and after that, every time what he did to Emma was mentioned, he said, "I had no choice!" to the point that even Emma was repeating that mantra.

I wonder how one gets to write an article such as this. I mean, I could rant like this on my blog, but maybe I should look for a place to post it for me. I'm sure I have equivalent credentials to any of these writers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

But then he kept saying "I had no choice," which was definitely not accepting responsibility. The problem was that they seemed to have changed their minds between the initial encounter with Neal and the way they saw him later. So initially he apologized, but after that he was willing to throw Emma under the bus with Henry rather than taking responsibility for the way things had gone with her that led to him not being in Henry's life, and after that, every time what he did to Emma was mentioned, he said, "I had no choice!" to the point that even Emma was repeating that mantra.

I remember Emma saying it, but when did Neal say "I had no choice" after apologizing? My memory is just a little foggy.

Edited by KingOfHearts
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

Yeah, what does it matter?  Who cares if nothing makes sense and you can't figure out the actual sequence of major events since they don't correlate from one episode to the next? 

There's stuff where it doesn't matter, like we didn't really need to know how old Rumple was since he was immortal and Hook/Baelfire were ageless in Neverland. But when the length of time between events could have major ramifications on the plot, we need more substance. For example, a couple dating/courting for a week is very different from one that's been together months or a year. There's also things like aging and pregnancies. You have to take the Curse into account because it's the premise of the show. You can't do crap like "Three years ago" like they did in 5A and not put "Before the Curse". That's just lazy. Largely why their lack of a consistent timeline is a problem is because it shows the writers don't have a firm grip on their own fictional universe.

That's not even touching on S7.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

we didn't really need to know how old Rumple was since he was immortal and Hook/Baelfire were ageless in Neverland.

It still annoys me that they could never decide how long Rumple was the Dark One/Hook was in Neverland. Initially, it seemed like they were pitching it at 300 years, then it became 200, then at some point less than 200, but then the Apprentice said "Rumplestiltskin has been the Dark One for centuries" in the S4 finale and that sticks in my mind because less than 200 years is not "centuries" it is a century plus change, and that kind of thing really grates on me. Maybe not crucial to the plot, but still

• Love 3
11 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I remember Emma saying it, but when did Neal say "I had no choice" after apologizing? My memory is just a little foggy.

My memory must be foggy, too. I'm sure I can hear his voice in my head saying it, but I can't remember when. Maybe I just have that impression because Emma's tone when she said it had a weary "yeah, yeah, I know, you say that every time it comes up" quality to it, like she'd heard it before, a lot, and so I'm imagining what he might have said offscreen. I guess it's something to look for in the rewatch when we get to that point.

From the DVD list:

Capturing Magic: Lana’s Directorial Debut (03:46)

Making a feature out of a cast member attempting to direct seems rather unusual. I swear, the way she seems to be treated by this show, with all her "suggestions" and "ideas" getting written into the show, her character apparently being changed to suit her wishes (even though it makes no sense in the story), the series ending up revolving around her character, the "reboot" version of her character being based essentially on herself, and them making a big deal out of her directing an episode, you'd think she was the big star coming into this series whose attachment to it was what got it greenlit, so she even had some kind of "producer" credit that allowed her to call the shots. Or it's what you sometimes see with the person we later learn was the mistress of one of the executives. Neither seem to be true here, so what's the deal? Yeah, some of the Regina centrism was because it was what the showrunners wanted, but there were also demands that were apparently caved to reluctantly (like the love interest) and then essentially sabotaged, so it comes across like them feeling obligated to do something they didn't want to do. I really need the behind-the-scenes tell-all book about this series.

Edited by Shanna Marie
a spoiler isn't the same thing as a quote
  • Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Shanna Marie said:

From the DVD list:

Making a feature out of a cast member attempting to direct seems rather unusual. 

I don't think its unusual.  I can't recall a time where a show that has a fandom vs casual audience didn't hype the heck out of a cast member directing and produce a DVD feature.

I'm pretty sure Jensen Ackles first time directing Supernatural had a thirty minute DVD feature and it wasn't the last one they did.  They gave Lana three minutes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

There are low or no copies of the Season 7 blu-ray in stores. OUaT used to be a big seller, now no one cares.

One of A&E's biggest mistakes in later years was alienating every single group of shippers. They were the only people remotely invested in  the show in S5/S6 and all of them got the shaft.

• Love 1

Exclusive 'Once Upon a Time' Season 7 Deleted Scene: 'I Didn't Expect to See You Here'

Here's the actual description for S7:

Mull over the epic adventure and long-dissipated magic as television’s most bold and audacious tale concludes in ABC’s Once Upon a Time: The Complete Seventh and  (Hopefully) Final Season. A few years (probably, we're not sure) after the Final-Final-But-Not-Really Battle in Storybrooke, a grown-up Henry Mills leaves home in search of his own destiny. What he finds is an odd infatuation with a super-progressive Cinderella and unexpected danger from her edgy stepmother and stepsister—plus the added menace of Mother Gothel, a villainous wood nymph from Party City. And when the latest Dark Curse erases his and a few other people's memories, it’s up to Henry and Murderella’s daughter Lucy, with the hovering of Rongina, WHoke, Beaver, and a hippie from San Francisco, to defeat Mophead and end her reign of raping people in a tower. If they succeed, will Rumple and DumBelle ever be reunited? Will Regina finally get her happy ending and will all past memories be restored? Who the hell cares.

That deleted scene made me miss WHook. Henry's "romantic interactions" with Jacinda were cringy at best.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Colin was clearly still having a lot of fun on the show.  He might have re-signed for an eighth season if the show had continued.

4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Henry's "romantic interactions" with Jacinda were cringy at best.

Who knew we would be "treated" to more new material with that coupling.  I guess we finally get a scene of Jacinda actually working in the food truck.

Edited by Camera One

In the "And They Lived Happily Ever After" DVD featurette, Lana Parilla revealed her favorite episode to film.  It was actually in Season 6.  Episode

Spoiler

I wonder if they got guest actors to film something for this, when they came in to shoot the two-hour finale.  I was really surprised the featurette had brief soundbites from

Spoiler

Queen Geneviere.  Did she make a cameo that no one caught?  Seriously speaking, though, there were other old cast members they brought back to talk who weren't in the finale (eg. Gideon), but she was definitely a strange choice.  I guess the actors who played Rumple and Belle were unavailable?

Edited by Camera One
39 minutes ago, Camera One said:

In the "And They Lived Happily Ever After" DVD featurette,

It's interesting that during the "shipping" section, A&E immediately mention Swan Queen. The way it's edited, it sounds like that's their favorite ship.

I know the cast and crew have to do it, but I find it difficult to stomach the comments about how "life-changing" and "amazing" the show is. I chuckled at Brigitte Hales saying the craziest ideas are always the best ones in regard to things like worldbuilding and magic.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

It's interesting that during the "shipping" section, A&E immediately mention Swan Queen. The way it's edited, it sounds like that's their favorite ship.

The cowardice of A&E and the constant pandering they did for that group when it was never their intention to go there is staggering and rewarding of bad behavior that chased most of the cast off social media. To the point Jmo couldn’t even state the ship she was part of as her favorite for fear of backlash.

• Love 5

Someone upthread mentioned that there was a 30 minute feature for one of the Supernatural cast's directorial debut. How is it even possible to get that much interesting footage for a job that is not all that involved? I assume that regular directors of the show have a few more responsibilities (though still not as much as people might think), but generally actors are given the job as an ego stroke and they don't do much. The shows are well run machines by the time this is given to the actor. Kevin Smith discussed on his podcast how ridiculously easy it was to direct an episode of TV vs the movies he usually does. He didn't have to do any editing, setting up effects, set layout, scheduling, etc. All that stuff that he has to deal with in a movie was easily managed by others already on TV. He said that they could pretty much give anyone the job and it wouldn't have turned out too horribly differently.

I'm sure it's super fun for these actors to get to be directors for an episode, but it's not really exciting enough to devote lots of time on covering it. Three minutes for the Lana fans out there is great and I'm happy they got something, but I'd rather watch the episode than cringe at people pretending how awesome they are behind the camera. Also, the second hand embarrassment I feel when an actor turned director claims that they've brought out some of the best acting out of their costars just due to their sheer prodigy like talent at directing is hard for me to deal with.

• Love 6

All of which is hilarious, when you remember that Lana's episode was notably a crappily directed episode, at least compared to other episodes. I mean, it was alright and the regulars were doing the same performances as ever, but the blocking was super weird, and you could see that some of the camera angles were off. It seems rather amateur, which does make sense from a non director, but I wouldn't be bragging endlessly about it. I mean, this show can at least usually handle basic directing, if nothing else! 

And didnt Lana also call one of the actors old in an interview? Sure she LOVED that.

• Love 3