Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Diagnosis of Exclusion

I wish The Gift of Fear were required reading for girls in about 6th/7th grade.  I taught 6th/7th/8th for over 20 years, and I can tell you, the message in the book is something most girls really need.  Listen to your instincts!  Don't let people trample over your boundaries in the name of good manners!  Malaya's behavior was a textbook example of how these psychopaths prey on women's conditioning to be polite and never hurt feelings.   

Well, ha, I abhor confrontation, so I'm generally polite and don't fuss and people trample my boundaries on a regular basis.  I think the message of the book is that we still have an innate instinct that tells us we're in danger, which we brush off because we're used to assessing external cues.  Not many people trust the little hairs riffling at the back of their necks when everything else appears to be on the up and up.  Many examples in the book where survivors of violence said afterward (just like Malaya):  I knew something was wrong.

Malaya got that initial uneasy warning tingle the second the hand catching the elevator door turned out to be Gordon's.  Right then is the time to walk straight out of there, no explanation necessary.

• Love 2

I think they were implying that Gordon was stalking Malaya for months before the present day. He may have seen her during one of his ER stays and started stalking her from then. I don't understand how Gina could be buried so fast, unless this was all 2-3 days later (and Malaya was in the hospital). This would give enough time for Angus to confide in Mike and for them to meet with the board.

• Love 1

Well, ha, I abhor confrontation, so I'm generally polite and don't fuss and people trample my boundaries on a regular basis.  I think the message of the book is that we still have an innate instinct that tells us we're in danger, which we brush off because we're used to assessing external cues.  Not many people trust the little hairs riffling at the back of their necks when everything else appears to be on the up and up.  Many examples in the book where survivors of violence said afterward (just like Malaya):  I knew something was wrong.

Malaya got that initial uneasy warning tingle the second the hand catching the elevator door turned out to be Gordon's.  Right then is the time to walk straight out of there, no explanation necessary.

I think we're saying the same thing - yes, we have that innate sense, but women are really conditioned to ignore it in favor of not appearing or being "rude," as walking out of an elevator might be seen.  We have to get over that and do what that little warning is telling us to do. 

• Love 4

I think we're saying the same thing - yes, we have that innate sense, but women are really conditioned to ignore it in favor of not appearing or being "rude," as walking out of an elevator might be seen.  We have to get over that and do what that little warning is telling us to do. 

I kept yelling at my tv to take the stairs. In a parking deck like that there usually right by the elevator any way. Or over by the corners there's often stairs to outside. She had a head start and he was injured she probably could have out run him had she gone after he left the first time. I also think in Malaya's case she somewhat sheltered so the idea that someone would try to hurt her isn't really her first thought. It will be interesting if this changes her in future.

• Love 1

I kept yelling at my tv to take the stairs. In a parking deck like that there usually right by the elevator any way. Or over by the corners there's often stairs to outside. She had a head start and he was injured she probably could have out run him had she gone after he left the first time. I also think in Malaya's case she somewhat sheltered so the idea that someone would try to hurt her isn't really her first thought. It will be interesting if this changes her in future.

I understand this train of thought, but don't really agree with it.  While you were yelling at her to run, I was yelling at her to fight!

I've never understood why women are expected to run away, while men are expected to stand their ground and defend themselves.  I kept saying "Kick him in the balls, before he gets the jump on you!"  (Note:  Not knee, kick!)  "Stick your car keys in his eye!"  Everybody's got car keys, even if they don't carry something useful like this or this or this or this (far less this or this or this).  

It's like women are raised to be victims.  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Women are raised to be nice, polite, kind, helpful, ladylike and not make a fuss.  It is (or was) a very damaging way to be taught, that you always had to appease the men and never hurt their feelings.  I wonder if current-day ladies are raised with that same handicap plan.

• Love 1

I wonder if current-day ladies are raised with that same handicap plan.

I have a 14 year old and I don't know if I've ever come right out and said one way or another to always be polite and not make a fuss.  We have, however, from the time she was little (well, with my son, too), taught her that if someone tries to grab her to kick and scream and bite, etc., etc....And we signed her and her brother up for karate a few years ago. 

• Love 2

I understand this train of thought, but don't really agree with it.  While you were yelling at her to run, I was yelling at her to fight!

I've never understood why women are expected to run away, while men are expected to stand their ground and defend themselves.  I kept saying "Kick him in the balls, before he gets the jump on you!"  (Note:  Not knee, kick!)  "Stick your car keys in his eye!"  Everybody's got car keys, even if they don't carry something useful like this or this or this or this (far less this or this or this).  

It's like women are raised to be victims.  

Malaya is tiny though and though her stalker isn't huge he overpowered her pretty easily when he did grab her. Not to mention he could just as easily pulled out a gun as he did a knife. The sad truth is even for women who are trained in self defense running is often a safer and smarter option.  For the most part women are usually better runners than men anyway (its that whole upper body versus core strength thing). Tiny women throwing around guys three times her size looks cool in the movies but is actually really unlikely in real life unless you train for years. Having something for back up if you get jumped is great but in a situation like Malaya's escape has a much higher success rate than standing your ground. Running just means your smart not a victim IMO.

• Love 8

I took karate for several years and even the instructors advised the women that it was better to run if you could, rather than stay and fight.  You fight if you must.  The reason I took it in the first place was if I had to fight (plus, it was great exercise), but I was always of the mindset that I would run like hell if given the chance.  A few years after I stopped taking classes, I was put in a dangerous situation one evening when I was coming out of my apartment building.  Some guy I hadn't noticed was lurking in the corner and reached out to grab me.  I screamed bloody murder and took off running.  In high heels.  He started running after me but I outran the fucker and he gave up after about a block and a half and turned around and ran off.  The other thing is, even if you have keys, what if you drop them?  Plus, you have to have enough distance to kick them in the balls.  

In sum, it ain't like it is on TV and in the movies.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5

Angus told Mike all about it, toward the end of the episode.

Not on the recorded version on my DVR. I'm not going to re-watch the entire program, but 20-second skips of the show revealed only one scene between Mike and Angus, and that's when Mike acts like he knows what really happened. He wasn't on the scene in the parking garage. He just somehow knows. That was very puzzling to me.

This episode depicted doctors not handling crises very professionally. Christa is blubbering while she's doing chest compressions on Gordon. Mario enters the operating area screaming, "Who did this? Who did this?" Doctor mode, Mario. He seemed downright silly in this scene. And then there's Angus, although it's hard for me to find fault with him. He was at least calculated and level-headed. 

Just once on these doctor and cop shows, can a character finally acknowledge that they're not all right after a traumatic experience? Can't someone just go to his/her supervisor and say, "I'm not handling this very well, I think I need to see someone."

I wish they would be a bit more artistic about depicting the doctors at work. Show feet shifting and gauze and other trash dropping on the floor with voice-overs of the doctors or closeups of the doctors' faces. The gore fest just seems gratuitous to me and, detracts from the crisis. I'm not a damned doctor so showing guts does not improve my understanding of the show. Most likely, if I were a doctor, I'd find it all too phone anyway. 

Calling Doctor Guthrie. Angus needs someone to talk to.

Sorry to see Gina go. I liked her a lot.

• Love 3

The sad truth is even for women who are trained in self defense running is often a safer and smarter option.

But she didn't run, did she?

She was uncomfortable with the developing situation, but she wasn't quite ready to run.

At the first uneasy feeling, she should have pulled out something innocuous like the Cold Steel Honey Comb hairbrush, and carried on to her car.

If you're not happy, but not quite ready to run...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Women are raised to be nice, polite, kind, helpful, ladylike and not make a fuss.  It is (or was) a very damaging way to be taught, that you always had to appease the men and never hurt their feelings.  I wonder if current-day ladies are raised with that same handicap plan.

I think it's changing, and I think we're seeing that reflected in the general culture.  Back in the mid-nineties, I was assigned to mentor a teacher at the high school, and when I walked on campus I was thrilled to see that girls were wearing letterman's jackets with their own names on them, not their boyfriends'.  When I was on the tennis team in high school in the sixties, we didn't even get a letter.  Lately, the movies Frozen and Star Wars show ver;y powerful female leads.  I know my granddaughter is drinking in those messages, and at three shows some understanding of what we used to call girl power.  It's slow, it takes time, but I see change.

• Love 1

I guess you shouldn't get attached to characters with this show. They come and go quickly. I liked Gina. Sorry to her go.

But....I think it was a writer's set up as a reason to keep Leanne. I think the only people "safe" on the show are Momma and Daddy. Everyone else will come and go around them.

• Love 1

Regarding Malaya, there is also the possibility/probability that she was still in "Doctor Malaya" mode, instead of "Potential Victim" Malaya (sorry, I don't know her last name at the moment).  That would definitely affect her decision making.

• Love 1

I guess you shouldn't get attached to characters with this show. They come and go quickly. I liked Gina. Sorry to her go.

But....I think it was a writer's set up as a reason to keep Leanne. I think the only people "safe" on the show are Momma and Daddy. Everyone else will come and go around them.

I am glad Leanne is staying, but I would have preferred if the whole incident made her realize that she needs to stay as chief of the residents (or whatever her position is called).  Mike is good and he can stay, but Leanne would still be in charge.  

I just can't see Leanne being the one to enforce the rules in the ER.

• Love 2

I took that Model Mugging* course, where the padded man attacks you--in various simulated situations over the weeks--and you get to practice being loud and physically fighting back.  They were both much harder to do than you'd ever suppose. 

But concerning "femalethink," here's an interesting story from the MM instructor, who was also a karate teacher/black belt:  

Someone broke into her apartment and she was aware he was planning to rape her, but her first instinct was still:  Okay, I'm a fully trained professional. I should be able to take this guy down without hurting him.  She said it took her several seconds to realize, "WHY would I care about hurting THIS GUY?!" 

*Now called IMPACT, I believe.

• Love 1

I am glad Leanne is staying, but I would have preferred if the whole incident made her realize that she needs to stay as chief of the residents (or whatever her position is called).  Mike is good and he can stay, but Leanne would still be in charge.  

I'm pretty sure this is just their way of keeping Leanne around while making her a supporting player in the show MGH is supposed to be the lead of.  Because who wants certified Old People when you can have sexy young people at the forefront, because that's completely like any other medical drama airing on any other network.

• Love 3

I think it would be interesting if she is in the position of enforcing the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I love cowboy Leanne, but after a while I think it could get old. There's only so many rules she can break without too many consequences, imo. If she's the director of the ER, she would have more power than she had as a chief of residency (don't remember the name either) and I'd like to see what she would do with it.

She can be supportive of the doctors against the board (and they need it, it seems!) and give them some leeway; but learn to deal with responsibilities and see the other side of things, the realities of management. I think it also fits the evolution of the character since episode 12.

I don't think she's going to stay indefinitely in this position, they keep on name-dropping Taylor so I hope they'll get the actor back if there's a season 2; I think she's going to realize that she loves teaching, too, and is better on the field. But as a temporary arc, I'm definitely curious.

• Love 2

Interestingly, the actress herself would probably have handled the situation better. Read the first paragraph in Early Life and education.

• Love 1

Interestingly, the actress herself would probably have handled the situation better. Read the first paragraph in Early Life and education.

Awesome!  And what a gorgeous picture of her.  BTW:  Our karate instructor teaches to try and get out of a fight, first and foremost. 

• Love 1

I think it is safer for almost anyone to run, male or female.  You fight if you have too and you should know how, but walking into a fight when you can run seems to be of greater risk.  To me it is like if you are robbed and you fight for your stuff, it is just stuff.  You have to know when you should fight an when you should run. 

For Angus, I feel like if he would have run too after he fell on the guy, just took off like the guy would come after him, he would be better off as the guy would have bled out and Angus would be safe (even if there isn't video, what he did may eat him alive and destroy his life).  But because Angus could/would fight he flipped the guy over and saw the knife and knew he didn't have to run.  The whole thing is very interesting.

• Love 3

That is one pretty awesome human being. It's not enough that she is an actress, has a black belt and a Stanford degree in engineering, but she found a nonprofit organization as well helping people in India? Amazing!

• Love 5

Not on the recorded version on my DVR. I'm not going to re-watch the entire program, but 20-second skips of the show revealed only one scene between Mike and Angus, and that's when Mike acts like he knows what really happened. He wasn't on the scene in the parking garage. He just somehow knows. That was very puzzling to me.

Yes, thank you, it was puzzling to me too because if Angus told Mike, I completely missed how and when. I though that the last scene would reveal Mike bieng the first doctor on the scene and discovering what Angus was doing, but no.

• Love 1