Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E09: Restaurant Wars, Part 1

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Chad's terrine looked like bad canned dogfood.

Issac's wife has riled social media!  She is going to regret her comment!   What is an LA accent anyway?   Never mind the affect youth have acquired, I mean adults who have lived their all of their life or close to it.

I'm a SoCal native, and I'm OLD, but I remember in elementary school the nun (St. Augie's à go go!) asked us if we had an accent, and I said no. She asked why, and I said because we talk just like the people on TV. I know there's some people with that slight Valley Girl inflection, but I don't have it, nor do most of my friends or neighbors have it. It seems to be younger people who use it, but many lose it as they get older.

• Love 6

I do not fault anyone for being edgy on this challenge; it is extremely stressful.  Chad is a Cajun guy, limited in scope with a huge ego.  His ideas were shot down because they were not in keeping with the plan of modern LA food.  He took it personally.  Phillip had some ideas that were shot down, as well.  He understood that it wasn't personal.  Put it out there an if rejected move on.  Kudos on that Phil.  On your complicated salad?  Not so good!  

Marjorie is smart and has a grasp on the overview.  Of course she was irritated with Carl.   Carl's approach (scattered) is where things can fall apart; we have seen that time and time again.  

• Love 4

Chad's terrine looked like bad canned dogfood.

I'm a SoCal native, and I'm OLD, but I remember in elementary school the nun (St. Augie's à go go!) asked us if we had an accent, and I said no. She asked why, and I said because we talk just like the people on TV. I know there's some people with that slight Valley Girl inflection, but I don't have it, nor do most of my friends or neighbors have it. It seems to be younger people who use it, but many lose it as they get older.

That is what I thought.  I am from MI and have no accent like most, if not all, of the mid west.  

Jeez, Padma, please pack your breasts and go.

No, those are for the men whose wives make them watch this show with them.  They are here to stay!  

• Love 2

A small thing, but Kwame really needed to smile more while greeting the diners. It goes a long way when you're waiting what seems like forever.

Meh, for my money, if someone has a pasted on smile when I'm in a bad mood or frustrated it makes me feel like they aren't taking my frustration seriously enough.  I think he came off as authentic.

• Love 2

I do not fault anyone for being edgy on this challenge; it is extremely stressful.  Chad is a Cajun guy, limited in scope with a huge ego.  His ideas were shot down because they were not in keeping with the plan of modern LA food.  He took it personally.  Phillip had some ideas that were shot down, as well.  He understood that it wasn't personal.  Put it out there an if rejected move on.  Kudos on that Phil.  On your complicated salad?  Not so good!  

Marjorie is smart and has a grasp on the overview.  Of course she was irritated with Carl.   Carl's approach (scattered) is where things can fall apart; we have seen that time and time again.  

I'm probably the only one, but I'm not a fan of Marjorie.  I think she is a talented chef, but I'm just not that into her.  I guess they can't text their lists, but have to relay them over the phone.  I understand her thinking with the list, but maybe she could have discussed a game plan before the split up, but I don't see how telling him you'll call him back is going to help much of anything.  Maybe the better way for her would have been to have taken down however many items he needed...like 10? and then integrated them into her list.  I don't think she had any reason to be irritable with Carl, and I also think she could have worn something a little nicer for front of house.

As for Issac having his ideas shot down, he didn't seem to take it personally at all.  I don't even think Marjorie was listening to him and I think that was remarkably rude of her.  Maybe if Angelina...the beast was in the mix, she could have been bothered to pay attention or at least pretend like she was.  

• Love 14

Hmmmm, suddenly The Gummy Artisan is all humble with his "Oh, I'm just a simple line cook. I just do what I'm told, Mister. It's not my place to talk out of turn." Yeah sure, Phillip, you're totally not playing games.

I much prefer Restaurant Wars when the chefs just cook. I don't enjoy watching them pick out chairs and plates. But I guess they needed filler for a two part episode.

They really don't. They have tons of footage, and they already don't show us enough of the cooking, or even the judges dining.

What is an LA accent anyway?   Never mind the affect youth have acquired, I mean adults who have lived their all of their life or close to it.

The "Valley Girl," uptalk, drawn-out vowels, and vocal fry thing has been around so long that there are plenty of old people who have been doing it all their lives.

Speaking of the locals, those air-headed diners were painful when trying to sound insightful describing the meal:

"They were really good. It just, like, needed something."

"It was just too... easy, I guess."

So, is "District LA" a shout out to Hunger Games? With that pun intended?

Such a terrible name. I thought "District LA" could be the name of a prison or police station. "Palate" is bland and uninspired, and could also serve as the name of an oral surgery practice.

Could the reason people were hanging around so long be because it was lunch, not dinner? In the evening, people might want to get home to have sex, go to bed, or go out to a bar. During they day they probably don't have anything better to do. It doesn't seem like any of the guests have to work for a living or anything.

That is what I thought.  I am from MI and have no accent like most, if not all, of the mid west.

Not sure if that's supposed to be sarcasm or not.

• Love 4

Could the reason people were hanging around so long be because it was lunch, not dinner? In the evening, people might want to get home to have sex, go to bed, or go out to a bar. During they day they probably don't have anything better to do. It doesn't seem like any of the guests have to work for a living or anything.

I get it, lunch is an hour, you're out with your work friends, you don't want to rush back to work.  At the same time, I think if I saw a straight up line of people waiting, I might just leave on my own accord.  I think Marjorie had a good idea on how to get diners out, it just sounded awkward to me "you want some champagne?  come with me....uh, over here, here is your champagne...bye!"

• Love 3

Hmmmm, suddenly The Gummy Artisan is all humble with his "Oh, I'm just a simple line cook. I just do what I'm told, Mister. It's not my place to talk out of turn." Yeah sure, Phillip, you're totally not playing games.

I don't fault Phillip for that.  Game playing is afoot in all RWs.  You have to protect yourself.  When he said that, Jeremy was screwing up right and left and he feared being blamed for something he did not do.  He was doing the role assigned up him in this part of the challenge and Jeremy was trying to shift the problem to Phillip.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I think Marjorie had a good idea on how to get diners out, it just sounded awkward to me "you want some champagne?  come with me....uh, over here, here is your champagne...bye!"

If it means free booze, who cares if they lead you into an alley behind the restaurant alongside the dumpsters? It's free booze!

• Love 11
I also think she could have worn something a little nicer for front of house.

I think it was fine for lunch in L.A., given the atmosphere of their restaurant.

Given Isaac's lack of reaction in real time or in talking heads, I got the impression the footage of Marjorie and the others ignoring everything he said was pretty spliced together.

• Love 3

I don't fault Phillip for that.  Game playing is afoot in all RWs.  You have to protect yourself.

Oh, I'm sure it was smart strategy - it was just funny seeing Mr. Pretentious Fancypants himself in a gratuitous show of faux-humility. "I wouldn't know nothin' about this fancy-style cookin', nosiree!"

• Love 3

I sense that Jeremy might be in danger if only for another crudo dish. 

I'm already loving Tom's over the top exaggerated eye roll in the previews of next week.  I don't know how to make .gif but that would be one if I knew how

I think it was fine for lunch in L.A., given the atmosphere of their restaurant.

Given Isaac's lack of reaction in real time or in talking heads, I got the impression the footage of Marjorie and the others ignoring everything he said was pretty spliced together.

Not at anyplace I've ever been in LA for lunch.  Unless I'm eating off a truck or at the farmers market.

If it means free booze, who cares if they lead you into an alley behind the restaurant alongside the dumpsters? It's free booze!

I don't know if you watch "Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia" but this sounds like something from that show

• Love 1

Based on how well Isaac's team performed despite all of the complains from the lady-cheftestants, I'd say they would win RW.   Despite all of the talking heads complaining about how disorganized Isaac was spliced with pink hair (what's her name again?) yelling to him, Isaac lead the kitchen and they served the food without incidents with a lot of time left.

I just hope Kwame does not get cut due to man-bun's 12 steps salad

• Love 3

It's nice to see that Tom C. hasn't lost his weird approach to holding his knife and fork.  It's like he's fighting off the food.

The real problem both teams had was the people not leaving after they'd been fed.  Marjorie found a solution. Kwame didn't.  I don't think that's ever occurred on Restaurant Wars before, so it's not something they would have prepared for.  It does happen in real restaurants, but then the table gets a bill.

Isaac's food always sounds like it would taste really good.  I'd like to try it someday.  He reminds me of Sheldon in some ways.

Could this be twilight for Top Carrot?  Or apparently Top Crudo?

• Love 4

Judging from the background, Tom's crudo comment in the preview was made in Palate (greenish walls) , not District LA (dark grey walls).  So it's probably not directed at Jeremy.

Speaking of Jeremy, not sure if he will be Top Chef but he's slowly edging out Phillip to be Top Douche.  And of course Phillip has mason jars in his restaurant.

• Love 6

I haven't watched the episode yet, so please forgive me if this is answered, but... are they serving the same menu for lunch and dinner or changing it up?

They are making different dishes for dinner.

Judging from the background, Tom's crudo comment in the preview was made in Palate (greenish walls) , not District LA (dark grey walls). So it's probably not directed at Jeremy.

Yeah Jeremy already mentioned he is doing a risotto dish for dinner not a crudo. Edited by biakbiak

Right. Phillip was basically a twat like always, and Jeremy was a big fat douchecanoe.

Star of tonight's episode: Padma's breasts.

I'm stealing douchecanoe :)

And now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm a woman, because I didn't even notice that Padma HAD breasts.

Here you go:

http://imgur.com/xeafIaw

That's some Liz Lemon level eyerolling.

LOL! Tom is usually an OK-looking guy, but in that gif he looks like Uncle Fester!

• Love 7

I also did not get what Marjorie's issue was with the list.  Just write it all down and then organize it the way you like.  I honestly do not understand why a big master list is not made before people go to the store, and then everyone should look over the master list to make sure everything they need is there.   I also would NEVER just call a person with my list.  I would give them the thing in writing.  

• Love 6

I also did not get what Marjorie's issue was with the list.  Just write it all down and then organize it the way you like.  I honestly do not understand why a big master list is not made before people go to the store, and then everyone should look over the master list to make sure everything they need is there.   I also would NEVER just call a person with my list.  I would give them the thing in writing.  

I think he was calling her for some last minute things that they price checked at Restaurant Depot. They probably intended to pick up xyz but then realized they don't need to blow their budget buying it in bulk. It seems like she was anticipating the call so I don't really understand the tantrum. Maybe if she wasn't such a control freak, she could let Isaac have the phone and he can pick up Carl's shopping list.

• Love 2

^ Re: Isaac's phone call.  I do not think Isaac is going home based on his performance as Exec Chef and judges' reaction to his dish.  Of course there is a chance he crashes horribly during dinner service

TC has been very sneaky and duplicitous about the "phone call of doom" from home.  They are sneaky sneaks!  Some shows don't even try to hide it (I'm looking at you Project Runway) but TC seems to mix it up....

• Love 4

TC has been very sneaky and duplicitous about the "phone call of doom" from home.  They are sneaky sneaks!  Some shows don't even try to hide it (I'm looking at you Project Runway) but TC seems to mix it up....

Oh, say more!  I don't remember any repercussions from a phone call, on this show or PR.  

I think he was calling her for some last minute things that they price checked at Restaurant Depot. They probably intended to pick up xyz but then realized they don't need to blow their budget buying it in bulk. It seems like she was anticipating the call so I don't really understand the tantrum. Maybe if she wasn't such a control freak, she could let Isaac have the phone and he can pick up Carl's shopping list.

Control freaks make good restaurateurs.  :>) 

• Love 3

Oh, say more!  I don't remember any repercussions from a phone call, on this show or PR.  

Usually on shows like this, when we as viewers get more personal info about a contestant (whether that's through phone calls to home or via talking heads - Isaac got both this ep), it means that contestant is either winning the ep's challenge or going home. There was a lot of personal info revealed this ep - Kwame and Isaac both got calls from home and talked a little more about their home lives. I could see Kwame being on the chopping block if he's blamed for the lack of tables turning in the restaurant (although that was really Jeremy's fault, from what I could tell) but with so much personal info revealed, it's hard to tell.

• Love 2

Oh, I'm sure it was smart strategy - it was just funny seeing Mr. Pretentious Fancypants himself in a gratuitous show of faux-humility. "I wouldn't know nothin' about this fancy-style cookin', nosiree!"

Yes, it was!  Shades of Butterfly McQueen in Gone with the Wind.  "I don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies!"   She claimed she did and was the reason she traveled with Scarlett because a midwife was needed, for those who don't remember.   Her freak out scene was hysterical.  

• Love 5

Here you go:

http://imgur.com/xeafIaw

That's some Liz Lemon level eyerolling.

omg he's giving me Uncle Fester vibes lol

I'm stealing douchecanoe :)

And now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm a woman, because I didn't even notice that Padma HAD breasts.

LOL! Tom is usually an OK-looking guy, but in that gif he looks like Uncle Fester!

lol I didn't see your post until after I posted mine

I am 100% sure that Philip's restaurant was bankrolled by his mommy and daddy.  The problem with people like that is that they look more successful than they actually are.  Philip did not have to work his way up; he told his parents he wanted to open a restaurant and that was it.  So he looks like a successful chef with his own restaurant but I am skeptical.  Personally I wonder how successful the restaurant truly is.  If he is not making a profit but his parents give him 5k a month no matter what, then he will look like he is doing better than he really is.  Also, if that $500,000 you need to open a restaurant was just given to you, then you have no debt to pay off, which is often how restaurants go bust.  

He reminds me of a grown-up, richer version of that guy a few years back who was cut by Tom almost immediately.  He bragged about publishing his own cookbook when he was 17.  Well it was a self-publication vanity project that his parents paid for.  That is all well and good but the only accomplishment there was writing up the recipes and hiring a photographer.  

Was that the guy that was a personal chef or something and got eliminated within the first 15 minutes of the season?  If so, I totally remember that tool. 

okay.....

jeremy, supposedly, according to him, have watched 12 seasons of top chef and yet he decides to do risotto........okay, good luck with that.

kwame....dude.  really?  i hate phillip the douche, but come on.....arguing to him about how to do HIS  dish?  if it were you, wouldn't you want phil to do YOUR dish properly?

marjorie...wow.  showed your true colors as a bitch cutting off and dismissing the cajun guy....not cool.

the one cheftastant was right.  bestia in los angeles is a great place with great food.  the bone marrow and chicken liver coustini......mmmmm.  if any of you are ever in the area, check it out.  reservations a must.

Isn't that one of Tom's rules? No risotto? I rarely order risotto out at a restaurant (unless it's a very good restaurant), because it can go south real fast. I'm curious to see how that works out for him.  

I think Kwame was correct in his response to Man Bun and the 26 step dish.   There was nothing wrong with his suggesting that you simplify the process by combining the oil and lemon juice into a squeeze bottle.  It makes perfect sense.  They all know that that service is going to be tough and it's in their best interest to try and simplify what they can while maintaining the integrity of the dish.  

So now we know why there was no danger that having a contestant actually eliminated in Sudden Death Quickfire would screw up the schedule.

I've never liked Restaurant Wars, either, but I don't remember ever seeing a time clock on it before.

I'm guessing this had to do with them having both a lunch and dinner service.  Got to get the lunch diners out in time to prep and set up for the dinner service. 

Speaking of--I'm sure the producers told diners to linger to see how FOH handled it.  What would RW be without Padma commenting, "Oh. They have a line.  And no hostess.  Hmmm." Kudos to Marjorie for plying them with free booze.  Her delivery was a bit awkward, but it worked. 

No kidding.  I'd even hang out behind SUR with those kids from Vanderpump Rules if it meant free booze. ;) 

In theory, I think Jeremy was right in making the judges' dishes first priority.  Maybe they were a bit behind to begin with and putting the judges ahead of other tables just screwed them up even further.  Good idea - poor execution.   

I also didn't have a problem with Marjorie and the grocery list.  I organize my list the same way.  They only have so much time to shop, if they can't find what they need they have to figure out substitutes, and then she has another team member rattling off various things that he now wants.  She was snippy for sure, but they're stressed out. I get it.  

Edited by beaker73
  • Love 8

Wow Marjorie, way to show your true colors. Oh, and next time you complain about someone else not being refined, try not to be dressed in a shirt several sizes too small.

I'm not sure how "refined" and "protégé of Mike Isabella" would exist in the same space anyway.

• Love 9

Because Amar and Isaac are two of my three favorite cheftestants (along with Kwame), while I totally understood why Amar picked Philip over Isaac as explained in his talking head, little old peacekeeper me had been hoping that he would explain his reasoning TO ISAAC, who seems so genial that I am sure he would have understood (right after threatening to stab Amar). 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 7

But why do teams always get behind on RW?  It seems to me that they have dishes that take too long to execute or they have poorly trained staff.  The team that wins always seems to be the team that decided to execute a strategy right from the start.  To me, you make sure you have starters that are really, really easy to put out in under a minute.  Then, you should have an expo or a food runner making sure the food is going out fast.  

I sort of disagree with Jeremy's plan to get the judge's table out first.  I have worked in several restaurants (though only FOH) and getting a flow is so incredibly important to keeping things running smoothly.  I think that Jeremy's decision just threw a wrench the machine they were getting going.  So let's say that they were pumping out starters assembly line style, which is working okay (maybe they are a bit behind but they will catch up), and then Jeremy makes them pump out starters for the judges and when the judges are done he immediately starts with their second course when there are still ten table that need starters.  So at this point the line cooks are now shifting focus to make second courses for ten people and then going back to starters, and then going to mains, and then going to second course, etc.  I think Jeremy's decision just ruined the flow in the kitchen.  So instead of keeping up with two dishes, his chefs are now keeping up with eight dishes at any given time.   

If I were the teams, I would have a little amuse bouche set aside just for the judges to buy me about ten more minutes of time before I needed to get their starters out.  

• Love 11

They are making different dishes for dinner.

Yeah Jeremy already mentioned he is doing a risotto dish for dinner not a crudo.

I recall Jeremy briefly mentioning making a cold dish and that he could do a crudo. This was at the beginning while they were planning the menu. Edited by Grneyedldy

Well, if Man Bun is surviving this far, I hope he lasts one more week so I can witness him in Restaurant Wars. Keeping him this long will be worth it to see him flame out there.

He's going to put himself at Front of House, isn't he? It'll be awesome.

Hee! I knew Philip would beg to be FOH. Brilliant move picking him to have a sacrificial lamb on your team in case you lose restaurant wars. And him having told them all beforehand makes it just that much better.

Although he didn't flame out in his line-cook persona. I am still hopeful he goes to 11 next week.

If future Top Chef contestants were really smart, they'd come here and read all of the posts before they go to film the next season (amuse bouche idea is GREAT, they should have had that in their back pocket ... though not literally.)

I also kind of wish I'd thought to hold out on watching this week's episode so I could watch both parts of RW together. I was pretty sure there would be no elimination, so I felt safe I wouldn't get Twitter-spoiled. 

Oh, also? KATSUJI!!!!!!!!!! That made us squee.

I still do not understand why the FOH doesn't make a great soup. It can be made the night before, develop flavor overnight and the next day just heated up (developing more flavor) and only has to be placed in the bowl and dressed (not sure that's the right term) before going out. That way, no matter where in the order your dish is, it comes out fast and the rest of the time can be spent on other dishes. It would allow you to catch up if needed, but you always have one dish ready to go.

Edited by VintageJ
  • Love 8

I still do not understand why the FOH doesn't make a great soup. It can be made the night before, develop flavor overnight and the next day just heated up (developing more flavor) and only has to be placed in the bowl and dressed (not sure that's the right term) before going out. That way, no matter where in the order your dish is, it comes out fast and the rest of the time can be spent on other dishes. It would allow you to catch up if needed, but you always have one dish ready to go.

well, sounds like thats what Kwame did, and it sounds sensible.  But you know special sunflower Phillip can't do anything that might make any sort of sense so he went the opposite and made a over the top complex dish and got pouty when no one wants to execute it.  He continually says that there is stuff at his restaurant that people just rave over and love, love, love like his model/actress/pastry chef wife's dessert.  The one that kinda flopped.......and I'm thinking that if this dish fails as spectacularly, he will happily blame Kwame.  

• Love 1

well, sounds like thats what Kwame did, and it sounds sensible.  But you know special sunflower Phillip can't do anything that might make any sort of sense so he went the opposite and made a over the top complex dish and got pouty when no one wants to execute it.  He continually says that there is stuff at his restaurant that people just rave over and love, love, love like his model/actress/pastry chef wife's dessert.  The one that kinda flopped.......and I'm thinking that if this dish fails as spectacularly, he will happily blame Kwame.  

OK, but, by all accounts the food at Phillip's vegan restaurant, at least, is pretty creative, and the other one is a reasonably intelligent take on offally masculine cooking (with pig!). I just increasingly don't believe that those menus spring from Phillip.

Edited by Julia

The fact that Phillip was coming across as the sane one (mason jars and 500-piece dessert aside) on the orange team was kind of scary. He's aswful but he is amusing. That whole mason jar conversation and the bit where Kwame starts briefing servers and he comes over and is all "I'm not in charge. I'm just helping out. Hi.' made me laugh. 

I make my shopping lists on section too, but honestly - she's got a pen and paper and Carl is talking. She doesn't have to copy his stuff down in order. When he says 'Bacon' she can put that in her meat column, then put 'lettuce' in her veg column, then he says 'pork' she puts that in the meat column again etc. etc. It's not hard. I do it when I'm halfway through my list and my husband reminds me of some things we need. I didn't think much of her one way or the other but this episode she came across as quite terrible. 

• Love 4

I still like Isaac but I fear he's not going to be around much longer.  Jeramy can leave any time.   Is there a "bro" drinking game for this episode?

I liked Marjorie's idea to ply the patrons with free booze to get them out of their seats...

• Love 1

I also kind of wish I'd thought to hold out on watching this week's episode so I could watch both parts of RW together. I was pretty sure there would be no elimination, so I felt safe I wouldn't get Twitter-spoiled. 

After reading the comments on here, that's what I'm going to do, I think.  

I haven't seen the episode but if there were shenanigans with the diners refusing to leave, that's almost certainly due to the producers.  Those people don't have free will - they're on a teevee show.

• Love 1