Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Chat!

• Start Topic

So excited! Picking up the rental and going to the finale taping tomorrow. I know that I won't know the winner, but excited none the less! Frankly now that ChiChi is gone, I would be happy any way. The best part is that Katya and Trixie are hosting the pre show!

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been trolling the other boards and reading the posts from the people who went to the finale last night.  You guys want some early morning T on who won M.C.?

Cynthia Lee!!!  YAAAASSS!   Cucu won I am sooo friggin happy!  She won a golden version of the Rupaul statue given to each eliminated queen and $5,000 in cash/prizes.  Not sure if it's cash or a prize--details are fuzzy.

More spoilers to come as to what went down exactly.  A lot of stuff to sort thru...

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I've been trolling the other boards and reading the posts from the people who went to the finale last night.  You guys want some early morning T on who won M.C.?

Reveal hidden contents

Cynthia Lee!!!  YAAAASSS!   Cucu won I am sooo friggin happy!  She won a golden version of the Rupaul statue given to each eliminated queen and $5,000 in cash/prizes.  Not sure if it's cash or a prize--details are fuzzy.

More spoilers to come as to what went down exactly.  A lot of stuff to sort thru...

Aww, I'm happy for her, but I must admit, I was pulling for 

Spoiler

Chi Chi

to win MC.

• Love 2

Yeah it would have been nice for her to win M.C. but enh whatcha gonna do...

Pics from last night http://imgur.com/a/6kPIh

my favorite looks: BOB, Kim Chi, Dax!, and Acid Betty.  Disappointed in Naomi, Robbie Turner, and Derrick--all kinda blah IMO.  And somebody please tell me what the F is Thorgy wearing?!  Good lawd =(

36 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

Miss Tammie Brown is most improved. Milk did male drag. I still don't like Sharon Needles' new face.

Me neither!  Too much plastic surgery gurl!  Ha did ya see Bianca rockin' a bedazzeled turban?!  I kinda like it but IDK it just seems to old lady-ish for me *shrug*

I like Tati's new look too.  She is grown up fish now where as in S2 she seemed to be teen girl. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am only going to spoiler tag things that could be on the show.

Still recovering from a whirlwind of a day. Left Arizona at 8am and got to the theatre at 2pm. We had general admission seats so we had to get there early. The first people we saw on the street waiting were Morgan and Tatianna. Morgan was hilarious and took pics and talked to us at the front of the line. Tatianna did not acknowledge us at all and turned around and went inside. During this time, Alaska was in the middle of the line doing interviews and asking fans trivia questions. She also did a walk off with one of the fans in line. She was out mingling with the crowd for a good 45 minutes. We also saw and got hellos from Latrice, Kennedy, Alyssa, Stacy Lynn Matthews, Tempest as they walked past the line. Detox came over for a quick hello to the front of the line as well. Chi Chi's family were left outside until after the VIP line went in for some reason. 

The pre-show was Katya and Trixie. They were both so funny and play off each other well. Trixie was especially shady and did an awesome impression of Kim Chi. She also came at Acid Betty They then did intros of most of the queens in attendance and they did a runway walk before they were sent to their seats. Kennedy did a lip sync and danced and the crowd ate it up. This was followed by a performance from the Haus of Edwards with assists from Latrice, Jiggly and AB Soto. Cha Cha Bitch! After this we had to film reaction shots for various situations. Golf claps, laughing, roaring laughter, laughter that builds to applause on and on and on. Then they did the same thing with Michelle, Carson and Ross in the Judges box.

Spoiler

The show got off to a slow start because the queens on the floor, Tatianna especially refused to take their seats. Once this got started, they did a bit with the past winners and Ru, with a special appearance by the circus clown. Then after another break where they had to wrangle the queens back into their seats, they filmed the season 8 queen introductions. Loudest responses from where I was (first row Mezzanine) were Cynthia, Chi Chi and Kim.

Another stage reset and Ru filmed the intros to the finalist lip syncs. Then things started picking up time wise. Bob went first and was funny and a great dancer. This was the best performance in my opinion. Then Ru did the interview with Bob. There was a video from his mom and one from Carol Channing! It was awesome. Ru did have to do some retakes during this section.

Kim Chi went next and she looked gorgeous and her performance was better than I expected. The crowd went bananas! During the interview we learned that Kim's mom still does not know that she does drag. Kim got a video from Margaret Cho.  After the interview Ru hugged Kim. Ru did not hug Bob or Naomi...

Naomi's performance was good if predictable. Her interview was adorable and a bunch of her 11 siblings joined her on stage. Lena Headley from Game of Thrones sent Naomi a video  

Then it was time for the rest of the queens in small groups. I started looking at the clock at this point because we had to leave by midnight in order to get back to Phoenix in time for my daughter to get to school. (She is a senior and had a paper due today, poor thing). Nancy Grace taped a message in support of Betty. Lots of TMI talk about Derricks relationship. Thorgy played the violin. Between setups Ru got a little annoyed that's things were going to slow and had to remind the the crew that "we got our dicks behind our backs!"

Chi Chi got a solo interview and mom got a shout out up in the balcony. She also got a video message from Jennifer Holliday. The best part of this section for me was during the questions at the end, Trixie came at Betty again! not sure if they will use it on the show because they were talking over each other.

Then it was time for Miss Congeniality and as you know Cynthia won. Several people in the audience screamed for Chi Chi before the announcement though. The queens on the floor approved of the decision and Cynthia got a standing ovation. 

At this point it was after 11pm and we decided to leave. There is no way that they finished taping until well after midnight as they still had the crowning to do. We did see Kim in her final look. absolutely stunning.

It will be interesting to see how it all gets put together for broadcast. If I were to go again next year, I would definitely get VIP tickets early, and plan to stay over night as the taping lasted well over 5 hours not including the pre-show. I am going to take a nap, if I think of anything else I will post again later. 

Edited by pookymama
Add more details
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I like Tati's new look too.  She is grown up fish now where as in S2 she seemed to be teen girl. 

5 minutes ago, pookymama said:

The first people we saw on the street waiting were Morgan and Tatianna. Morgan was hilarious and took pics and talked to us at the front of the line. Tatianna did not acknowledge us at all and turned around and went inside.

Tati's drag may have improved, but it sounds like her attitude has not.

• Love 2

I am incredibly delighted about Miss Congeniality. Well deserved.

Regarding the winner... generally, I think it's decided way, way in advance. I never really believed social media "votes" counted for anything. Bianca won when she stepped into the workroom. Adore could get all of the votes and Bianca would still win. Violet won when she did the tartan reveal - Trixie and Katya have both mentioned that they realized very early on that the writing was already on the wall and they weren't being given the winner treatment, while Violet was. And even in earlier seasons, the entire cast of season 3 seemed pretty sure Raja was winning from the get-go. In recent years, the finalists have seemed very confident about who the winners were, aside from Alaska and Adore who seemed to think they had a sliver of a chance.

This season, I'm not quite sure, but I think that once again, the finalists probably do have a hunch about who the winner is, I'm just not sure who it is anymore.

Some winner speculation based on what we've seen/heard:

Spoiler

What if it's actually Kim?

I've been thinking for quite some time now that there's no way Bob can lose, but after hearing finale T from quite a few places I'm starting to think Kim might be the chosen one. She's the social media favorite by a huge margin (if it matters), everyone has said the crowd went crazy for her at the finale, and throughout the season Ru seems to have had a real soft spot for her. In the last episode, they mentioned how she is "the future of drag", which I think is telling - I think this show wants new, innovative takes on drag and as incredibly talented as she is, Bob isn't really breaking new ground.

And looking at the crowning looks - Kim. Looks. GORGEOUS. The other two girls are essentially wearing bridesmaid dresses. In previous seasons where the winners have been fairly obvious (Bianca, Violet) the runner-ups have been looking a tad less glamorous and eyecatching during the crowning, probably having a hunch that they're not winning. This season, I wonder if the sentiment among the finalists is that Kim is winning, and the other two decided to rein it in a little bit and let her have the attention - I do believe both Bob and Naomi would be the type to do that. Seriously - Kim's dress is not a runner-up dress. If nothing else, SHE thinks she has a shot at this.

I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I love Kim and we've never had a queen like her (we have had queens like Bob, if not as talented) but I'm really starting to think that Kim Chi might be or winner.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, editorgrrl said:

Tati's drag may have improved, but it sounds like her attitude has not.

Yeah totally bummed to hear about her attitude.  Not cool.  Awsome about Alaska though; she seems to have the most successful career after RPDR and I'm glad to see it hasn't gone to her head.

I would be happy with either 3 of them winning

but yeah I've heard from other contestants that it is obvious who will win from their season.  At first I thought BOB had this wrapped up but after the T I heard from Dragcon and just general such I think it might be Kim Chi as well.  I guess Naomi has solidified herself in 3rd place.

Edited by Dirtybubble

Just looked at the pics posted. I must say that Robbie looked much better live than in photos. Chi Chi's dress was nice standing but she had a hell of a time trying to sit like a lady in it due to the slit and it had zero stretch. Thorgy looked awesome, but it was a lot of look that may not play on TV. Cynthia's cucu will most likely be blurred in post production. The dress left zero to the imagination. Derrick looked like Britney and Naysha blended into Acid when they sat next to each other. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I have to say, much as I like her, 

Spoiler

I would be disappointed if Kim Chi is indeed the winner, just because I think she's weakest of the final three.  She is the best at creating a look, no doubt.  But the performance aspect I find to be very lacking, and I can't say I found her to have improved at all in that area over the course of the season.  And I truly believe that the winner should be a standout in both the look and performance aspects by the finale.  It's funny - if you asked me yesterday, I would've said I didn't care which of the final three won, because I like all three.  But reading the speculation that it's Kim Chi made my heart sink, and I realized I really am rooting for Bob to win.  And knowing that none of them (or Chi Chi!) are going to be on All Stars 2 bums me out even more.    

Edited by Princess Sparkle
forgot a period
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I have to say, much as I like her, 

Hide contents

I would be disappointed if Kim Chi is indeed the winner, just because I think she's weakest of the final three.  She is the best at creating a look, no doubt.  But the performance aspect I find to be very lacking, and I can't say I found her to have improved at all in that area over the course of the season.  And I truly believe that the winner should be a standout in both the look and performance aspects by the finale  It's funny - if you asked me yesterday, I would've said I didn't care which of the final three won, because I like all three.  But reading the speculation that it's Kim Chi made my heart sink, and I realized I really am rooting for Bob to win.  And knowing that none of them (or Chi Chi!) are going to be on All Stars 3 bums me out even more.    

Same.  For me it'll feel unearned.  

4 hours ago, pookymama said:

Just looked at the pics posted. I must say that Robbie looked much better live than in photos. Chi Chi's dress was nice standing but she had a hell of a time trying to sit like a lady in it due to the slit and it had zero stretch. Thorgy looked awesome, but it was a lot of look that may not play on TV. Cynthia's cucu will most likely be blurred in post production. The dress left zero to the imagination. Derrick looked like Britney and Naysha blended into Acid when they sat next to each other. 

I'll have to take your word on Thorgy looking better in person because holy cow it looks a hot mess in photos.  I guess it goes with her zany personality but IDK for a red carpet event should be wow not goofy

Thank you thank you thank you for the finale taping tea and for the pics! Cannot WAIT to finally see it. Much love to you both! :-) 

So many of our queens looked so good, nice to see so many of them again but where was my beloved Nina Flowers?!

Didn't Thorgy say once, or one of the otherqueens, that she doesn't like to shave her legs, maybe that's why she defaults to pants/tights? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Didn't Thorgy say once, or one of the otherqueens, that she doesn't like to shave her legs, maybe that's why she defaults to pants/tights? 

Yeah she did mention during the show that she doesn't shave her legs and that's cool but long dresses can hide hairy legs...just sayin'....

Crazily enough, Thorgy was in my dream last night! Which got me thinking that she wears a lot of short skirts and pants, and it's probably because she has legs for DAYS! I would have liked to see her in a stunning gown, however.

YIKES.  Bob has posted on Facebook thanking supporters and calling out Raven.  I unfollowed Raven long ago so have no idea what was said, but gathered that it was a swipe at Purse and some shade about Bob's win.  All quite expected from Raven.

4 minutes ago, SistaLadybug said:

YIKES.  Bob has posted on Facebook thanking supporters and calling out Raven.  I unfollowed Raven long ago so have no idea what was said, but gathered that it was a swipe at Purse and some shade about Bob's win.  All quite expected from Raven.

I thought Raven wasn't even on social media like that....Why would she make me choose sides by being mean to Bob?!

Raven is a weird one, because while she was a well rounded queen, she always stanned for looks queens. And I know she specifically gave Naomi her B/W outfit, so I'm going to assume she was Team Naomi. Which is weird because Everybody Knew Naomi wasn't winning.

Watching Ruvealed because I can't help myself. Kim Chi's "doughnut come for me" joke will always make me laugh, mainly because of how funny she seems to find it.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Rai said:

Watching Ruvealed because I can't help myself. Kim Chi's "doughnut come for me" joke will always make me laugh, mainly because of how funny she seems to find it.

So is the Ruveal worth watching?  Any good T spilt?  I have it saved on my DVR along with the original airing of S8....

They hacked it to bits to fit into an hour slot. The photo challenge was rushed, they chopped the de-dragging segment, along with the entirety of Ru's workroom walkthrough. Morgan McMichaels' bit was cut, but referred to in a little window. The runway was also rushed, and some of the judge's banter went as well. It's worth one watch I suppose, but after that, just watch the real episode.

Although I did notice some changes between my TWC on-demand episodes and the episodes as-aired. Bob had a line about a glass eye during Morgan's bit that was cut, and some of the judge banter has been cut. I also remember a discussion of Derrick's two boyfriends that I didn't see again (maybe a later episode,) but that might have been on Untucked. I like the more relaxed format of Untucked, but I really wish it was on the air still, and not online.

Untucked not being on air means thing like Acid Betty coming for Trixie and  Trixie calling her out at the finale all end up as online extras.  

I've always liked Trixie's personality, but the "did you or did you not come for me"  and the extended body lean was a turning point. She's top 5 material now.

• Love 2

Came across of clip of "Puppets Challenge" in Season 8! It was hilarious where real animus was put on display almost making me pass out for lack of oxygen I laughed so hard:

Naomi and Derrick Barry were going at it "tooth and nail!" ;-)