Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU in the Media

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How do we recognize and address victim blaming as a community? If you are unsure what victim-blaming is, please read more about it in this article

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

It can always go back to its pre-bought-out-by-NBC Universal roots and go back to schlock! (USA Up All Night, Silk Stalkings, Duckman, etc.)

I'd prefer that at this point actually.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

So maybe it's a matter of separate audiences for separate periods for the Mothership and SVU.

I know that's the case with me.  I couldn't care less about Seasons 1-12 of SVU.  Seen many of the eps, of course, but I just... can't with Stabler.  Likewise 18 and 19, though I will still tune in for Carisi's sake.  13-17, though, my butt is in the seat.

9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

It can always go back to its pre-bought-out-by-NBC Universal roots and go back to schlock!

It could be argued many seasons of SVU count as schlock, so you could say they've never left...

9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

At least the channel, while frothy, was fun then.

Sounds like us discussing the later Baer years...

Mariska Hargitay Talks 20 Years of SVU

Critics weren’t sure what to make of Dick Wolf’s Law & Order spinoff with a sex-crimes slant when it arrived in 1999. For every "crackling-sharp" and "dead-on," there was a "formulaic" or "uneasy-making." But Mariska Hargitay — who has played intrepid NYC cop Olivia Benson, now the lieutenant, since Day 1 — and her Special Victims Unit costars quickly won over fans, and along the way to amassing 434 episodes, she earned eight Emmy nods, winning one.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just saw the ratings. The show is now fractional in the almighty demo at 0.9. Then again, the other shows in the slot weren't any better. Still, I wonder how much gas this show has left in it...

Ouch.  I thought the subject matter of last week's ep, and the way they chose to promote it, would be polarizing and the ratings might reflect that, but I was hoping they'd rebound this week with a "classic" style ep.

They're up against football and they have a lousy lead-in in I Feel Bad (lousy reviews, lousy ratings), so I still have hopes they'll rebound when football is over and I Feel Bad is cancelled (hopefully).  Personally, I still resent the show having to give up its long-held Wednesday slot, especially in service to the Chicago franchise.

• Love 1

I’m pissed that SVU isn’t on Wednesday’s anymore either, Dick Wolf and NBC screwed this show in favor of the shitty Chicago franchise. Wednesday at 9 was a much better time slot than what SVU has now.

• Love 1

The show is also up against ABC's popular (or was) TGIT lineup. No doubt it has a difficult time slot. But being 20 seasons in, I think simple age may be a factor now, too. And, honestly, this show is still treated better than the Mothership, which was dumped on Friday night from its longtime Wednesday perch in its final year or two.

• Love 4

Yeah, I think NBC will treat SVU better than the mothership.  I read awhile back that they regretted cancelling L&O (Whatever happened to that talk about bringing it back as a limited series?) and maybe they feel they owe DW.  Whatever, I will be very surprised if SVU doesn't get a Season 21, if for no other reason than they're so close to the record.  For myself, I feel they owe it to SVU.  It's been a workhorse for them, and moving it to Thursday, after all these years, was not a cool move.

In years past, a slot on NBC's schedule on Thursday was seen as a prestige position.  Maybe they think they can recreate that and SVU should be flattered.  I dunno, but it ain't happening while football is still on, on any network.  No show stands up to football.  Other than Grey's, ABC's TGIT has been sinking in the ratings, especially HTGAWM.  SVU was a solid performer for NBC on Wednesdays, even last season, so once football is done and they get a better lead-in (please), hopefully the ratings will improve.

I will never not be mad NBC moved it, though.  Here's an idea, NBC: Shift your precious Chicago franchise over to Thursdays.  Let it have the "prestige" night.

• Love 3

not sure if this is the right thread, but according to a 'tonight show' promo, ice t and mariska will be guests this week (not sure which night). expecting an extravagant display of  obsequious ass-kissing (i know, i know: redundent:)

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Mislav said:

This is what Ice-T posted on Twitter following that notorious gamers episode.

h2ivahpori321.png

::sigh::  Well, he's gone down a little in my estimation.  I know this was three years ago, but...  Still.

::going out to buy Time magazine::

• Love 1

Good, I don’t care to ever see or hear about Stabler again, I never liked him, he was a self righteous bully who got off on violating people’s rights, I was never a fan of him and he got worse as the seasons went on. The first 2 seasons without Stabler were the best seasons SVU had had in years. 

• Love 2

http://nj1015.com/nj-child-actor-collects-200-toys-for-kids-this-holiday-season/

Ryan Buggle, 8, brought close to 200 toys to the Hazlet Toys For Tots warehouse on Sunday. Buggle, who plays Noah Benson on the TV show "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit." told New Jersey 101.5 it has become a special way for him to mark the holidays and help other kids at the same time.

"It was so much fun," he said. "I enjoy it because Toys for Tots is the best toy company ever. Kids that wouldn't get toys this year are going to get toys because we gave them a bunch of toys," he said.

He credits his TV mom, Mariska Hargitay, for helping him learn the importance of giving back.

I'm no fan of Noah, at least not the walking, talking version - Loved the non-walking, non-talking version.  He was adorable. - but this is a very cool thing to do.  Kudos to Noah's actor.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

The AV Club ranks SVU's various detective pairings: https://tv.avclub.com/the-dedicated-detectives-of-law-order-special-victim-1831955390

I miss Munch.

I don't know who wrote this, but they are wack. They rank Rollins and Carisi 9 out of 9 partnerships because "they" can't keep their personal lives out of the squad room.  Totally agree on Rollins.  But Carisi?  What personal life?  Mentioning  law school and his family (two of whom were bona fide cases) are hardly on par with the trainwreck that is Rollins.  Or with Stabler, Amaro, Benson, ad infinitum.  Fin might be the only one on the squad who is more professional than Carisi and I'm not even sure about him.

• Love 6

Yeah they have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. They say that Carisi can’t keep his personal life out of the squad room, except he always has kept his personal life outside of his work as a detective, meanwhile they rank Stabler and Benson at number 2 and they ALWAYS let their personal lives interfere with their work as detectives and behaved unprofessionally numerous times as a result. 

It least they put Munch and Fin at number 1, they were the best.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 4

They didn't even mention the fabulous duo of Fin and Carisi, but Stabler and Beck are on the list?!  Benson and Rollins at #4 is kind of ridiculous, too.  They never got along until Benson started allowing Rollins to do what she wants without any backlash.  I agree with Xeliou66 that Fin and Munch were the best.  

Obviously, the Stabler and Benson partnership was a main focus of the series for >50% of its duration, so it's not surprising that they are #2.  Dysfunctional at times, but they usually had each other's back. 

Edited by ChristiKRN
  • Love 5
On 1/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, ChristiKRN said:

Dysfunctional at times, but they usually had each other's back. 

They did have each other's backs, but I think they were dysfunctional always.  For instance, how many times did she cover for his bad cop tendencies?  I always felt Stabler was toxic for Benson; her world revolved around him and the job.  She didn't start to grow as a person or as a detective till he was out of her life.  And don't even get me started on the "will they or won't they" crap, while still trying to portray him as a devoted husband in love with his wife.  Though I fully expect them to end the series with him coming back because Kathy is dead, or some such, so he can finally be Benson's happily ever after.  I really do think that's why they don't let any of her relationships last.  They've gotta keep her available.  I still mourn the loss of Benson/Tucker.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

They did have each other's backs, but I think they were dysfunctional always.  For instance, how many times did she cover for his bad cop tendencies?  I always felt Stabler was toxic for Benson; her world revolved around him and the job.  She didn't start to grow as a person or as a detective till he was out of her life.  And don't even get me started on the "will they or won't they" crap, while still trying to portray him as a devoted husband in love with his wife.  Though I fully expect them to end the series with him coming back because Kathy is dead, or some such, so he can finally be Benson's happily ever after.  I really do think that's why they don't let any of her relationships last.  They've gotta keep her available.  I still mourn the loss of Benson/Tucker.

Agreed 100%. Stabler was toxic for Benson, he was a toxic person in general, extremely angry, narrow minded and controlling, their partnership was dysfunctional, they covered for each other’s crap numerous times, Cragen should’ve fired them both. 

If they bring back Stabler and end the show with a Benson/Stabler romance, I will literally be sick. First of all, this is a crime procedural, not a show about love and romance, second of all, Stabler is a toxic person and bringing him back into Benson’s life would be a horrible thing, and while I hate Noah, he doesn’t need to grow up with Stabler around him, we saw how Stabler treated his own kids. Ending the show with a Benson/Stabler romance would be an insult to the show, the characters and the fans just to please a few fanfic writers.

• Love 6

I never supported a Benson/Stabler romance either; in my opinion, they had chemistry as partners/co-workers only.  They would have been toxic for each other and it would have destroyed their partnership.  I am glad they never went down that road with them.  

I liked Tucker with Benson also; he was mature enough for her and was supportive in episodes such as Townhouse Incident and Heartfelt Passages.  Don't get me wrong - I didn't want to see it front and center.  I always joked that it would be funny for the series to end with Benson marrying Tucker,  then Stabler coming back and promptly keeling over when he saw who she was marrying. 

Honestly, I would like to see many of the characters come back for the final episodes.  Munch, Cragen, Huang, Amaro, etc.  And yes, even Stabler; he was such a huge part of the show for so long.  My opinion only: I think it would be a travesty for him to not come back to tie up the show's final bow (don't get too mad at me for saying that :)) .  Sorry, I know that is not a popular opinion but I would like to see him one more time to find out what he has been up to and/or contribute something to a storyline , but not to come back as Benson's great love. 

• Love 4

I want to see Munch, Cragen, Huang and Warner again, they were all awesome. I would enjoy seeing Barba again if he got to help on a case and not just check in on Benson. I want to see characters from the other L&O shows as well, mainly Jack McCoy, again, also another Eames appearance would be great, as would any other character that’s still around from the L&O franchise.

I don’t care to see Amaro or Stabler again, but I would rather see Amaro than Stabler, Stabler was such a toxic asshole whose personal drama took up so much of the show, I don’t care to ever see him again and I don’t care what he’s up to. Just please no Stabler/Benson romance, that would make me sick. 

• Love 2
On 1/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, CrystalBlue said:

^ I don't think Chris Meloni wants to come back to the show, at all.

I think he’d come back for the final episode but not as a potential romantic partner for benson. Maybe the show ends with her retirement. The squad throws her a party and Cragen, munch and stabler are all surprise guests. or she’s killed in the line of duty and they all show up for her funeral. 

Either works for me.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Somewhat related note, as its pilot was supposed to be back-doored on SVU. L&O: Hate Crimes is delayed "indefinitely" now.

My guess,  probably taking longer than anticipated to cast.

Like others have said here, Peter Scananvino should be the male lead.

I would offer the female lead to Kylie Bunbury.

Then assemble a diverse supporting cast.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

My guess,  probably taking longer than anticipated to cast.

Like others have said here, Peter Scananvino should be the male lead.

I would offer the female lead to Kylie Bunbury.

Then assemble a diverse supporting cast.

Frankly, despite Wolf's sunshiney words, "indefinitely" makes me wonder if it will see the light of day at all.

• Love 3

My guess is that Jussie Smollett and other hoaxes are why they are delaying Hate Crimes, I had a feeling this was coming as soon as Smollett’s story was proven to be bullshit. Since the narrative the show wanted to push about hate crimes being so common is falling apart with so many cases proving to be hoaxes, it would be ridiculous to have a show where a serious hate crime occurs each episode. Hate Crimes is such a limited subject matter anyway so I never expected the show to succeed, but now I have a strong feeling it will never air because they will just look ridiculous.

• Useful 1

And we all have our opinions. But mine? While Scanavino is a good ensemble player, I just do not think he has the gravitas as a lead. Don't kill me! LOL! If this does happen - and I still have a ton of doubts - I think the lead, assuming there is a male lead, needs to be a bit older with some bite to him.

Wolf loves recycling: What's Linus Roache up to? He can be a new character.

But, again, I think this spitballing is moot. I'll believe this show is happening when I see it on my TV.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

My guess is that Jussie Smollett and other hoaxes are why they are delaying Hate Crimes, I had a feeling this was coming as soon as Smollett’s story was proven to be bullshit. Since the narrative the show wanted to push about hate crimes being so common is falling apart with so many cases proving to be hoaxes, it would be ridiculous to have a show where a serious hate crime occurs each episode. Hate Crimes is such a limited subject matter anyway so I never expected the show to succeed, but now I have a strong feeling it will never air because they will just look ridiculous.

What “other hoaxes” have occurred?

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

What “other hoaxes” have occurred?

Not to get too far off topic but there have been many other, less high profile, hoaxes, for example, a transgender activist in Detroit burned down his own house and made it look like a hate crime. 

Since so many hate crimes are turning out to be fake, I knew that they would pull the plug on L&O Hate Crimes because they wouldn’t be able to push their agenda convincingly now.

(edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 8:29 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Frankly, despite Wolf's sunshiney words, "indefinitely" makes me wonder if it will see the light of day at all.

Yep. Us long time L&O fans know that Wolf never gives up on his shows. Heck he's probably taken a meeting with Netflix about reviving Conviction. Bringing it back on topic here I personally suspect that this is related to the SVU renewal negiotiations. As we've mentioned before it's probably going to be renewed and if I'm an NBC exec I'm pushing for an announced final season a la CI since they're running out of gas creatively, finally have mutliple successful non-DIck Wolf dramas, and are drifting down to the point where the numbers will point to cancellation and they would definitely get a boost from the announcement of a big final season. And like I said above Dick Wolf never wants to end things if their is the slightest possibility of still making money so he's probably not that willing to go along. Given the tie in and the lack of multiple gaping holes in the NBC schedule the spinoff is a good point to exercise a little leverage in the process. Creative issues may also play a role since network execs now micromanage the casting process and the network and Wolf may have very different ideas of how tightly the new show should be tied to SVU. I really doubt that news events or politics played much of a role, or writing problems either for that matter, given Warren Leight's track record of handling controversial issues adroitly and the fact that there is no epidemic of hoaxes or lack of real nice headlines to rip from. Although given the history there maybe it is all about story problems - I can totally see NBC asking why more of the victims of bias crimes couldn't be affluent 18-35 year old white people, or Warren pitching the idea of the big story being having the female lead kidnapped and tortured by a hate group or having one lead character's parents being an LBGT Jewish minority couple and the other being the child of a former KKK Grand Wizard who is incarcerated while their mother struggles with the psychological trauma causing both to struggle with the reminders of their  family issues as they work cases, while Mariska has an ear to ear grin and the head of programming decides that maybe they don't have an open slot after all...

Edited by wknt3
fixed typos and cleaned up phrasing
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Can I just ask, has the show definitely been renewed for the 21st season?

I was looking at an article put out by ET they have SVU listed as awaiting decision on renewing.

Another thing I noticed was that "Law & Order: Hate Crimes" was being redeveloped. I forgot all about that series.

53 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

This page - Renewed TV Shows 2019 - is a good source of keeping track of what's been renewed by network.  They keep it very up-to-date.

As @dttruman said, no word on SVU yet, but, if I recall correctly, NBC waited till the end of the season or even a bit after to renew last year.

Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I know we rag on it, but I'm glad it was renewed, as long as it means more Carisi on my screen.

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

::fist pump::  Yes!  Stone is so dang boring and, for me, a large part of that falls on PW's shoulders.  I wonder if it was his choice to leave, or otherwise.

I will be sad to see Stone go, I like him and his by the book style and how he doesn’t bow to Benson most of the time. I wonder if that’s why he’s exiting, he stands in the way of the almighty St Benson and her agenda, I wonder if Mariska wants him gone or if the Stone bashing SJW Benson fans are influencing the writers. 

I wonder who the new ADA will be? Let’s hope it’s a good character, not a Benson bot. 

• Love 1