Type keyword(s) to search

Homeland in the Media

nymusix
  • Start Topic

This Season of ‘Homeland’ Was Written in Something Like Real Time

When Season 6 began this past January, it seemed that the writers of “Homeland” had miscalculated. Just five days before the real-life spectacle of a Trump inauguration, “Homeland” featured a female president-elect, whose transition team was preparing to take power.

But as the episodes unfolded, art met life to an uncanny degree, sometimes with real-time precision. Fiction and fact converged in story lines around an elaborate web of fake news, the machinations of a powerful “deep state,” and the unprecedented sight of a new president at war with the United States intelligence community.

• Love 3

DEADLINE: Which puts Emmy consideration in the cards…

GANSA: Yes, but we are not putting him up as a supporting actor. We are putting Rupert up for Emmy consideration as a lead actor, the first time we’ve done that since Damian’s left the show. I really believe his performance warrants that, and not just his performance, but the fact that he carried so much of the emotional baggage of the season and did it in a way that was electric. It was a bit of a revelation to all of us who watched him, largely because he was so transformed as a character.

Well, that's a big risk to take. Not that he wouldn't deserve it, because he would, but I think Supporting is a safer bet, almost a sure thing.

On 14.12.2013 at 3:56 AM, nymusix said:

it's been increasingly clear that the writers neither know how to write for these characters, nor know what to do with them. 

I share your thoughts exactly.

Claire Danes says S8 is the end of the road for the show. (She's also pregnant.)

Alex Gansa said they're dumping the current storyline with its parallels to the current administration and the final season will likely take place in Israel. 

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Claire Danes says S8 is the end of the road for the show. (She's also pregnant.)

Alex Gansa said they're dumping the current storyline with its parallels to the current administration and the final season will likely take place in Israel. 

I'm on board with all of this.  Please tell me though, that they won't work her pregnancy into the script.  Pulleeze

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Please tell me though, that they won't work her pregnancy into the script.  Pulleeze

Seriously! I don't know when they start filming again, but in the article she's quoted as saying she's "deep into her second trimester." 

I'm also glad the show is ending -- it ended for me when Quinn died -- but I'm really tuning in now more out of habit than actual interest.

7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I don't know when they start filming again, but in the article she's quoted as saying she's "deep into her second trimester." 

I'm happy for her being pregnant again, but I really hope that "deep into her second trimester" means that they aren't going to begin shooting the final season until after she pops that baby out. The last thing we need is another Franny situation.

• Love 1

Thank goodness they are going back overseas for the last season; no more child and domestic melodrama! Hopefully we can also have Claire on consistently successful drug regimen for 10 episodes. I really don't need another arc of getting the meds right.

Right now, I kind of hate-watch the show, but if they can write a good story for the last season, I'll forget about the dreck that this show has descended to on more than one occasion, before rising again.

• Love 3
On 4/19/2018 at 6:20 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm on board with all of this.  Please tell me though, that they won't work her pregnancy into the script.  Pulleeze

I don't think her first pregnancy was incorporated into the show. IIRC, they had her pregnant in Homeland after she had already given birth in real life. I remember Claire saying she was 8 months pregnant when they were filming her chasing Abu Nazir in the streets and inside the warehouse during Season 2. 

I think her being a mom story line wasn't because Claire got pregnant, but because the writers just want to have a continuance on the Brody and Carrie (love) story. 

• Love 2
On 4/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, riverclown said:

I saw Mandy Patinkin on Morning Joe yesterday. He said, along the lines "the ending will be of a moral nature and a suggestion of possibility which I think is our duty in the fiction world".

I see what he was talking about there as to a suggestion of a possible course of action. And getting this suggestion out there could very well be why the writers chose that particular resolution of the President's situation.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - F. Murray Abraham

I love F as much as the next person, but, he was in one episode and maybe only one scene? (I may have that wrong, but he had a very small role this year.) It's like a few years ago when Character Actress Margo Martindale* won the Emmy in this category for The Americans and had only been in one or two scenes. 

*TM Bojack Horseman

• Love 1

Hmm, they would start showing promos by now if they were airing in the Fall.

Maybe they're going to try to spring a surprise.

Homeland tends to try to reflect current events so I would not at all be surprised if it involved Russia.

And since this is the swan song season, maybe the plot is about a Russian asset at the highest level of govt.

Whoops!

But it would be a kind of symmetry to the Brody being turned by Islamic jihadist leader story line with which  how the series started.

Think about it, Carrie, Saul and the rest would be part of the Deep State and to have the president shit on the CIA and the rest of the intelligence community would be very germane to this series.

Oh and a year from the elections, with hacking and election security in the news, the showrunners might be tempted to go there.

Of course it wouldn't be terribly exciting if Carrie is trying to out-hack Russian hackers but no more outlandish than how Carrie became proficient with guns and a quasi field operative over the course of the show.

• Love 1

OK, so it will debut in Feb. 2020, meaning they will have had almost 2 years hiatus since last season.

Meanwhile the plot is:

The final season of Homeland finds Carrie Mathison (Danes) recovering from months of brutal confinement in a Russian gulag. Her body is healing, but her memory remains fractured — which is a problem for Saul (Mandy Patinkin), now National Security Advisor to the newly ascendant President Warner (Emmy and Golden Globe winner Beau Bridges). The top priority of Warner’s young administration is an end to the “forever war” in Afghanistan, and Saul has been dispatched to engage the Taliban in peace negotiations. But Kabul teems with warlords and mercenaries, zealots and spies — and Saul needs the relationships and expertise that only his protégé can provide. Against medical advice, Saul asks Carrie to walk with him into the lion’s den — one last time.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/02/homeland-final-season-8-premiere-date-showtime/

Yawn.  They could have done this story earlier this year, unless Beau Bridges is going to be channel the current POTUS.

I guess the Afghanistan season was okay.  Was that the season where the Pakistani intelligence kept trouncing Carrie and Saul?

Could be interesting if they get payback on that bitch Tasneem from that season.

Carrie and Saul should have been shitcanned from the CIA.  First Carrie screws Aayan, gets him killed.  How does she get sexually involved with another POI after the Brody fiasco?

Then they get Fara killed.

The ISI owned the CIA that season, IIRC.  Maybe they need to get revenge for that season.

Meh, I still like my idea better.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, Giant Misfit said:

I have no idea what happened last season. Glad it's ending though.

I can't remember either...something Saul kidnapped...Carrie didn't take her meds, went crazy ....something......Brody...oh wait he's dead....something.....Quinn...oh wait he's dead.....something  (actually I really can't remember last season at all)

• LOL 4

The only thing I remember from last season was that tense (and then explosive) episode at the compound, which I thought was great. That's always been Homeland, though... long stretches of stuff I find fairly boring and then a great episode that keeps me watching. I'm not sad it's ending, but I'll be there.

The Hollywood Reporter's cover is about Homeland. Lots of behind the scenes info. Seems there was some drama with Rupert Friend, at least in the beginning. They also talk about the risk that was casting Mandy Patinkin, who had a reputation of walking out of TV shows. And much more. It's a great read.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/homeland-declassified-battles-backlash-cia-meetings-a-secret-call-edward-snowden-1269957

• Useful 1
On 1/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, Norma Desmond said:

The Hollywood Reporter's cover is about Homeland. Lots of behind the scenes info. Seems there was some drama with Rupert Friend, at least in the beginning. They also talk about the risk that was casting Mandy Patinkin, who had a reputation of walking out of TV shows. And much more. It's a great read.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/homeland-declassified-battles-backlash-cia-meetings-a-secret-call-edward-snowden-1269957

So they acknowledge things like keeping Brody around too long.

The Showtime exec. who ordered the show and had told them to keep Brody tells his part of the story.

What I found interesting is that immediately they got a huge following in Washington, which opened up access to CIA officers, meeting with the producers and writers and talking about real spies, which gave the writers ideas for whole seasons.

That started happening in season 3.  But if you look at the whole history of the show, it started getting increasingly preposterous a lot of the scenarios.  People were wary because the show runners had worked on 24, so the fear was the ridiculous plots from that show would seep into Homeland, which started out so strong.

If you look at the Rottentomatoes averages, you see that they peaked in season 1 and it's just been a descent since.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/homeland

Still trying to get over the scene of an attempted assassination of the POTUS on inauguration day, by some rogue general and soldiers loyal to him, willing to kill the incoming commander in chief.

They got that idea AFTER talking to CIA officers and other spy agencies like the Mossad.

• Love 1