Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

How much pull does Dick Wolf have with NBC and CBS? Is he powerful enough to get the networks to do his bidding. This article states the networks want to do it, but I have my reservations. I thought this would be an impossible feat, but what do you think?

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/fbi-law-order-svu-dick-wolf-plotting-network-crossover/

I don’t think it will be done, nor do I think it should be done. I think it’s pretty clear FBI and SVU take place in seperate universes, just because something can be done doesn’t mean it should be. But I would rather see an FBI crossover than any crossover with the godawful Chicago franchises, I hate the Chicago shows with a passion.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, when I saw that, I thought it was a weird idea.  I know the television landscape has changed, but a rival networks crossover?  These guys know they're in competition with each other, don't they?

If it happens, I hope they just leave SVU out of it.  I don't watch any of these other shows, for reasons, and the crossover ep hasn't happened yet that's made me watch the other show as a consequence.  Generally, I don't like crossovers. Too many characters leading to too much story dilution and not enough time for the characters I am interested in.  And, like @Xeliou66, I hate Chicago P.D. Those are some bad cops, right there.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Fellaway said:

If it happens, I hope they just leave SVU out of it.  I don't watch any of these other shows, for reasons, and the crossover ep hasn't happened yet that's made me watch the other show as a consequence.  Generally, I don't like crossovers. Too many characters leading to too much story dilution and not enough time for the characters I am interested in.  And, like @Xeliou66, I hate Chicago P.D. Those are some bad cops, right there.

I starting to think now that it will be done. Only because of the novelty or that it has never been done before and will never happen again.   It kind of reminds me of the reason why SVU was renewed for a 21st season. Not because it is a current top-notch drama, but because it will break the current record held by Gunsmoke. But even the most consecutive seasons by a one hour drama record that SVU will have, will still be under scrutiny because Gunsmoke still has far more episodes than SVU. There should definitely be an asterisk next to SVU.

(edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t think it will be done, nor do I think it should be done. I think it’s pretty clear FBI and SVU take place in seperate universes, just because something can be done doesn’t mean it should be. But I would rather see an FBI crossover than any crossover with the godawful Chicago franchises, I hate the Chicago shows with a passion.

17 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Yeah, when I saw that, I thought it was a weird idea.  I know the television landscape has changed, but a rival networks crossover?  These guys know they're in competition with each other, don't they?

I'm starting to think now that it will be done. Only because of the novelty or that it has never been done before and will never happen again.   It kind of reminds me of the reason why SVU was renewed for a 21st season. Not because it is a current top-notch drama, but because it will break the current record held by Gunsmoke. But even the most consecutive seasons by a one hour drama record that SVU will have, will still be under scrutiny because Gunsmoke still has far more episodes than SVU. There should definitely be an asterisk next to SVU.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, dttruman said:

How much pull does Dick Wolf have with NBC and CBS? Is he powerful enough to get the networks to do his bidding. This article states the networks want to do it, but I have my reservations. I thought this would be an impossible feat, but what do you think?

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/fbi-law-order-svu-dick-wolf-plotting-network-crossover/

He creates shows that draw a mass audience and are evergreens in re-airing which means he has enough pull to get the networks to not say no out of hand. I suspect that CBS would prefer to maneuver things so that NBC is the one saying no since FBI has higher ratings and they don't want to boost the competition especially since it boosts the likelihood that NBC ends SVU and his ties to NBC are diminished further.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:47 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Yes given the amount of Dick Wolf Stock Company players in new roles it's clear that they are separate universes. I think if they want to do a crossover and Richard Belzer's health allows they should just have Munch appear on FBI since it's already been established that he has the ability to travel the television multiverse at will.

4 hours ago, dttruman said:

I starting to think now that it will be done. Only because of the novelty or that it has never been done before and will never happen again.   It kind of reminds me of the reason why SVU was renewed for a 21st season. Not because it is a current top-notch drama, but because it will break the current record held by Gunsmoke. But even the most consecutive seasons by a one hour drama record that SVU will have, will still be under scrutiny because Gunsmoke still has far more episodes than SVU. There should definitely be an asterisk next to SVU.

Never again? Are you assuming network television completely collapses before the last vestiges of anti-trust and FCC regulation do? Because I wouldn't be surprised if Disney or NBCUniversal is allowed to buy the FOX network in a few years and multi-network crossovers become normal.  As far as caveats are concerned, yes Gunsmoke has far more episodes, because that's how things were done back then, but it also had a lot less competition (think 1-5 other channels and no recording) so you can argue that fewer episodes is more than offset by the tougher competition. If there is an asterisk it should say "NBC royally fucked up and in a just universe this record would be held by the mothership."

Edited by wknt3
typos
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

A fluff piece designed to make Mariska look good. I think she’s an epic phony and diva.

Probably. If that's what they're going for, then they're trying waaaaay to hard. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Because I wouldn't be surprised if Disney or NBCUniversal is allowed to buy the FOX network in a few years and multi-network crossovers become normal. 

I don't keep up with financial goings-on of the different networks, but is FOX in bad shape that it could be bought out?

19 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Am I a cynic, or is this a little to sickly-sweet or try-to-hardy? 

it’s not as though the two are mutually exclusive...

but yes, this is wayyy too sickly-sweet and try-to-hardy. and not to read too much into the #s, but for the record, eight of the twelve comments are peter talking about her.

just saying...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dttruman said:

I don't keep up with financial goings-on of the different networks, but is FOX in bad shape that it could be bought out?

Without going too far off topic, it was spun off when Disney took over Fox and no longer will own it's scripted programming. After saying how they'll be fine and otuside studios will give them ownership of shows for their valuable timeslots they're now talking about doing more sports, live, and unscripted programming so they're sort of aimless right now and the most likely to be acquired by one of the other major players. As we've covered here many times before the economics of modern network television require an ownership stake in the shows and their decisions don't make sense without that (SVU would have been cancelled already without the ownership factor and the fact that NBCUniversal's cable networks make tons of money off the reruns.) Although given the state of things these days I could see CBS merging with NBC too or Disney buying everyone. Maybe Benson will actually get to be an Avenger?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, wknt3 said:

Although given the state of things these days I could see CBS merging with NBC too or Disney buying everyone. Maybe Benson will actually get to be an Avenger?

I wouldn't put it past them. But it would be the first Avenger movie that could win a soap opera award. Probably a daytime "Emmy".

Those details concerning the networks was very informative!

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I went to Google and found something on Twitter, that I hope some one can clarify for me. Are these the actual writers for SVU series?

https://twitter.com/warrenleightTV

Looks like it!  And I see our uncredited writer, Mariska Hargitay, is front and center in the pic.

I don't know any of the names, except Warren Leight and Julie Martin, of course, but I've never paid much attention to the writers' credits on the show.  I'm still cautiously optimistic about 21, because of WL, though I may be at a table for one.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

Looks like it!  And I see our uncredited writer, Mariska Hargitay, is front and center in the pic.

I don't know any of the names, except Warren Leight and Julie Martin, of course, but I've never paid much attention to the writers' credits on the show.  I'm still cautiously optimistic about 21, because of WL, though I may be at a table for one.

Thank you for confirming that they probably are the writers for SVU. I was thinking that Leight was meeting with a sort of Fan Club of SVU that got together to watch it every week.

IMO, they are the ones who come up with the original ideas and good beginning of the episodes, but then are given specific changes and then have to figure out how to make these specific changes realistic. Unless it's the head writer or executive producers who make the changes themselves.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

12 Best Law & Order: SVU Baddies of All Time

I would definitely dispute some of these.  Some of them I don't even remember.  Brooke Shields, I can't even remember her character's name, that's how impactful she was to me.  Hey, I say, let her keep Noah.

Yeah, I agree with you concerning Shields. She was just an overly concerned relative, that wanted Noah back in the family. If it would have been another child, Benson would have been sympathetic to the Shield's character and probably let her off with a stern warning.

I thought those rich preppy kids who raped and killed a girl and then killed their classmate because he was going to testify against them were pretty despicable. If not stopped by SVU, they would have gone on to be a pair of prolific serial killers. (I forgot the name of the episode and I will go back to look it up).

That one ex-con that killed (I believe) a lady animal rights activist and dismembered her, he was pretty repugnant. The lady was given some commemorative earrings that look like a dogs and that's what they use to nail him. I will look that one up too.

Edited by dttruman
corrected a victim's description from Prodigy
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, dttruman said:

Yeah, I agree with you concerning Shields. She was just an overly concerned relative, that wanted Noah back in the family. If it would have been another child, Benson would have been sympathetic to the Shield's character and probably let her off with a stern warning.

I thought those rich preppy kids who raped and killed a girl and then killed their classmate because he was going to testify against them were pretty despicable. If not stopped by SVU, they would have gone on to be a pair of prolific serial killers. (I forgot the name of the episode and I will go back to look it up).

That one ex-con that killed (I believe) a lady officer and dismembered her, he was pretty repugnant. The lady was given some commemorative earrings that look like a dogs and that's what they use to nail him. I will look that one up too.

Gone from season 7 sounds like the first episode you are describing. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Gone from season 7 sounds like the first episode you are describing.  

Thanks a lot on that one. I just found the other one and I was off on it's description. The lady wasn't a cop, but an animal  rights activist.

That guy was Joe Polleti from Prodigy.

Edited by dttruman
coreected victim description
  • Love 1
On 6/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, dttruman said:

If there was ever a police officer character that epitomized Linda Fairstein more, it would be Olivia Benson. The number of episodes that they wrote, where Benson pushed for arrests and prosecutions with little direct evidence, shows how much the two have in common.

My first thought when I read that Fairstein inspired this show was "That explains so much about this show - and Benson in particular!"

• Love 1
On 6/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, dttruman said:

Sheila!  That was her name.  Yeah, I think she was just an emotionally damaged woman who needed a doctor rather than jailtime.  Maybe they gave her extra credit because BS is a name actress and her "villainy" was directed at our beloved Benson personally.  But I can think of far worse than her.  The two teenage girls who tortured and killed the little boy in Lost Traveller, for instance, or Brad Garrett's prison guard or Johnny D.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Fellaway said:

The two teenage girls who tortured and killed the little boy in Lost Traveller, for instance, or Brad Garrett's prison guard or Johnny D.

Very Good Call!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 1:07 AM, Fellaway said:

The two teenage girls who tortured and killed the little boy in Lost Traveller, 

If that episode were to air in the last couple of seasons, it would have been revealed that they had been victimized in some way and therefore not responsible for killing the boy. Benson would have been whispering "it's not their fault," and they would have been exonerated. Stone would have insisted on prosecuting the girls and the MH stans would rip him apart because Benson is always right and a saint. 

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

If that episode were to air in the last couple of seasons, it would have been revealed that they had been victimized in some way and therefore not responsible for killing the boy. Benson would have been whispering "it's not their fault," and they would have been exonerated. Stone would have insisted on prosecuting the girls and the MH stans would rip him apart because Benson is always right and a saint. 

LOL spot on!! 

I disagree with a few of their choices for worst villains, Merritt Rook from Authority is nowhere nearly as bad as many other villains, and Sheila doesn’t belong on the list either.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

LOL spot on!! 

I disagree with a few of their choices for worst villains, Merritt Rook from Authority is nowhere nearly as bad as many other villains, and Sheila doesn’t belong on the list either.

Totally agree with you about Merritt Rook. He was compelled by his uncontrolled grief for his dead wife. The ones that should be on the list, should totally lack compassion and be self-absorbed sadists

• Love 2

The SVU channel on Youtube posted this video

Someone pointed out that 8 out of 10 were made back in the old seasons. I am assuming that person meant in the Stabler years. Back when the seasons were good.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hargitay came out with a statement on her Instagram that was picked up by OK! Magazine. It states that she doesn't want anyone including the media to use the term "underage women", when it comes to having sex, sexual assault, or rape. She wants them to use the term "children" instead.  I have no problem with either term. What I don't like about this is that for the last couple of season, she has let the writers use this term (underage women) many times when it comes up in an episode content. I consider this very hypocritical on her part. Apparently she only wants this term to be used on her show and no where else.

https://okmagazine.com/photos/mariska-hargitay-svu-underage-women-sexual-assault-instagram/

Edited by dttruman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think I need to read 1984 again. Clearly this manipulation of speech comes from both sides of the aisle. Terms being a subset of others doesn't make them equivalents. She wants to make a 3 year old and 17 year old equivalents just so she can mislabel situations for emotional impact. Doesn't bode well for the next season.

• Love 4

Hargitay is virtue signaling and trying to look trendy and woke. This doesn’t bode well at all for the coming season, it appears there will be more ridiculous PC dialogue and more of an SJW circle jerk than it was before. I’m so sick of MH and her preaching and agenda pushing, and I have a feeling season 21 is going to be just awful. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

It's such a joke. There was an article about "underage women" like a week ago. She didn't come up with it herself. She's just trying to keep up. 17 is not a child. Doesn't make it any less of a crime to call a 17 year old a young adult. 

Yeah, what's wrong with calling them what they are -- TEENAGERS!

• Love 4
On 7/24/2019 at 2:27 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, what's wrong with calling them what they are -- TEENAGERS!

I think the issue with just labeling them “teenagers” is that both a 13yo and 19yo for the definition, but one is legally an adult. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, JeezumCrow said:

I think the issue with just labeling them “teenagers” is that both a 13yo and 19yo for the definition, but one is legally an adult. 

I'm talking about the issues herein this thread; talking about 17 year olds.

17 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm talking about the issues herein this thread; talking about 17 year olds.

I know, I was answering your question:  just calling them “teenagers” doesn’t solve the “children vs. underage women” debate because a teenager is not only someone who is underage. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, JeezumCrow said:

I know, I was answering your question:  just calling them “teenagers” doesn’t solve the “children vs. underage women” debate because a teenager is not only someone who is underage. 

Juvenile works.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, dttruman said:

Hargitay came out with a statement on her Instagram that was picked up by OK! Magazine. It states that she doesn't want anyone including the media to use the term "underage women", when it comes to having sex, sexual assault, or rape. She wants them to use the term "children" instead.  I have no problem with either term. What I don't like about this is that for the last couple of season, she has let the writers use this term (underage women) many times when it comes up in an episode content. I consider this very hypocritical on her part. Apparently she only wants this term to be used on her show and no where else.

https://okmagazine.com/photos/mariska-hargitay-svu-underage-women-sexual-assault-instagram/

Yeah I doubt that Mariska pays much attention to anything in the scripts beyond making sure she gets a chance to "emote" and whisper every episode and occasionally getting upset when it's suggested that Benson is wrong or asking if they can do more "rich young white women gets abused by powerful man" stories. Beyond that she's pretty much in her own little world. Heck at this point I could see her saying that all crimes against women should be taken seriously and we shouldn't consider sexually based offenses especially heinous...

On 7/23/2019 at 5:29 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I know it is in vain, but I keep hoping S21, after breaking the record for Gunsmoke, will be the end. The ridiculousness keeps rising.

I think the "best" we can realistically hope for is that the ratings go down another couple tenths of a point, NBC officially drops the spinoff since their execs know more than Dick Wolf about casting and we get a Criminal Minds/Criminal Intent style shortened final season with a mandate to take it back to basics and try to make the fans forget about the mistakes of last few seasons. Of course there is the outside chance Mariska wants even more money or makes truly outrageous demands (her own Dateline "To Catch a Predator" specials, but without that pesky evidence just her gut reactions) and NBC cancels the show in time to allow them to have a finale, but I highly doubt that. And don't forget there is a non-zero chance that civilization completely collapses before September 2020 so look on the bright side!

• Love 3

Just found this article from last week concerning SVU. It talks about Ian Mcshane appearing in an episode. I knew he would be appearing in the first episode, but near the very end of this article it says that "Ian Mcshane will be joining the series cast". Now does that mean he will be a regular for season 21?

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/115614/20190719/law-order-special-victims-unit-season-21-premieres-series-cast-changes-for-new-season.htm

1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Just found this article from last week concerning SVU. It talks about Ian Mcshane appearing in an episode. I knew he would be appearing in the first episode, but near the very end of this article it says that "Ian Mcshane will be joining the series cast". Now does that mean he will be a regular for season 21?

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/115614/20190719/law-order-special-victims-unit-season-21-premieres-series-cast-changes-for-new-season.htm

No, he’s just going to be in the season premiere, it’s a misleading statement. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:
7 hours ago, dttruman said:

No, he’s just going to be in the season premiere, it’s a misleading statement. 

I am going to assume that there was no intent to deceive and that it is just a statement that could be taken two ways.

• Love 1