Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: From The Ashes Of Tragedy

• Start Topic

On 2/3/2016 at 0:55 AM, PepperMonkey said:

I think Cuba Gooding Jr is an excellent actor. I also think he is totally wrong for the part of OJ. From the timbre of his voice to his physical appearance, IMHO, it's just jarring.

One episode in and this is my major gripe.  It bothers me because OJ's physical nature mattered to this story.  OJ looked, acted and sounded like a totally un-intimidating 'leading man' sort of movie star and that helped people to really doubt his guilt.  He was used to sliding by on his looks and amicable demeanor.  

I'm just now finally getting around to watching this show two years later! I remember all of this stuff happening, especially the car chase (because it happened on my sister's birthday), but to be honest I don't remember all of the details of the trial, so it will be interesting to see how much was changed (heh, versus what I actually remember).

I think it's going to take at least one more episode for me to stop seeing Ross every time David Schwimmer is on my screen.

On 2/2/2016 at 0:21 PM, Megan in Seattle said:

Somehow, with those eyebrows and in that shot, Travolta looks like Schwarzenegger.

I was trying to figure out what the hell that rubbery looking face looked like with the new eyebrows and you nailed it!

On 2/2/2016 at 7:16 PM, Sarah D. Bunting said:

"Though I don't think I would use the term "serious bad ass" to describe him." Fair enough, but in my memory he was the one of, like, four people who consistently and from the beginning would say in so many words that he thought OJ did it. People were *awfully* careful at the time not to pick a side, and even after the verdict, to find someone who would just say "he murdered those people" was relatively rare. (see also: Bugliosi, Vincent) It was a strange time.

After watching the trial, I knew several people who did not hesitate to refer to OJ as "the guy who murdered those people." About two years after the murder, I was in LA with my sister and some friends and someone (very morbidly) said, "Hey, can we drive past the house where OJ murdered those people?" (all I can really say about that is that kids are dumb and insensitive) Another time, I was at the mall and we saw a pair of fancy men's shoes and someone said, "Aren't those the same kind of shoes OJ was wearing when he murdered those people?"

I lived in southern California during the Rodney King trial and the riots. I remember everyone's absolute shock and bewilderment when the verdict was read. I also remember seeing the burned out shells of buildings even years afterward, so I get the racial tension and I'm glad they included that at the beginning of the first episode to remind us what it was like.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo