Type keyword(s) to search

Fit To Fat To Fit - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Word.  Carrie was really too much into herself--especially during her "first" workout back.  I think she was working out during the gaining phase, too. 

I noticed all the people in her workout class were really fit.  No overweight people. That is great, but it gave me the impression that Carrie doesn't work with a lot of overweight people. Of course, that was just one class...

And during the journey back--when Carrie was drinking and stuff..weren't she and Kenley supposed to eat the nutritional diet they set up?  Or didn't they do that? 

I was angry at Carrie at the beginning of episode when she said something like, "All overweight people think they are a victim..."  

I was so pissed at Carrie for drinking tequila while she was supposed to be losing the weight. You know if Kenlee had done that, Carrie would have ripped her a new asshole for being "lazy" or something. Literally the number one rule for losing weight is NO ALCOHOL. Well, "more water," then "no alcohol," but they are intrinsically linked. There was another show on the other day after My 600-lb Life, called "Fat Chance," and the girl on that wanted to lose 100 lb in 3 months, and continued to go out drinking with friends. SMDH. Needless to say, she didn't make it to 100 lb.

• Love 2

I didn't think Kenlee's loss was that dramatic. Yes, her face was thinner but 27 lbs in 8 mos?

Didn't like Carrie's snotty attitude at all. Esp when she made part 2 mostly about herself & losing her own weight.

I did identify with Kenlee's though. As a mom of 3 I always put myself last. I really recognized the scene where she is going through the schedule with her DH & working her schedule around his.

• Love 1

I didn't think Kenlee's loss was that dramatic. Yes, her face was thinner but 27 lbs in 8 mos?

She lost that weight in 4 months, really, because she (like most of these people, to my chagrin) didn't bother to try to lose weight in the first four months (when Carrie was gaining). But STILL. Only 27 lb? That is kind of shocking. That's less than 2 lb a week, which is great for a "real world" scenario but when you're working on television with a trainer I would expect to see more than a "realistic" number. My guess is Carrie is just a shitty trainer. My trainer friends and I are in agreement that she was the least effective and knowledgeable one yet. The most obvious clue is that Carrie thinks it is acceptable to drink liquor when trying to lose tons of weight. There's an immaturity there, and a sense that "hey, I've mastered MY body, but nobody else's" that if she ever got her head of out her ass, she might learn that not everyone has a fast metabolism.

• Love 5

Adonis / Alissa:

Loved the NYC vibe of this episode. Adonis had by far the best attitude coming into this show out of all trainers so far. His energy is great, and he seems like an EXCELLENT trainer. Maybe his prior experience with obesity played a role. Regardless, I liked him a lot. Alissa was a bit harder to like, but I liked how she took the show as a challenge, and she did push herself in some of the later workouts. She still has a ways to go -- I hope she sticks with it, because her weight really did seem like the one thing in her life holding her back.

This is the only episode I've watched, and if Adonis was the best trainer, than this will be the last episode I watched. Don't get me wrong. I liked Adonis and his tough but caring style of training. The problem is that this show--and no weight loss show on TV--gives a shit about what happens to people after the show. 

Adonis said both in his intro and throughout his time with Alissa that the reason people are fat is because they are lazy, don't do what they need to do, and eat poorly. But Alissa said very eloquently at the beginning of the show is that she overeats and eats poorly because she's an emotional eater who can't deal with stress, feelings, and her hectic lifestyle unless she eats something. And the show did nothing to address this. She never even talked about it with Adonis (at least, not in the clips we saw). There's usually more to obesity than laziness and poor nutrition.

At least Hoarders makes an attempt to delve into some of the psychological issues underlying a person's hoarding. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I do like when the trainers are gaining & start to actually ENJOY food. Instead of just eating to keep themselves alive they start to savor flavors & socialize with friends.

That is a great point and one I think is a big mistake in trying to lose weight or just eat healthier. Sacrificing flavor and satisfaction is not necessary.  You can have cookies, bread, butter and pasta, etc. It does require not eating most fast foods, processed foods and chemically ladened foods even if they are fresh. We have a growing amount of restaurants that offer these healthy menus locally and the food is delicious. So, I would think these trainers would not have to resort to bad food just to gain weight. Healthy food still has calories and eating more of it would promote weight gain. I am always disappointed when these shows do not promote options like reading lables, shopping for healthier ingredients that allow you to indulge yourself.

P.s., I don't think your point is a mistake, lol. I was trying to say  the trainers make the mistake of blah foods instead exploring more indulgent options.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2
(edited)

I liked the trainer this week. She rocked her workouts and was so strong. The guy not so much and I found him irritating.  But when Fallon chose Versailles as her first indulgence I got food envy. The food at that restaurant is delicious and a favorite for me. If one is going to cheat on their calories then this is one of the places to do it. They don't have bad food, per se, but the calories are the concern. Half a chicken that is heavenly garlic flavored, the most flavorful rice and beans. When I eat there I don't think about it because I am more than willing to put in the work afterwards. 

Yep, totally liked Fallon and her commitment and results plus her outfits.

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 2

Well, that was a complete bust. I guess it had to happen sometime. I don't know if it was just a bad matchup, a personality conflict, if the guy just wasn't serious about losing the weight, didn't understand how much work it would be, or what. I do know he's in a pretty deep state of denial, though, if he thinks he's managing pretty well at 417 or whatever pounds, even after being told his health was in imminent danger. I don't believe he even got below 400 pounds at all. I felt bad for Fallon - she gained all that weight (which does seem to be much harder and more traumatic for the female trainers), and then had her client bail on her. That had to feel like a slap on the face. She took the results of the guy's blood work harder than he did! I wouldn't be surprised to see that guy (sorry, can't remember his name) on My 600 Pound Life soon, assuming he lives long enough.

• Love 5

So, I would think these trainers would not have to resort to bad food just to gain weight. Healthy food still has calories and eating more of it would promote weight gain.

Funny, I was actually thinking this exact thing last night watching the new episode as the trainer was basically living off donuts.

Its stupid. As you said, you can gain weight eating healthier foods (relatively speaking of course). She even claimed she had to have a tooth pulled because of all the sugar (sorry, a couple weeks eating sugary foods isn't going to cause a tooth to rot to the point of needing to be pulled as far as I know).

It also promotes yet another myth...that all overweight people do is sit around eating cookies, cakes and pies. All the overweight people in my family typically eat too many carbs, not too much sugar.

After having watched quite a few episodes now, the show comes off mocking obese people in my opinion. Between how they literally STUFF food in their mouths during the weight gain part (outside of joking, don't think I have EVER seen anyone actually trying to cram food in their mouths like that, obese or not), the stupid smacking sound effects when they are eating (yeah, because all overweight people eat like cows chewing their cud) and then eating nothing BUT junk/fast food.

And then we always have to have the scene at the beginning of the person ordering a massive amount of fast food only to sit in their car by themselves to eat it (you know, since overweight people don't have the willpower to wait to get home, they have to eat the second they get their food).

This last episode is a great example. The guy didn't fail because he eats donuts all day. He didn't fail because he likes to cram massive amounts of food in his mouth at a time. He failed because he wouldn't exercise. He seemed to have the eating part down (no clue what went on behind the scenes obviously).

It is definitely too bad the guy is in denial though. What good is working all those hours for all that money if you won't be around to spend it?

I actually did like this last trainer though. She seemed to actually care for the guy. Sadly the guy just isn't ready to prioritize his health.

• Love 3

Funny, I was actually thinking this exact thing last night watching the new episode as the trainer was basically living off donuts.

Its stupid. As you said, you can gain weight eating healthier foods (relatively speaking of course). She even claimed she had to have a tooth pulled because of all the sugar (sorry, a couple weeks eating sugary foods isn't going to cause a tooth to rot to the point of needing to be pulled as far as I know).

It also promotes yet another myth...that all overweight people do is sit around eating cookies, cakes and pies. All the overweight people in my family typically eat too many carbs, not too much sugar.

After having watched quite a few episodes now, the show comes off mocking obese people in my opinion. Between how they literally STUFF food in their mouths during the weight gain part (outside of joking, don't think I have EVER seen anyone actually trying to cram food in their mouths like that, obese or not), the stupid smacking sound effects when they are eating (yeah, because all overweight people eat like cows chewing their cud) and then eating nothing BUT junk/fast food.

And then we always have to have the scene at the beginning of the person ordering a massive amount of fast food only to sit in their car by themselves to eat it (you know, since overweight people don't have the willpower to wait to get home, they have to eat the second they get their food).

This last episode is a great example. The guy didn't fail because he eats donuts all day. He didn't fail because he likes to cram massive amounts of food in his mouth at a time. He failed because he wouldn't exercise. He seemed to have the eating part down (no clue what went on behind the scenes obviously).

It is definitely too bad the guy is in denial though. What good is working all those hours for all that money if you won't be around to spend it?

I actually did like this last trainer though. She seemed to actually care for the guy. Sadly the guy just isn't ready to prioritize his health.

Your post is so right on!!!

• Love 2

There was something about this show that bothered me (lots of things, obviously, that I've already posted, haha) but I just figured out what it is. When the trainer gains weight, they often mention how many calories a day they're eating. I recognize that THAT is as close as we will get to a food plan on this show. But why don't they say anything about their plan to LOSE weight? I would like to know what strategy the trainer employs to lose the weight. Presumably most of them think "losing weight is so easy," and the point of this show is to make them put their money where their mouth is, but why not give us your weight loss plan, coach? When I have tried to lose lots of weight in the past, I have written out details of how to do it, with calorie counts (for various levels of activity), water amounts, exercise, what types of food are allowed, etc. This time I am trying to lose weight (my baby is 11 months old so I need to get on it) I am taking it slower and allowing myself more indulgences, but I still have a PLAN. I've lost 22 lb in 3 months and feel great and didn't have to give everything up. I am just really curious what the trainers on this show are doing, besides "eating healthy and exercising." Be more specific, Show!

• Love 5

I've lost 22 lb in 3 months and feel great and didn't have to give everything up.

That is a really good weight loss rate, so definitely think your plan is working!

I know from family members (not being female myself), that losing weight after birth is pretty damn hard, mainly because you are constantly running around taking care of a baby and not yourself. So great job and keep it up. :)

• Love 2

That is a really good weight loss rate, so definitely think your plan is working!

I know from family members (not being female myself), that losing weight after birth is pretty damn hard, mainly because you are constantly running around taking care of a baby and not yourself. So great job and keep it up. :)

Thanks a bunch! :) 

• Love 1

Sweet. Georgia. BROWN. I HATED this client. Hated hated hated. What a pile of shit. He is the client of a trainer's nightmares. Whiny, refuses to do anything, lies about his diet, he is just the worst. I wrote all about it for my recap site (PM me for a link) so I won't go on too much here, but AAAAAUGH. I felt so bad for the trainer, there was nothing more she could have done for him.

• Love 4

ethalfrida - thanks for the tip on Versailles. I live in Los Angeles and have passed the one on La Cienega many times, and have always heard good things over the years. I'll have to finally stop in one day for a (cheat) meal.

My theory on this week's client (named JD) - he had a crush on Fallon that quickly fizzled out once she started working him and once he realized that the relationship would be strictly business. Early on, JD made a comment about getting to train with a "hot chick." Then, when they reunited after Fallon gained the weight, he was all over her - hugging her, picking her up, hands lingering just a bit too long as they clowned around.

It makes sense -- at 400+ lbs and always working, JD probably gets zero attention from females, let alone any physical contact. I think he had a big crush on her since their first meeting, because she was a female giving him attention (not romantic attention - but attention is attention). Once they met up and things got down to business, he got discouraged and gave up. He acted like a spurned lover, whining and essentially being a self-described asshole. I hope he is able to change and develop healthy interactions with women, but I doubt it.

Fallon seemed very sweet; JD really threw away the chance of a lifetime. BTW, I loved the nutritionist's style -- BOOM, here are the facts, and what you have to do to fix it. Fallon's tears at JD's diagnosis seemed genuine to me. I wish her the best in her career as a trainer. JD needs to grow up. He'll be full-blown diabetic before he knows it.

Edited by HelloOutThere
  • Love 5

I guess he just wasn't ready to make the change and didn't really want it enough?

JD said he didn't have the time to spend training. Maybe he should cut back on how much time he spends eating. Ten minutes of not eating is worth a lot more than 10 minutes of working out anyway when it comes to losing weight.

• Love 5

JD said he didn't have the time to spend training. Maybe he should cut back on how much time he spends eating. Ten minutes of not eating is worth a lot more than 10 minutes of working out anyway when it comes to losing weight.

Exactly. That is a huge pet peeve, when people tell me they don't have time to lose weight, or don't have time to cook healthy food so they have to get McDonalds. Get one cheeseburger at McDonalds (or a salad), not a value meal with Coke. Don't eat so much and generally one will lose weight, no time required. 

• Love 1

Just for fun, I'm going to rank the trainers we have seen so far, from best to worst.

1) Adonis. Nice, motivating, good form, good repertoire of movement, seems to adapt to the client very well.

2) Katie. Creative with workouts, client-focused.

3) Fallon. Hardworking, enthusiastic, also client-focused. 

4) Corey. Mid-level trainer, good form and repertoire, but too slogan-based in his motivational style. Not as much empathy as the above three.

5) Alex. A total tool, but he focuses on health for the most part, which is good. 

6) JJ. Tool (all the bottom guys are tools, so that's a wash), doesn't care much about the client, fit all his life so he has zero understanding of obesity. His only redeeming quality is his form is okay. He seems like a bully to me - teaches his kids to mock weight gain.

7) Steve. This guy is a douchebag about food and he doesn't understand female weight loss at all, so there go half (or more - women hire trainers more often) of his potential clients. All about himself.

8) Carrie. She is ranked last because she is narcissistic and incompetent. Her repertoire seems quite limited and she doesn't understand other people's bodies, which is laughable in this industry. It'd be like an engineer who can't use Microsoft Excel.

• Love 3

That is a great point and one I think is a big mistake in trying to lose weight or just eat healthier. Sacrificing flavor and satisfaction is not necessary. You can have cookies, bread, butter and pasta, etc. It does require not eating most fast foods, processed foods and chemically ladened foods even if they are fresh. We have a growing amount of restaurants that offer these healthy menus locally and the food is delicious. So, I would think these trainers would not have to resort to bad food just to gain weight. Healthy food still has calories and eating more of it would promote weight gain. I am always disappointed when these shows do not promote options like reading lables, shopping for healthier ingredients that allow you to indulge yourself.

P.s., I don't think your point is a mistake, lol. I was trying to say the trainers make the mistake of blah foods instead exploring more indulgent options.

My point was, I think a regular joe should eat healthy most of the time & have occasional indulgences. The trainers apparently were eating all- or- nothing, since most were practically orgasmic eating the "bad" food. And hopefully the participants weren't taught that you have to eat healthy 100% of the time to lose weight.

• Love 2

I liked that Fallon switched her strategy when she sensed that she was losing him (he was blowing off workouts). She was willing to modify the workouts to make them easier for him. I liked when she said she would alternate his strengths & weaknesses so he could manage the workouts.

Not her fault that even that was too much for him.

Tramell/Johnny/Jason: 

I liked that Tramell struggled with giving up the junk foods while regaining his fitness. That felt real. I've changed my diet and lost weight, but those temptations still get to me. I let myself give in sometimes; I'm trying to make this a lifestyle. I let myself live a little to try to keep myself from binge-eating. I treat myself and then get right back on the wagon. 

I really liked Johnny and Jason. Good for them for getting healthy together and helping each other so they could be successful.

My favorite episodes: JJ/Ray, Adonis/Alissa, Katie/Mateo, Seth/Dave, and Tramell/Johnny/Jason.

I absolutely hated Alex, Carrie, and JD.

• Love 1

This was one of my favorite episodes as well. Such a difference from last week! Johnny and Jason look great - YEARS younger, though they still have some work to do. They really surprised me - I didn't expect them to do that well when we saw them last before the reveal. I hope they inspire their friend to get in shape as well.

I didn't expect to like Tramell when we first met him, but he ended up being one of my more favorite trainers. I think he really gained some insight and learned just as much as his clients did, and will be a better trainer (and possibly a more pleasant person to be around) for it. I was just smiling all throughout the final segment of this episode, and feel motivated to take my dogs on an early walk.

I look forward to what ClareWalks has to say about this episode - she writes a good recap, and I recommend you pm her for a link and check it out, if you haven't already.

• Love 2

Watching Seth/Dave right now. Seth has Problems. Like, real issues. I haven't yet seen a trainer on this show that is so terrified of being unfit and unhealthy. He has by far the worst relationship with food and with exercise that I've seen on this show. And what's with the constant urges to vomit or make clients vomit? Dave is awesome so far, though, and he responds well to Seth's "bark orders at him and try to make him puke" style of training.

Edited: Watched the Tramell ep too. What a breath of fresh air compared to Seth. He came out of this with a better appreciation for health, which is probably a first for this show.

Edited by ClareWalks

Although I'm super happy that Dave dropped all that weight, did we really need to see his fungus ridden, decrepit toenails?

On another note, Seth will never have a problem with his weight because of his genetics.  To claim people choose whether or not to be fat is ignorance at its best.  While it takes these naturally skinny trainers 4 months to gain 50 plus pounds, it would take someone with a predisposition for obesity 1 month, maybe even less.  While it takes these trainers 4 months, or even less, to lose the 50 plus pounds, it would take a person with the obesity gene 8 months, maybe even more, to lose 50 lbs.  Dave is always going to struggle.  Seth learned nothing from this experiment.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 2

Although I'm super happy that Dave dropped all that weight, did we really need to see his fungus ridden, decrepit toenails?

Oh man, I have been noticing that for several episodes now. The clients (and often the trainers) all develop these grody toenails. Some folks just lose toenails left and right when they work out a lot. I never had problems with my nails (partially because I wear my athletic shoes a half size big, which means they don't pinch my toes - pro tip!), but don't look at the bottoms of my feet because I get monster blisters and callouses. My husband, on the other hand, gets no blisters but has black/grey/missing toenails. It IS nasty, especially in HD closeup.

• Love 1

This was one of my favorite episodes as well. Such a difference from last week! Johnny and Jason look great - YEARS younger, though they still have some work to do. They really surprised me - I didn't expect them to do that well when we saw them last before the reveal. I hope they inspire their friend to get in shape as well.

I didn't expect to like Tramell when we first met him, but he ended up being one of my more favorite trainers. I think he really gained some insight and learned just as much as his clients did, and will be a better trainer (and possibly a more pleasant person to be around) for it. I was just smiling all throughout the final segment of this episode, and feel motivated to take my dogs on an early walk.

I look forward to what ClareWalks has to say about this episode - she writes a good recap, and I recommend you pm her for a link and check it out, if you haven't already.

May I ask why you were prepared not to like Trammell? Maybe I missed something about him because I often multitask while these shows are on.

May I ask why you were prepared not to like Trammell? Maybe I missed something about him because I often multitask while these shows are on.

I liked Tramell a lot but at the beginning of the episode he said something kind of odd. Something about how he hates seeing fat people in shorts or tank tops with all the flab hanging out. That was really the only "problem" I saw with him, but it was a fairly jarring moment.

• Love 3

I liked Tramell a lot but at the beginning of the episode he said something kind of odd. Something about how he hates seeing fat people in shorts or tank tops with all the flab hanging out. That was really the only "problem" I saw with him, but it was a fairly jarring moment.

Okay, thanks, I missed that part. Will check it out again, though.

My reason was pretty much what ClareWalks said - he seemed rather judgmental, saying how overweight people are that way because they choose to be, etc (though most of the other trainers have said basically the same thing, he somehow seemed ruder about it. Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.) He just seemed rather unsympathetic at first. Measuring and weighing each meal seemed a little overly gung-ho to me too, but I'm not a trainer or on a supervised weight loss regimen, so maybe that's on me. However, I did warm up to him very quickly and, as I said, he ended up being one of my favorite trainers. I did appreciate too that he decided his health and overall quality of life was more important than having the perfect, godlike body (paraphrasing).

I seem to have missed the Seth/Dave episode! I wonder how that happened? Hopefully it will repeat sometime.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 2

No, really how did Seth manage to got get his beard covered in puke? This was the first episode I watched, but do the trainers usually lay down on a mat during the To Fat part while coaching their regular clients?

I wonder if the trainers get a cash incentive to make their "fat goal". He seemed sooooo bummed out about not making it- really, crying?

Seth reminded me for some reason of Dustin Diamond (Screech) on Celebrity Fit Club.

No, really how did Seth manage to got get his beard covered in puke? This was the first episode I watched, but do the trainers usually lay down on a mat during the To Fat part while coaching their regular clients?

Yeah, especially considering that he got cheese all over it when he delved into his first slice of pizza.

Seth reminded me for some reason of Dustin Diamond (Screech) on Celebrity Fit Club.

He reminded me of Austin from the last summer's Big Brother. I actually came up with 10 reasons why I didn't like him, but I am going to take ClareWalks advice and watch a couple other episodes.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Seth has had issues with bulimia in the past. Or at the very least, a "puke after some meals" issue. He was waaaaay too casual about vomiting. He's probably an expert at keeping it out of his beard.

Edited because his name is not Sean. Sorry folks, I am carb-depleted :-P

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 3

Why isn't a nutritionist involved in the weight gain for the trainers and weight loss for the contestants?  What's that saying, you can't out train a bad diet?  Anyway, I'm of the belief that exercise is important in losing weight, but a calorie deficit is more important factor to losing weight.  Plus, the calorie deficit should be gradual and the calorie increase once your goal weight is reached should be gradual.  Reverse dieting.  Of course, this is JMO, YMMV.

Edited by Tvtimebomb
  • Love 1

So I'm a little late here to the game, but I have watched all of the episodes so far.  To answer the main question of the thread: Is this the worst concept of a weight loss show ever?  Yes, yes it is.

All of you have brought up great points that I agree with.  The best one is about empathy, yes they gained a little weight in a short period of time and they have to feel what it is like to be fat, but it's nothing compared to us people who have been fat forever; the daily ridicule, the aches and pains, the horrors of clothes shopping, and the nightmare of fitting into the seats in an airplane.  Imagine if they did a show about a person who started smoking for four months, just to see what it feels like to quit?  There is no way someone who smokes and quits after four months who can go through the same struggle with quitting as a 20-year-two-pack-a-day smoker. Weight loss is no different.

Two other things I am annoyed with: 1. how whiney crying all the trainers are when they are trying to gain the weight.  Phleeze, 2. The comment that the trainers are eating "like their clients eat."  I am offended by the comment! I do not personally know one fat person who sits around all day and shovels food down his/her gullet (I don't personally know any 600 pounders though, maybe they do that?).  All the fat people I know (myself, my family, friends), have just made a bad choice or two a day for many years and none just sit around and eat all day.

• Love 3

Ya'll have said much better than I could what is bothering me about this show. The trainers seems to have VERY unhealthy relationships with food before the challenge. The one the other day said something like "This is the first time I've had pizza in 12 years!" That is so not motivating to the average person. We want to eat pizza.... occasionally. A piece or two a month, if moderation is used. We want a doughnut every now and then. Fast food once a month, hell, twice a month. These things should not be bad things. And, yes, none of us got obese by eating pizza once a month, or doughnuts once a month.... but we're not going to live on kale salads and smoked salmon cooked once a week, either. If you're so afraid of pizza that you love it but won't eat it for over a decade --- you're just not someone I can related to. That's every bit as unhealthy a relationship with food as the person who eats a whole pizza in a sitting a couple of times a week, IMO. Not to mention how sustainable is it for the average person to work out "3 hours a day" the way the trainers often say they do? Let's get a trainer in here who has a family to care for, kids to shuttle around, a spouse who also works fulltime, laundry to keep up with, etc.  Prioritizing health and exercise is important -- but if a person with a family and work responsibilities does even an hour a day, that's an amazing commitment, I think.

I lost 65 pounds 3 years ago doing an "Eat Less, Move Often" diet. Now I am trying to lose the final 30 I have to go, and let me tell you that menopause has played HELL with my weight loss. Nothing I did before is working. I've only lost 8 pounds in 2 months and looking back on my diet/exercise plan from 3 years ago, I would have been down almost 20. Same amount of working out, reduced calories even more. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Love 6

So true about the trainers' unhealthy relationship with diet and exercise. They use it as a crutch the same way they accuse their clients of using food as a crutch. Lots of trainers really have an all-or-nothing attitude while they preach moderation at their clients. They claim you can have a "cheat day" or "cheat meal" (which don't get me started about how fucked-up THAT is, to describe food as a cheat) and achieve these dramatic losses, while they would never dream of having an unhealthy meal themselves. They are terrified of backsliding. I used to think I was addicted to food because, when I was dieting/in weight-loss mode, I would not allow myself french fries. I considered them my kryptonite, that if I ate them I would just backslide into being fat again and go from "all" to "nothing." This time losing weight I eat fries. I either oven-bake them at home or (GASP) eat them from Burger King or Culver's about once a week or so. You cannot declare any food off-limits forever and expect long term success, especially foods you enjoy. I might be losing weight a bit slower than I have in the past, but I am losing (25 lb so far, woop!), and I am staying sane. Most trainers cannot do that, but they definitely tell their clients to do it. "Moderation!" they claim. Hypocrites.

I will say this, some people can't do moderation because they legit have issues with food addiction. For them I usually recommend Overeaters Anonymous or therapy, because it is hard if not impossible to out-exercise a truly terrible diet, unless you are Michael Phelps or in final-stage Ironman training. But these trainers really seem to let food control them to an unhealthy degree, as evidenced by their astonishment that anyone could possibly eat pizza or burgers most days a week.

• Love 5

I'll be a son of a bitch if I didn't order Pizza Hut for dinner tonight (first pizza in a year --- I don't even really like pizza!!!) and then ate a 7-11 doughnut today too.  I was seething over Mr 'I haven't had a grilled cheese in 20 years!" Trainer on the episode I watched today. FFS, it's FOOD, not the enemy!!!!  Honestly, I felt like I needed pizza on general principle.  (thin crust, veggie toppings, light cheese, 3 slices --- clearly I'm a bad person who is lazy and a victim. What the eff ever.)

• Love 5

Was this the end of the show? Ten episodes? I suppose that is a decent season. I will repost my rankings and add the others, just to be comprehensive and OCD about it.

1) Adonis. Nice, motivating, good form, good repertoire of movement, seems to adapt to the client very well.
2) Katie. Creative with workouts, client-focused.
3) Fallon. Hardworking, enthusiastic, also client-focused.

4) Tramell. Nice guy, was one of the least annoying in the "weight gain" phase, gives the clients what they need, but he was a bit absent in the ep so I can't rank him higher.
5) Corey. Mid-level trainer, good form and repertoire, but too slogan-based in his motivational style. Not as much empathy as the above folks.
6) Alex. A total tool, but he focuses on health for the most part, which is good.

7) Seth. His relationship with food and exercise are beyond unhealthy, but fortunately his client kept him in check. The client shouldn't have to, though.
8) JJ. Tool (all the bottom guys are tools, so that's a wash), doesn't care much about the client, fit all his life so he has zero understanding of obesity. His only redeeming quality is his form is okay. He seems like a bully to me - teaches his kids to mock weight gain.
9) Steve. This guy is a douchebag about food and he doesn't understand female weight loss at all, so there go half (or more - women hire trainers more often) of his potential clients. All about himself.
10) Carrie. She is ranked last because she is narcissistic and incompetent. Her repertoire seems quite limited and she doesn't understand other people's bodies, which is laughable in this industry. It'd be like an engineer who can't use Microsoft Excel.

I wonder if they'll have a second season. I kind of hope they don't, because I feel like it would attract even more douchey people who are just looking to promote their gyms. This season had enough of those.

• Love 2

So true about the trainers' unhealthy relationship with diet and exercise. They use it as a crutch the same way they accuse their clients of using food as a crutch. Lots of trainers really have an all-or-nothing attitude while they preach moderation at their clients. They claim you can have a "cheat day" or "cheat meal" (which don't get me started about how fucked-up THAT is, to describe food as a cheat) and achieve these dramatic losses, while they would never dream of having an unhealthy meal themselves. They are terrified of backsliding. I used to think I was addicted to food because, when I was dieting/in weight-loss mode, I would not allow myself french fries. I considered them my kryptonite, that if I ate them I would just backslide into being fat again and go from "all" to "nothing." This time losing weight I eat fries. I either oven-bake them at home or (GASP) eat them from Burger King or Culver's about once a week or so. You cannot declare any food off-limits forever and expect long term success, especially foods you enjoy. I might be losing weight a bit slower than I have in the past, but I am losing (25 lb so far, woop!), and I am staying sane. Most trainers cannot do that, but they definitely tell their clients to do it. "Moderation!" they claim. Hypocrites.

I will say this, some people can't do moderation because they legit have issues with food addiction. For them I usually recommend Overeaters Anonymous or therapy, because it is hard if not impossible to out-exercise a truly terrible diet, unless you are Michael Phelps or in final-stage Ironman training. But these trainers really seem to let food control them to an unhealthy degree, as evidenced by their astonishment that anyone could possibly eat pizza or burgers most days a week.

I've lost 25lbs since September 2014. I don't do "cheat" meals anymore. It's just food. I'm not cheating on anything. I can't look at food like that if I want to keep the weight off long-term because that just brings about stress and guilt. If it's a lifestyle change, you have to live a little.

What's been working for me is going low carb. Snacks and sweets are my biggest issue. I'd be "good" all week and deprive myself or try to fit some in within my calorie goals and end up binging on the weekend anyway and sabotaging my progress. Now that I've cut back on carbs, those physical cravings are gone and I handle eating them much better than when I let myself have them all the time. Am I giving them up forever? No. I eat them and jump right back on the wagon. It's important to find what works for you. 

• Love 3

OK, bottom line for me is that I eat what makes me feel good.  If a slice of pizza is going to make me happy, I'm having it.  If three slices make me sick, I'm going to avoid it.  The more self-imposed limitations you make with food, the more nuts you get about it, then the more you end up binging.  I would rather eat one oreo and feel good about it than a row of oreos standing over the kitchen sink, feeling completely miserable.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2016 at 1:01 PM, ClareWalks said:

Oh man, I have been noticing that for several episodes now. The clients (and often the trainers) all develop these grody toenails. Some folks just lose toenails left and right when they work out a lot. I never had problems with my nails (partially because I wear my athletic shoes a half size big, which means they don't pinch my toes - pro tip!), but don't look at the bottoms of my feet because I get monster blisters and callouses. My husband, on the other hand, gets no blisters but has black/grey/missing toenails. It IS nasty, especially in HD closeup.

I never realized it, but apparently feet expand as you work out...which is why its a good idea to buy running shoes/athletic shoes a half size bigger than what feels "acceptable" in the store.  And why its a good idea to buy running shoes after a work out/middle of the day.  I wear compression socks too.

I'm watching the Carrie/Kenlee one and you all were not kidding.  I can't understand why the very first workout where she and Kenlee are meeting is all about her showing off how much she can do.  Did she do anything with Kenlee at all on that first day?  And then the second day she is saying she is going to put Kenlee through the hardest workout?  Isn't that a good way to make the girl want to give up?

I'm curious about the mustache.   I think she may have been using steroids, in conjunction with the food to gain weight while also gaining muscle.  It would also explain her mood swings while she was gaining weight.

I just finished watching JD/Fallon.  It was sad, because I understood both of them.  If you're a trainer, you can devote your entire life to fitness.  Its your job, its your passion, its your hobby, it can be your everything.  But for the everyday person, they can't devote that much time to it, because they have a job, or they have a family...or both.

I thought he was a bit of a standoffish dick to her, but I just felt his frustration.  He has 100 pounds to lose....at the very least.  Its hard to stay motivated if you've gained or hit a plateau.

I also wanted to cut him a little slack when he gained weight...maybe there was an anomaly, because he managed to lose 21 pounds before Fallon started to train him, so it seems like he CAN do it, and is motivated enough to have lost weight without her.

Agreed he is heading for some bad times in the near future...maybe he should look into a gastric sleeve or something.

She did have cute outfits, and good for her for gaining weight but still rocking her little black dress and heels.

• Love 1

I've never watched an episode of this before -- the concept appalled me -- but I caught the Adonis/Alissa episode on the FYI channel.

I don't understand why Adonis was presented as not knowing what it was like to be fat. He said five years ago, he was fat (310 pounds) but he got in shape, and fitness saved his life. It seems to me that that experience already gave him more insight than those trainers who have never dealt with weight issues. Why did he have to regain 70 pounds when he had previously lost almost 100 pounds five years ago?

• Love 1