Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

Ask Matt (TV Insider)

Question: What can you tell me about SVU's two-hour season premiere? — Shavawn

Matt Roush: A reminder that this isn't a spoiler column, but it has been widely reported by now that SVU will kick off its 17th (!) season with a classic "ripped from the headlines" premise borrowed from HBO's The Jinx and its central notorious figure, alleged killer Robert Durst (including the plot point of a confession caught on camera that could seal his fate). If the killer in this storyline looks familiar, it's because Dallas Roberts (who plays Alicia's brother on The Good Wife) is back as serial killer Dr. Yates, who was introduced in the SVU crossover with Dick Wolf's Chicago-based series. To further whet your appetite for the Sept. 23 premiere, you can watch the SVU trailer here.

I obviously wish Kelli takes all the time she wants/needs with her newborn but at the same time hope she won't miss too many episodes, it's bad enough Pino is gone.

NYC maternity leaves are typically four to five months long, so hers will be awfully long once the baby arrives.  As of now, how far along is she?

NYC maternity leaves are typically four to five months long, so hers will be awfully long once the baby arrives.  As of now, how far along is she?

True, but as we discussed in its forum, Kathryn Erbe's leave from L&O: CI was for seven (or was it eight?) episodes, so it was a while, but not 4 or 5 months. Maybe it is dependent on what KG wants to do?

True, but as we discussed in its forum, Kathryn Erbe's leave from L&O: CI was for seven (or was it eight?) episodes, so it was a while, but not 4 or 5 months. Maybe it is dependent on what KG wants to do?

Yes, but even then, Eames still managed to appear in most of those episodes, only flat-out being absent from two or three of them.  Julianne Nicholson was gone from that same show and her role as Wheeler for months during her own maternity leave.

Apparently ION is expanding its L&O repertoire. While watching L&O: CI just now, there was an Elliott-centric commercial heralding SVU. It's coming to ION on 9/25 at 9:00 a.m. ET, likely in marathon fashion a la USA, as that is how ION airs its shows.

The Mothership, per the site, is also headed there, beginning on 9/23, also at 9 a.m.

• Love 2

That is very good news!  I have no need of the Mothership, but I wouldn't mind checking out SVU there to see how ION runs that show.

I just don't get why they made such an Elliot-heavy commercial when he's been gone for four seasons now.

That is very good news!  I have no need of the Mothership, but I wouldn't mind checking out SVU there to see how ION runs that show.

I just don't get why they made such an Elliot-heavy commercial when he's been gone for four seasons now.

I can see why, since he was in SO many episodes over the years. And they'll be airing them too. 

• Love 1

She's due in late Oct. I think ep6 will be her last. Ma & sis Rollins is slated to be on that episode. I'm fearing more and more they will actually write it in and perhaps her family showing up to show that support which may or may not be so supportive according to WL will set in early labor (AR doesn't necessarily need to be so far along as KG). I'm still clinging to hope there won't be any more babies on SVU though. & I can just hope KG wants to come back earlier cause I just can't stand SVU w/o both her and DP. The set seem kid-friendly, I fear MH might even steal that baby seeing how she fondles KGs belly in every pic I see *lol*, so I hope she'll be able to come back sooner. I think when starting up filming again in 2016 would be a good time for her to come back already ;)

Just a brief update about SVU on ION: Per the episode guide on ION's site, the channel has seasons 1 through 5 and then 13 through 16. So I guess those are what are available. (In contrast, CI has all 10 and the Mothership - also starting this month - only has S13 through 16.)

So if you want to see other seasons, looks like USA is still the way to go. ION is beginning SVU with its pilot.

• Love 1

Insomniac me is up. I was at ION's site again. Just a heads up: SVU's permanent slot is on Fridays, all day and night, from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. on Saturday mornings, effective 9/25. For those who watch the others, Mothership and/or CI, the same pattern holds for the Mothership on Wednesdays into Thursday morning. CI also has the same pattern, Thursdays into Friday morning.

So, the network is literally L&O-oriented for 72 hours straight! There really is now a de facto L&O network!

• Love 1

Adding to the above, ION released the schedule for this Saturday, the 26th, and all 3 L&O shows will air that day starting with CI from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., then SVU from 4 to 11, then the Mothership from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.

So if you're looking for something to watch in between the usual weekend plans, it's an option.

Also, apparently ION will show SVU on Mondays from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m., too.

Just the thought of Tuckson makes me want to vomit. Disgusting. Making Tucker "soft" is one of their biggest mistakes, he's the guy we love to hate.

And if they start with Liv's lovelife after a whole frickin season of Benoah drama then I'm seriously done with this show. It's supposed to be a show about heinous crimes, I agree the thought of Tuckson is heinous & might even be a crime but not in the right way. Pls show stay on the right track now, the season premiere looks like a killer, keep it up and don't drown in Liv centered drama again.

• Love 5

Just the thought of Tuckson makes me want to vomit. Disgusting. Making Tucker "soft" is one of their biggest mistakes, he's the guy we love to hate.

And if they start with Liv's lovelife after a whole frickin season of Benoah drama then I'm seriously done with this show. It's supposed to be a show about heinous crimes, I agree the thought of Tuckson is heinous & might even be a crime but not in the right way. Pls show stay on the right track now, the season premiere looks like a killer, keep it up and don't drown in Liv centered drama again.

This, this, this. Enough of the Liv centered plots. Anymore and I'll be bolting from this show.

• Love 1

Leight said in a teaser interview that someone might "wander" into Olivia's life to round out her perfect family....

PLEASE LET IT BE TUCKER!!!!!

Mmm. So hott.

I really hope they bring Cassidy back; I liked the two of them together.  I read an interview with him that said when he was cast on Battle Creek, his contract didn't allow for him to come back to SVU, but now that the show is cancelled, I want the two of them to get back together.

Or maybe I just want more Dean Winters on my screen, but either way, it's a win/win for me.

• Love 1

I really hope they bring Cassidy back; I liked the two of them together.  I read an interview with him that said when he was cast on Battle Creek, his contract didn't allow for him to come back to SVU, but now that the show is cancelled, I want the two of them to get back together.

Or maybe I just want more Dean Winters on my screen, but either way, it's a win/win for me.

This. They were SO good together! I'd love to see him back on SVU.

The L&O palooza is apparently this week only on ION. CI returns to Fridays next week, 10/2, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. SVU moves to Saturdays on the 3rd from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m., and the Mothership will be on a short window late Saturday night from 11 p.m. until 3 a.m.

Will this pattern last? Who knows? ION seems to be all over the map!

I agree about Dean Winters being dreamy as all hell, but I think Robert John Burke is just so damn fine and I love him being sexy and flirtatious.  

I ALSO agree with the idea that Liv's love life and Liv-centered plots are tired.  But I still can't get over my crush on that Silver Fox Tucker.

• Love 1

http://tvline.com/2015/09/22/law-and-order-svu-andy-karl-season-17-cast/

Another musical actor. Can we have singing now?

Interesting....for some reason I thought they got rid of Danny Pino because they couldn't afford him (I don't know why I made that up in my head).  I thought like, okay they brought on Carisi, they want this guy, so someone has to go.  But does this mean Liv is now a Lieutenant?  And if she is, does that mean she stays in the squad room more cause that would be great.  I'm kinda sick of seeing her talking to victims.  It's always the same bullshit.  I personally prefer the way Rollins deals with victims, as a woman.

• Love 1

Winters' brother is going to be on again, might be the closest you'll get to Cassidy being back ;)

Articles about Rollins' baby daddy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/law-order-svu-rollins-pregnant-826291?utm_source=twitter

http://uk.eonline.com/news/697320/kelli-giddish-on-her-law-and-order-svu-baby-surprise-and-what-s-ahead-for-rollins

I think

Murphy

will be baby daddy.

It would work as he might still be in deep UC and it would account for his absence. And it would give Donal a chance to guest star again, might even be back for S18 as I read Gotham got bad ratings. Okay I'm getting ahead of myself. I would've wished Nick would be baby daddy, if it turns out to be Murphy it raises a lot of questions for me. Like was it seeking companionship after Amaro left? Or is it Murphy's own 'blindspot for men in power' at play? It would certainly bring Patton in to play for me as Murphy was her boss at one point. A bit creepy but also could bring good drama, AND a good way to actually deal with Patton and her rape. I will not accept that they just drop that storyline. Makes me furious that they might not even address it again.

Interesting....for some reason I thought they got rid of Danny Pino because they couldn't afford him (I don't know why I made that up in my head).  I thought like, okay they brought on Carisi, they want this guy, so someone has to go.  But does this mean Liv is now a Lieutenant?  And if she is, does that mean she stays in the squad room more cause that would be great.  I'm kinda sick of seeing her talking to victims.  It's always the same bullshit.  I personally prefer the way Rollins deals with victims, as a woman.

It's totally possible that it was a cost cutting move especially since SVU has been all about that the past few years. As a theater actor without a lot of TV credits he's going to be making less than Danny Pino was. I personally would've preferred that they brought in an old Broadway vet as the new Lt. If they are going to go the Sam Waterson route with her being more involved in the field than previous commanders, but more in the squad room than now that would be great, but I don't trust them to go that route since it's obvious that they think Benson is why people watch and I don't think Mariska's ego would tolerate a reduced role.

Winters' brother is going to be on again, might be the closest you'll get to Cassidy being back ;)

Articles about Rollins' baby daddy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/law-order-svu-rollins-pregnant-826291?utm_source=twitter

http://uk.eonline.com/news/697320/kelli-giddish-on-her-law-and-order-svu-baby-surprise-and-what-s-ahead-for-rollins

I think

Murphy

will be baby daddy.

It would work as he might still be in deep UC and it would account for his absence. And it would give Donal a chance to guest star again, might even be back for S18 as I read Gotham got bad ratings. Okay I'm getting ahead of myself. I would've wished Nick would be baby daddy, if it turns out to be Murphy it raises a lot of questions for me. Like was it seeking companionship after Amaro left? Or is it Murphy's own 'blindspot for men in power' at play? It would certainly bring Patton in to play for me as Murphy was her boss at one point. A bit creepy but also could bring good drama, AND a good way to actually deal with Patton and her rape. I will not accept that they just drop that storyline. Makes me furious that they might not even address it again.

Dammit. -_-

Ugh. I'm SO sick and tired of Leight right now. 

• Love 1

Dammit. -_-

Ugh. I'm SO sick and tired of Leight right now. 

I honestly can't wait until he leaves as showrunner, wish he could've stepped down before this season. I usually don't like to be negative against a real person, or a character either actually but at times writing sucks for a character and what WL did with both Amaro and Rollins are just sad. I will always adore him for creating them but I feel sad with the lack of interest he showed them especially in S16.

I also find some of his actions on Twitter despicable. He's very demeaning at times when someone doesn't share his views, I have personally been exposed to it. He's blocked several of my friends for airing their opinion on the dropped Rollins rape storyline. Like how childish can you get!? There's a mute button you can use for a reason. I agree not even public people should stand for everything but I read these people's tweets & we're talking about a difference of opinions here, not hate towards WL. The last straw was reached when I read he'd blocked a survivor who tried to get him to read her story, also in relations to Rollins rape. That just made me loose all respect for him and now I can't wait for him to move on.

• Love 1
I honestly can't wait until he leaves as showrunner, wish he could've stepped down before this season

Is he supposed to be stepping down? In any case, I was thrilled with a capital T when he stepped down/was removed as EP of L&O: CI, so I know how you feel.

• Love 2

Is he supposed to be stepping down? In any case, I was thrilled with a capital T when he stepped down/was removed as EP of L&O: CI, so I know how you feel.

Yes, he's definitely stepping down after this season. He's signed some deal with Sony, didn't pay that much attention to what deal really as I was just thrilled he would be leaving. He mentioned it in some recent article that Sony actually loaned him back to SVU this season (dang!) but next season, if there is one, he won't be back. He said he would do his best to get the show renewed.

• Love 3

I haven't seen tonight's episode, as I don't watch the show (I don't think that's a dealbreaker for posting), but I did want to talk about the hashtag on Twitter. #IStandWithSVU?

No. Just...no.

SVU isn't a prominent organization being defunded. SVU isn't a wrongfully accused teenager who wanted to build a science project. SVU is a veteran television series that nearly broke its own arm by patting itself so vigorously on the back for addressing an important social issue. Transgender rights are really important. But what about #IStandWithTransTeens, or something? Something that isn't so self-centered and self-congratulatory.

Even if advertisers threatened to pull their ads because they didn't like the topic, I would still think it's in poor taste. I feel like the #IStandWith tags should be for grave injustices and serious issues in need of wider support. Not...a television show. No matter how controversial the topic.

Shine the spotlight on the kids that need it, show. Not yourselves.

• Love 3

In prelim ratings, SVU is (rounded) within .2 points of Criminal Minds in 18-49.

That's only happened 5 times this decade - twice with confrontations with crazy William Lewis, thrice with Chicago crossovers. Last night was just a regular episode, so it shows how Criminal Minds is falling more rapidly than the immortal SVU.

Ooh, in the finals it's within 0.1 point.

Edited by jjjmoss

I've been watching a lot of ION lately, and they are running a teaser for an SVU episode on Saturday in which "...Olivia fights to save the life of Detective Benson's wife." Way to go, ION, with verifying character names before putting something into heavy rotation!

• Love 2

SVU Boss Eyed Chris Meloni for Finale

NBC’s decision last week to renew Law & Order: SVU for an 18th season means fans will have to wait at least another year for a Benson and Stabler reunion.

SVU showrunner Warren Leight reveals that had this been the show’s final season, he would’ve approached Chris Meloni about bringing Stabler back. “Had this been the last episode, we would have tried to bring him back,” the EP tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Edited by discoprincess

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/law-order-svu-chicago-pd-862545 

WL is definitely a bye-bye, don't scare me like that @WendyCR72 ;) 

Anyone else choke on the "He likes playing with these women detectives. I think he gets off on it." I thought for a second WL was talking about himself. But then I realized he would've totally talked about himself in third person if that was the case. 

I'm also very pleased to hear there will be no more crossovers this season, I hope there will be none in S18 but I know the chances of that is close to zero. I haven't seen last night's crossover yet so I'll hold off on flaming it but Yates was SVU's to take down & WL should've kept that storyline as a two-parter for SVU. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/svu-olivia-benson-transferred-postmortem-872258

As mentioned in the beginning of the article it contains spoilers for ep Manhattan Transfer

It's no secret I'm not a fan of Warren Leight these days but I can logically, not always emotionally but logically I can get that he should stand by his decisions (he doesn't even do that mostly though) but to actually try to reason with the viewers like he does in this interview and basically tell us what we're about to see and how to feel about it now that's just bull. How arrogant can you get!? And to me it seems as though he's trying to win the Barson shippers over by suggesting there's a thing there all while she's screwing Tucker. Just a warning to the Barson shippers though - don't buy in to it before you see it, he did this in several interviews to us Rollaro shippers, nothing came on screen and then he went on Twitter and said that Rollaro was all in our heads. Grrr

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/svu-olivia-benson-transferred-postmortem-872258

As mentioned in the beginning of the article it contains spoilers for ep Manhattan Transfer

. Just a warning to the Barson shippers though - don't buy in to it before you see it, he did this in several interviews to us Rollaro shippers, nothing came on screen and then he went on Twitter and said that Rollaro was all in our heads. Grrr

But Rollins and Amaro were a couple weren't they? Didn't they admit that on screen? (Even apart from that towel scene)