Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: From The Ashes Of Tragedy

• Start Topic

I agree about Fred Goldman. If this show tries to smear him, the door will be hitting me on my ass on my way out. He despises the Kardashians too, so that's another plus in his column (the opposing downside is Goldman using a piece of shit like Dr. Phil for access to the public, as he has recently).

• Love 13

I am *dying* to know what that picture at the top is. Is OJ in bed with a tweenager?? I haven't been this excited for a tv show in... well, forever.

And seriously, what were we thinking about in re: clothes in the mid-90s??

• Love 3
I checked to see who's playing Fred Goldman, because the man is a serious bad-ass who handled what befell his family with warrior fortitude, in my opinion. ...Joseph "Johnny Boy Soprano" Siravo. I wouldn't have thought of him in a gazillion years and he's perfect.

Fred Goldman was/is a pillar of strength. Though I don't think I would use the term "serious bad ass" to describe him. I was around for all of this, and I can think of a lot of words to describe Fred Goldman, those particular words have never crossed my mind. And I will have to reserve my judgment on how he is portrayed. Casting from the well of Hollywood's C-list, "gangster", character actor contingent is really not the way I would have gone. But we shall see.

I am *dying* to know what that picture at the top is. Is OJ in bed with a tweenager?? I haven't been this excited for a tv show in... well, forever.

Having not seen this yet, I could be mistaken, but I do believe OJ is in Kim Kardashian's room (she would have been 13 at that time), and I am guessing that is Paula Barbieri he is in bed with.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 10

Fred Goldman was/is a pillar of strength. Though I don't think I would use the term "serious bad ass" to describe him. I was around for all of this, and I can think of a lot of words to describe Fred Goldman, those particular words have never crossed my mind. And I will have to reserve my judgment on how he is portrayed. Casting from the well of Hollywood's C-list, "gangster", character actor contingent is really not the way I would have gone. But we shall see.

Having not seen this yet, I could be mistaken, but I do believe OJ is in Kim Kardashian's room (she would have been 13 at that time), and I am guessing that is Paula Barbieri he is in bed with.

It's a bit odd him being in Kim's bed at all, even with someone else, then again this thing is already claiming OJ hid in Kim's room to try and commit suicide (something Fred Goldman thinks is bullshit designed just to invoke the unholy name of the Kardashians as well as garner sympathy for OJ).

• Love 4

It's a bit odd him being in Kim's bed at all, even with someone else, then again this thing is already claiming OJ hid in Kim's room to try and commit suicide (something Fred Goldman thinks is bullshit designed just to invoke the unholy name of the Kardashians as well as garner sympathy for OJ).

Actually according to the Secret Tapes documentary, that part was true. When my mom saw it, she said it was a pity OJ didn't just do it and save everyone the trouble. Maybe if it weren't for the trial the Kardashians would have remained in obscurity where they belonged.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
As you may have heard, OJ Simpson -- Heisman Trophy winner; legendary NFL running back; ubiquitous commercial pitchman; actor in the Naked Gun films -- was accused of and went on trial for murdering his ex-wife Nicole Brown and a second victim, Ronald Goldman, in June of 1994.

People always forget about Capricorn One.

Bonus points for co-starring with Jack McCoy from L&O.

• Love 1

Actually according to the Secret Tapes documentary, that part was true. When my mom saw it, she said it was a pity OJ didn't just do it and save everyone the trouble. Maybe if it weren't for the trial the Kardashians would have remained in obscurity where they belonged.

Aren't those just tapes of OJ talking? Him saying it happened doesn't mean it's true. The man is a liar and a murderer, yes?

That said, I suppose at the time there'd be no motive to glorify/take advantage of the Kardashian name.

• Love 3

I feel for the Goldmans. I knew Kim a while ago and was actually friends with her for several years before I connected the dots that her brother who had passed away was *that* Ron Goldman. She's a very kind person with the spirit of an activist. It can't feel good to watch the trial of her brother's killer replayed over and over again, given the outcome.

With that said, however, I'm a Los Angeleno and I have such strong memories of that case. Our company party was brought to a halt when everyone gathered to watch the Bronco chase. When the trial was on, there was a television kept running in the conference room, so people could stop in and watch it as they worked. It was like nothing I've ever experienced before. So I will watch this show riveted, but I'll feel queasy about it.

• Love 22

People always forget about Capricorn One.

Bonus points for co-starring with Jack McCoy from L&O.

And Steven Kiley, MD from Marcus Welby, MD/Peter McDermott from Hotel, among others, & the current Mr. Barbra Streisand. Just saying.

Aren't those just tapes of OJ talking? Him saying it happened doesn't mean it's true. The man is a liar and a murderer, yes?

Yes, he is a liar and a murderer. Still, while he obviously didn't commit suicide, I don't see why it is so hard to believe OJ was suicidal. I guess we only have OJ's word that he thought of checking out in Kim Kardashian's bedroom, but as the Bronco chase was occurring, the notion that it would end with his suicide was very much on the mind of everyone watching. I know that is how I thought it was going to end. And those who were close to the action (the police, his lawyers, etc) all confirm that was the fear at the time. Analysis of the letter he wrote has time and again been found to indicate that OJ was likely in a suicidal frame of mind. Again, he didn't kill himself, but I can easily believe his mind went there. And I can't help Imagine the differences in the world today if he had ended it all. 

• Love 18

AJ typo corrected.

"Though I don't think I would use the term "serious bad ass" to describe him." Fair enough, but in my memory he was the one of, like, four people who consistently and from the beginning would say in so many words that he thought OJ did it. People were *awfully* careful at the time not to pick a side, and even after the verdict, to find someone who would just say "he murdered those people" was relatively rare. (see also: Bugliosi, Vincent) It was a strange time.

• Love 6

Well, we are only a few minutes in and already the errors are bugging me.  Kato was outside investigating the "bumps" when OJ's limo first arrived, and when OJ came out.  Personally, I think that's significant, actually everything that happened with Kato that night was significant, since OJ set him up to be his alibi.

Anyway, I approve of the opening with Rodney King, because that certainly set the tone of the times.

Hopefully it gets better.

• Love 10

I thought this was great. It brought back so many memories. I remember the long debates about if OJ did it and the endless trial that everyone was addicted to. I was annoyed because the soaps were preempted for the trial. I was relieved when the whole thing was over. Truthfully, I never knew all the details so if the show has gotten anything wrong, I wouldn't know. I do remember that the Bronco chase which was surreal and ridiculous. 

I read criticism about Cuba Gooding Jr.'s performance, but I thought he was outstanding as O.J. The casting director did a great job with all the roles. The whole cast is excellent. David Schwimmer, especially, was a surprise. This role might revive his dormant acting career. The soundtrack is very well done and ratchets up the tension and drama nicely.

The flashbacks to Rodney King, the police brutality against African Americans, and riots just shows that nothing ever changes.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 24

Watching this brought back the 90's for me. I was in Italian class taking a test when a student walked in and said Not Guilty. Crying when Nicole's sister was talking about the abuse. I use to get annoyed when they would interrupt the daytime soaps to give you trial updates.

Kato Kaelin had said before this aired that they got things wrong about him and that night. Rodney King and the riots which I always felt was part of the reason the jury found him Not Guilty. I can understand why the families are upset watching the bodies being discovered was tough. The daughter leaving the message on the machine was sad.

It seems like this should have been a slam dunk case and sadly the whole thing turned into a circus.

David Schwimmer I have not seen him since friends I thought he did alright. Courtney B. Vance was good. I agree with a few reviews that John Travolta was a weak link. Cuba Gooding Jr. was good. I went in with low expectations of him so that helped.

"Money is the only was to get justice" and O.J. not wanting to pay money to the Goldman's is what led to him finally going to prison.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 9

I really thought Cuba turned in a strong, terrifying performance of a man completely walking a tightrope and barely controlling his rage. He scared me. A lot. And it's goddamn Cuba Gooding Jr - SHOW ME THE MONEY, JERRY - yet I was terrified of him when he went into OJ's scratchy, almost screeching diatribes.

I'm so in. But then again, I was a 13 year old home with mono for two months from school and watched nothing but the trial during that time, so I would have been in regardless. But having it be good is a nice surprise.

• Love 22

OK, so when the not guilty verdict came in, I was astounded. I was astounded that people were defending him and saying he wasn't guilty, despite the evidence. From what I have read and seen so far, I am already starting to get a better understanding of how race permeated every part of this case from day one

The guy playing Johnnie Cochran is excellent. I think John Travolta is trying to play Shapiro mannerisms. He's ok, but Travolta's face scares me. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 16

The thing that's sticking with me is that OJ is very obviously being written and played as if he has/had CTE. While it's not exactly a new theory, I didn't expect it to be a huge, dominant thread in the show. Has anyone here read to book the show is adapted from, and if so, is it touched on there?

Also: Felt like the wrong move to even show extras playing the bodies and should have just used the reaction shots in those scenes. Especially since Jeffrey Toobin had been misleading about it while doing media for the show.

But yes, overall, well done except for the really broad performances from Travolta and some others.

• Love 4

I thought his acting was fine, but the one thing I couldn't get past was his voice. Last night I watched an LMN documentary on the civil trial the Goldmans brought against OJ, and they showed a lot of footage of OJs depositions so his voice is fresh in my mind. OJ's voice is deep and very distinctive, but Cuba's is just too high and raspy. I was distracted by how 'off' his voice sounded to me.

I agree with the timbre difference. But I appreciated Cuba's take on his rage, even if the quality of tone was off.

• Love 10

I can't help but think OJ is getting the sympathy edit here. I hate the fact that spousal abuse took a back seat to racial issues.

Travolta looks like a caricature

Bad makeup job or botox/filler overload? Did they inject cement in his face or too much latex on the outside? It's distracting

• Love 13

I was but a fetus when these murders happened (born at the end of July that year) but we studied this case pretty thoroughly in my high school sociology class and it's one (of many; I'm looking forward to seeing what other cases this show does if it gets picked up for more seasons) I've always been fascinated by it so I'm definitely in.

The only thing holding me back from watching this was Ryan Murphy's name attached to it. I find him to be a hack of the worst order who squanders any decent idea he has, but then I read the review on The AV Club that he didn't write any of the scripts so that changed my mind. The biggest draw for me, besides the source material, was Sarah Paulson. I thought she really shone in the trailer and I'm looking forward to how she plays Clarke's unraveling as the case goes on. As they kind of alluded to in this episode, it should have been an easy case to win, but there were so many factors the prosecution didn't count on, and yes, they were made (sometimes by their own hand) to look like morons. I'm also pleasantly surprised by David Schwimmer. I was afraid I would only be able to see Ross Gellar but he's doing a great job of distancing himself from his signature role. The tone of this show definitely helps that.

I couldn't even tell you whether or not John Travolta was doing a good job, I spent too much time being mesmerized by his eyebrows.

Hopefully they cool it with the wink-winks to the Kardashians (although I do love Selma Blair). If we can't hold him responsible for double homicide, can we at least blame OJ for foisting that horrid family onto the public consciousness?

It looks like they're going to get really in-depth with all of the different things that factored into the outcome of the case, which is good. There's so much at play here and 10 episodes (it's 10, right?) seems like just the right amount of time to make sure everything gets covered. The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive so I'm optimistic.

• Love 17

The thing that's sticking with me is that OJ is very obviously being written and played as if he has/had CTE. While it's not exactly a new theory, I didn't expect it to be a huge, dominant thread in the show. Has anyone here read to book the show is adapted from, and if so, is it touched on there?

Also: Felt like the wrong move to even show extras playing the bodies and should have just used the reaction shots in those scenes. Especially since Jeffrey Toobin had been misleading about it while doing media for the show.

But yes, overall, well done except for the really broad performances from Travolta and some others.

The book this is based on is The Run of His Life: The People v. O. J. Simpson, by Jeffrey Toobin, which was published in 1996. I thought CTE wasn't talked about until much more recently than that, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 4

Don't forget Nathan Lane as F Lee Bailey! Then again...

I grew up overseas and this was big even there. CNN International aired the Bronco chase live, and gave quite a bit of it's coverage towards this case. I mean, you had the channel giving coverage to the Rwandan Genocide, the ongoing war in the Balkans/former Yugoslavia...and this. It was surreal.

On the one hand, you did wonder why, as tragic as this was, it would capture the world's attention, since it was basically a former football player who was accused of killing his ex-wife (tragic yes, but murders happen all the time). On the other hand, all the issues about race and class and celebrity that surrounded and followed this case as well do give some credence to why it got so big, even if the media did focus on the sensational aspects of the case more than anything.

And of course...the Dancing Itos.

• Love 7

The book this is based on is The Run of His Life: The People v. O. J. Simpson, by Jeffrey Toobin, which was published in 1996. I thought CTE wasn't talked about until much more recently than that, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Huh, I thought Toobin wrote a newer book. Thanks. So...either this is something added by the writers or Toobin was ahead of the curve Re: football players and brain damage.

• Love 1

I was but a fetus when these murders happened (born at the end of July that year) but we studied this case pretty thoroughly in my high school sociology class and it's one (of many; I'm looking forward to seeing what other cases this show does if it gets picked up for more seasons) I've always been fascinated by it so I'm definitely in.

The only thing holding me back from watching this was Ryan Murphy's name attached to it. I find him to be a hack of the worst order who squanders any decent idea he has, but then I read the review on The AV Club that he didn't write any of the scripts so that changed my mind. The biggest draw for me, besides the source material, was Sarah Paulson. I thought she really shone in the trailer and I'm looking forward to how she plays Clarke's unraveling as the case goes on. As they kind of alluded to in this episode, it should have been an easy case to win, but there were so many factors the prosecution didn't count on, and yes, they were made (sometimes by their own hand) to look like morons. I'm also pleasantly surprised by David Schwimmer. I was afraid I would only be able to see Ross Gellar but he's doing a great job of distancing himself from his signature role. The tone of this show definitely helps that.

I couldn't even tell you whether or not John Travolta was doing a good job, I spent too much time being mesmerized by his eyebrows.

Hopefully they cool it with the wink-winks to the Kardashians (although I do love Selma Blair). If we can't hold him responsible for double homicide, can we at least blame OJ for foisting that horrid family onto the public consciousness?

It looks like they're going to get really in-depth with all of the different things that factored into the outcome of the case, which is good. There's so much at play here and 10 episodes (it's 10, right?) seems like just the right amount of time to make sure everything gets covered. The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive so I'm optimistic.

They've already announced a second season will/would be about Hurricane Katrina (presumably how badly the disaster/recovery was mismanaged by the governmental officials involved, on all levels).

Sadly, if OJ hadn't introduced us to the Kardashians I think we'd have still been destined to be overly exposed to the women of the family, given that Kris Kardashian did eventually divorce Robert, Senior, before his death & go on to marry Bruce, now Caitlyn, Jenner. Even if Nicole & Ron hadn't been murdered, & the Simpsons, Kardashians, et al, hadn't been thrown into the spotlight/a bigger spotlight by the trial, the Kardashians' marriage probably still would've ended, she would've still married Bruce Jenner--before he became Caitlyn, of course--& they'd have had their 2 daughters together, & the Kardashian/Jenner women would've gotten their foothold into fame via Kris' marriage to the now former Bruce Jenner.

Yes, it's a total of 10 episodes (9 to go, now) in the miniseries.

• Love 5

This was a pretty good first episode to start with. I enjoyed the setup to how the trial started and the missteps that wee already taken on both sides. I didn't think they'd show the bodies but I guess it makes it more real for the audience. They nailed the casting and everybody played their part tonight. Small part she had tonight but as a FNL lover it's jarring to see Tami Taylor as "morally corrupt" Faye Resnick.

This trial really jump started the 24 hour news media and you now see 20 years later how much it changed the landscape. I was only in fourth grade when this happened and my teacher had a TV so we could watch the verdict. Being one of three black students in the class I did notice right away our reactions were different from the others and our teacher so race did play a very big role in the support and reaction to this case to many.

• Love 9
Anyway, I approve of the opening with Rodney King, because that certainly set the tone of the times.

I'm not a Ryan Murphy fan so the King opening and all the rave advance reviews gave me hope that the series would be well executed and maybe award worthy. Nope, not even close. Cheesy production style, bad hair/makeup, and I'm distracted by how much Gooding doesn't look or sound like OJ. It's possible to do the 1990s without making the actors look like they're on SNL. Travolta's one facial expression is killing me. Did he only have one photo of Shapiro in his research or is he doing an impression of a bald eagle? And there are 10 episodes total? *sigh* I'll try one more.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 3

Even if Nicole & Ron hadn't been murdered, & the Simpsons, Kardashians, et al, hadn't been thrown into the spotlight/a bigger spotlight by the trial, the Kardashians' marriage probably still would've ended, she would've still married Bruce Jenner--before he became Caitlyn, of course--& they'd have had their 2 daughters together, & the Kardashian/Jenner women would've gotten their foothold into fame via Kris' marriage to the now former Bruce Jenner.

Kris was already married to Caitlyn when the murders happened, they got married in 1991, and she was pregnant with her daughter Kendall during the trial.

• Love 5

Well, we are only a few minutes in and already the errors are bugging me.  Kato was outside investigating the "bumps" when OJ's limo first arrived, and when OJ came out.  Personally, I think that's significant, actually everything that happened with Kato that night was significant, since OJ set him up to be his alibi.

Hopefully it gets better.

I have to agree.  I thought the limo driver gave the most compelling testimony, and I expected to see some of that.  Guess we'll hear his story later.  But what bothered me the most was how they handled the body discovery.   The dog, Kato, had been found earlier by a concerned neighbor.  He attempted to take him in, but after a time he decided to walk the distraught dog.  The dog led him to the bodies.  That story was so heartbreaking, and they managed to take all of the emotion out of it.

• Love 13

I'm not sold on Cuba as OJ. The voice is all wrong and they just don't look enough alike. I wish they'd gone with more of an unknown. 

Sarah Paulson on the other hand is very good and I too am surprised at David Schwimmer. There are a bunch of things that feel inaccurate or unbelievable but I'm interested in seeing more episodes. 

The actor playing Johnnie Cochran is bringing the sleaze so I definitely approve. 

Did Sydney really leave a message or was that an embellishment? Very sad if true. Not that it isn't impossibly sad already but that detail is heartbreaking. I wonder how the children feel about it today. 

• Love 12

I was only in fourth grade when this happened and my teacher had a TV so we could watch the verdict. Being one of three black students in the class I did notice right away our reactions were different from the others and our teacher so race did play a very big role in the support and reaction to this case to many.

That is so interesting, I was going to post something similar. I was in high school during the verdict and the teacher also wheeled in a TV to watch. When it was read a few of the very few black students in the school were whooping and running in the halls. I remember feeling an intense self awareness of my complete ignorance about racial issues of any kind. I thought that starting with the LA Riots in this show was 100% appropriate and spot on, especially looking back at my super sheltered naïveté at the time.

I loved this, but I like movies like this even when they are bad, and I love true crime, and this story is the perfect amount of familiar and compelling to me. I didn't know a lot of the details (I mostly remember Kato giving testimony. Was it during spring break? I feel like I watched it all live). Speaking of, the guy who plays Kato is hilarious.

• Love 13

If I had an ex-husband and he was killed, please don't jump my security gate and claim you are looking to tell me.  Never quite understood why the search was upheld.  it doesn't mean I don't think OJ wasn't guilty-I just never understood  why it was okay to conduct a de facto search of OJ's place.  I guess at one point the theory was floated out there they thought OJ might be a victim.

I'm not sold on Cuba as OJ. The voice is all wrong and they just don't look enough alike. I wish they'd gone with more of an unknown. 

Sarah Paulson on the other hand is very good and I too am surprised at David Schwimmer. There are a bunch of things that feel inaccurate or unbelievable but I'm interested in seeing more episodes. 

The actor playing Johnnie Cochran is bringing the sleaze so I definitely approve. 

Did Sydney really leave a message or was that an embellishment? Very sad if true. Not that it isn't impossibly sad already but that detail is heartbreaking. I wonder how the children feel about it today. 

Great foster care if the person charged with  taking care of the children allowed them to call home knowing their mother had been murdered.  Please tell me it is an embellishment.

• Love 7

I was born in November '95 so I was still in the womb when the trail went down, so my opinion of this is probably going to be different than those of you who saw it all go down in real time. I thought the casting was done well. Sarah Paulson was great, and I say this as someone who usually can't stand her. But Cuba Gooding Jr's voice pulls me out of it, it's just so distinctly him and not OJ at all. I think they did well at establishing the racial tensions of the time, I know it was highly polarizing just from talking to my parents about the case, after the trailers for this season came out.... My black father has a very different view of the case than my white mother. All in all I'm on board for the rest of the season.

• Love 10

The show is a dramatization "based on" true facts. The truth of the matter for those of us who lived this tragedy, is that we only saw the court room proceedings and read the BS that was printed in the newspapers. It's good to see what MAY have gone on behind the scenes outside of the courtroom. I enjoyed watching this first episode and thought the actors did a good job, with the exception of Travolta who tried to hard to imitate Shapiro and failed miserably. Paulson and Schwimmer were great.

• Love 7

Okay I'm hooked. Ya got me Ryan Murphy. I wasn't even this into the case when it was happening 20 years ago! Like the poster above I was annoyed the trial interrupted daytime TV.  I'm in it for Courtney P. Vance's Johnny Cochran, Sarah Paulson's chain smoking Marcia Clarke, John Travolta's Robert Shapiro, whoever is playing Kato Kaelin, Connie Britton as Faye Resnick.and surprisingly David Schwimmer's Robert Kardashian.

Yes Cuba doesn't look or sound like OJ at all but he was great as playing someone who was on the edge. His ranting about the lie detector test was just...wow.

I thought I was in for the long haul with this until the funeral scene and I heard the completely unnecessary "Kourtney, Khloe stop running" from the Evil Kris Jenner character and I was out.
There was absolutely no reason for that line to be in there. This is the story about the murder of 2 human beings, why the hell did they have to add that stupid line about that disgusting family?

Like it or not the Kardashian family were friends with OJ and Nicole. OJ really did try to kill himself in Kim's bedroom. I thought it was a good way to get any references out of the way.

And yes he did try to kill himself in Kim's bedroom. Not sure if she really had a Joey Lawrence poster thojugh.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 13