Type keyword(s) to search

@Midnight in the Media

COMEDY CENTRAL® RENEWS “@MIDNIGHT WITH CHRIS HARDWICK” FOR FOURTH SEASON; TWO-TIME EMMY®-AWARD WINNING LATE-NIGHT SERIES CONTINUES THROUGH 2017

NEW YORK, October 7, 2016 – Fresh off its second straight Emmy® win, the late-night curator of the internet’s freshest pop culture moments keeps the jokes coming as Comedy Central has renewed “@midnight with Chris Hardwick” for a fourth season, it was announced today by Kent Alterman, President, Comedy Central. The fourth season order of “@midnight” is a 40-week run that will air throughout 2017.

(No word in that piece about when it will go back to airing at midnight...)

• Love 2

Hardwick was on James Corden's Late Late Show recently. I forget what day it was (I'm in a blur of insomnia where the days and nights run into each other). Corden had done a montage of Hardwick saying "balls" on "The Wall" so they talked about that for a while. There was also some wedding conversation. Nothing newsworthy, just what to me seemed like a very random late night appearance.

Continuing in Comedy Central’s grand tradition of producing groundbreaking late night formats, comes The President Show. Just like a certain chief executive in Washington, The President Show gleefully tosses out the rulebook of its predecessors. Created by Anthony Atamanuik who hosts as Donald J. Trump, and produced by Clone Wolf Productions and 3 Arts Entertainment, this weekly, topical series will air on Thursdays following The Daily Show with Trevor Noah beginning Thursday, April 27 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT.

In case you're wondering, as I was: "@midnight, which relocated from midnight to 11:30 PM Monday through Thursday following the cancellation of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, will move back to midnight on Thursday while remaining at 11:30 PM Monday – Wednesday."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, trow125 said:

In case you're wondering, as I was: "@midnight, which relocated from midnight to 11:30 PM Monday through Thursday following the cancellation of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore, will move back to midnight on Thursday while remaining at 11:30 PM Monday – Wednesday."

ugh so glad I don't watch it when it airs - I watch it next day on CC's website. 

That's odd programming even in the age of DVRs. I just hope Chris will now stop explaining the show name/time inconsistency over and over.

Also, ptooey on The President Show. Satire or not, I am SICK TO DEATH of every freaking late night show being 90% Trump jokes.

40 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Also, ptooey on The President Show. Satire or not,

This is the guy having Twitter war with Alec Baldwin about who does better impression of Trump....

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, paigow said:

This is the guy having Twitter war with Alec Baldwin about who does better impression of Trump....

Well, it's a long tradition. Rich Little and Fred Travalena used to call each other up and blow raspberries on the phone.

Edited by Lord Donia
5 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Well, it's a long tradition. Rich Little and Fred Travalena used to call each other up and blow raspberries on the phone,

Marge: Well, I guess Macy's and Gimbels learned to live side by side.
Agnes: Gimbels is gone, Marge. Long gone. You're Gimbels.

15 minutes ago, attica said:

I understand it will be a reboot of The Nightly Show. Yeesh.

Maybe it will target Trump supporters to convince them that they have been betrayed. Too many "foreigner" comedians - Oliver & Noah - might be distracting from the message.

1 hour ago, attica said:

I understand it will be a reboot of The Nightly Show. Yeesh.

The articles I read said they hadn't even decided on a format and would in the next few months. 

I feel weirdly devastated by this news. I kind of hoped it would run forever. I stopped watching TDS after the election, but @M was always my reliable source for stupid jokes and juvenile wit. 

• Love 3

Not surprising, I guess. My own interest and engagement has certainly tapered off over the years. If Chris can be taken at his word, it sounds like he was getting a little burned out.

The biggest loss may be for the up and coming comedians who got increased recognition/bookings because of the show.

7 hours ago, trow125 said:

I feel weirdly devastated by this news. I kind of hoped it would run forever. I stopped watching TDS after the election, but @M was always my reliable source for stupid jokes and juvenile wit. 

I'm bummed too. I need something funny/topical to watch while I eat breakfast, and now without Larry Wilmore and Chris? I can't go back to TDS, Jessica Williams is doing movies now, Franchesca Ramsey is on the computer not the teevee, Sam and John O are only on once a week. So....Seth, maybe? Sigh.

• Love 1

I think Trevor has been doing an increasingly good job at TDS, but I never really went to @midnight for my topical news-humor fix. It was more my go-to for silly word games. I thought they were a much better show when they moved to 11:30 and cut back on the % of dick jokes and started doing other kinds of jokes, but I also think that Hardwick is raking in the dough hosting game shows in prime time, and I can't imagine @midnight pays nearly as much as that. What's interesting to me is that they didn't try to find a new host instead of cancelling it. I guess they think they can get more eyeballs for less money putting South Park reruns on, instead?

I wouldn't want a different host. Chris's intelligence, energy, and variety of interests bring a specialness to the show that another comedian just spouting dick jokes wouldn't.  I wish him the best, but I will miss this show a lot. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, attica said:

I'm bummed too. I need something funny/topical to watch while I eat breakfast, and now without Larry Wilmore and Chris? I can't go back to TDS, Jessica Williams is doing movies now, Franchesca Ramsey is on the computer not the teevee, Sam and John O are only on once a week. So....Seth, maybe? Sigh.

This will literally be the first time since the days of "Late Night with David Letterman" (yes, I'm old) that I won't be regularly recording a single late-night TV show.

Robin Thede's new show looks promising, but it'll only be on once a week. 

• Love 1

Should we have a drinking game for the next 2 weeks? Two girls, one cup. Schindler's List...

I expect appearances by frequent guests like Ron Funches and Doug Benson...my mind is blanking on the woman who was the other champion. I hope for Flula, Milana, and Paul F.

First of all, saddened by this news because I will always be grateful to @midnight for introducing me to the joy of Ron Funches and Paul F. Tompkins. Loved the election episode with those two and Whitney Cummings and I have never cared for her - it's still on my DVR!

Secondly, I highly recommend Seth Meyers as a Monday-Thursday replacement. Don't worry about the interviews, although there are some good ones, but his political commentary is on point and entertaining.

• Love 2

The number of times this show has aided me in answering a question or two in the Friday Slate quiz is nearly avogadro's in heft.* An office mate and I have a fierce running combat, and he is way much smarter than I am. I need all the help I can get from all the weird corners of popcult news.

*Yeah, that's right. I made a mole joke. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Secondly, I highly recommend Seth Meyers as a Monday-Thursday replacement. Don't worry about the interviews, although there are some good ones, but his political commentary is on point and entertaining.

The reason I got so attached to @M after the election is because of the LACK of political commentary. At the end of the day, I just wanted some fun, escapist entertainment. (I tend to read a lot of news coverage during the day, and I regularly watch Sam Bee & John Oliver, so it's not like I have my head in the sand... I know what's going on in the world.) There's really no alternative now except maybe the bubble-headed antics of Jimmy Fallon, and sorry, I would rather watch a test pattern.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, attica said:

The number of times this show has aided me in answering a question or two in the Friday Slate quiz is nearly avogadro's in heft.* An office mate and I have a fierce running combat, and he is way much smarter than I am. I need all the help I can get from all the weird corners of popcult news.

*Yeah, that's right. I made a mole joke. 

Have you listened to "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me?" It's an NPR podcast where comedians answer questions about news stories from the week. It's like @midnight's mature older sibling. 

• Love 1