Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)
11 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

So did A&E ever do a "victory lap" interview and explain the whacked out nonsense in the finale?

This would be one of them.  They were published at night after the series finale:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/once-upon-a-time-series-finale-adam-horowitz-eddie-kitsis/

Highlights included:

What we loved was having Emma, who — the whole pilot was about getting her to safety, to break the curse, to defeat the Queen — [she] is now coming to the coronation of that very queen because they're now friends.

Edited by Camera One
(edited)

So here they are basically admitting that Emma's final scene in the series....is all about Regina, and "how far Regina's come", and that it "symbolizes the whole series".

Some other gems:

This is something that for a very long time we knew we wanted to build to, which was the redemption of Regina and her becoming the Good Queen.

and

once we learned the news that we would be ending this year, we geared the end of the season to reach this point.

You did a HORRIBLE job building to this, both long-term (due to Regina's terrible quasi-redemption) and short term (HOW was the end of the season geared to reach this point? It literally comes out of nowhere.)

Watching Jared Gilmore as dark Henry was awesome but also super disturbing. Why did you guys decide to go so dark with him, but then still redeem him in the end?

Wow, so the interviewer seems to imply that Sir Henry, who was "so dark" because he wanted justice for his grandparents and his own ruined life, maybe should NOT have been redeemed in the end and just gotten killed off.  As opposed, of course, to said murderer of his grandparents and ruiner of his life. 

And so Rumple giving his life for somebody who used to be his enemy

A&E really seem to forget that Rogers was NOT OG Hook like they probably initially wanted him to be - he was never Rumple's enemy.

Horowitz: My hope is that the optimism and the hopefulness of the show will stick with our fans and resonate with them in some way.

Kitsis: Yeah. I think hopefully our fans will think about what the show's taught, that if we become the best version of ourselves and we hold onto hope, good things will happen eventually, even if they don't happen the way we want or when we want. I think that the show inspired a lot of people in many different ways, some to be writers, some to just be more hopeful. But for us, we really just want it to be a light of hope in a world that is often chaotic or scary.

Yeah, I've...got no comment here.

Edited by Inquirer
  • Love 10
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, Inquirer said:

I think that the show inspired a lot of people in many different ways, some to be writers, some to just be more hopeful.

I think this part is true. They inspired some to write alternate and better versions of their stories in fanfic and they inspired some to hope for these actors to get better jobs now that they are free of this mess.

• Love 11

Yeah, “so dark”, him wanting justice for his murdered family. Doesn’t he know only Regina and Rumple are allowed to beat people who have wronged them? Anyone else is a villain of the highest order! Dear god this show.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

ETA: Nevermind. I see they are all in the Bad section.

OUAT belongs in The Bad Place. I hope it wins many awards. ;)

On 6/6/2018 at 10:10 AM, Inquirer said:

This is something that for a very long time we knew we wanted to build to, which was the redemption of Regina and her becoming the Good Queen.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't push Regina even harder in the S6 finale. Other than Clone Queen and the "QUEEN" sign on the door, she was very irrelevant for the entirety of it. Since A&E thought that could've been the series finale, and they've been planning "Good Queen" for long, it's weird they waited until the end of S7 to go all horrific fanfic on everybody.

6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I didn't see any. Where?

ETA: Nevermind. I see they are all in the Bad section.

There is one Good option -- CS in Best Couple.

(edited)

10 Casting Decisions That Hurt Once Upon A Time (And 10 that Saved It)

I agree with some of these, but disagree with just as many. I don't think Elsa, Bo Peep, Arthur, or Mulan were miscasts. You're telling me the Shadow made the list, but Emma didn't? I would've added Neal as a miscast. 

Tying with Robert Carlyle for appearing in every episode of the seven seasons, Parrilla has been praised by critics, and downright exalted by fans. She plays Regina Mills in Storybrooke and the Evil Queen in the Enchanted Forest.

Watching her take as the Evil Queen proves that a well-constructed villain is much more memorable that a well-constructed hero.

Not to be a Regina/Lana hater, but to me there's a lot of hyperbole over the character and the actress. Even if I liked Regina, I wouldn't say she's that outstanding or that Lana was amazing. I understand some fans worship the ground Regina walks on, but the media tends to reverberate how much of a goddess she is. I don't really get it. I vehemently disagree with a "well-constructed villain" being much more memorable than a "well-constructed hero". 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why am I not surprised at the #1 Saved.  The list felt random.  Elsa was so difficult to cast but the actress really nailed the performance.  With the internet, any Sleepy, Dopey or Sneezy can write an "article" that looks official when it just represents one person's opinion.  I didn't even read the write-up for Regina.  How does her performance "prove" that assertion?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Why am I not surprised at the #1 Saved.  The list felt random.  Elsa was so difficult to cast but the actress really nailed the performance.  With the internet, any Sleepy, Dopey or Sneezy can write an "article" that looks official when it just represents one person's opinion.  I didn't even read the write-up for Regina.  How does her performance "prove" that assertion?  

I don't know what's up with Once Upon a Time when it comes to reviews and analyses on the internet. Other shows seem to have in-depth criticism, but every reviewer I've seen outside of these boards seem to have drunk some kind of kool-aid. It's not that they have opinions I disagree with, but they never break surface level. They never point out the fundamental flaws of the writing that so many other shows share. Discussion about the show is typically vague and unnecessarily subjective. "I don't like this character", "I stopped watching at x arc", "There's too many dropped plots/characters", etc. I'm just surprised there aren't more critics out there jumping to eviscerate this show.

• Love 2
(edited)

BEST AND WORST CHARACTERS OPENING A DOOR ON ONCE UPON A TIME

As Anna sings in "Frozen", "Love is an Open Door" and I need to write another article for ad dollars on this worthless entertainment site, so let's take a look at the best and worst characters opening a door on "Once Upon a Time"!

#2 WORST - BRENNAN OPENS THE DOOR

We didn't feel the performance when Brennan opened the door to his son Hook.  Sorry!  But you can tell we definitely spent extra time on google research by picking such an obscure example.

#2 BEST - ADULT HENRY OPENS DOOR

Who didn't get flutters in their stomach when Adult Henry opened the door to find his daughter Lucy in the Season 6 finale!  What else can we say.  We're speechless!

#1 WORST - BLUE FAIRY OPENS FLOWER

Technically it was more a flower petal, not a door, but it was hard to find scenes where people opened doors.  Anyway, Blue was really mean to Tinkerbelle, who was trying to help our favorite character Regina find love.  

#1 BEST - REGINA OPENS THE DOOR

Regina opens many doors on this show, and every instance was more awe-inspiring than the last.  How can we forget Regina opening the door to the Mayor's house, her face filled with worry for her wayward son Henry who ran away.  Or when Regina opened the door and stopped Snow from committing suicide by refusing to crush her heart after Snow had committed an unthinkable and immoral act.  Even when Regina doesn't open the door, it's epic, like when Regina and Emma stood on opposite sides of the door à la Elsa and Anna in "Frozen".  

Who's your favorite character who opened a door!  Drive extra traffic to our site by making a comment below!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I just saw the Lana retweeted this article. We all know she has a huge ego, but this is bad even for her. It openly trashes 10 of her colleagues (while giving backhanded compliments to a couple more). I can't even give her the benefit of the doubt to say that she didn't read it, because if she hadn't read it she wouldn't know if she was one of the decisions that "hurt" or "helped" the show. Clearly this was written by a fan, not a real writer (hello multiple typos), so all the more reason to ignore it. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Why is Pan's other name Robbie Mills? Did I forget that?

It's a nickname used by "stark fans of the show" that point to Bo Peep's "casting as a blemish in one of their favorite programs."  

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Anyone who disses Haig's performance as Elsa needs to have their head examined. 

Nobody could've done it better. Elsa is not an expressive character, unless she's building ice castles. I thought Haig was spot on. It still boggles my mind that Disney even let A&E mess with Frozen while it was still so popular.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

If they think Bo Peep's casting was a blemish, then they lose all credibility. Evil Warlord Bo Peep is one of my favorite things this show ever did, from the very concept of Bo Peep being an evil warlord to the casting to the costuming to her Storybrooke persona. I just wish she hadn't been wasted in a lame story that had Anna teaching David to have courage and use a sword in five minutes. She could have made for a fun antagonist for multiple episodes in both the past and in Storybrooke. She's the sort of person who would have started recruiting other villains and henchmen to try to rebuild her power base.

• Love 10

Bo Peep was such a fun twist on the nursery rhyme character. This is the sort of whimsical take on fairy tales that I would've liked to see more of. It's when the show took itself too seriously that it failed the most.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

She's the sort of person who would have started recruiting other villains and henchmen to try to rebuild her power base.

Move over, Queens of Darkness. We've got Bo Peep, Miss Muffet, and Mother Goose, and they're ready to kick some ass.

• Love 3
On 7/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Move over, Queens of Darkness. We've got Bo Peep, Miss Muffet, and Mother Goose, and they're ready to kick some ass.

..and no one in the GA would have seen it coming. This could have brilliant in the hands of capable show runners.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:58 PM, KingOfHearts said:

I give the author of this rubbish article a thumbs down just on this stunning grammatical fail alone:

'Viewers are smarted than they are given credit for...'

• Love 2

I'm surprised anyone would consider an article about Once as worthwhile click bait. Its audience largely moved on at the end of last season and the cancellation is too recent for there to be a nostalgia factor in wanting to revisit the show overall. I guess the internet isn't really limited in terms of space and no one bothered to copy edit it, so apparently that site will post anything in hopes of getting any traffic at all.  Now I want to write an article as a counterpoint about why a well written hero can be much more compelling than a well written villain. One could even dip a toe into discussing the idea that writing compelling, likable yet flawed heroes is more difficult than doing the same for a villain.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I guess the internet isn't really limited in terms of space and no one bothered to copy edit it, so apparently that site will post anything in hopes of getting any traffic at all. 

That is a big clickbait site and it's written by many different contributors (I don't know if they get paid or not) and I rarely see interviews or anything on it, I think it's just the individual person's thoughts. I remember reading an article on the site about Gotham where they said one character needed to be written out/shouldn't have been there but then a couple of days later it had an article saying the exact opposite and that that character was the saving grace of the show. Different writers. And they always have typos, grammar mistakes and inaccurate details about the shows. They have some fun articles sometimes but it's not exactly a very serious website but hey maybe you could contribute to it and write your article - I'd love to read it!

(edited)

That is well-deserved! The music was consistently great throughout the entire series, so I'm glad they are finally being recognized. I'm especially partial to the Snowing and Captain Swan themes.

I also thought Eduardo and the costumes were worthy of their nominations in past seasons. If I recall correctly, those are the only two aspects of the show that have ever been nominated. Is that right?

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 2
(edited)

Once Upon A Time: 28 Behind-The-Scenes Photos That Completely Change Everything

Lame article, but some of the BTS shots get me nostalgic. It's weird seeing some of the green screen ones because I know what the scenes are supposed to look like. Colin's face at #10, LOL! If I didn't know it was a well at #8, I'd think Emilie was in serious pain. It looks like that really hurt.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Looks like Lana is doing a signing at Comic Con on Sunday. Not really sure why although NBC is doing a Timeless signing as well so... Perhaps they're trying to sell DVDs? Although it looks like she may be the only one so far.

2 hours ago, sharky said:

Looks like Lana is doing a signing at Comic Con on Sunday. Not really sure why although NBC is doing a Timeless signing as well so... Perhaps they're trying to sell DVDs? Although it looks like she may be the only one so far.

I think Lana will be doing Cons for OUAT as long as she lives. 

• Love 3

Lana is signing at the ABC booth on the main floor on the last day. It's just a way to try to bring traffic to the booth and maybe sell some merchandise. I had to laugh to see that she's listed as "Evil Queen/Roni" on their official press stuff. Also amusing is that they talk about the talent being from some of their biggest current and upcoming series including Once Upon a Time. 

• Love 1

A&E's Writing team officially starts today on "Amazing Stories".  

Brigitte Hales‏ @InkTankGirl 23 minutes ago

Day One of this AMAZING adventure (have to stop with that). So happy to be back with three of my favorite bosses in this business. So lucky, so lucky, so lucky...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:
1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

The Dream Team is back together.

Crushing viewers' dreams one "amazing" story at a time.

I will have Hope that this time, the master-writers will truly amaze us all.

5 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I will have Hope that this time, the master-writers will truly amaze us all.

Hope means never having to say you are sorry (for wiping out an entire village).

• Love 4

Obviously the hurt/saved stuff is all subjective and I notice she carefully refrained from mentioning any romantic relationships there. Smart move. However,  it was the beginning that made me wonder where this author has been hanging out because it's almost like she's been reading here.

"What began as a series with an original, engaging premise soon devolved into nothing but bad writing, Disney movie cross promotion, and plot twists substituted for actual narrative coherence.

Characters evolved and regressed at the drop of a hat - almost as though their actions were chosen out of a hat at random.

Certain characters remained constants throughout, becoming beacons of light in the gaping black hole that the show continued to spiral into. However, on the whole, by the time the series reached its fourth or fifth season, it was past the point of return for any hope that it could reclaim the greatness it once possessed."

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 4

Another quote from that article and it really does sound like a lot of our discussions here.

“As we've previously made clear, Once Upon A Time struggled to make Regina into a character worth caring about, particularly since she struggled to care about anyone other than herself.

However, perhaps the most egregious twist of logic and plot the show created because of her was the idea that Henry was, somehow, Regina's True Love.”

• Love 2

8 HURT: ATTEMPTING TO REDEEM REGINA BY MAGICALLY DECLARING HER THE PERSON CAPABLE OF THE GREATEST LIGHT

Did they really say that? I despise that plot with a passion, but with Emma de-powered, Regina sort of won that by default. 

• Love 1