Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I think Stabler will probably make a cameo towards the end of the shows run, I personally don’t really care one way or the other, I never cared for Stabler. I want to see Cragen and or Munch again!! I think they should announce the final season in advance so that they can have plenty of time to get people to return for appearances and give the show a good wrap up. But I don’t trust the showrunners to do anything right, the show is a disaster now. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think they should announce the final season in advance so that they can have plenty of time to get people to return for appearances and give the show a good wrap up. But I don’t trust the showrunners to do anything right, the show is a disaster now. 

Yeah as both @WendyCR72 and I mentioned when they announced Season 21 it would have been nice if NBC announced that it would be the final season and gave us a celebration of the show the franchise and it's history (building on one of the good things Chernuchin did during his run) but unfortunately they didn't. It's not going to come from Dick Wolf - he has never willingly given up on a show in his life, no matter what. Hopefully the declining ratings will force the issue and the NBC pinheads will find the courage to tell him that they have made things right for stupidly cancelling the mothership and shown their gratitude for keeping NBC in the scripted drama business for those 5 years or so, but now is the time to end with a modicum of dignity. Especially since that the decision to end it and try to go out strong would probably be the single biggest thing they could do to improve quality and give the show some sense of direction.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Fellaway said:

20 Surprising Secrets about Law & Order: SVU Revealed

I don't think there's anything here that's really all that surprising to we die-hards.  On the other hand, the author might be surprised to learn not everyone was devastated when Stabler left.

Yeah and most of the die hard shippers that were most disappointed seem to have gotten over it and become Benson stans. I'm actually more disappointed in retrospect than I was at the time. Back then I thought that it might shake things up a bit and that they seemed to have gone as far as as they could with Stabler and Benson had more unexplored potential. I know, I know, but I was young and naive. In retrospect it was a devastating loss - by losing the co-lead the show became a star vehicle instead of an ensemble and the show never really found it's way after that, as by the time they dropped the idea of really replacing Meloni and figured out how to tell compelling stories again towards the end of Leight's run it was already becoming the Benson hour. TBH I was far more disappointed when Munch left as I had no hope he could be replaced and it was clear what the consequences would be.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, balmz said:

Yikes what a train wreck. Diane Neal is apparently difficult to work with, I remember her getting fired from NCIS because she picked a fight with the producers, it isn’t surprising there is drama surrounding her here. 

I also wonder about Hargitay and what people at SVU really think of her, the whole “MH is so wonderful” routine that some of the SVU people have done seems really over the top. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Thanks for letting me know through this article that Rollins and Carisi are on fire with all that chemistry they have together.  I guess I've been watching wrong all this time.  😄 

I honestly do think they have great chemistry. Or at least they did before the writers decided that the way to capitalize on that on screen chemistry was to write them like a couple of not particularly mature middle school students. Which has turned that chemistry on fire although it is of the dumpster variety...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I honestly do think they have great chemistry. Or at least they did before the writers decided that the way to capitalize on that on screen chemistry was to write them like a couple of not particularly mature middle school students. Which has turned that chemistry on fire although it is of the dumpster variety...

I agree that when they were just detectives doing their jobs and partners they had a nice chemistry together.  Just not the roll-in-the-hay or wine-and-roses kind of chemistry.

• Love 1

I disagree, I never saw all that much chemistry between Rollins/Carisi. I find it incredibly forced how they are trying to create chemistry between Rollins/Carisi and I hope they never put them together. I really can’t stand Rollins and think she just drags down the show.

• Love 4
On 8/30/2019 at 4:12 AM, Xeliou66 said:

I want to see Cragen and or Munch again!! I think they should announce the final season in advance so that they can have plenty of time to get people to return for appearances and give the show a good wrap up. But I don’t trust the showrunners to do anything right, the show is a disaster now. 

Yes, definitely Cragen and Munch!  I love those men.  I really miss Cragen's no-nonsense-but-always-fair attitude and how he kept the squad together by actually being in charge (not like Benson).  He wasn't some infallible character and he was just as flawed as his subordinates, but still a strong leader and others respected him a great deal.  I'm still pissed off about that whole bloody 'waking up covered in dead woman's blood' bullshit storyline.  Just WHY???

By the way things are going, I think there will definitely be another season.  Maybe the newer, younger audiences don't care that there's so much SJW bullshit on the show.  I hate it when show runners forget about the original fans who were there from the beginning.  It feels like a betrayal.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

Yes, definitely Cragen and Munch!  I love those men.  I really miss Cragen's no-nonsense-but-always-fair attitude and how he kept the squad together by actually being in charge (not like Benson).  He wasn't some infallible character and he was just as flawed as his subordinates, but still a strong leader and others respected him a great deal.  I'm still pissed off about that whole bloody 'waking up covered in dead woman's blood' bullshit storyline.  Just WHY???

By the way things are going, I think there will definitely be another season.  Maybe the newer, younger audiences don't care that there's so much SJW bullshit on the show.  I hate it when show runners forget about the original fans who were there from the beginning.  It feels like a betrayal.

This must be the audience they are pandering to, and St. Olivia will be in her holy glory with that.

Agree that Cragen and Munch are deeply missed and were the among the very best of the show.  Cragen's character assassination was pathetic.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 4
On 12/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, SarahPrtr said:

From everything we know there is no "newer, younger audience" unless you are talking about viewers who came in 10-15 years ago instead of 20. The biggest factor in the downward spiral has been the lack of new or casual viewers forcing the show to pander to a certain core group of the existing fans (and the ego of the actor who is the reason those fans keep watching.) The viewers keeping the show on the air have been there for awhile and stay because they are following Benson's story and they either don't care about the agenda being pushed or support it for various reasons plus a few die hards who will watch just about anything in the Law & Order franchise. I don't think that the show runners have forgotten about the original fans as much as they take direction from Dick Wolf and NBC who want to keep the show going no matter how much it departs from the original mission or dilutes the franchise ban. I would say there is plenty of evidence that the show runners would prefer something closer to the classic formula than to what the show became immediately prior to the last few seasons and they have tried to implement that with various degrees of success but have met resistance from the other players who influence the direction of the show.

On 12/14/2019 at 2:37 AM, CrystalBlue said:

This must be the audience they are pandering to, and St. Olivia will be in her holy glory with that.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be feeling more like glory holy...

• Love 4

I've watched from the beginning and I just go with the changes. I originally thought the show would not overcome the absence of Stabler, but I was wrong.  I wish Belzer and Dann F. were at the special because they are both funny, but maybe they didn't want to come. Still looking forward to the special.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, dttruman said:

A new article about SVU came out and it's not the article I thought was interesting, but the comments.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/law-order-svu-isnt-coming-113000898.html

Yeah a bunch of people echoing our complaints about the preachy, didactic writing and about St Olivia. It’s clear that a lot of people don’t like how the show has gone the past few seasons, and it seems like the writers only care about appealing to younger women with SJW leanings. 

I actually think they’ve toned down the worship of St Olivia a notch or two this season. My biggest complaint about season 21 is how they seemed to be wasting Carisi by making him an ADA but barely focusing at all on the legal side of cases, and putting in the god awful Hadid character as Carisi’s boss and bringing back the unnamed DA boogeyman. And they focus on Rollins too much, she’s a writers pet.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2019 at 4:11 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah a bunch of people echoing our complaints about the preachy, didactic writing and about St Olivia. It’s clear that a lot of people don’t like how the show has gone the past few seasons, and it seems like the writers only care about appealing to younger women with SJW leanings. 

I actually think they’ve toned down the worship of St Olivia a notch or two this season. My biggest complaint about season 21 is how they seemed to be wasting Carisi by making him an ADA but barely focusing at all on the legal side of cases, and putting in the god awful Hadid character as Carisi’s boss and bringing back the unnamed DA boogeyman. And they focus on Rollins too much, she’s a writers pet.

I wonder if NCIS will try and surpass SVU. They put out a pretty good product and I think Mark Harmon mentioned if he goes, he hopes the series will continue.

• Love 1

Watched the episode on USA Network on Sunday, with the now "imprisoned" Dale Stuckey who nearly beat the crap out of Elliott and killed a fellow M.E. there.

As he was crazy but still I felt he may have had a mental illness. As well as despite meaning well and was a bit of a easy to please annoying person. 

But Elliott was kind of mean to him. Not excusing of course what Dale did at all. But really he needed to get help.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Passepartout said:

But Elliott was kind of mean to him. Not excusing of course what Dale did at all. But really he needed to get help.

This is where I have a problem with it. They were making Benson and Stabler characters more bad ass at the time. The difference was, Stabler was developing into a more frustrated and burnt out cop and Benson was becoming frustrated also, but her focus (almost obsessive) was getting justice for victims. I guess this was the start of the downward spiral for Stabler, which ended his career a couple of years later and Benson's new Holier-Then-Thou attitude.

• Love 1

The Stuckey character was one of the worst, most annoying characters in SVU history, and killing off CSU O’Halloran was one of SVU’s worst mistakes ever, he was a great minor character, and the characters didn’t even say anything about it or acknowledge he was killed afterwards. I have no idea why they brought on the Stuckey character but he was awful, yes I agree he may have had a mental illness, and yes Stabler was a dick to him (Stabler was a dick to most people by the end of  his career) and Stuckey was remarkably irritating, even before he went psycho. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Stuckey character was one of the worst, most annoying characters in SVU history, and killing off CSU O’Halloran was one of SVU’s worst mistakes ever, he was a great minor character, and the characters didn’t even say anything about it or acknowledge he was killed afterwards. I have no idea why they brought on the Stuckey character but he was awful, yes I agree he may have had a mental illness, and yes Stabler was a dick to him (Stabler was a dick to most people by the end of  his career) and Stuckey was remarkably irritating, even before he went psycho. 

i always hated that as well

i always thought about making a sequel fanfic where it's revealed ryan survived but suffered bad permanent brain damage and had to go on permanent disability, we then see the trial of dale and he tries either an insanity defense or eed and tries to blame elliot and the svu crew for making him snap

additionally we find out what happened to peter harrison

• Love 2
On 1/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, Xeliou66 said:

On 1/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, balmz said:

i always hated that as well

i always thought about making a sequel fanfic where it's revealed ryan survived but suffered bad permanent brain damage and had to go on permanent disability, we then see the trial of dale and he tries either an insanity defense or eed and tries to blame elliot and the svu crew for making him snap

I always thought Stucky was very irritating too, but I didn't realize they were going to involve him in later episodes. In past episodes and future ones, Benson and Stabler almost always seemed a little condescending to both the cops (who find the body) or the CSUs working the site.

I wonder if they killed off O’Halloran (Mike Doyle) because he was offered another series? I looked him up and saw that he had plenty of parts but none of the TV shows didn't become established. The O’Halloran character would have been a perfect regular for SVU and they should have have made his demise so permanent.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:38 AM, dttruman said:

New video out on Youtube with Meloni talking about Hargitay and the early years on SVU. Now this seems sincere to me as opposed to some of those other interviews we have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R87Zfl6w1Qw

I agree. At least it’s not “sickly sweet or try-hard” (not my words, btw).

P.S: In case you’re wondering...

Am I a cynic, or is this a little to sickly-sweet or try-to-hardy? 

https://people.com/tv/mariska-hargitay-husband-peter-hermann-sweetest-quotes/

...they’re @Gigglepuff’s words.

Edited by agentp
  • Love 2
On 1/12/2020 at 5:44 AM, dttruman said:

Found this on Yahoo, checkout the comments. A lot more people are catching on.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/law-order-special-victims-unit-175713921.html

Allow me to borrow John Oliver’s words to respond to this:

”Oh, I think people are catching on. It’s taking longer than it’s perhaps ideal, but I think, pretty soon, all of us will be fed up, right up to the tippy-fucking-top.”

P.S: It’s at the end of this video:

https://youtu.be/ySTQk6updjQ

• Love 1

Today's "Matt's Inside Scoop": Hello! Any news about SVU will be welcome. –Sú
Prepare to learn a lot more about squad newbie Kat in the Feb. 6 episode, which will capitalize on Jamie Gray Hyder’s real-life love of (and proficiency in) boxing and martial arts. “The producers got wind that I like to fight and that I train, and were like, ‘All right, we’re putting it in an episode,'” Hyder says. “So they made Kat a fighter, as well.” The hour also will be the first time that viewers see Kat’s life outside the precinct, as the detective uncovers something shady happening at her gym.

Please read the second line under episode description - 1st name listed.  Am I completely incoherent or hallucinating? Is this an error? Leight has made it known that he wanted some actors to return, with Raul being one of them.  He also has been known to not announce that certain popular actors may be sneaking in an appearance, ie Donal Logue. Could it be true? 

C4A82EBE-3CDA-4056-9284-9F44F7738E33.jpeg

2 hours ago, ChristiKRN said:

Please read the second line under episode description - 1st name listed.  Am I completely incoherent or hallucinating? Is this an error? Leight has made it known that he wanted some actors to return, with Raul being one of them.  He also has been known to not announce that certain popular actors may be sneaking in an appearance, ie Donal Logue. Could it be true? 

C4A82EBE-3CDA-4056-9284-9F44F7738E33.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this is an error. A return of Barba would get a ton of publicity, it would be promoted beforehand, looks like this is false info. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m pretty sure this is an error. A return of Barba would get a ton of publicity, it would be promoted beforehand, looks like this is false info. 

Xeliou66, you just broke my heart.  First, I find out Kim Rollins is returning and now no appearance from Raul in the next episode.  I had a feeling it was too good to be true.  Rough day. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Doubt that means much. Maybe she just found a better place. (It SHOULD end. I just doubt this is it. No way would NBC/Dick Wolf not make an EVENT of its ending...)

NBC will make it an event when it comes. You can bet the ranch on it. Dick Wolf will downplay it as he tries desperately to get someone somewhere to pick it up. He has never bowed out gracefully ever. At this point the only question is do they move it to Peacock or not with only the premiere and series finale on broadcast? Speaking of Peacock and media BTW this popped up in my Google News this morning:

‘Law & Order’ Finally Set for Streaming Debut on NBCUniversal’s Peacock

Now that the deal is signed NBC can finally seriously look at putting the show out of it's misery, but they aren't going to do it without an announced final season and they aren't going to lose the golden opportunity for cross-promotion and driving sign ups.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, wknt3 said:

NBC will make it an event when it comes. You can bet the ranch on it. Dick Wolf will downplay it as he tries desperately to get someone somewhere to pick it up. He has never bowed out gracefully ever. At this point the only question is do they move it to Peacock or not with only the premiere and series finale on broadcast? Speaking of Peacock and media BTW this popped up in my Google News this morning:

‘Law & Order’ Finally Set for Streaming Debut on NBCUniversal’s Peacock

Now that the deal is signed NBC can finally seriously ook at putting the show out of it's misery, but they aren't going to do it without an announced final season and they aren't going to lose the golden opportunity for cross-promotion and driving sign ups.

In the article, apparently not only is it for Original Recipe, but SVU, Criminal Intent, and the Chicago franchise. So Wolf makes another mint. And thus, should not cry when SVU calls it quits. (Though we know better.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

In the article, apparently not only is it for Original Recipe, but SVU, Criminal Intent, and the Chicago franchise. So Wolf makes another mint. And thus, should not cry when SVU calls it quits. (Though we know better.)

I doubt he'll be pissed like he was with the mothership or cry like he did with Conviction, but I doubt he'll accept it gracefully either. More likely he desperately shops it around and insists on leaving the series finale open ended so that he might be able to do a TV movie or something (after all the franchise has never had one no matter what you might have heard and you can't convince me otherwise). I think that the the renewal was always a secondary concern to this deal with the ultimate decision makers at NBCUniversal and that without a dramatic plunge in the ratings they weren't going to risk ruffling his feathers by axing the show. I'm still holding out hope that they will do the right thing and announce that next year is the last and give us a final season with a creative mandate of celebrating the history of the franchise and going back to basics, but I'm not betting on it.

• Love 2

Honestly I think it’s time for SVU to end now that it’s got the record - let’s face it, the show sucks now for the most part, and it doesn’t even really feel like an L&O show anymore, it has no continuity with the rest of the franchise and I doubt it ever will again, and MH’s ego has taken over the show and made everything about Benson, and for the most part the show is just soapy dreck. I wish they would focus on going out with a shred of dignity instead of continuing on and getting worse and worse but they won’t do that.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I wish they would focus on going out with a shred of dignity instead of continuing on and getting worse and worse but they won’t do that.

What dignity? I haven’t seen dignity in this show since it cast a convicted rapist (Mike Tyson) as a special guest star.

• Love 3