Type keyword(s) to search

Tyson and Ashley: The "Gardner Quad Squad"

I had never heard of this family before the show. They seem like nice people but the way they've detailed their story in such a public way just seems like a freebie grab to me.

When the dad was showing all of the stuff they gotten in the way of donations seemed like he was angling for more.

I hope it's not the case because like I said, they seem like nice people.

This jezebel article has a pretty cynical take on this couple and some interesting links: http://jezebel.com/tlcs-rattled-brings-yet-another-ivf-family-to-prime-tim-1756900724

It was driving me crazy that all the gifts/donated stuff the husband was showing off was half packed up and disorganized.

Their house reminded me of all of the homes on the shows about polygamists like Big Love and (pre cul de sac) Sister Wives. Is that just a Utah thing?

• Love 1

A couple of random thoughts about these two (ugh - four, ugh -six)...

* Ashley's hair is really odd. Sometimes it looks okay and other times it looks like a wig.

* Those are 4 very "Utah-ish" names for those kids. School will be hell.

* I don't know, these two just come off  to me as so deliberate. I mean referencing their "fans" and "followers". I guess it's the world we live in where it matters so much how many subscribers you have to your life.

• Love 1

When I first saw Ashley - she was so shiny she made my eyes hurt.   I don't think I have ever seen such a glowy person before.  She looks like a human unicorn.

I bet she won't break a sweat giving birth to 4 babies!

• Love 1

She's definitely very pageant girl-ish. Both are hyper aware of their image and that they are on camera. I'm sure they're hoping for a show of their own. "The Trouble with Quads" or "Here Come the Quads" or "Quality Time with the Quads" or something.

• Love 2

"How to be Practically Perfect in Every Way.  Now with quads."

I find it odd how much free stuff people send to a couple who had multiples on purpose because they took fertility treatments.  I may be wrong, but if you can afford that...

I kept expecting quad dad to say they were donating some of the gifts to a women/children halfway house or something...  That whole gift thing seemed...  off.  (editing?)

• Love 2

I find it interesting that she is ALWAYS made up. She always looks so "on" for the cameras.

Ashley and Tyson are LDS. I've heard that young LDS wives in certain parts of Utah tend to be extremely "done" all the time: makeup, obviously styled hair, stylish clothes, etc. etc. (It might have something to do with the fact as I understand it that LDS women are discouraged from focusing their careers and encouraged to throw their weight behind marriage and motherhood, so maybe they compete so viciously in things like appearance because they can't compete with each other in terms of career success or educational attainment, as those things aren't valued in LDS women the same way that feminine pursuits like motherhood are...which also might explain why Ashley was so hellbent on children, but that's another matter altogether.)

* Those are 4 very "Utah-ish" names for those kids. School will be hell.

Aw, I like Evangeline, although the general English pronunciation (Ih-VANN-juh-leen) makes it an unfortunate cousin to all those trashy-sounding names ending in "een" or "ene" like Jolene, as opposed to the French pronounciation (Ay-VAHNG-zheh-lee-nuh). On the other hand, pretty much everything sounds more elegant in French. You're not wrong that all four names are very "Utah-ish." "Esme" had better not have anything to do with Twilight.

As for school being hell with names like that, I think kids should receive shitty names, and the shittier, the better. Toughens them up. Tends to make them more interesting people. Especially with girls. Basic, boring girl names almost always produce basic, boring little girls. Not good. I've met a mountain of boring, useless Julias, Jennas, Nicoles, Emmas, Caitlins, Laurens, Claires, and, yes, Ashleys I could stack to the sky. The coolest, smartest, toughest girls I've known had names that guaranteed school mockery aplenty. Not a coincidence.

Edited by Eyes High

Is it me or does Tyson look very much like Bill from "The Little Couple?"  I know Tyson is not a dwarf, I'm talking about his facial features and the way he speaks.  

YES!   I saw that too and thought I was nuts.  Well I am nuts, but boy howdy did I think I crossed over...  (also she seems kind of...  short?).  But gosh she is pretty.  Pretty pretty princess, shiny and pretty.No snarking, she is just so damn glowy I feel like a cat.  Oh, look - SHINY.

Edited by Stella Rose

Good lord, they're exhausted and overwhelmed, why, those babies just won't stop needing stuff! But Ashley is lying down with her head in her hubby's lap, eye makeup perfectly applied! Come ON, show! These two are LDS and that is a very tight knit, neighborly community, no one can make me believe that folks from their church aren't there in shifts helping out with the babies! Why do they think we are idiots!

Cute babies though.

• Love 1

I sad part is the makeup doesn't even stay nice, it gets all junky and messy pretty quickly, only in a few shots does it actually look okay.  I think probably most people with multiples have help, I think to deny it is insulting to the viewer.  Other multiple shows talked about their helpers all the time.

I noticed the makeup thing too, I kept thinking how in the world does she look perfect in each scene with full on makeup and is taking care of 4 babies? I also found it strange that her husband was talking about him working and her being alone with 4 babies. Do they really not have family around or anyone to help at all?

Agree. For some reason I just don't like this couple. Can't put my finger as to why.

People who purposely have multiples and angle for donations irritate the fuck out of me. It's clear Wifey wants her own reality show. She reminds me of how Michelle Duggar was with Josie, lapping up all the attention from having a kid in the NICU.

And will somebody please teach her how to properly contour? Those dirt streaks on her cheeks drive me crazy.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Oh right, Ashley. You are home ALONE with FOUR BABIES and NO HELP! Where's your family? Tyson's family? Your church community? What sort of chumps do you take us for? Almost as bad was the "let's discuss our finances for a minute" scene. Why, goodness me, look at how much diapers cost! These two are utterly phony and so obviously angling for a show of their own its painful.

Cute babies though.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 1

Oh right, Ashley. You are home ALONE with FOUR BABIES and NO HELP! Where's your family? Tyson's family? Your church community? What sort of chumps do you take us for?

Any woman who has four infants and still has time to do a full face of stage makeup has household help. Ashley and her husband are completely full of crap.

• Love 5

Bitter Apple, you're on this forum also!  Great comments, esp this: "Any woman who has four infants and still has time to do a full face of stage makeup has household help. Ashley and her husband are completely full of crap."

They're definitely upping the ante for the cameras.  I feel sorry for those babies- they must have been in pain in the hospital with all of those tubes.  Now, all of the oxygen tanks/cords in the house.  I have a big problem with these people taking hormones to get pregnant while knowing the consequences (my humble opinion).

• Love 2

I came over here from TWOP and I love to read about the shows I watch - whether it's a show I love or a show I hate.  I very, very rarely post but I feel as though I need to defend the Gardners.   I first saw them when the video went viral that showed their reactions when the ultrasound showed 4 babies.   Since then, I have followed their YouTube channel throughout the pregnancy, birth of the babies and daily since then.  They went through years of infertility treatments and finally did IVF - implanting 2 eggs - hoping for twins. They were not trying for 4 or more babies.  Both of the implanted eggs split resulting in 2 sets of identical twins.  There was a 1 in several million chances that this would happen.

I see a lot of mean comments about Ashley's makeup on the show.  I am certain that when TLC was there filming for the show, they brought hair and makeup people who are responsible for Ashley's appearance.   If you think this is an every day occurrence, you would be wrong.   They post a daily video on their YouTube Channel and I am going to post a couple of pictures so you can see how Ashley often looks.   But if you knew there would be video and pictures taken of you, wouldn't you try to look your best?  In their day to day lives, Ashley looks just like the rest of us.She and Tyson give us a look at their lives and they don't try to hide anything.  We see the good, the bad and the ugly.

These are two very kind hearted, good people who are sharing their lives with us. And make no mistake, the adorable babies are the stars of the videos.   Tyson and Ashley love these babies dearly and are doing a good job of caring for them.   Their daily videos and their Etsy shop make it possible for both of them to stay home and give the babies both Mom and Dad to care for them.   Watch some of their videos - these give a much truer picture than the TLC show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbhAy7TUUAAWSXM.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaRnaP6UcAABqQ3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb8oUNIUEAAtvAC.jpg:large

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBRd2wWDC5h/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcCiFiLUsAA3MKx.jpg

Edited to add:  Amazingly, all 4 babies are fat and healthy and none are still using oxygen or on monitors.  They are crawling, trying to walk, have several teeth and say Mama and Dada.  They seem perfectly normal.

TLC made it look as though all 4 babies came home on the same day.  In fact, one came home.  A few days later, 2 more came home.  And then finally the last baby came home.  In their video, Tyson and Ashley were very gracious in explaining that TLC did not have time to show every detail.  I think TLC was also responsible for making it look as though they have no help. Actually they both have very supportive, large families.  So attribute some of your misconceptions on TLC drama.

Edited by TerryeW1
  • Love 1

But Ashley said it herself. She said it repeatedly. "I'm all alone with four babies and no one to help me! Its so hard!" No producer manipulation there. Mars and Kristina and even model Destiny weren't in Full Cheerleader makeup for their segments. Ashley has false eyelashes on! That makes me side eye her plunking down on the couch and sighing"oh gosh its so hard to take care of all these babies all alone I'm so tired". I posted upthread that they are LDS, famous for large, close knit families and an equally close knit church community, so it seemed fishy that they did not have an army of volunteers at the ready, round the clock. I don't dispute that they love their babies or that they are good parents, btw. But do I think they want a TV show? Oh, yes. 

• Love 4

These are two very kind hearted, good people who are sharing their lives with us. And make no mistake, the adorable babies are the stars of the videos.   Tyson and Ashley love these babies dearly and are doing a good job of caring for them.   Their daily videos and their Etsy shop make it possible for both of them to stay home and give the babies both Mom and Dad to care for them.   Watch some of their videos - these give a much truer picture than the TLC show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbhAy7TUUAAWSXM.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaRnaP6UcAABqQ3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cb8oUNIUEAAtvAC.jpg:large

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBRd2wWDC5h/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcCiFiLUsAA3MKx.jpg

Edited to add:  Amazingly, all 4 babies are fat and healthy and none are still using oxygen or on monitors.  They are crawling, trying to walk, have several teeth and say Mama and Dada.  They seem perfectly normal.

TLC made it look as though all 4 babies came home on the same day.  In fact, one came home.  A few days later, 2 more came home.  And then finally the last baby came home.  In their video, Tyson and Ashley were very gracious in explaining that TLC did not have time to show every detail.  I think TLC was also responsible for making it look as though they have no help. Actually they both have very supportive, large families.  So attribute some of your misconceptions on TLC drama.

Any 'TLC Drama' was obviously fully endorsed by this pair and they willingly participated.  While it may be an incredible lightning strike of fortune that they had quads, it's been clear from the get-go that they intend to exploit it for all its worth.  As others have said, there is no way that Ashley's ridiculously overdone hair and makeup on the show is TLC's doing.  Not a single other woman on this show, even the model-actress, is shown so completely 'done' in every single scene. Ashley and Tyson are obviously cultivating an image for themselves and making her look like a pretty, pretty princess 24/7 is part of it.  Apparently they're playing to another crowd on their website and her image there isn't so polished; it doesn't mean she isn't working the TLC angle to try to cop more TV time.  Even in your post you say that they have both left the workplace and started up a website etc focused on their babies to pay the rent.  Becoming 'professional parents of multiples' is not an admirable career choice, IMO, and that's exactly what this pair is doing.  Famewhores in the Gosselin mold.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
Any 'TLC Drama' was obviously fully endorsed by this pair and they willingly participated.  While it may be an incredible lightning strike of fortune that they had quads, it's been clear from the get-go that they intend to exploit it for all its worth.  As others have said, there is no way that Ashley's ridiculously overdone hair and makeup on the show is TLC's doing.

I kind of disagree with this.  I have a feeling that even though Tyson and Ashley could have been shopping for a reality show, TLC probably feels or felt that they fit into their brand perfectly.   Maybe TLC feels that the other three couples don't fit into their particular brand:  Doug and Mars, not married, may not even stay together; the two New Yorkers, too urban, too hip; the couple from NJ, too "ethnic" and the husband plays soccer and the wife is a model.  Maybe TLC feels that Tyson and Ashley are a perfect middle of the road couple: Tyson looks like an everyman while Ashley looks like a beauty queen.  TV Gold?  That remains to be seen.

Any 'TLC Drama' was obviously fully endorsed by this pair and they willingly participated.  While it may be an incredible lightning strike of fortune that they had quads, it's been clear from the get-go that they intend to exploit it for all its worth.  As others have said, there is no way that Ashley's ridiculously overdone hair and makeup on the show is TLC's doing.  Not a single other woman on this show, even the model-actress, is shown so completely 'done' in every single scene. Ashley and Tyson are obviously cultivating an image for themselves and making her look like a pretty, pretty princess 24/7 is part of it.  Apparently they're playing to another crowd on their website and her image there isn't so polished; it doesn't mean she isn't working the TLC angle to try to cop more TV time.  Even in your post you say that they have both left the workplace and started up a website etc focused on their babies to pay the rent.  Becoming 'professional parents of multiples' is not an admirable career choice, IMO, and that's exactly what this pair is doing.  Famewhores in the Gosselin mold.

In the very first episode we were shown all the stuff that had been donated by their "followers". They are riding this horse as far as they can. The "finances" discussion last week really rubbed me the wrong way. Talk about a blatant plea for donations.

They don't seem the brightest people around, but they seem nice, sweet.. the babies are cute now they're bigger.. anyway quads are interesting so I see why they're the draw.

• Love 1

Egads!  She has lots of rouge/contouring going on.  It's just odd. Her cheeks are so colored.  I only have one infant and I look half bedraggled (she refuses to sleep)!  I don't know where she finds the time. 

These two are the phoniest phonies who ever phonied. Really Ashley? You pause from applying your false eyelashes to "single handedly" place your kids in the car to take them to a photo shoot? So let me get this straight--you and your husband just last week had an on camera conversation about how tough it was going to be to make ends meet with all these babies--diapers! formula! But now you're taking them to a professional photographer for pictures? And it soooooo hard to wrangle all four babies, my goodness! Doesn't play, my dear. You're not that good an actress. I would have been fine with seeing how life really is for them. But this playing for the cameras and the phony narrative about how broke they are and how hard it is to single handedly raise the babies, when we all know that they've received rooms full of gifts from their online followers, and that their families and community are helping, really rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 1

In case you missed it, somebody has to earn money because they have a lot of expenses. Did you get all that? No? Well I'll reiterate it a thousand times like Tyson did on last night's show: they've got bills y'all! Send money and freebies to the following address...

• Love 1

I know they had a lot of donations but I find it interesting that all four babies have custom car seat covers, that's easily over $300. Then I notice that the girls often have the same outfits. As a mom of two girls buying the same outfits adds up, harder to get sale items and it is very rare to find things second hand. She also alluded to it not being the first photo shoot. As someone who just got newborn pictures done, it's not cheap.

I know they had a lot of donations but I find it interesting that all four babies have custom car seat covers, that's easily over $300. Then I notice that the girls often have the same outfits. As a mom of two girls buying the same outfits adds up, harder to get sale items and it is very rare to find things second hand. She also alluded to it not being the first photo shoot. As someone who just got newborn pictures done, it's not cheap.

• Love 4

As someone who just got newborn pictures done, it's not cheap.

Seriously! I just had a conversation with a friend who paid $150 for a 15 minute newborn photoshoot. The pictures were lovely, but I was stunned. If the photographer is booking a few babies an hour, they must be making a killing.

• Love 1

$150 is cheap!!  Here it can start at 450.  Granted, I'm in NYC, so, I dunno.   They do have a lot of stuff. I was watching this show and thinking, they talk about how much money they are spending and how it's so hard financially, but there are ways to get things for cheaper.  Buy used.  Babies grow so quickly that it's easy to buy/sell a lot of barely worn items on the cheap.   I've sold stuff my daughter didn't wear because it got too small too quickly.  

• Love 2

I paid $900 for a package that included maternity and newborn. I looked up their photographer and it was about $160 for the session. Which means that is just for her time, you get no product from that. Her prints start at $50. Her photographer also had pictures of the kids as newborns so definitely not their first photoshoot. I can tell you they dropped a pretty penny, or at least someone did. The car seats are also somewhat pricey, not the most expensive ones but also not the ones a budget conscious parent would get 4 of.

• Love 1

Much of that stuff was donated. I am surprised that people send them stuff, but I can understand using it. I also think that some of it is First Time Parent Syndrome. I thought everything had to match, be perfect, etc., with my first. Now, my third wears whatever is available and if he has to ride in a pink car seat, so be it. I wasn't always like that though. I do also think that no matter how much you think you can prepare for the cost of 4 babies, it is always going to be much harder than expected. It's also likely that the photographer donated the session since she is getting publicity from it. I definitely saw Ashley without any makeup this last episode as well. 

After watching The Amazing Race this season, and doing a little research, I have realized that people now make a pretty good living via Youtube. Parents video their kids opening toys, post it, and make commissions from the toy company. People do makeup tutorials, hair tutorials, and dance videos and get paid for it. I can't judge them for using whatever resources are available to them to support their family. I don't feel it is exploitative at this point. 

I don't have an issue with them getting donations, or using them, at all. I have an issue with them being so disingenuous. "oh my stars, it certainly is expensive to raise FOUR babies!" They've been collecting donations for months. And they aren't doing it "all alone" as Ashley frequently shares with her loyal, donation giving viewers. That is what I don't like. They're faking fakers and I bet they are hoping with all their hearts that they get a TV show out of this. I don't even have any objection to them being on YouTube and getting what they can from it. I personally find it a little icky but I'm not them, more power to them. But I do question the husband quitting his job to do YouTube full time. Are the rewards really that great?

Cute babies though.

The thing with youtube, at least from what I've seen is this, ever since youtube got commercial, started showing commercials, stuff changed.  You start making videos, you get over a million followers.  If you have a million + people watching your make up tutorial or whatever, a make up company might just subsidize you.  There's a girl on youtube, Andrea Brooks who's been doing these tutorials for years; last year she actually did a toothpaste commercial, so I think there is money to be made, but it probably doesn't last very long, then again these days, most jobs don't last long.

I have to admit my black heart melted seeing Dr. Minton so genuinely happy and affectionate towards the four girls.

I can't believe Tyson quit his job. Fame is fleeting, unless you're a hot young makeup guru, you really can't make a longterm career out of YouTube.

Apparently he quit it right after the babies were born to make a living on the internet - following the link above, their faithful FB followers were confused: "How come it looked like you were at the photo shoot alone, then said (husband) came after work? I thought he's been working from home since just after the babies were born?" "Oh I know, so confusing, right? That TLC! No, he was working, he was at a business meeting for our business!"  <-- real conversation

• Love 3
(edited)

"we can't afford a vacation in the Bahamas, but we can provide diapers and formula for our babies!". Piss off Tyson, and take your swaddling blankets with you. I can't afford a vacation in the Bahamas and I don't even have quads!! I went from liking these two to skeptical to full on loathing in just a few weeks. The fake crying really did me in. And really? You support your family selling those blankets? What kind of business meetings do you have about a home business/Etsy shop? Good lord these two. I can't. Cute babies though.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 2

I think Tyson's hoping some hapless old lady watches that and thinks "oh, those poor souls!" and offers up her vacation condo in Nassau. What is it with these extreme religious types and grifting? I thought the Duggars were bad, but Tyson and Ashley are taking it to a whole new level.

• Love 1

LOL, BitterApple, that's what I thought too! One of their followers will offer, if not a condo in Nassau, a lake cabin in Wisconsin, a beach house in North Carolina, a cottage on Cape Cod, or a California bungalow for those hardworking parents and those adorable babies! Maybe all of them--after all, they can run their Etsy shop and their YouTube channel from anywhere, right? Tyson does not say one word about anything but how expensive it is to have all these babies. Except for when he's fake crying about how wonderful it is. Sky's the limit for these two--the Duggars and Kate Gosselin have lost their luster, the moment is ripe for a brand new shiny grifty family!

• Love 2

I don't have an issue with them getting donations, or using them, at all. I have an issue with them being so disingenuous. "oh my stars, it certainly is expensive to raise FOUR babies!" They've been collecting donations for months. And they aren't doing it "all alone" as Ashley frequently shares with her loyal, donation giving viewers. That is what I don't like. They're faking fakers and I bet they are hoping with all their hearts that they get a TV show out of this. I don't even have any objection to them being on YouTube and getting what they can from it. I personally find it a little icky but I'm not them, more power to them. But I do question the husband quitting his job to do YouTube full time. Are the rewards really that great?

Cute babies though.

One of the families that just videos kids opening toys made over a millions dollars last year. It's unbelievable, but it's true.

One of the families that just videos kids opening toys made over a millions dollars last year. It's unbelievable, but it's true.

LOL, I have a feeling that post should have a little asterisk at the bottom, with the words "results not typical", like they have on those diet supplement ads! If it was that easy to make a million on YouTube, we'd all do it!

And yeah, the swaddling blankets--you really only need to swaddle small infants, right? I certainly never swaddled my son once he was over about 3 months old. The baby was artfully posed to show the blanket in all its glory, I guess.

• Love 1