Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

I have seen some posts about wanting this thread here in Music, so viola, here you go.

if there are any posts you would like for me to move here, please let me know.  Just give me the link of the post if you will, and I will move it here for you.

Also, if you have an idea for a catchier title, let me know.

Carry on ...

I don't get all the fuss about Adele.  I don't like her singing at all.  Plus, when she yells the chorus of "Hello," I can't stand it and I have the urge to gnaw on my left foot.

Justin Bieber was young and stupid but I like him now.  I think he'll get even better.

I don't know if these are UOs but:  

I thought The Wanted was a much, much better group than One Direction. 

Rihanna seems batshit crazy but in a nice way and I love her.

• Love 5

Let me preface this by saying that I don't listen to pop or top 40 music at all but when my friends started raving about Adele's "Hello," practically making it seem like some sort of life changing event, I decided to listen.  What maudlin, droning dreck.  I don't get it.

• Love 4

BSB was always and will always be scores better than NSync ever was.

I never minded Justin Bieber.  His song "Fall" is one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time.

I think the Rolling Stones were overrated.  I don't get it.

The Beatles started out as a boy band.  

I do not think Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Nevermind are worthy of the top 10 musical anything.  The Rolling Stones are just ok.  While I tout rock music from the 70s and 80s as my favorite, I have a lot of fun with disco and there are many pop songs I like, including ones from Justin Beiber, Arianna Grande, Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift. 

• Love 2

I do not think Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Nevermind are worthy of the top 10 musical anything.  The Rolling Stones are just ok. 

Nirvana was never my thing...I am just starting to be able to listen to their stuff when it comes on the radio and not instantly change the station.  I love Dave Grohl though and the Foo Fighters though.

I think the Rolling Stones are/were both overrated and underrated at the same time.

Tom Petty is headache-inducing.  The scratchy whine thing got old for me after Breakdown.  He's a guaranteed channel flip in the car for me.  So is anything by Heart, AC/DC, the Police, or anything Beatles-related, group or solo, except for George.  

I think Florence and the Machine's two new singles off of her latest album, Big Blue something or other, blow chunks compared No Light, No Light, Rabbit Heart, Drumming Song, or What the Water Gave me.  I was underwhelmed.  

I don't understand Beiber's fame, but, although I don't like Cyrus's  or Swift's music, I totally hear their talent. The Beatles were overrated. At the time of the Beatles and Stones hype, the Stones were underrated and the better band. After Cobain died, I talked myself into liking Nirvana (I was a teenager) but, after the formation of the Foo Fighters I realized that I thought Nirvana was ok but Foo is where it's at for me. Led Zeppelin was a blues rock band while Black Sabbath were the true originators of heavy metal. (Not a slight because I like both and Zep happen to be my favorite band ever.) I think Timberlake is just ok. Green Day sucks and always has. Progressive rock should have gotten the bad disco rep instead of disco in the early 80s. Phish is the worst!

Yes, but I was specifically talking about the voice.

Christine had the better voice, but Stevie wrote the better songs, though.

Yes, but I was specifically talking about the voice, not song writing.

I understand their place in music history, but it's time for radio stations to cut down on how many times they play Nirvana. Just over it. And my favorite Nirvana song is Marigold, written by Grohl.

I also can't stand Adele and I agree with Liam Gallagher when he said her music is for grannies. Not sure who is listening to her, buying all her records and making her a superstar. Just don't get it.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1

Because of vibeology's avatar:

I LOVE Paula Abdul. It's true that she doesn't have the best singing voice, but a lot of her songs really are real catchy, fun, late 80's/early 90's pop classics that I always enjoy listening to. And she always seemed like a very kind hearted person, too. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 8

Can I say that I didn't like Sam Smith as a person even before the Oscar dustup re his claim being the first openly gay winner?  His revelation that 'Stay With Me' had to do with his angst over a disinterested man not leaving his wife for him was rather infuriating to me on the grounds that I dislike folks who want to encourage others to discard those they'd vow to stay with forever without a backwards glance. I mean, if either in the song's lyrics or in the explanatory interviews he'd reached the conclusion that he'd been totally selfish to want to have a spouse dumped for him AND that he hadn't considered how it would have been for the  spouse had his intended lover dumped her and that he from that point on would only seek out those he believed were single(and interested) , that would have been one thing. But the WHOLE song was 'Woe is me! You don't love me back so you're totally selfish!' and I've never heard of him regretting going after someone he knew was disinterested and  with someone else (much less married).

I think Lady Gaga is waaaay overrated.  When she first came on the scene, I thought she was a novelty and I liked a couple of songs--Bad Romance comes to mind.  However, lately she seems to be taking herself much too seriously.   You're not that important, Gaga.  Plus, she's beginning to look like Dame Edna, sans glasses.

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't get all the fuss about Adele.  I don't like her singing at all.  Plus, when she yells the chorus of "Hello," I can't stand it and I have the urge to gnaw on my left foot.

Justin Bieber was young and stupid but I like him now.  I think he'll get even better.

I don't know if these are UOs but:  

I thought The Wanted was a much, much better group than One Direction. 

Rihanna seems batshit crazy but in a nice way and I love her.

I agree with everything you said--except Adele. I liked Hello after hearing it 100 times. But now that I've heard it 500 times, it's beginning to lose its luster. Or should I say I've heart it 1000 times?  Har-har. 

I hope Justin Bieber's self-destructive, non-music life settles down. I've always argued that he does indeed have talent. 

And Rihanna's song "Work," is crazy, but it fits perfectly with her personality and her West Indian heritage. With any other singer, I know I wouldn't like it as much. 

Edited by topanga

- Current music really does nothing for me. I'm only 30, but I feel like I've officially crossed over into that whole 'music was so much better in my day' curmudgeonly territory. Occasionally, a song will get my attention, but for the most part, I don't know or care who is ruling the charts.

- Hair Metal is my favorite genre ever. I've been watching Metal Mania on VH1 Classic, and it's awesome. Its not totally hair bands, but that's fine cause I like me some Metallica and Pantera sometimes too.

• Love 5

When I hear how innovative Lady Gaga is with her outfits and makeup and the like I mention that Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson of the B52's did it first, and did it much better.

She reminds me of the singer from Missing Persons a whole lot. It can't be a coincidence.

Any music that I can hear or feel when I am in my house and you drive by or I am parked next to you at a stoplight sucks balls.

That and any music you have on that fucking iphone you have screwed into your head while you plod mindlessly about and gradually get into my way while I am trying to live my life.

And how many assholes are going to sample Genius of Love?

My answer to "Which is the better band, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?" has always been The Who.

The always sounded better after the smashed guitar and Daltrey smashing himself in the nuts with a mic.

(edited)

I was surprised to hear it in a Target ad. I remember when that song came out, my black friends refused to believe Tom Tom Club was white.

Look up the song from the 'Stop Making Sense' video - that is a great cut.

That was filmed at the Pantages Theater in El Lay and in the lobby of the place they had a piece of cardboard where someone had written a lengthy disclaimer about going in to see the show and being part of a filming. After the show I took it and gave it to my friend, The opposite side was a poster for the play "The King and I" that was playing about that time. He took it and then his wife had it framed - in the process they trimmed the shit out of it and the last time I saw it, it had be put out in the garage because the wife didn't want it in her house. Had I known?

Edited by ElDosEquis

Look up the song from the 'Stop Making Sense' video - that is a great cut.

That was filmed at the Pantages Theater in El Lay and in the lobby of the place they had a piece of cardboard where someone had written a lengthy disclaimer about going in to see the show and being part of a filming. After the show I took it and gave it to my friend, The opposite side was a poster for the play "The King and I" that was playing about that time. He took it and then his wife had it framed - in the process they trimmed the shit out of it and the last time I saw it, it had be put out in the garage because the wife didn't want it in her house. Had I known?

Heh, to show you my age, I saw that in its original theatrical release.

• Love 1

Here's one for you...they installed a stoplight at the corner where my mom used to live and that would put the idiots with the 'bumping' stereos at the corner until the light turned green. She called those cars 'Ice Cream Trucks' because that was the only vehicle that played music and drove around....

Heh, to show you my age, I saw that in its original theatrical release.

It's not age, it's experience....

I don't like anything that the Who did after Tommy. Everything since has seemed dumb, boring, and repetitive to me. Don't like any of their solo work either, and for the same reasons.

This is supposedly an unpopular opinion if I believe what I read on the internet: I don't hate Nickelback. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're ok.

I don't like anything that the Who did after Tommy. Everything since has seemed dumb, boring, and repetitive to me. Don't like any of their solo work either, and for the same reasons.

This is supposedly an unpopular opinion if I believe what I read on the internet: I don't hate Nickelback. I'm not their biggest fan, but they're ok.

I saw them do a ZZ Top song on TV once and they seemed to be a pretty accomplished band, they weren't slouches...

I can't decide which is the bolder take. To the first, I can't agree. Personally, Who's Next is a top five album, not for the band, period. As for the other, I agree that Nickelback is not as bad as the amount of hate would warrant. They're just a mediocre band that made it big. They weren't the first, won't be the last.

• Love 2

I prefer Hagar to Roth as Van Halen's lead singer. He's got a better voice imo, and I also just think the songs are better for the most part.

I love Roth, but I also love Hagar and appreciate his time in the band. There were some great songs that came out of his era ("Love Walks In" and "Feels So Good" being two of my favorites).