Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

It's pretty disturbing to see the hate that's being directed at Philip Winchester on Twitter, i.e. tweeting him directly, tagging him etc... If someone is unhappy with the situation, then they have other options to express their feelings, which include changing the channel and/or letting their feelings be known in a mature, adult manner instead of outright harassment. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gigglepuff said:

It's pretty disturbing to see the hate that's being directed at Philip Winchester on Twitter, i.e. tweeting him directly, tagging him etc... If someone is unhappy with the situation, then they have other options to express their feelings, which include changing the channel and/or letting their feelings be known in a mature, adult manner instead of outright harassment. 

I notice that happens more often these days.

It caused another actor to delete all his SM accounts.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

I notice that happens more often these days.

It caused another actor to delete all his SM accounts.

That's awful. People are so brave behind the anonymity of the 'net. I think social media is great tool for fans to interact with their faves or to talk about their show but sadly some people have no boundaries and think nothing of crossing the line. Wonder how they'd feel if they were the ones being targeted for something as simple as going to work and doing their job? Cause, really, whether we love them or hate them, that's all any of these actors are doing. 

• Love 2

I completely agree with the #1 choice but side-eyed the description of Barba. Sure he clashed with the squad in the beginning but for the past two years he’s been kissing Olivia’s ass.

Abby was always my favorite mothership ADA.

That description of Barba is hilarious, unfortunately. No other sat around talking about what to do about cases with the Squad like he did, in the end. Also the term "pulled the plug" has become so over used these days that seeing it used here actually doesn't  do it justice that Barba actually physically turned them off. In a hospital. On his own. With his own hands.

Clearly I'm still having problems with this.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 9:17 PM, Gigglepuff said:

Well, since Benson treated Stone like shit and acted like a rude bitch to him and Mariska says she can’t tell the difference between herself and Benson, I bet it is her fans doing it and I think she deserves some blame. I get there is a big difference between disliking characters and the people that play them, but when Mariska says her and Benson are the same well, maybe these idiots think that’s what Benson wants them to. It’s not uncommon at all for lunatic fans to go after actors because of a character they play, especially when that character is the antagonist of a character with a cult following. 

I was on Twitter for about  a day years ago.  I do get curious  when I hear things like this, and in general  how there are rabid people  in fandomso with completely different  view points than me like it's barely the same show. But I just can't actually look at Internet train wrecks. Winchester the last person  I'd  think to blame and although  I love discussingredients shows-even ones I'm  disappointed  in- I'll  never comprehend harassing  actors/famous  people.

I am on Facebook  and  the official  SVU page has done little to acknowledge Raul is gone after working  so many years on the show. I read on this board the cast has been silent. Are they still? I find that so strange unless it was a terrible departure.

Reminder that general political discussion is not allowed on PTV (it's fine to mention that Diane Neal is running for Congress, but let's not use it as a jumping off point to discuss politics in general, please)

Didn't know where to put this, but Ice T apparently has a new series coming to Oxygen in April, In Ice Cold Blood with Ice T. Just saw a commercial for it in which he appeared.

Just saw the commercial again. It debuts on April 1st at 7:00 pm ET.

• Love 1

Wonderwoman....don't bother. MH's documentary about untested rape kits is going to be shown at a documentary film fest hosted by the Detroit Free Press. She will be there with a Q&A after the showing. There ya go.

it's 

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I would like to find that article, but I’m not surprised, I find it hilarious that MH herself said she couldn’t really tell the difference between herself and St Olivia. 

It's on a facebook page 'Fame 10" 10 things you didn't know about Mariska Hargitay. From April 14 , 2017. 

E! Online has an article with Phillip Winchester about a possible Stone/Benson romance. This character of Benson. Enough with banging the ADA's. The other article is about "I Am Evidence". Detroit Free Press site. I do hope that was polite enough.

• Love 1

There’s a huge 17 year age difference there with Stone and Benson.  I wonder if Executive Producer Hargitay would allow that to be commented on. 

Edited by LizDC
  • Love 2

I don't know why they keep hooking this woman up with ADA's a decade younger. It's soooo WTF? Immoral, unethical and unprofessional, a big no no on every level, and still they just can't have Benson without a bang buddy. It's just silly.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, QueenMab said:

I don't know why they keep hooking this woman up with ADA's a decade younger. It's soooo WTF? Immoral, unethical and unprofessional, a big no no on every level, and still they just can't have Benson without a bang buddy. It's just silly.

For the record, Winchester did pretty much say he didn’t think SVU would go there. But it’s absurd that it’s even a question, the show tries to make Benson into some sex goddess that every man she comes across would throw there life away to sleep with, when she’s actually a wrinkled up 55 year old cow who wouldn’t attract any attention from someone like Stone. Mariska’s ego is just so huge that she demands to be hooked up with attractive younger guys and they try to make Benson out to be some young and beautiful woman when she isn’t.

No one would imagine Cragen hooking up with Cabot or Novak, and this is basically the same thing. It’s absurd, please don’t let Benson ruin Stone the way she ruined Barba.

Edited by Xeliou66

Who are these attractive younger guys that Mariska has demanded Olivia hook up with? All of her romantic partners on the show have been age appropriate. And where are people getting this idea that something might happen with Stone and Benson? Because of that scene of her walking in on him changing? Pretty sure that was more for our benefit than hers--the show's clever way of showing off their newest eye candy. The writers often found excuses to get Christopher Meloni and Danny Pino shirtless too. Stone seems to respect Olivia and her experience and I can see him continuing to seek her guidance and acceptance because he feels out of his element with sex crimes, but there's nothing romantic there. 

8 hours ago, Everleigh said:

I can see him continuing to seek her guidance and acceptance 

And therein lies the problem. Stone's job is not one where he should be accepting guidance, let alone seeking it, from a cop. Nor should he need her acceptance. Her job i s to supervise the collection of evidence, his is to decide if it warrants legal action. This idea that the ADA needs SVU's approval to move is so wrong and something that only developed after Hargitay's ego flew out of control. It's severely hurt the show and flies in the tradition of L&O and reality.

• Love 3

Yes. I get that this show is built around Olivia, but she is not the all knowing sage when it comes to the law, and it is a disservice to portray her as such. Peter does not need guidance from the cops about how to try cases. In reality, Peter would have a lawyer boss, the Special Victims Bureau Chief. If he had questions about trying sex crimes, he would get guidance from that person.

I am SO glad that Rafael came in and knew what he was doing. Of course that was under Warren's oversight, and he had a better handle on Rafael (I just kind of put the past two seasons of Rafael slowly being turned into Olivia's lap dog out of my mind and just focus on seasons 14-17). But this abject worship of Olivia is just eye rolling to watch. They could still have Olivia as the star, but have a clear separation between the cops and the lawyers. As a mothership writer, Michael Chernuchin would know that, so it seems more of a deliberate choice to write Peter as needing to be guided by Olivia.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 2

Benson dispensing legal advice is beyond irritating and has severely hurt the show, and it started when Mariska became an executive producer and the show became more of a personal pulpit for her than a crime procedural. Stone is a smart prosecutor and doesn’t need guidance, at least he isn’t taking her orders about what to do, I’m really hoping they don’t ruin Stone like they ruined Barba. 

I wonder if MH has no idea how much of an egomaniac she looks like or if she just doesn’t care cause she’s the Queen Bee and no one has more power than anyone else on the show.

• Love 1

Thanks FireGhost. Maybe the reason these crimes don't get attention is because the Special Victims Div. spends all day sitting in court watching their boyfriend's play at being a lawyer. Understaffed and under trained. Maybe someone should inform Benson she needs to get her ass back out there being sensitive to rape victims and investigating those cases, instead of trying to be the ADA on the cases too. This article....truth hurts!

• Love 1

I was just setting  my nightly reminder/automatic channel change for The Daily Show and Mariska is listed as the guest. 11pm Comedy Central for anyone who doesn't know the show time.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2018 at 4:14 PM, Gigi43 said:

I was just setting  my nightly reminder/automatic channel change for The Daily Show and Mariska is listed as the guest. 11pm Comedy Central for anyone who doesn't know the show time.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/mma4m7/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-mariska-hargitay----i-am-evidence--and-america-s-sexual-assault-epidemic---extended-interview

For anyone interested who missed it or wants to see the unaired portions. Not much about the show here and I don't think most here will find anything new. It's a good cause she's promoting, but I couldn't help rolling my eyes a bit in parts.

Mariska was on NBC Nightly News tonight. She apparently sees SVU as her vehicle to put sexual assault and related issues into the public dialogue. Without a doubt the work to deal with untested rape kits backlog is important but something about her attitude is off-putting to me, like she's some kind of designated savior.

• Love 3

FYI.....Raul Esparza's new show is on the NBC fall schedule and is now called "No Way Back". It seems he's just "part of the cast", which includes Jeri Ryan, who is rather unappealing and kind of the kiss of death to a show but, here's hoping.

I've read the book this show is based on, and yeah, the character Raul plays is not the main character. Though he was in it more than I expected, and the book went in directions I didn't quite expect. It could make for an interesting show, though I don't know how it would go beyond one season, unless they drag the story out or significantly change it.

On 17.4.2018 at 4:03 PM, QueenMab said:

FYI.....Raul Esparza's new show is on the NBC fall schedule and is now called "No Way Back". It seems he's just "part of the cast", which includes Jeri Ryan, who is rather unappealing and kind of the kiss of death to a show but, here's hoping.

Jeri Ryan will play Raúl's wife.

Jeri Ryan is like taller than MH....about 5'11. WTF? Why do they keep putting RE with unappealing women a foot taller than him? Never thought she was much to look at either. Most actresses on TV are about 5'2. How does RE manage to work with the few really tall and not all that ones?!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ForeverAlone said:

Just how much more Amanda family drama do we need? ???

And I guess this means Amanda survived the finale.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too.  I think Rollins' "history" has been pretty well laid out for us.  Personally, I'd hope for more story for Carisi, be it history or otherwise, if I didn't think they'd trash him in the process.  They've been doing a good job of that for Rollins lately.  KG may have faith in these writers, but I don't.  

• Love 1