Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Smoke & Mirrors

Wait a damn minute...if Peggy's brother was killed in action, then who the hell was Sharon Carter's father?! It didn't say whether Michael had a family. Did I miss something?

That quibble aside, I loved the backstory flashbacks. Was floored that Peggy was engaged before Cap. It obviously wasn't meant to be though.

• Love 2

Wait a damn minute...if Peggy's brother was killed in action, then who the hell was Sharon Carter's father?! It didn't say whether Michael had a family. Did I miss something?

We didn't hear anything about his family, one way or another.  I had the same question.  Actually, now that I think about it, if he had a wife, why was the death notice being delivered to his mother?  (dramatic license, I guess, since Sharon exists and has the Carter surname, so either Michael had a wife or there's some other brother we didn't see)

When I saw Ant-Man last summer and was thinking about how well-developed Hope's family history was, I realized that Peggy had basically no backstory, for all the screentime and how rounded her personality was.  So it was nice to get some of that (contrasted with the villain; I guess encouragement makes all the difference).

Edited by SeanC

I liked the flashbacks as well, even with the unsubtle juxtaposition of Aggie and Peggy's upbringings. I do wish Peggy had figured out her destiny on her own and wasn't spurred by her brother's death.

You have to give Hunt this, he was one tough son of a bitch.

Nice episode. Interesting contrasts between Peggy and Whitney. Intriguing that Peggy had a fiancé 3-4 years before she met Steve Rogers. I wonder if we'll see him again. With Peggy's luck, he'll team up with Dottie and Whitney to take her out.

Jarvis as a butt monkey never gets old. Here's hoping he gets his groove back next week.

Whitney is the most interesting Frost on Tuesday nights. Sorry, Caitlin.

ETA: Anybody else get a kick out of how deflated the SSR army was when their raid was called off? Tough to be an extra.

• Love 2

I can not wait for Peggy to kick the crap out of Kurtwood Smith's character.

The flashbacks of course show that Whitney had a terrible home life, and Peggy had a loving home life with a brother that always encouraged her to be herself.

In a word this episode could be described as Jarvelous.

• Love 8

Apart from the scene with Peggy and Kurtwood Smith, which was extremely effective, I thought this was a very weak episode. The flashbacks didn't really tie into the current plot at all, and Peg's first fiance was such a drip it was hard to believe. And I don't know if it was weak acting or we were supposed to dislike her brother, but I was really hoping we wouldn't have to see him again. Although I suppose I do feel a little bad about that now.

• Love 4

Whitney is one scary villain. I also liked seeing her backstory.

Speaking of backstory, I loved seeing Peggy and some of her history. I assumed her brother maybe had a war time wedding, and his wife was pregnant when he died? Or something like that? He might have had a young family that we didn't see mentioned. 

Interesting to see she had a fiance. Nice enough chap, but no Steve Rogers, clearly. 

• Love 1

So how did we get to niece Sharon Carter? There has to be another sibling we didn't meet.

Loved seeing the SSR agents getting ready for their raid. And so disappointed when Red Foreman shut them down!

I loved the Sousa wasn't indignant that Peggy kidnapped Hunt, he was mad she didn't let him help. And he really seemed to think she'd poisoned the guy. I'm glad he'd finally at the stage of 'let Peg be Peg.'  Practically squeed at 'I'm with you to the end.' Nice callback to Bucky and Steve from First Avenger.

No wonder she mourned so long over Steve. He was exactly what she needed at the time and very much like her brother. Unlike the colorless fiance. And of course Peggy worked at Bletchley Park. How could she not have?

Could Whitney's backstory be anymore cliched? Dust bowl, single parent, working girl mama, blond beauty discovered in Hollywood? All the tropes right there.

If Sousa was at Bastonge, I'm going to pretend he was part of the 101st Airborne. Cause they were badasses and I love Band of Brothers.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 6

That was a very interesting episode.  And I really liked what it revealed about Peggy Carter.   I like the fact that we were shown that she was afraid to go against the society grain at that point in her life.   She wasn't always fearless when it came to breaking societies unspoken rules.   At one point in her life, she was someone that the Dooley's, Thompsons and their like, could have bullied and brow-beat into submission.   I also liked that she looked so average at that point in her life, but when she took her brother's advice and went after what she really wanted, she really blossomed in more ways then one.   I like that when they pull back the layers, we see moments both minuscule and monumental, where Peggy Carter is brave.

And it was nicely contrasted with Whitney/Agne's choices.   Whitney regrettably chose, the path that had been brow beaten into her, about how she only had one way to get ahead in the world.   With an unfortunate twist of fate, Peggy could have been someone who's potential was squandered and never realized.    I was inspired by Peggy's tale but I was also quietly sad for Whitney's.

I really liked the chemistry between Sousa and Peggy in this episode.   And now I really hope they end up together.  He is nicely contrasted with Jack Thompson.  Sousa has his issues and insecurities but he's a good guy.   And awesome of him to steal evidence he and Peggy could use to continue their investigation.    I nearly squeed when he told Peggy to stop pushing him away (that was the sentiment) when he heard that thug in her trunk.

Tony Stark should create a College Grant named Peggy Carter.   This woman kept the world safe before the Avenger's hit the scene.   I love 1 or 2 avengers, but I pretty much love (or love to hate) every character introduced in the Agent Carter era.   I don't care what the ratings say, I think this is one of the best Marvel Properties brought to the screen.

• Love 14

Tony Stark should create a College Grant named Peggy Carter.   This woman kept the world safe before the Avenger's hit the scene.   I love 1 or 2 avengers, but I pretty much love (or love to hate) every character introduced in the Agent Carter era.   I don't care what the ratings say, I think this is one of the best Marvel Properties brought to the screen.

I'm not convinced that Tony didn't know Peggy fairly well. And while he is of course of a later generation (the one that is supposed to know better anyway), I think knowing Peggy is why Tony likes strong women and has never hesitated to work with them. I'm really hoping that the upcoming Civil War movie might delve into how Tony and Peggy could have crossed paths. Could you imagine the look on Cap's face if Tony calls her Aunt Peg or something? 

• Love 4

Good, but not great.  It felt like they blew all their actions scenes last week, so tonight was nothing but exposition.  It made the episode drag.  That said, I did like learning about Whitney's origins, especially compared to Peggy's surprising past.  Did anyone else think Whitney had killed her uncle at first and that's why she went to Hollywood?  

Those poor mice didn't stand a chance.  Neither did Rufus.  That was his name, right?  Knew he was done for once Whitney started closing the curtains.  Lol at Peggy injecting him with a cold virus.  She's too smart for words.

Now I'm really curious about what's happening to Wilkes.  Sounds like something is trying to turn him to the dark side when he's sleeping?

Drugged Jarvis is adorable.

• Love 1

And it was nicely contrasted with Whitney/Agne's choices.   Whitney regrettably chose, the path that had been brow beaten into her, about how she only had one way to get ahead in the world.   With an unfortunate twist of fate, Peggy could have been someone who's potential was squandered and never realized.    I was inspired by Peggy's tale but I was also quietly sad for Whitney's.

I wouldn't really say choice entered into it much, as far as Whitney was concerned, at least in respect of what we saw.  The bit with the movie ticket was meant to communicate that she was by that point in very poor financial shape; she pursued the only path open to her.  The big difference between her and Peggy wasn't a bad choice (though obviously Whitney subsequently became a villain despite becoming rich and successful, so that definitely counts as a bad choice), it was that Whitney had the doors slammed in her face whereas Peggy had people eager to help her open the door.

• Love 7

Really good episode and an especially strong one for Whitney.  She's turning out to be a very good villain.

A nice look at Peggy's past too.  I can buy her having a fiancé before she met Steve...it was clear she was much more experienced in relationship than he was and had had some past.  I didn't expect a fiancé but that works as well.

I can buy too that her brother might have had a wartime bride.

• Love 2

I clearly watch too many British shows - when the flashbacks showed Peggy at Bletchley Park, my first thought was "I wonder if she knew Susan, Millie and their gang" and when she got the SOE tap - "I 'll bet Hilda Pierce picked her out".  I'll just quietly go back to my corner now.

I agree that there was far less action in this episode, but I think of it as moving some the pieces around for the next string of events.  The Aggie backstory showed some of her choices to get where she wanted to be and helped illuminate why she's doing some of the things that she's doing.

What still isn't working for me is the whole "cabal" - I can find the whole "secret society controls everything" scenario lame unless it's done carefully and I haven't seen that care here.  Granted, if they're working within the confines of the Marvel universe on this, then the storyline is a given, but I just wish home of it wasn't so heavy-handed.

• Love 4
I wouldn't really say choice entered into it much, as far as Whitney was concerned, at least in respect of what we saw.  The bit with the movie ticket was meant to communicate that she was by that point in very poor financial shape; she pursued the only path open to her.  The big difference between her and Peggy wasn't a bad choice (though obviously Whitney subsequently became a villain despite becoming rich and successful, so that definitely counts as a bad choice), it was that Whitney had the doors slammed in her face whereas Peggy had people eager to help her open the door.

I guess I can kind of agree with you about Whitney but didn't that movie theatre scene feel like a fateful choice scene?   I don't know what would have happened if she had told that guy "No Thanks" and went into the theatre, but it just felt like a"moment" to me.   It just made me want to say, "Whitney, No." and made me a little sad for her character.

I guess I can kind of agree with you about Whitney but didn't that movie theatre scene feel like a fateful choice scene?   I don't know what would have happened if she had told that guy "No Thanks" and went into the theatre, but it just felt like a"moment" to me.   It just made me want to say, "Whitney, No." and made me a little sad for her character.

To me it felt more like her realizing that there's only one avenue open to her.  Certainly a consequential moment, but it's not like there's an inevitable progression from actress/model to where she is now.  I'd say the most fateful choice is one we didn't see, which presumably came later.

• Love 1

I liked seeing the similarities between little Peggy and little Angus. They were both girls that wanted something more, then went with what society wanted of them. Their differences came when Peggy losing her brother made her decide to go after that something more without hiding. 

Speaking of her brother, if he died how did we get Sharon Carter? Unless Peggy has another younger brother? Or Michael had kids. 

I can't wait to see them meet now knowing who each other really is. Whitney will want to get rid of Peggy because Peggy will not underestimate her like the men do. 

Sousa was in Europe, they are really dropping hints that he could be Peggy's husband aren't they. I'm still hoping he's not. He's a nice guy and all and respects her, but Steve is a really hard act to follow. 

• Love 2

In a word this episode could be described as Jarvelous.

Congrats, you've won the Internet for the day! :)

"Beneath the koala's adorable veneer lies a vile temperament." Hee!

Nice to get a bit of backstory on Peggy. And Whitney too, for that matter. It certainly made her a lot more sympathetic.

I love this show!

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 6

Sousa was in Europe, they are really dropping hints that he could be Peggy's husband aren't they. I'm still hoping he's not. He's a nice guy and all and respects her, but Steve is a really hard act to follow. 

IA.  I don't get any romantic vibes between Sousa and Peggy.  They work fine as friends.

Despite that, I have a feeling he and Peggy are endgame.  

Nice to get both Peggy and Whitney's back-stories, even if there wasn't any real surprises.  Peggy spent her early life trying to live the way a woman was "suppose to", until her brother told her she could do better, died at war, and she decides to end her engagement and become a spy.  Meanwhile, Whitney had a horrible childhood were her mother basically claim that the only way to succeed was to be beautiful, and that help shape her to become who she is now.  Again, not surprising, but the comparisons and contrasts were nice.  Overall, I'm really digging Whitney as a villain.  The actress is spot-on in this role.

Always love it when Peggy and Jarvis team up, especially when it leads to wacky hijinks like Jarvis using a horrible cop accent and then getting tranquilized by his own dart.  Classic Jarvis!  But I did like Daniel finding out and going along with it after his initial "What the fuck, guys?!"  But he is good at basically being the "good cop" to Peggy's bad one, when the time call for it!

Too bad it is all for not, since Evil Agent Red Forman crashes the party and fucks them over.  Glad to see him and Peggy meet for the first time.  Kurtwood Smith and Hayley Atwell were great in that scene, but then again, I really can't think of anyone Hayley hasn't been great opposite of.  She really seems to work well with everyone on this show.

The ending was great if, for nothing else, watching Calvin freaking out and realizes that he is totally not in control and that Whitney is the one who truly has all the power.  I would especially hold off on any extramarital affairs, buddy.

Definitely seem to be planting seeds at Peggy/Daniel again, after that brief moment of him glaring at her getting close to Wilkes again.

Not the best episode, but tranquilized Jarvis is certainly one of the funniest moments yet.

• Love 2

That quibble aside, I loved the backstory flashbacks. Was floored that Peggy was engaged before Cap. It obviously wasn't meant to be though.

He may have just been MIA or presumed dead. It wouldn't have been uncommon for him to have been captured and then found once they started liberating Nazi POW camps.

Yeah I think that's part of why I'm not really feeling these two. Peggy's first love was epic., whoever she marries I feel like it needs to be at least as dramatic as that. Sousa is just okay and he's far from dramatic.

• Love 2

The writers added one throw-away line that cracked me up.

Whitney Frost, famous Hollywood actress is actually a super-genius who has designed a super-reactor (or something) far beyond what others have imagined. 

While Agent Carter and Jarvis are staking out Chadwick's campaign headquarters hoping to see Whitney, Jarvis is thumbing through a Hollywood gossip magazine and he comments that:

"Hedy Lamarr is divorcing husband number three.  Be still my heart!"

Hedy Lamarr was an actual Hollywood beauty and a big star in her day.  But remarkably, Hedy Lamarr was also a super-genius inventor.  She worked on something called Spread Spectrum Technology.  This was early work in wireless communication, and her invention made wartime codes unbreakable.  Much of her work (patented in 1941) did not get used until the 1960s and some of her inventions led directly to today's digital wireless communications.  Not bad for a pretty face.

Just a throw-away line for Jarvis, but surely no coincidence.

• Love 16

I have one minor nitpick. While there's no date on Whitney's earliest flashback, it must be around 1920, and that radio is at least 1930s. I'm only cognizant of this because I just watched an episode of Downton Abbey set in 1924 where they hired a giant radio with a Victrola-like speaker cone, and I was curious about radio history.

That aside, I enjoyed this. It was nice to see Peggy and Souza working together--a nice contrast with last season. However, when he gave Peggy and scientist-guy that sort of jealous look, I told my tv that he blew his chance. Although I do think they are still a possibility, and the confirmation that Souza served in Europe was certainly interesting. 

I don't know that I liked giving Peggy a prior fiancé. I guess I wasn't expecting such a demure version of her working at Bletchley Park. I figured she was already part of the SOE at Bletchley. I'm sure things happen rather quickly in wartime, but I expect she would be a well-established agent by 1942, if not earlier.

And I can hear about Jarvis' adventures with wild animals all day long. Can't trust that koala...or the flamingo.

• Love 4

I have one minor nitpick. While there's no date on Whitney's earliest flashback, it must be around 1920, and that radio is at least 1930s. I'm only cognizant of this because I just watched an episode of Downton Abbey set in 1924 where they hired a giant radio with a Victrola-like speaker cone, and I was curious about radio history.

I've been handwaving the 'bugs' they used last two episodes.  In fact, a voice transmitter of that era would have been the size of a small suitcase, with an antenna ten feet long or more.  And it would have to be connected to a high voltage power source of some sort, such as mains electricity, or a high voltage battery pack the size of a steamer trunk weighing a hundred pounds or so. 

• Love 4

Maybe Sharon is a niece by marriage?(... in this version?) I don't know how how she's related in the comics.

How would she have the "Carter" surname, unless Peggy married a man who was also surnamed Carter?

In the comics she was originally Peggy's younger sister (in 1965).  Now she's a niece (should have been grandniece, probably).

If Sousa was at Bastonge, I'm going to pretend he was part of the 101st Airborne. Cause they were badasses and I love Band of Brothers.

I literally jumped off the seat when I heard Bastogne. BoB is one of my favorite tv show and I thought "Well of course Daniel was one of them". He is just that cool. He and Peggy have a wonderful relationship.

Very good episode. Loved to see the flashbacks, especially Whitney Frost's one. She is going to be a compelling villain. Loved that Peggy's brother wasn't the ordinary brother who tells his sister she can't do anything. Quite the feminist! I am a bit disappointed that the fiancè was such a douchebag, I thought Peggy would have choose better, but then she did make the right decision.

Edited by Anthea
  • Love 5

Another amazing episode. When they confirmed Sousa had been injured in Europe, and then when he looked at Peggy & Wilkes with jealousy, my peggysous lovin' self was on the verge of jumping around on the couch like a deeply closeted scientologist.

I think the two best scenes do me where in the flashback to Peggy's boss telling he about the SOE appointment and encouraging her to take it, and then in the present Kurtwood Smith threatening Peggy while also showing that he knows how formidable she is. Excellent guest and recurring casting on this show all around!

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 4

I think I'm going to like the showdown between Peggy and Whitney. Whitney the super genius as already shown respect for Peggy when she immediately asked what the thug told her. Her husband was just berating him while she knew Peggy did what men failed to do, she got him to talk. 

Peggy being engaged before was interesting as well Peggy originally following the women of her time instead of always being the badass we knew her as. I think that makes her more interesting that she did try to be the typical girl. None of her current co-workers would ever believe that the Peggy they know followed the path of least resistance. 

I love this show. 

• Love 1

I literally jumped off the seat when I heard Bastogne. BoB is one of my favorite tv show and I thought "Well of course Daniel was one of them". He is just that cool. He and Peggy have a wonderful relationship.

It was the biggest battle in American history. Thinking about it now I can wish he was in my regiment the 37th Tank, which spearheaded the relief force. I was surprised at Mr Hunt throwing out that you guys in Europe fought the civilized war (at least on the western front not the one between the Soviets and Nazis) while I was a prisoner of the Japanese. Seeing as they were both probably Army, since Hunt was in the Philippines, I wonder how much post war ribbing went on between the veterans from different war theatres. Was it like the gentle intersevice rivalries today?

• Love 4

I liked the backstories of Peggy and Whitney and how much the two of them are alike. I think the point of Peggy's brother was to show that Peggy had people to encourage her to follow her dreams and not get lost in what others wanted of her while Whiney had the opposite.

I kept wondering about the radio too.  For some reason, I thought radio technology came a little later in the decade.  I don't know about people having radios like that in 1920 at least.

There was also Not Red Foreman's reference to The Hollywood Ten, which happened in late-1947.  I think they were a few months early on that one.

I've been handwaving the 'bugs' they used last two episodes.  In fact, a voice transmitter of that era would have been the size of a small suitcase, with an antenna ten feet long or more.  And it would have to be connected to a high voltage power source of some sort, such as mains electricity, or a high voltage battery pack the size of a steamer trunk weighing a hundred pounds or so. 

I know and the other night as I was watching J.Lo strip to prove she wasn't bugged with a brick taped to her back wondering if she was caught in some kind of time loop. In this, Agent Carter case I never know where to set the appropriate tech level while watchin as they are swinging back and forth as they are with racial relations issues in the US of 1947

Wait a damn minute...if Peggy's brother was killed in action, then who the hell was Sharon Carter's father?!

They never said Michael died. Him being MIA or captured would be scary enough to the mother for her to have a reaction like that. When we next see Peggy, she is wearing grey, not black.

IMO, I think that Peggy would be even more likely to accept the offer to be a spy if her brother were MIA/captured. It would give her a chance to work to save him.

And it was nicely contrasted with Whitney/Agne's choices.   Whitney regrettably chose, the path that had been brow beaten into her, about how she only had one way to get ahead in the world.   With an unfortunate twist of fate, Peggy could have been someone who's potential was squandered and never realized.

I'm going to give Agnes a lot of credit. Although she was dealt a terrible hand and never got any encouragement, her potential was not wasted. She just found a round-about way to utilize it. I'm quite certain she ended up with Cal because his company gave her an avenue to use her skills. She was still patenting her genius inventions and they are what made Isodyne a success. She might not have used all of her potential, but she did what she could.

What her experiences gave her though was bitterness and a feeling of powerlessness, so that is why she ended up being on the villain path. Once she got the power to disintegrate people, she's going full on evil.

I can't believe that Peggy spilling so many secrets to Red in an attempt to get him on their side. How did she not understand from his busting up the raid and starting an audit that he was on the other side? Did she think that the audit just came at an inconvenient time? Sure, she didn't give him Hunt's name (although, I'm sure they would have eventually figured that out when he went missing), but she definitely let Red know what they knew. She should have lied her way out of it. If stopping the raid wasn't enough of a clue, Red fairly radiates "bad dude" vibes.

• Love 2

In regards to Michael being captured instead of killed, the family wouldn't have gotten a personal notification if there was a chance he was alive. A notification like we saw really means death. And even that was pushing it, as the common method for notifying families during WWII was a telegram, not an official visit. At least in the US CACO officers didn't really come into use until Vietnam.

• Love 1
In regards to Michael being captured instead of killed, the family wouldn't have gotten a personal notification if there was a chance he was alive. A notification like we saw really means death.

I'm going to fanwank that Peggy's family is connected (they seem on the wealthier side of things) and that is why they got a personal notification of his death. On this show, you aren't dead until we see the body. Just ask Wilkes.

I find it interesting that Agnes kept experimenting with those rats even though each time she did, her face got gnarlier. She is fully bought into that power no matter what it does to her physically.

While there's no date on Whitney's earliest flashback, it must be around 1920, and that radio is at least 1930s. I'm only cognizant of this because I just watched an episode of Downton Abbey set in 1924 where they hired a giant radio with a Victrola-like speaker cone, and I was curious about radio history.

While radio technology did advance quickly in that decade, by the end of it, radios still tended to be very expensive pieces of furniture. I'm willing to fanwank Agnes built it herself from spare parts. Wilkes is in awe of her genius and "Uncle Bud" seems kind of cheap.

Jarvis seems kind of underemployed to me. He is a great butler, but maybe Stark should appoint him to at least be the lab assistant. He seems to hold his own with the science. What could he do if he did that full-time? His intelligence is wasted chasing after crazed koalas.

• Love 3

I have mixed feelings about her brother and his death death being what spurred on Peggy to become the strong woman she became.  But I feel better knowing that the real Peggy existed from a very early age.  She had people in her life that recognized that.

• Love 2

It did look like Peggy's family was on the wealthier side. I could buy them getting personal notification because of that. 

I wondered why Agnes kept absorbing the rats, then I remembered she's a scientist, experimenting is what they do. She only had herself to do it on. She was probably trying to figure out what triggers it, what controls it and so on. She was also using her looks as a front, with this new power she no longer cares about them. 

• Love 3

Good moments last night. Pacing was ever so slightly slow, but not so much that it impaired enjoyment.

I'm glad that team SSR now know that there is big scary with regard to Whitney. I'm not sure what to make of Wilkes' blobbly visions- is the energy that Whitney's harnessing absorbing everything through her? Including Wilkes? Only connecting since her experiments seem to line up with his experiences.

Everything surrounding Hunt's abduction was magnificent.

I enjoyed the compare/contrast of Whit and Peg. I'd like to think that it wasn't just encouragement but a deep rooted lack of empathy that caused Whitney to manipulate based on her looks rather than rely on more wholesome (?) aspects of her character. Though Peg's mom chided her for horseplay, she didn't degrade Peg or tell Peg to stuff it in order for Mommy to get hers. Perhaps Aggie's Mom's actions could be rationalized, but I bet there are other examples of single moms within the era that didn't prostitute themselves in order to be comfortable. 

I am pretty sure they never before mentioned where Daniel served before. Only Thompson was confirmed as serving in the Pacific. 

Between this and Jessica Jones, Marvel seems to be on some kind of mission to take down all men who tell women to smile for them. For all the differences in the various Marvel works, they do tend to have similar themes. 

• Love 5