Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E08: Homeward Bound / S17.E09: Real World Problems

Is it Lewis or Luis? Jen called him Lewis. 

Gah, my stream isn't great this week, I might miss a lot. Why on earth did the Red team take on so much weight?

I don't think Jen is a very good strategizer.

Edited by newyawk

Just when I was starting to like those twins after the trip home, Roberto (Luis?) screws up and shows off his asshole side. And Luis (Roberto?) joins him. Good on Erin for speaking up, and good on Felicia also. You're an educator, Roberto (Luis?), LEARN TO SPELL.

Stephen looks good. Colby is becoming Mayor of Doucheville.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3

Crying Jen really annoys me.

I am glad Felicia got to go parasailing, it is really an amazing thing to do. I did that in Hawaii years ago.

Erin really surprised me! And Luis got skinny!

• Love 1

Maybe it's because I tend to play on my phone while I watch, but I looked up tonight and thought, "who the hell is Stephen?".

He he - I thought that for about the first 4 weeks - every time he went to weigh in, and then he would take off his shirt and I'd recognize his weird chest hair :)

• Love 1

Anyone else suspect producer involvement with sending the twins home to complete against each other? TWIN vs. TWIN! Oh, the drama! :-)

I get that Luis thought he won at first, but I kind of wonder if he really still thought he should have won. Roberto's comment of "weakest contestant" and Erin concluding it was due to Felicia being female made me wonder if their has been some edited out drama. Male vs. Female seemed to come out of no where.

Stephen was the one male to vote off Luis, right? It seemed odd that the other males were making it all about his vote. If he did not vote for Luis, it most likely would have been a tie, and Luis still would have gone home. Maybe they thought his vote would indicate Jacky's vote, but I think she would have voted against Luis anyway.

Too much Bob.

• Love 1

Hmmm... I admit to falling asleep within the first twenty minutes of watching. Blame it on my blood pressure med, sleep apnea, and not feeling well. I guess I did not miss too much. I probably will watch it later on the nbc website (yes, I am a gluten for punishment.)

Jen apparently has no idea about strategy for TBL.  Her team's best course of action is to ignore whatever she suggests.

I didn't see why it was all on Stephen either - a tie (Jacky sticks with the women) and Luis is going home anyway.  In fact, I think that's how Stephen and Jacky should have played it.  It would make the two of them look like less of a sure-thing voting bloc.  Of course, Jen probably suggested to Stephen he should vote with his wife.

There was very clearly some intent to create a boys versus girls thing.  Not just the challenge but also the first day's workout was all boys (plus Erin, who said it felt weird to leave the girls), they went out drinking divided by gender and Bob smoothly noticed the gender divide as well when it was time to vote.  Strange, because that hasn't been a theme all season until tonight.

• Love 3

I wonder if the drop in responses here is in any way indicative of  a fluctuation in the audience numbers at large.

I would guess it is. I have watched most seasons, and I find this season hard to watch. I am only watching because I know someone who knows Jacky and her husband.  It is too much Bob for me--or rather Bob in too many roles.  Host, occasional trainer, cheerleader.....   And I am getting tired of the team thing. Let the trainers alternate training the groups and  go to the red line instead of voting people off.  Or only vote people off for the last two episodes.  I just listen to this show while I do other things.  Except for Jacky and Stephen I haven't bothered to learn any names.

I wonder if the drop in responses here is in any way indicative of  a fluctuation in the audience numbers at large.

I would guess it is. I have watched most seasons, and I find this season hard to watch. I am only watching because I know someone who knows Jacky and her husband.  It is too much Bob for me--or rather Bob in too many roles.  Host, occasional trainer, cheerleader.....   And I am getting tired of the team thing. Let the trainers alternate training the groups and  go to the red line instead of voting people off.  Or only vote people off for the last two episodes.  I just listen to this show while I do other things.  Except for Jacky and Stephen I haven't bothered to learn any names.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 1

I've lost my NBC (& Fox) affiliate due to stupid freaking Cox so I watched half of the episode online before I was asked to verify my provider & then kicked off. Grrr! Cutting the cord may be in my future. From what I did see I'm convinced that TBL is determined to become Survivor-lite in challenges. Unfortunately Jen sucks at the mental side of them. They better not throw in coach puzzle challenges or she'll be doomed. I don't remember challenges being so annoying before.

The twins talking about how that could only have a carrot at their welcome home party is one my biggest complaints about TBL. There is an ability to have a moderate amount of something you love. The never or banned mentality definitely sets up binge possibilities. Can't they teach real life alternatives & show the audience as well? Grrr again.

I still can't identify most of these folks. I take it one of the twins went home. It doesn't really matter which one because I wouldn't know anyway. In my opinion there was too much twin focus. Of course I missed the second half so that's probably why it seemed so twin heavy.

As every episode this season... Too. Much. Bob. Although I did enjoy giggling at his capri-esque joggers when at the gym with the twins. (And p.s. if that was a high school gym it was quite nice.)

• Love 3

I wonder if the drop in responses here is in any way indicative of a fluctuation in the audience numbers at large.

Probably, although I don't know what the ratings are. Big, big ratings mistake imho to make Bob the host (I admit I didn't like him even as a trainer, so making him host? Ugh), no matter how much people might like him. Making him host didn't bring in any more viewers as the people who like him already had him on the screen, while dropping Allison lost the people who watched the show mostly because they liked her, and not replacing her with someone new lost the potential for new viewers who would have watched it because they liked the replacement. Bringing Jillian back as host would have been a better move if that were even possible, but promoting Bob to host was stupid. And getting rid of the third trainer (who presumably had brought in some viewers) and not getting a new trainer (who would presumably have brought in some new viewers)were also stupid moves.

The contestants aren't especially outstanding this season either imo--Hatch and Erin have some camera experience so were/are more fun to watch but the rest of them are pretty bland. So this group of comtestants is probably not bringing many people in. And don't even get me started on the unengaging "theme" strategy.

I wonder if BL will be around for another season.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2

I was also thinking that the gym was really nice for a high school.  It seemed unfair to have individuals after the twins had to shoulder their teams.  They needed big losses which means they most likely would have small losses the next week. 

I've wanted Felicia off the show for awhile now.  I wished they didn't have the red line when she was second to the last one.  It happened twice when both Richard and Rob were at the bottom.  That means she could have left if the team wanted either Richard or Rob to stay.  She's a big whiner so I would vote her off.  I wasn't happy when she received immunity either.

• Love 1

I was also thinking that the gym was really nice for a high school.  It seemed unfair to have individuals after the twins had to shoulder their teams.  They needed big losses which means they most likely would have small losses the next week. 

The timing of when to go to singles was predetermined before the season started.  They had no way of knowing the twins would still be on the show let alone the ones to be sent home the previous week.  And Roberto managed to have a decent week so it's not like it was guaranteed one of them would go home.

The only contestant I can stand was sent home. Rob looks great. The twins think they are fitness experts because they were on the ranch for eight weeks. *snort*  Does watching the show make the viewer an expert also. Maybe we should all get together and start our own fitness exercise chain.

The only contestant I can stand was sent home. Rob looks great. The twins think they are fitness experts because they were on the ranch for eight weeks. *snort*  Does watching the show make the viewer an expert also. Maybe we should all get together and start our own fitness exercise chain.

I thought the presumption had at least a little to do with being a PE teacher. Many of those are totally untrained, but some DO have degrees. 

• Love 2

Re: this show, and other shows I watch, I wonder how many people watch shows they no longer care much about, just be able to come and talk about them.

Sometimes, this is more fun than the show, though some shows I just quit anyway.

I was reminded a bit of "pride on 3" when the boys got together.

The thought of makeover isn't very exciting either.

• Love 3

To be fair, a lot of contestants on TBL come to think that they are fitness/training experts and/or motivational speakers.  They're not, but the twins are hardly the first to confuse "I lost a lot of weight in a really short time in an unhealthy way" with "I'm an expert on fitness."

• Love 3

I'm not sure I can watch this show anymore. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is completely unlikeable to me.

Roberto/Luis/Whoever's comment of, "I have a wife! I have a mother!!" is the first cry of misogynists after being called out. And it was a jerk-face thing to say.  

• Love 3

One of my favorite things about pozole is that you top it with onion, cilantro, cabbage, radish etc.  Why not have a small bowl with lots of toppings?  Then again, I didn't see any of the awesome pozole toppings on that table of crap.  The producers probably made them put it away for filming so the table looked worse that it really was....

• Love 2

I missed what happened with Roberto/Luis' mother wife comment.. What happened? TIA. 

The pozole looked good. IDK why they couldn't have a little.

One of them was beaten by a woman to get "Immunity." When she won, there was DRAMA! and things were said. When whoever was asked to be more respectful of women, he offered, "I respect women! I have a wife! I have a mother!!" or some nonsense like that.

• Love 3

The timing of when to go to singles was predetermined before the season started.  They had no way of knowing the twins would still be on the show let alone the ones to be sent home the previous week.  And Roberto managed to have a decent week so it's not like it was guaranteed one of them would go home.

My point was not about the twins but about the setup.  I really don't care about any of the contestants.  Most of the contestants would have tried to work extra hard if their team depended on their weight loss.  So they would most likely have a big loss that week.  That means that they might have a smaller loss the next week.  That's the whole reason why Comeback Canyon was so unsuccessful last season.  The pattern of weight loss was mostly predictable.  So it's unfair that the following week was singles week for the two people that went home. 

But I don't think the producers care about fairness.  They want drama and they probably did tell Jen to pick the two brothers against each other. 

• Love 1

My point was not about the twins but about the setup.  I really don't care about any of the contestants.  Most of the contestants would have tried to work extra hard if their team depended on their weight loss.  So they would most likely have a big loss that week.  That means that they might have a smaller loss the next week.  That's the whole reason why Comeback Canyon was so unsuccessful last season.  The pattern of weight loss was mostly predictable.  So it's unfair that the following week was singles week for the two people that went home. 

But I don't think the producers care about fairness.  They want drama and they probably did tell Jen to pick the two brothers against each other. 

Roberto had a good week the following week, so it's not a foregone conclusion that the people who did the at-home workout for a week would be the first to go home the following week.

I agree that fairness isn't an overriding concern for the producers.  But I think pitting twins against each other is something Jen could have thought up on her own...

• Love 1

One of my favorite things about pozole is that you top it with onion, cilantro, cabbage, radish etc.  Why not have a small bowl with lots of toppings?  Then again, I didn't see any of the awesome pozole toppings on that table of crap.  The producers probably made them put it away for filming so the table looked worse that it really was....

Exactly! I wondered where the raw veg toppings were too.

I agree that fairness isn't an overriding concern for the producers.  But I think pitting twins against each other is something Jen could have thought up on her own...

You HAVE seen the show (and the work) of JD Roth before though, haven't you?  This has that slimy fucker written all over it. This is what this show does, and Jen is new enough to not have the backbone yet to do anything but whatever she's told to over whatever earpiece she's wearing.

Is it POSSIBLE it was Jen's idea? Sure. But its so in tune with what the producers have always done, and so advantageous to the show rather than to the team, that it seems more likely the idea was put in her head (or in an earpiece literally inserted into her head). 

• Love 2

I'm just not convinced that Jen is the brightest trainer on the set.  I'm not dismissing the idea of the producers telling her to pick the twins, I think she was already thinking that before they approached her.  Because of course the twins competing head to head was their goal.  But it's even easier to convince someone who already wants to do what you're going to ask them to do.

• Love 1

I'm just not convinced that Jen is the brightest trainer on the set.  I'm not dismissing the idea of the producers telling her to pick the twins, I think she was already thinking that before they approached her.  Because of course the twins competing head to head was their goal.  But it's even easier to convince someone who already wants to do what you're going to ask them to do.

Your logic seems reversed though, on the supposition that she's not that bright. I mean I'd argue that setting up an emotionally manipulative and drama-inducing scenario like Brother vs. Brother is something that takes a clue, not the absence of one. I mean even stupid people have motives. What would Jen's motive be for putting the brothers up against each other?

I missed what happened with Roberto/Luis' mother wife comment.

Luis and Felicia were neck and neck at the challenge.  Felicia won. Roberta came to the finish line and made a remark to Luis that he let the weakest player get immunity.  Erin took offense and the battle was on from there. Roberto apologized because he knew he was in the wrong.  Why did this all of a sudden become a male vs female team battle ?  both genders got the same idea, so the producers probably put them up to it.   

Also, FYI - could have done without the drunk female piercings 

Not done watching yet, but haven't seen anything that Colby has done that has been offensive .  He selected a wine tasting over training on his birthday. so?

Is it Lewis or Luis? Jen called him Lewis

It's spelled Luis but even the twins seem to pronounce it Lewis.  Maybe when he was small his Anglican classmates kept mis-pronouncing it and it stuck?

Your logic seems reversed though, on the supposition that she's not that bright. I mean I'd argue that setting up an emotionally manipulative and drama-inducing scenario like Brother vs. Brother is something that takes a clue, not the absence of one. I mean even stupid people have motives. What would Jen's motive be for putting the brothers up against each other?

I think Jen thought it would be cool to have a twin versus twin showdown instead of doing what was strategically best for her team - have a big guy who works hard go against a smaller woman who is generally not pulling as high a percentage.  In other words, I don't think strategy is her strong point.

I do think she delivered exactly what the producers wanted, though, whether of her own choice (whatever the reasons) or because she was directed to do so.

The sobbing in the first hour almost killed me. Paid no attention during the visit home.

That being said, Rob and Luis both look great. I think they are the first really impressive post-stories. 

Rob looked good, but he would have looked better without the mom jeans.

I'm just grateful that no one whipped out a boob for the classiest of tattoos.

• Love 1

Luis and Felicia were neck and neck at the challenge. Felicia won. Roberta came to the finish line and made a remark to Luis that he let the weakest player get immunity. Erin took offense and the battle was on from there. Roberto apologized because he knew he was in the wrong. Why did this all of a sudden become a male vs female team battle ? both genders got the same idea, so the producers probably put them up to it.

Not done watching yet, but haven't seen anything that Colby has done that has been offensive . He selected a wine tasting over training on his birthday. so?

It's spelled Luis but even the twins seem to pronounce it Lewis. Maybe when he was small his Anglican classmates kept mis-pronouncing it and it stuck?

It wasn't explicitly said, but I got the feeling the "you" in the "you let the weakest player win it" was meant for Bob/the producers. There was such defensiveness in Bob's voice when he was showing the replay clip that it made it seem like he been personally blamed for choosing Felicia over Luis.

It sounds like Luis pronounces his name "Lew-es". It was a combination of Lewis and Luis. I would assume Americanized pronunciation.

Not done watching yet, but haven't seen anything that Colby has done that has been offensive .  He selected a wine tasting over training on his birthday. so?

It was his attempting to form a good ol' boys club alliance that irked me. One of the players he was recruiting still has a wife on the show. Just in general, I am not a fan of Colby's anyway.

Luis is an asshole.  Lots of misogynistic pigs have wives and mothers, dumbass.

A lot of these contestants strike me as being really stupid.  And miserable.  And unlikeable.

Felicia's legs are bigger now than when she started.

I think Erin, and possibly Lauren, are the only people I can root for now.  Maybe Stephen.  Actually, on second thought, I don't really care about any of them.

This season is so bad.

It was his attempting to form a good ol' boys club alliance that irked me. One of the players he was recruiting still has a wife on the show.

The women were shown forming a good ole' girls' club alliance at the exact same time (the evening dinner/piercing event).  Jackie even said during that scene that she would convince Stephen to vote with the girls. We had not seen any women vs men stuff until this week.... the first week they went to singles.  It seems to me that the producers egged this on.  The truth is Jackie and Stephen coordinating their votes  like that puts a target on both of them because they have twice the say of everyone else. 

I agree this season is bad - it's a combination of Bob rather than Allison.... and the fact that all the contestants are playing a game as opposed to trying to win by losing weight. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

I could not tell Roberto & Luis apart, & I have twin boys!

I don't know what this episode was supposed to teach us. The people that failed their temptations seemed to lose the most.

And why did none of the women say no to Felicia? She had immunity & they did not. All of their supposed willpower went out the window. I would NOT have been doing shots or getting a piercing!

I also thought it was unfair to go to singles after a home visit week for 2.

Roberto & Luis wouldn't even taste the dish they had been dreaming & talking about for weeks? So what is the show telling us about moderation? It has to be all or nothing?

Strange mixed messages this week.

And why did none of the women say no to Felicia? 

Because the slimeball producers (and few shows have bigger slimeball producers than this one) put them up to it.

I agree this season is bad - it's a combination of Bob rather than Allison.... and the fact that all the contestants are playing a game as opposed to trying to win by losing weight. 

If we're being honest, Allison was as big a stooge as anyone working for this show, but she emoted pretty well and was believable. Bob just projects ego monster/asshole.

I've wanted Felicia off the show for awhile now. 

I was making the Bye-Bye Felicia jokes from Week 1 and have been continuously disappointed it hasn't actually applied yet.

• Love 1

I would NOT have been doing shots or getting a piercing!

I kind of liked that they were doing shots - if you're watching calories and still want to drink, that's probably the most calorie efficient way to do it, rather than choosing "low-cal" beers like the guys were having.

• Love 1

The cheese stands alone, I guess. I have no problem with Felicia. I was fine with Bob until that game show clip showed up. Now I watch him with the ol' side-eyes.

I am, though, glad that there is still a member of the old guard left on the show. It makes up for the fact that I can barely tolerate Jen.