Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I unabashedly, un-ironically love "Take Me Home, Country Roads". And he held his own quite admirably against George Burns in Oh, God!.

I remember the absolute contempt he received from most critics at the time; for some reason time seems to have  changed things somewhat.

I have never liked the Who.  I'm not really sure why - it may have something to do with their lyrics which strike me as rather contrived - but I saw them along with the Stones in the film Rock and Roll Circus and the Who still did nothing for me, even in their prime.

• Love 1

John Denver's pure, clear tenor, like sunshine on my shoulders, makes me happy.

I was watching a 1991 concert of The Highwaymen (Cash, Kristofferson, Haggard, and Nelson), and I realized I have never liked Willie Nelson's singing.  His voice is too nasal and he always jumps the beat. 

(and after those two confessions/opinions, I'll have to go listen to some John Legend to get my black music street cred back.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Archery said:

(and after those two confessions/opinions, I'll have to go listen to some John Legend to get my black music street cred back.)

Now that's funny, because I can stand Willie Nelson's nasally voice much better than I can stand John Legend's voice.  He always sounds like he's croaking out songs.

I think Harry Chapin's "Cat's Cradle" is one of the most loathsome, repugnant songs ever written. In fact, I will actually go so far as to put on my tinfoil hat and state my belief that it's responsible for today's helicopter parents and their undisciplined, entitled brats. "Oh, heaven forbid I ever focus on work, put bread on the table, and not treat my precious little angels like the dead center of my friggin' universe! I need to be joined to them physically and spiritually 24/7, year-round, until the day I die, lest they grow up and write some whiny, angsty ballad about what a shitty parent I was!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 6/13/2016 at 7:42 PM, roseha said:

I remember the absolute contempt he received from most critics at the time; for some reason time seems to have  changed things somewhat.

I think the main criticism he got was from being included for consideration for country music awards, as many felt his music didn't qualify as country music (and considering that the quality of country music on mainstream radio stations has gone down shit creek in recent years--to the point where little of it sounds even REMOTELY country--maybe they were right to worry).

Speaking of which:

The women of country music are overall much better than the men these days. It's a shame that mainstream country radio refuses to acknowledge them (which makes this a UO at least as far as the latter is concerned).

Also, of the two women who came to country music from American Idol, I wish Kellie Pickler had a career along the lines of Carrie Underwood. She's actually become MORE traditional as time went on, as opposed to less. 

• Like 1

I think Bob Dylan sucks as a singer.

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion.  Bob is and has never been more than a mediocre singer at best.  His genius lies in his songwriting ability.

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:34 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Owl City is one guy.  Nine Inch Nails is one guy.  And it's The Weeknd.

So it's one guy who can't spell?

• Love 3
(edited)

Count me in on the unabashed Juice Newton love.  I play her greatest hits CD a fair bit, and while the usual suspects - Angel of the Morning, Break it to me Gently, The Sweetest Thing, Queen of Hearts, and It's a Heartache - are all reasons why, I have a particular fondness for I'm Gonna Be Strong.

I also still frequently play some of Anne Murray's hits.  I love Nobody Loves Me Like You Do and Now and Forever most, but Could I Have This Dance, I Just Fall in Love Again, You Needed Me, A Little Good News .. they're cheesy, no doubt, but I like them if I'm in the right mood.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I know it may be sacrilege but IMO, Mick Jagger always sings as though he's on the verge of throwing up so I don't get the appeal.

Oh, and when Bette Midler said [to him]she sang "Beast of Burden" better than  anyone   on her 'spoof' video, I TOTALLY agreed. She DID sing it like someone who'd just thrown off their yoke rather than as an entitled whiner ready to throw up over being called on asked to be monogamous.  I wish HER version had gotten wider release and was the one that's been endlessly played on 'classic' stations.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know it may be sacrilege but IMO, Mick Jagger always sings as though he's on the verge of throwing up so I don't get the appeal.

I agree with you in that Mick Jagger doesn't have a good singing voice.  At all.

I do like the Stones, though, mostly because of Charlie Watts (and I guess that's an unpopular opinion because the average person probably doesn't know who he is and thinks the Rolling Stones are a two man band of Jagger and Richard.) 

The Stones are just "meh" for me.  I like Barbara Streisand, but that's because I grew up with parents who loved her. While I'm not a fan of "Country Roads, Take Me Home", I do like John Denver and "Rocky Mountain High" makes me happy every time I hear it. 

(edited)

I am a huge Stones fan and know that it has always been more than Jagger and Richard. I admit that Jagger is not the best singer, but most rock singers are not good simply due to their voices.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I remember back in the day there would be discussions about Stones (bad boys) vs. Beatles (good boys); I was a Stones gal.  Still am.

I am also a Stones gal!

• Love 2
(edited)

I really enjoy alternative music, but I have passionately hated the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever since they reared their ugly heads.

Same goes for the Beastie Boys, Fall Out Boy and Panic At the Disco.  Any one of them will get me reaching for the mute button.

The problem is, program directors at alternative radio stations have all succumbed to the delusion that these bands are the very essence of alternative rather than the truth, which is that they are the Big Mac of alternative.   And play them in heavy rotation.    It's the same boring, lazy way classic rock stations subscribe to the fantasy that Aerosmith is the standard bearer for that genre.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, millennium said:

I really enjoy alternative music, but I have passionately hated the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever since they reared their ugly heads.

Same goes for the Beastie Boys, Fall Out Boy and Panic At the Disco.  Any one of them will get me reaching for the mute button.

The problem is, program directors at alternative radio stations have all succumbed to the delusion that these bands are the very essence of alternative rather than the truth, which is that they are the Big Mac of alternative.   And play them in heavy rotation.    It's the same boring, lazy way classic rock stations subscribe to the fantasy that Aerosmith is the standard bearer for that genre.

I cosign your whole post except for the Beastie Boys part.

• Love 2
(edited)

@millennium, You reminded me that I hate Dave Matthews Band so much so that at one point I became a pro at it. I don't necessarily understand the hoopla that surrounds John Mayer either. This is a UO of sorts, not me, but way more people like Hootie & the Blowfish and Nickelback than admit to it. Someone is/was buying all those cds. (And seriously, that is not a facetious "not me." I am part of the outspoken popular opinion of not liking either band.)

I have a soft spot for Mumford & Sons though.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 1

I

13 hours ago, Enigma X said:

@millennium, You reminded me that I hate Dave Matthews Band so much so that at one point I became a pro at it. I don't necessarily understand the hoopla that surrounds John Mayer either. This is a UO of sorts, not me, but way more people like Hootie & the Blowfish and Nickelback than admit to it. Someone is/was buying all those cds. (And seriously, that is not a facetious "not me." I am part of the outspoken popular opinion of not liking either band.)

I have a soft spot for Mumford & Sons though.

I think it's the same dubious mainstream sensibilities that have kept the Chili Peppers, Green Day, etc., and novelty acts like Mumford and Sons around way past their expiration dates.   These bands are marketed as "alternative" but they're Alternative In Name Only.   IMHO, they're mainstream fodder.   They pander to the masses the same way Katy Perry does and they're played in the same heavy, inescapable rotation -- on alternative, classic rock and top 40 stations.   I hate to complain, but how many times a day must I hear "Sabotage," you know?   Or "Suck My Kiss?"

1 minute ago, millennium said:

I

I think it's the same dubious mainstream sensibilities that have kept the Chili Peppers, Green Day, etc., and novelty acts like Mumford and Sons around way past their expiration dates.   These bands are marketed as "alternative" but they're Alternative In Name Only.   IMHO, they're mainstream fodder.   They pander to the masses the same way Katy Perry does and they're played in the same heavy, inescapable rotation -- on alternative, classic rock and top 40 stations.   I hate to complain, but how many times a day must I hear "Sabotage," you know?   Or "Suck My Kiss?"

Green Day has always sucked.

In my teens and 20s I, imo, mistakenly assumed that alternative was a set genre. In my 30s and now 40s, my unverified opinion is that it simply means any form of music liked by a certain age bracket that does not fall within mainstream pop. So, as much as I may dislike the Chili Peppers, Green Day, or you dislike Mumford and Sons, at some point they did qualify as alternative.

My UO now falls on naysayers of those who only want "rock" acts in the Rock and roll Hall of Fame. I will start by saying that I am not sure if I consider the RHOF a joke, but I do think that it was always meant to induct rock acts as well as other mainstream genres (including r&b, soul, rap, reggae, and hip hop acts) into it. I think "rock and roll" was meant to be taken as what I believe to be the earliest definition of the words ("rock and roll"). It grew out of early blues and countries and was applied to all genres of mainstream music we have within the U.S. (and many other countries today). I can't help but think that those acts that people get all hot and bothered about has a bit to do with most of them playing music marketed to a black audience. I am sure that many will feel very strongly that those acts should not be considered rock 'n roll and due to other reasons (shrugs). Those acts were always rock and roll, even if they are not rock acts.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I will start by saying that I am not sure if I consider the RHOF a joke,

I do.  It's not like the baseball HoF where you have proven stats to (mostly) back up inclusion, it seems more like a popularity contest to me and in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame reminds me of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.   It seems like everybody gets in sooner or later, deserving or not.    More about PR, marketing and tourist dollars than anything else.

But then, I'm a cynic.

• Love 1

Who does or doesn't get into the RHOF does not have any bearing on whose music I like. I just get really pissed off when people try to keep some people out due to questionable and/or ill-informed reasons is all I was saying.

I don't have a problem with excluding other genres of music.   And it's not about skin color.   I always liked The Cure, but I don't think they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.    There's a lot of disco I enjoy but I wouldn't expect to see the Bee Gees inducted either.  

If it were renamed The Music Hall of Fame, fine.   But otherwise, keep out.

I've always believed that genres should keep to themselves.   To this day, it irritates me  when I hear Bob or Ziggy Marley on my rock/alternative stations.   If I wanted to hear reggae (and I don't), I'd listen to some reggae station.  I feel the same way when I hear so-called alternative bands which are little more than white-boy rap (and we can thank the Beastie Boys for that).

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, millennium said:

I don't have a problem with excluding other genres of music.   And it's not about skin color.   I always liked The Cure, but I don't think they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.    There's a lot of disco I enjoy but I wouldn't expect to see the Bee Gees inducted either.  

If it were renamed The Music Hall of Fame, fine.   But otherwise, keep out.

I've always believed that genres should keep to themselves.   To this day, it irritates me  when I hear Bob or Ziggy Marley on my rock/alternative stations.   If I wanted to hear reggae (and I don't), I'd listen to some reggae station.  I feel the same way when I hear so-called alternative bands which are little more than white-boy rap (and we can thank the Beastie Boys for that).

I prefer blues rock (Led Zep [fave band ever], Cream, Rolling Stones) that some may simply call rock. I appreciate music from all genres though. But if those bands that I just mentioned and Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, and many more did not become influenced by and use black blues as their base, their would be no rock music. So keeping to themselves has long left the station, so to speak.

Anyway, I will agree to disagree. Music, of all genres will live on, regardless of my opinion and flourish--even the parts that I don't like.

• Love 2

It seems to me that if your style of music has its own awards show, then it can have its own hall of fame.  I'm not aware if blues, hip-hop, rap have their own awards show, so if not, and given there's at least some connection to rock, I can live with it being in the RHOF.  Now country music definitely has its own awards show, and even its own music hall that non-country acts can't play. so it should stay separate, even though there's a bit of a cross-over there too sometimes.  but if you are working for that 'country music' money, then you're stuck with that.

Why does Billboard have an awards show?  Seriously, you get an award for selling the most songs/albums/videos?  Don't you already get rewarded for that in terms of tons of money?

4 hours ago, millennium said:

Well, now, let's not blame The Beastie Boys for Eminem's existence. Might as well blame Rick James for writing Super Freak, as if he actually intended MC Hammer to rip it off. I mean, "sample it".

I really don't enjoy many Beatles songs either. I get the cultural impact thing but their music does nothing for me and if I never heard another Beatles song again I'd be quite alright. 

• Love 4
On 6/25/2016 at 9:31 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I dislike the Beatles. A lot. 

You wound me!  :-(  I'll get over it.  :-)  

As for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don't like a large portion of their songs, but they did a killer cover of "Higher Ground" and I dug "Give It Away".

On the other hand, if I never hear "Under The Bridge" again, I'd be ecstatic. It was so overplayed, I can't tolerate it at all anymore.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

You wound me!  :-(  I'll get over it.  :-)  

As for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don't like a large portion of their songs, but they did a killer cover of "Higher Ground" and I dug "Give It Away".

On the other hand, if I never hear "Under The Bridge" again, I'd be ecstatic. It was so overplayed, I can't tolerate it at all anymore.

I liked the "Higher Ground" cover and have it among my "120 Minutes" videotape recordings (yes, I was one of those music geeks who sat up late every Sunday night recording videos off MTV).    I thought "Rollercoaster of Love" was fun, too.

It's their own music I don't like.

• Love 1

. Also without Steve Perry Journey is NOT Journey. 

I've heard Journey perform recently without Steve Perry. The lead singer (Arnel Pineda) is this tiny tattooed Filipino dude that sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry. It's uncanny - like watching somebody lip syncing. But he sure can sing. 

10 minutes ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

Bobby Brown had jams! Bobby as a man is terribly flawed, but it doesn't diminish his contributions to music. 

A lot of that is due to Teddy Riley, the Puff Daddy before Puff. (Producer who couldn't help but to get involved with a lot of his projects. Guy, Wreckx-n-Effect, Blackstreet, etc.)

My UO is that singers/bands are classified into a genre, and get criticized when they venture out of their box, because the commenters need those boxes. But isn't exploring other genres inherent for any kind of artist? Isn't that how artists as diverse as Bowie, Lou Reed or Leonard Cohen kept changing our expectations? If Lady Gaga, Lana del Rey or Adam Lambert (three singers that I think have way more talent that they are given credit for, btw, and who I thing could each sing ANYTHING), or Britney Spears, Katy Perry or Nicky Minaj decided to revisit Johnny Cash, Klaus Nomi, or anyone not perceived as their "genres", I think it could be awesome. But then again radio stations would be confused, and unless we follow music online, we'd miss it, because more often than not, unusual style equals confusion equals no single equals no radio. Which is why I still love CDs/albums, the best tracks - for me - are usually the one I had never heard before.        

• Love 3
2 hours ago, NutMeg said:

or Britney Spears, Katy Perry or Nicky Minaj decided to revisit Johnny Cash, Klaus Nomi, or anyone not perceived as their "genres", I think it could be awesome.

Britney recorded "My Prerogative", a Bobby Brown song that's definitely out of her genre.It was not a success IMO.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2016 at 5:05 PM, Hanahope said:

It seems to me that if your style of music has its own awards show, then it can have its own hall of fame.  I'm not aware if blues, hip-hop, rap have their own awards show, so if not, and given there's at least some connection to rock, I can live with it being in the RHOF.  Now country music definitely has its own awards show, and even its own music hall that non-country acts can't play. so it should stay separate, even though there's a bit of a cross-over there too sometimes.  but if you are working for that 'country music' money, then you're stuck with that.

Why does Billboard have an awards show?  Seriously, you get an award for selling the most songs/albums/videos?  Don't you already get rewarded for that in terms of tons of money?

I understand what you're saying, but if you are going to record something of a certain genre, make sure you label it as said genre. That is the problem country music has had in recent years--there are people who record music claiming its country, when it clearly isn't. This was a huge problem for Taylor Swift before she finally crossed over with 1989--Red really wasn't a country album at all, but she claimed that it was.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2016 at 11:41 AM, NutMeg said:

If Lady Gaga, Lana del Rey or Adam Lambert (three singers that I think have way more talent that they are given credit for, btw, and who I thing could each sing ANYTHING), or Britney Spears, Katy Perry or Nicky Minaj decided to revisit Johnny Cash, Klaus Nomi, or anyone not perceived as their "genres", I think it could be awesome.

Classic case:  Dolly Parton + "Stairway to Heaven".  Sublime.

• Love 2
(edited)

The women of country music are overall much better than the men these days. It's a shame that mainstream country radio refuses to acknowledge them (which makes this a UO at least as far as the latter is concerned).

I think women in contemporary country music are more willing to take chances and do things differently, whereas most of the men are content to be arch-conservative, bro-y jerks who tend to sound exactly the same. I think that's why Garth Brooks has held up so well, he dared to be multi-faceted: he could be tender ("The Dance"), twangy and old-fashioned ("Callin' Baton Rouge"), ominous ("The Thunder Rolls"), and ironically jerky ("Friends in Low Places"). Yeah, there was that whole, weird "Chris Gaines" thing he did back in '99, but we won't hold that against him...

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2016 at 6:37 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

It's also why Christ Stapelton has been such a huge crossover hit.

It's a good thing Chris Stapleton has the sales, because apparently his radio play has been VERY weak (see also: Kacey Musgraves). 

Chris Stapleton is a deceptively good singer. I say deceptive because when you see him on stage, looking like a hillbilly Sabretooth, he looks like he doesn't do anything but grunt. But the dude has chops. He blew Justin Timberlake out of the water at the CMAs last year, and if you go listen to "Sometimes I Cry", it's clear he has stunning technique.

I think women in country have a hard time because, well, there are a lot of female country fans who like to see a dude in tight jeans, flannel shirt, baseball cap, and scruff. There are a lot of male country fans, too, but I think the thing with that is, contra to pop music, country music has a plethora of male stars who sing about dude shit. The few male pop stars out there only sing about clubs and ass, like, with the exception of Ed Sheeran and 1-2 others, maybe. If you want to see grown men making contemporary music, country is increasingly becoming the next best thing.

I came here to talk about Lost Boy by Ruth B. I'm mixed on it. The first and second time I heard it, I begged Siri to tell me who sang it. It's so different from anything out right now. I like the fact that it's a black female who doesn't feel the need to scream at me or shake her ass; we haven't had one of those in awhile. I love the theme of the song. It sounds like it could be the title track to a soundtrack for the next Peter Pan movie, or even some movie about some sad kid or something. It also reminds me the kind of song they would play over WB montages back in the day. I could easily see this played over a brooding montage on "Dawson's Creek".

I love that it's kind of a sad song. It might sound weird, but I miss the sadness in pop music. Everything's too hip and downtown and turned up. It seems like back in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was okay, or even cool, to be a little sad. Misunderstood. I don't even know that teenagers have that in our culture anymore...where it's okay to be confused and lonely and misunderstood. Our pain makes us real, as Andie McPhee famously said.

That being said, it's...not a revelation if you're aware of a format called Adult Contemporary. In fact, it's kind of a by-the-numbers, minor-key piano ballad. The kind of thing song you might hear during a high school dance recital. But still, it's different and refreshing and I go to a warm, safe, sad place in my mind whenever I hear it.

Demi Lovato is NOT a good singer. She is what I call a screamer. She has no control in her vocals and I won't be surprised if she loses her voice in a few years. Celine Dion is an amazing singer no matter what she does. The woman has amazing control and power which is very hard. While Ariana Grande's voice isn't super great(Mariah 2.0 with the whistle notes and whispering) her music is catchy. I've also always felt Gloria Estefan is an underrated singer. She has done pop, latin, jazz, classical, disco. She still sounds amazing today. Another underrated artist is Donna Summer. Up until the month she passed she was still killing it vocally. It's too bad that she came out during the disco era because it really minimized her abilities. 

• Love 4