Type keyword(s) to search

Homeland in the Media

nymusix
  • Start Topic

http://tvline.com/2013/12/13/homeland-season-4-cast-jessica-dana-leaving/

Can't say I'm upset by this. As good as Morena Baccarin and Morgan Saylor were in season 1, it's been increasingly clear that the writers neither know how to write for these characters, nor know what to do with them. The Dana story this season was just awful.

Edited by David T. Cole
Just edited the title to see how the spoiler tag prefix thing works.

Loss of Damian Lewis' character puts 'Homeland' and Claire Danes back on original plan, says show's creator

I'm actually pretty excited by this new beginning, of sorts. While the chemistry beween Danes and Lewis was great, I can totally understand how the show runners would be interested in getting the show back to what they were originally going for. Keeping Damian Lewis longer than they had ever intended goes back to a theory I continue to hold about shows and show runners: They should not bend to fan wishes. 

• Love 2

I totally agree. I didn't hate the last season as much as most people, but I definitely feel that it was the weakest, and the first half was essentially padding to get to the ending where they finally could get rid of Brody. 

And so much this when it comes to the fan pandering stuff... Yeah, sometimes, it's nice to listen to the fans (especially the more sane and articulate ones), but lately, with the advent of social media, it's become too much. Basically all shows I watch pander to the fans in some extent, and 90% of this incursions aren't really for the best.

• Love 2

Have you guys seen the little snippets they've been showing between Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex? Carrie's baby looks like she has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome...which would be appropriate but shocking in terms of realism. Think they will go there?

Have you guys seen the little snippets they've been showing between Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex? Carrie's baby looks like she has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome...which would be appropriate but shocking in terms of realism. Think they will go there?

A real baby with FAS in that set? No way.

Edited by Raachel2008

It's a flashback, if it's anything at all. He was there, but Gansa said Brody's dead-dead.

Gansa - EW.com: “I can confirm that, yes, Damien Lewis was in Cape Town on the set. But I can also confirm Nicholas Brody is dead.”

Oh, I hope not. If I never hear the name Abu Nazir it would be too soon. Also, it would make it seem like every terror leader is just BFFs with every other terror suspect on Earth, and that doesn't seem all that real or true. 

While I liked Damian Lewis, I'm really glad that the show is kind of starting afresh. It's what I thought Homeland would be when I signed on four seasons ago. 

Edited by Mozelle
lso, it would make it seem like ever terror leader is just BFFs with every other terror suspect on Earth, and that doesn't seem all that real or true.

Normally, I'd agree, but wasn't Brody captured in Afghanistan originally? It wouldn't be out of place if he was revealed to know some of the people operating there currently.

It's what I thought Homeland would be when I signed on four seasons ago.

I agree. The Brody saga went for far too long.

Ratings news: the show returned down from s3 finale (unsurprisingly), with 0.6 18-49 demo (1.610 mln of viewers) vs. last year's 0.8. What shocks me the most if that The Strain, that joke of a show, got 1.0 for its finale. Cable viewers really aren't any better than network.

Normally, I'd agree, but wasn't Brody captured in Afghanistan originally? It wouldn't be out of place if he was revealed to know some of the people operating there currently.

You know what, you're right. Well, he wasn't originally captured in Afghanistan (they thought he was killed in Iraq), but a SEAL team found him there. 

Pakistani's object to depiction of country in Homeland:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-16/pakistan-homeland-unrecognizable-pakistani-author

As she wrote for the New York Times on Wednesday, the Pakistan that's portrayed in the series is nothing like the one she knows. "Islamabad is a very well-planned, beautiful and small city. It doesn't have huge crowds thronging in streets," Shah says. "It doesn't have your traditional tea shops and buses plying the streets the way it's being portrayed in Homeland."

Shah says she prepared herself mentally before watching the series. She's used to Pakistan being portrayed as a country with filled with chaos and security issues, yet she was still surprised by the number of things that the series got wrong.

She points out one scene in which protesters gather in front of the US embassy, waving Pakistani flags and chanting anti-American slogans. It's in response to the action that unfolds in the first two episodes, in which Claire Danes' character, CIA officer Carrie Mathison, orders a drone strike that kills several people at a wedding party.

"There is no way that protesters could stand right outside [the embassy's] gates. It's hidden way deep inside a diplomatic enclave, heavily protected," Shah explains.

Edited by scrb

I read the article when it came out and, whole the author makes good points, her points would be valid when other countries are depicted as well. Even when a show or scene is said to be in a different State, this can happen.

She also gives examples that don't really fit her complaints. One of them is about "the Mighty Heart" about Daniel Pearl who was shot in India, instead of Pakistan. The reason for that was security and I can't blame the producers for that.

Besides, it is naive to think that producers will choose to shoot on a different country when it is cheaper. That's not how Hollywood works.

The latest New Yorker has an article reviewing the policy of drone strikes in Pakistan during the Bush and Obama administrations.  So it's not about Homeland per se, though it is mentioned in an aside, but it's relevant, and both interesting and sometimes horrifying.

A couple of quotes that may relate most to Homeland

About halfway through the article:

Being attacked by a drone is not the same as being bombed by a jet. With drones, there is typically a much longer prelude to violence. Above North Waziristan, drones circled for hours, or even days, before striking. People below looked up to watch the machines, hovering at about twenty thousand feet, capable of unleashing fire at any moment, like dragon’s breath. “Drones may kill relatively few, but they terrify many more,” Malik Jalal, a tribal leader in North Waziristan, told me. “They turned the people into psychiatric patients. The F-16s might be less accurate, but they come and go.”

In the third and second to last paragraphs:

For Pakistani human-rights advocates, the drone war in Waziristan poses a problem of lesser evils: which is worse, American bombing or Taliban revolution? Taliban suicide bombers have killed thousands of civilians in Pakistan’s cities, and the movement is loathed and feared. In June, the Pakistani Army launched a major assault on the Taliban in Waziristan. C.I.A. drones reportedly struck Uzbek militants during the operation. Over all, the Pakistani Army has fought the Taliban to a stalemate, but the group’s adherents have gained influence in areas of Karachi, Pakistan’s commercial capital, and can still launch successful attacks even in Islamabad. Many Pakistanis understand all too well that their government lacks the competence and the credibility to suppress the Taliban. Some among the élite, therefore, welcome—or, at least, accept—the C.I.A.’s drone strikes as a necessary, temporary compromise.

From Day One, I’ve been saying, I’m not against drones,” Akbar said. “It’s just a machine. It’s more precise than jets. But it’s only as precise as your intelligence.” Collecting target information from the sky is difficult; so is gathering information from a semi-hostile partner on the ground, like I.S.I. Akbar wondered aloud if I.S.I., to discredit the United States in the eyes of Pakistanis and the world, might “sometimes give the C.I.A. false targeting information.” It would not be surprising.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 1

Sean Hannity rearing his head re: Homeland. He says the creators want to drop the theme of "Islamic terrorism" and focus elsewhere next season. Alex Gansa is considering the storyline shift for creative reasons and to avoid repetition. The show has focused on mid-east terrorists since it began in 2011. Hannity apparently thinks this is caving to the terrorists.

Edited by riverclown

This year's Homeland Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Drama Series

Claire Danes - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Lesli Linka Glatter - Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (From A to B and Back Again)

F. Murray Abraham - Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

Three graffiti artists hired to add authenticity to refugee camp scenes in this week’s episode of Homeland have said they instead used their artwork to accuse the TV programme of racism.

In the second episode of the fifth season, which aired in the US and Australia earlier this week, and will be shown in the UK on Sunday, lead character Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, can be seen striding past a wall daubed with Arabic script reading: “Homeland is racist.”

Other slogans painted on the walls of the fictional Syrian refugee camp included “Homeland is a joke, and it didn’t make us laugh” and “#blacklivesmatter”

Guardian: 'Homeland is racist': artists sneak subversive graffiti on to TV show

• Love 1

Three graffiti artists hired to add authenticity to refugee camp scenes in this week’s episode of Homeland have said they instead used their artwork to accuse the TV programme of racism.

In the second episode of the fifth season, which aired in the US and Australia earlier this week, and will be shown in the UK on Sunday, lead character Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, can be seen striding past a wall daubed with Arabic script reading: “Homeland is racist.”

Other slogans painted on the walls of the fictional Syrian refugee camp included “Homeland is a joke, and it didn’t make us laugh” and “#blacklivesmatter”

Guardian: 'Homeland is racist': artists sneak subversive graffiti on to TV show

I was just reading the story in The Washington Post. I have to say, I love the subversive nature of these artists' protest. *fist in the air*

• Love 5

This is an ongoing problem with lots of shows, because we never know anymore how many episodes a season consists of. 12? 10? 8? 6? It could be any of those answers with any show.

So--how many episodes does this season of Homeland have? Is this Sunday's episode the finale?

I have a few episodes to catch up on yet, so I don't have the benefit of having heard any promo announcement that would answer my question.

Knowing how many episodes matters, because as a viewer you kind of regulate your response to a given episode with that knowledge. If I'm watching the season finale of a show, I want to know going in that I'm watching the season finale of the show--not be surprised next week when it isn't on.

Moderators, if you're reading--I think it could be a public service to put a pinned topic at the top of every show forum saying "This show has X episodes."