Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Chat!

• Start Topic

is there any word at all about when all stars 2/season 8 will happen? I'm having drag withdrawal!

No idea. We're almost a month beyond the date the S7 queens were announced (back in 2014), and after the shenanigans with the season 7 start date/CBBUK/whatever, I'm kind of meh. I'm not sure if they're trying to build suspense or just experiencing production fuckery, but it was annoying last year and is annoying this year.

• Love 2

so if the new line up for season 8 is being announced at the New Now Next Awards, how long after that do you think we have to wait for the actual season?  ... what the heck has Ru-Co. been doing for the last 9 months?  Gestating drag babies?

Yeah, RPDR used to begin before the end of January, now it will probably be close to March at the earliest, which really sucks.  All Stars 2 (already filmed) will probably start in the fall like it did with season 1. 

Edited by Glade

Team Acid Betty!  (Partied with her once.  She's so freakin' tall.)  However, Thorgy won some of my love by saying she'd love to lip sync to "Let's Talk Dirty to the Animals," which is indeed a criminally underrated song, and if Bob the Drag Queen doesn't win Miss Congeniality, there's no justice in the world.

Cynthia Lee Fontaine SEEMS nice, but if her two BFFs/mentors are Phi Phi and Alexis, then I'm waiting for some claws to come out.

Chi Chi DeVayne seems like early fodder.  Sorry, gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Love 2

Team Acid Betty!  (Partied with her once.  She's so freakin' tall.)  However, Thorgy won some of my love by saying she'd love to lip sync to "Let's Talk Dirty to the Animals," which is indeed a criminally underrated song, and if Bob the Drag Queen doesn't win Miss Congeniality, there's no justice in the world.

Cynthia Lee Fontaine SEEMS nice, but if her two BFFs/mentors are Phi Phi and Alexis, then I'm waiting for some claws to come out.

Chi Chi DeVayne seems like early fodder.  Sorry, gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Literally as soon as she mentioned Phi2 AND Alexis in the same breath I got a little queasy.  That's someone who's going to either have a chip on her shoulder the minute she walks in the door... OR... is going to swing so hard in the other direction that it will be too sickly sweet to deal with.

• Love 3

Acid Betty: Her last statement was something along the lines of "I want to show people that clowns can be drag queens as well", I think she meant as opposed to fishy.

But who does she think won S6?  >.>

Bob's getting some serious points from me for using words like 'dichotomy' and 'soliloquy' while still sounding totally casual.

"What emoji would you be?" Seriously? If the producers are getting this bored, they should move on. 

I got all the way to Naomi Smalls (video 9) before any of the queens actively irritated me. :)  Not sure why. 

Final edit (sorry, didn't really plan for this to be a liveblog):

These queens caught my attention in a good way:

Acid Betty (although still confused by clown comment above)

Bob

Dax

Thorgy

Derrick

I liked Chi Chi's look, but not sure how far she's going.

Kim Chi--not sure, I don't think I was as charmed as I was supposed to be.

Robbie seemed nice, but probably too nice.

Naomi was giving me "young queen who will turn out to have a shit attitude". Maybe I will be wrong.

Naysha--fodder. Sorry.

Laila--liked her, but maybe a little too laid back. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

I think I heard somewhere that Bob the Drag Queen was good buds with Bianca--as in performed with him or something.  But there seems to be quite a few queens from the NYC area so *shrug* I guess a lot of them know queen B.

I long ago learned my lesson on picking early favs; I am terrible at first impressions and almost always get it wrong (ones that will be great or go far, etc. etc.)  I don't pick a fav until the 3rd or 4th episode...if then. 

I wonder what is meant by "going back to our roots"  Is that the theme for S8?  Any word if the same judges are gonna be there? 

• Love 2

Acid Betty: Her last statement was something along the lines of "I want to show people that clowns can be drag queens as well", I think she meant as opposed to fishy.

But who does she think won S6? >.>

I also wondered who Cynthia thought won Season Six when she said she wanted to be the first Hispanic winner.

Bob was the only one who really stood out to me in a big way. She seemed very clever and funny. But at least when casting this season it appears they learned a lesson from last season that "Cast young, pretty queens who look hot out of drag to bring in a younger audience" is a great way to create a boring season.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 2

Yeah, it's rare that one of these videos actually makes me cackle, but I had to keep pausing Bob's video so that my howling wouldn't make her next comments inaudible.

Turns out a friend of mine is friends with Dax, but I don't know, she didn't quite set me on fire.  Maybe it's because I come from a nerd background myself and tend to find my fellow nerds a little too socially oblivious and take their fandoms a little too seriously.  Thorgy's competitive vibe may be questionable, but there's something refreshing about a queen who sees drag as something fun to along with the fabulous.  Although Bob makes that sense of fun way more effortless.

Regarding Acid Betty's clown remark -- for all Bianca has mocked herself for being a glam clown, her outfits were never particularly theatrical or colorful, outside of her comedy queens look.  She tended to go for a low-key (for a drag queen) mature glam and let the make-up be the most outrageous part of her style.  Acid Betty is much more club kid and punk and genderfuck, so she's playing up the colors and outrageously goofy proportions of clothes, which is in keeping with clowns. 

Funny thing -- I remember her on Project Runway a million years ago, and some of the queens then said Acid Betty wasn't really a drag queen, she's a hybrid performer because she didn't always go with the feminine looks and realness.  Drag's come a long way since then.  Or at least the conversation has.

Edited by Rai
  • Love 2

Bob TheDragQueen's video knocked me out! Loved every bit of it. Acid Betty I remember from... God, was it season 6 of Project Runway when they had the designers do outfits for Queens? Chris March brought in a literal parade and I remember Acid Betty particularly. So I'm actually quite happy to see her.

Dax Exclamationpoint... look, anyone who just comes out with "Storm" as her fashion icon has officially got my attention. And that cosplay they showed I recall from last year. It was AMAZING. So I'm very interested in the #Queenofallnerds going on there.

Kim Chi has got some painting game and I want to know more. I've seen her work. Chad Sell has done artwork of her before as well as interviews and I've enjoyed it all.

Thorgy Thor! Norwegians represent! My Scandinavian bloodline will be rooting for her... plus, she just seems so cool and fun!

• Love 2

Kim Chi has got some painting game and I want to know more. I've seen her work. Chad Sell has done artwork of her before as well as interviews and I've enjoyed it all.

Kim is a favorite of the younger social media fans, both because she's Trixie Mattel's BFF and because she frequently delivers what they consider sickening looks. I've seen her elsewhere (including Cooking With Drag Queens) and the personality does not match the look. I've ranted elsewhere more than once about Instagram turning drag into a purely visual art form, especially for fans with limited or no access to live performances due to age and/or location - and she kind of personifies that shift. I'll stick to the likes of Bob and Thorgy. Both are brilliant performers who deliver more than just laughs and great eye shadow.

Bob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L00sx82Nw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaekaFzDACo

• Love 2

Trailer for season 8.

Amy Sedaris is a guest judge?! She's on my list of "Why haven't they been on Drag Race yet?" people.

And some queen roller skates right off the runway?! It could just be a well-cut trailer, but it definitely looks like they learned some lessons and this season will be miles better than last season.

• Love 1

The trailer and an Instagram post (that seems to have been taken down) have inadvertently revealed the theme of a challenge and five contestants who are part of it. I'd say it's almost definitely top 7, incredibly unlikely to be earlier, but potentially as late as top 5.

All credit goes to the detectives at Reddit. 

Basically, major spoilers below, read at your own risk.

Challenge:

The cast of Little Women: LA appears and get Wizard of Oz-themed makeovers. One of the cast members posted a photo of four of them in their makeovers, and it was quite clear based on their looks which queen they had been paired with. A fifth was shown in the trailer. At the time of filming, the show had seven cast members, so we might still be missing two.

Contestants:

Kim Chi, Derrick Barry, Bob the Drag Queen, Thorgy Thor, Naomi Smalls.

Some challenge results:

Kim survives as the trailer shows her standing safe in the back. Derrick might be in trouble as he's still on the main stage, crying.

Edited by Xazeal

Logo will be showing every episode in the run up to S8, starting Thursday, March 3.

http://www.newnownext.com/logo-is-airing-every-single-episode-of-rupauls-drag-race-ever/02/2016/?xrs=synd_facebook_logo

This news is what finally pushed me to call Comcast and see about getting a recorder from them. As it works out, without entering into a contract somehow I will pay $10 less a month than I do for my current cable by adding a recorder. And I can watch all this at my leisure.

Do we know if they'll run Drag U as well?

• Love 1

Kim is a favorite of the younger social media fans, both because she's Trixie Mattel's BFF and because she frequently delivers what they consider sickening looks. I've seen her elsewhere (including Cooking With Drag Queens) and the personality does not match the look. I've ranted elsewhere more than once about Instagram turning drag into a purely visual art form, especially for fans with limited or no access to live performances due to age and/or location - and she kind of personifies that shift. I'll stick to the likes of Bob and Thorgy. Both are brilliant performers who deliver more than just laughs and great eye shadow.

Bob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L00sx82Nw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaekaFzDACo

That first youtube clip is priceless.  Do you happen to know what the telephone bit is from?  I feel like I'm missing an important pop culture reference!

Edited by zulualpha

That first youtube clip is priceless.  Do you happen to know what the telephone bit is from?  I feel like I'm missing an important pop culture reference!

It's from the movie Sisters with Margot Kidder from 1973. Creepy and campy!

• Love 1

Here's a fun little video.  "Who's The Horniest" Season Eight Queen.  Hint:  She went "right past thirsty and straight to dehydrated".

Going through those other premiere videos I notice Derrick seems really, really bitter. Like Phi Phi levels bitter. Especially towards Bob. Which makes me guess that he's a late game elimination, possible the last before the finale, possible to a lip sync with Bob. But it definitely seems to say that his bitter and unpleasant behavior in Untucked will not be a fluke this season.

Going through those other premiere videos I notice Derrick seems really, really bitter. Like Phi Phi levels bitter. Especially towards Bob. Which makes me guess that he's a late game elimination, possible the last before the finale, possible to a lip sync with Bob. But it definitely seems to say that his bitter and unpleasant behavior in Untucked will not be a fluke this season.

This doesn't make me feel any goodwill towards Derrick since all the coverage I've heard about Bob is that she's one of the nicest people. She extremely popular among the NYC queens and had a great reputation in the drag community at large.

My views so far:

Love:  Bob the Drag Queen

Thorny

ChiChi

BTDQ

Cynthia

Naomi's legs

Kim Chi

Did I mention Bob?  Seriously, last time I loved a queen this much from the first minute she ended up puking off the stage and getting kicked out.  Bob better win.

Unsure:

Acid Betty - I think I could learn to like her.  She's definitely bitchy, but had a couple of nice moments that make me think it could be ok.

Robbie Turner - hated episode 1, didn't mind so much episode 2, might be ok/funny

Ugh:

Britney.  Forgot about her. Not a good sign.

For the phone call, I kind of hope it's a bluff and Ru brings back a winner to read them and then they go home and don't actually rejoin the competition.  If she does bring back a queen from previous seasons, I hope it's nobody I like because if she makes me choose between say Katya and Bob, I'm gonna be mad.  It makes zero sense to me for her to take Naysha back, bitch didn't even know the words to the song.

The DragCast podcast has a nice interview with Thorgy Thor this week.  

Say whaa??  Awsome =)  Any T spilled?  Can you post the link?  My old self has trouble navigating thru the internet to find podcasts.  Thanks.

(edited)

I can't see a spoiler thread so I'll put this here in spoiler tags: 

Spoiler

Spotted by my other half today in Glasgow - does this mean Naomi wins??

Spoiler

Drag Race.JPG

Edited by topgams