Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E05: Week 5

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

So either 1) Olivia gets her rose taken away and the show wants to stretch her appearance out on the show by another week because everyone is talking about how crazy she is and will want to tune in to see what happens when she cries in the limo, or 2) she's not going anywhere and the show is doing what the show does.  I'm guessing #2.  Although interestingly, Wikipedia already has her eliminated.  I know that anyone can edit Wikipedia so perhaps it is just wishful thinking.

Was Olivia part of the catty cats that clutched their pearls over how Jubilee wouldn't "fit in" with the sawker moms (i.e. WHITE) at Ben's children's soccer games?  If so, doesn't the reaction of just about everyone around her show that Olivia isn't going to fit in with any moms anywhere?

Can't really comment on what is on Twitter. I don't know that people are upset that Ben sent Jubilee home because she is a "WOC" as someone put it, but people are probably upset that they are tired of the pretense that there is a chance for a "WOC."  With that being said, those that come on the show know somewhat what they are signing up for.  I would imagine that even the strongest of us think we can handle being away from real friends and family and living in this artificial world and being normal.  

The stress of "competing" for a man on top of the environmental conditions has got to be great, but unfortunately real or imagined, the producers decided for drama purposes to show an edit of Jubilee being treated unfairly by the other women....and Olivia too, however the portrayal of Olivia makes it seem more deserving.  Because of the manipulative edit, some of the audience sees a girl that is different, who went on there with her hopes up, only to be treated poorly by the other women when she seems sincere. They are reacting to her story and to that.  I am quite sure ( and some of the scenes not shown) that she was not as sulky, mopey and hard to get along with as she was shown, but I also believe that Olivia is not as crazy as she is being made out to be, and some of the others not as catty or sweet as they are being made to be. 

Just like the producers wanted to further the myth that black women are "abrupt, difficult to get along with, unstable, etc." posters want to foster the myth that the only reason people could like Jubilee or want her to stay is because she is a WOC, or that minority people feel entitled to things or like someone owes them something.   I say kudos to her for realizing this was not for her, kudos to Ben for ending the farce.  I cry foul, however, on casting, the producers (and probably Ben) for even pretending that she ever had a chance.  If she had come on and been grinning from ear to ear ( and being GRATEFUL) for every glance, she still would not have made it far.  Let's face it,anyone who wants to be the Bachelor also wants every girl there to be fawning over him , hanging on his every word and being happy to please him....with no criticism of him at all!  

If she was sincere about wanting to find someone, this is the best thing that could have happened to Jubilee, and she got two more trips out of it. I feel the same about the mathematician, lawyer, and the others that went home to real careers and some self esteem.   To be shown gossiping, tattling, etc. is not a good look for anyone.  Do they portray the men this way on the Bachelorette? 

I mean, what has she lost?  Most of these people don't survive in a relationship for the very reasons I stated above....love, romance and attraction created under artificial circumstances rarely last when tested in the "real" world. 

I agree that Jubilee wasn't right for the show, and it did seem like the show at least continued the pretense that a minority woman can win this show for much longer than usual.  (Granted, I haven't seen this show since the days of its infancy but still.)  I think the only way a minority woman will do well is if they find a Bachelor who truly is open to dating/marrying a woman who is not white.  But even then, racism is unfortunately alive still in 2016.  The reaction of all of the contestants that they didn't think it appropriate for corn fed Ben to have a black wife says it all.  I know that this show would never in a million years cast a black or Asian male as The Bachelor, but I could see them casting a Hispanic male and have more than the token 3 minorities among the contestants.

• Love 6

I think it was Lauren H, who I'm calling Lauren plain and tall. She's probably attractive IRL, but she's not photogenic at all. I'd peg her no younger than 32. Olivia? Same thing. She's not in her twenties. No way. I'll add JoJo, Twin, Becca, and Amanda to the questionable age list. I do think it's the shitty hair and make up that's aging in the case of Twin and Amanda.

From a very fast Google search on just one of these, I learned that Olivia started at TCU in August 2010, was in a sorority, graduated in 2014, so I am guessing she is no older than 24. One source: https://www.tcu360.com/2016/01/tcu-alumna-featured-in-the-bachelor-premiere/

I doubt the other women are much older, but I'll see what I can find out through my constant companion, Google.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

....I agree that Jubilee wasn't right for the show, and it did seem like the show at least continued the pretense that a minority woman can win this show for much longer than usual. (Granted, I haven't seen this show since the days of its infancy but still.) I think the only way a minority woman will do well is if they find a Bachelor who truly is open to dating/marrying a woman who is not white. But even then, racism is unfortunately alive still in 2016. The reaction of all of the contestants that they didn't think it appropriate for corn fed Ben to have a black wife says it all. I know that this show would never in a million years cast a black or Asian male as The Bachelor, but I could see them casting a Hispanic male and have more than the token 3 minorities among the contestants.

Well, there was Juan Pablo.

Both of my Midwestern (is that what "cornfed" means?) non-minority children (one girl, one boy) have very happy marriages to minority spouses. The Bachelor is a little behind the times.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 9

I have no idea how to tell who has extensions and who doesn't.  Are people just assuming that anyone with long blonde hair has extensions? or are there tell-tale signs?    

You mean like the extensions lying there beside the bed, on the table?  *LOL*  I'd say that's a pretty good indicator. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

I agree that Jubilee wasn't right for the show, and it did seem like the show at least continued the pretense that a minority woman can win this show for much longer than usual.  (Granted, I haven't seen this show since the days of its infancy but still.)  I think the only way a minority woman will do well is if they find a Bachelor who truly is open to dating/marrying a woman who is not white.  But even then, racism is unfortunately alive still in 2016.  The reaction of all of the contestants that they didn't think it appropriate for corn fed Ben to have a black wife says it all.  I know that this show would never in a million years cast a black or Asian male as The Bachelor, but I could see them casting a Hispanic male and have more than the token 3 minorities among the contestants.

Umm, a minority woman did "win"--Catherine was Filipino.  Does it only count if she's black?  And there was a Hispanic Bachelor, as noted above, the horrifying Juan Pablo.  Ali chose a Hispanic male as her "winner"--Roberto Martinez.

Edited by WhoAmIReally
  • Love 12

It was the last time they all saw Jubilee, when the girls were sitting on the couch at the end of the group date and Ben asked Jubilee if he could talk to her. The women were all concerned about it and noticed she didn't hold his hand when he reached it out to her. I don't think it was sarcastic.

Right I dont think she was either, I rewatched that scene and JoJo said ''Jubilee has kinda of closed off a little bit and she hasnt really been the outgoing, fun, bubbly Jubilee we all know''. So why didnt they ever air any of those scenes? The small bts/deleted scenes actually show a different side to Jubilee.

• Love 1

You mean like the extensions lying there beside the bed, on the table? *LOL* I'd say that's a pretty good indicator.

I missed the table hair. But to answer the original question, Hair extensions are often fuller on the bottom than natural long hair is. You can tell Lauren B has a finer texture, and the extensions are usually not fine due to being double processed. Her hair appears to be two textures. Also, when the hair is pulled back, you can see the attachments, or its pulled back in such a way as to hide the attachments and looks wiggy.

I think Becca has some, both Lauren's, definitely Amanda, probably JoJo and Twin. The only ones who seem au naturale are lLace, Olivia, Jami, Amber, Caila, and Rachel. I'm pretty sure the rest are wigging out. The wave pattern appears to be exactly the same on all of them.

Extensions don't fall like natural hair does, unless you pay for really good hair and have plenty of your own to blend. Britt was an example of really great extensions, and Carly is an example of awful extensions.

• Love 2

I love Lauren H - funny faces, retainer and all. To me, she's the most real girl there, even more so than frontrunner Lauren B who is professing undying "like" already. 

Wish she had a shot at being the next B'ette. She'd be as fun to watch as Jillian...

ETA: thought it was hysterical that the editors showcased a cricket prior to the group date - during which some of its brethren were featured crispy fried atop Ben and Olivia's entrée.

And, count me unimpressed with Jojo - which is gonna make it difficult to watch the next season of the B'ette if she's named to the role.

Oh, man - ETA again: Ben says on the way to the restaurant on the group cooking date , "Who doesn't like to eat food on a date? Answer: every contestant on the Bachelor or Bachelorette, ever! 

Edited by jette
  • Love 1

One thing I noticed when the women were confronting Olivia about the teen mom comment.... she started crying, and there's a quick shot of Lauren B crying. So it seemed that the three ladies "worked things out" or were touched by Olivia's apology. Anyone else see that?

Regarding the cooking event, why was Ben even supposed to be paired up with any of them? Jubilee and Olivia should have been paired and he should have just watched and sampled the food.  He doesn't play the team games when they have those contests, why would he be a participant in this?

It could have been as simple as they needed an even number for the challenge, the restaurant chefs were there to do the judging that the Bachelor might otherwise be doing, and he thought it would be fun. Didn't he say at one point "cooking is my jam.?"

There are some excellent posts about this episode.  I have a few things to add.   I don't understand the ga-ga about Ben, he has the same blank expression that many of the bachelors have had including Juan Pablo and Prince Farming.  Now, personally I liked Prince Farming about as much as any Bachelor but he "chose poorly" to quote Monte Python.

You mean Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade... ; )
  • Love 1

As for her sullen pouty routine it did look like she was upset throughout the show which I found annoying but this ep confirmed for me thats how the producers wanted to portray her, was I the only one confused/surprised when JoJo mentioned something about Jubilee being fun? Did they forget to edit out that part considering they spent the last five episodes making sure we never saw that side at all.

No you were not the only one. I noticed that too. That's just proof that the show edits situations the way they want them to be perceived. I saw a clip  of Jubilee dancing with the twins and some of the other girls were watching. Jubilee was in the middle with a twin on each side of her. The twins were trying to show her how to do that Irish step dance and she just kind of went into her own free style thing. It was very funny and quirky. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. Can't remember now where I saw it. If it was on the ABC site or twitter or where. It was early on in the competition. Anyway I think Jubilee started out just fine and being very social but the more intense it got and the more some of the women's personalities and cattiness emerged she reverted back to her insecurities and put up her wall. She really wasn't cut out for this type of competition and her wanting more time and assurances from Ben was IRL perfectly normal but on this show not so much. Also I think if Ben had been more into her he would have been more willing to give it more time and that last conversation would have went differently.

I see a lot of dislike for Emily's actions in talking to Ben about Olivia. I don't see it that way and I think she is one of the more genuine of the women. A little immature and naive sure but I think she honestly was offended and fed up with Olivia's actions. It just shows she has a kind heart that even though she knew she stood a chance of making Ben mad and making a bad impression (as she stated) she didn't care. I think she saw it as enough was enough and Olivia had finally stepped over the line. Also the clip it showed at the end of her and Lauren B and the tequila shot really showed them both in a good light. It was a real moment and was more telling of both their personalities. Kind of like a big sister/little sister moment.

Lauren B is really killing this competition. She's handling every situation perfectly. Doesn't get involved in the drama and squabbles, has good relations with all the other women and most importantly she's showing just the right amount of interest in Ben. Being involved but a little aloof and not clingy. Which just makes Ben want her more. If she isn't the final one I will be shocked. 

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 5

I'm having trouble telling some of them apart. I blame it on the stupid extensions, center parted, with the "beachy" waves. Is Leah teen mom? Or is teen mom the Tenly looking one?

I always have a hard time telling everyone apart (especially on the bachelorette) but this season has been more difficult than most. I have no idea what Lauren H, B, or Amanda (I know she´s the mom so when she´s talking about the kids I get like a "oh yeah" moment) look like, unless I happen to see their names on screen (and I only watch this show while I focus more on other things). I didn´t know there was a Leah too, so add her to the group I don´t recognize. I have no problem with Olivia, Jo-Jo, Becca or Emily (the twins got familiar for me in the last ep). Jo-Jo reminds me of Aria on Pretty little liars, I think she´s really cute. One of the unrecognizable ones says like, like every other word, like 5 times every like sentence, so like I just like hate that and like can´t stand her. I have a feeling that she´s Lauren B but I can´t be sure. I know that can´t be Lauren H, she´s not that pretty but she´seems smart.

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 2

Well, there was Juan Pablo.

Both of my Midwestern (is that what "cornfed" means?) non-minority children (one girl, one boy) have very happy marriages to minority spouses. The Bachelor is a little behind the times.

The Midwest has the smallest percentage of minorities of all the regions in the country. I do think a lot of these small town bachelors come from all white towns.

• Love 1

I just learned to recognize Jennifer and Lauren H, so I was feeling pretty smug that I finally knew everyone, but there's a Leah?!? Really? Is she one of those background characters that we've never (rarely?) heard speak? Any other hidden 'ettes that I should know about?

• Love 3

Thinking of more minority "winners", we had Mary Delgado, who won the heart of Byron (and was later arrested for domestic violence); Tessa Horst, who I believe was half Chinese(?), chosen by Andy Baldwin, who later dated Marla Maples (Trump's ex); and Shayne Lamas (Lorenzo Lamas' daughter, so part Hispanic).  Sorry to be the minority bean counter, I just got curious.

Oh, and wasn't our beloved Clare, who was slut-shamed by Juan Pablo and had to resort to talking to racoons, also half Mexican?  Not a winner in the truest sense (although avoiding Juan Pablo was a win), but a winner in my book, as I really liked her.

Edited by WhoAmIReally
  • Love 3

I wanted to add, I thought Ben was  mean and pretty weak when talking to Jubilee. He wanted her to say she wanted to leave and didn't want the responsibility. He wanted to get off easy like he did with Lace. And when she didn't want to hold his hand and he asked her how she thinks that made him feel, I got such an icky vibe from him. Poor Ben, you are only the center of the world for 10 women instead of 11? I know it's part of the game that they share him but he seemed more aware of feelings in other interactions with the women. 

I also wish Emily had been able to articulate her thoughts on how Olivia was acting.  She came across as a brat by calling it bullying. She probably has a point but Ben wouldn't take it seriously when it's presented like that. 

Has anyone ever refused when they are asked if they can steal him for a minute?

• Love 6

I disagree with you because in all of your posts you give Jubilee the benefit of the doubt, but you do not afford Ben or the producers that same benefit. You seem convinced that Ben was full of shit regarding his feelings for Jubilee, and I can't sign off on that. Why couldn't Ben have genuinely liked Jubilee?

You seem to be as confused about the purpose of this board as Jubilee was about the premise of the show as stated by some.  My goal is not to convince you or anyone else to "sign off" on anything.  My sole purpose is to post what I think and feel from watching the show, as you are also entitled to do. I am not trying to change anyone's mind, just call it as I interpreted it and how it make me feel.  I honestly admitted I have rarely watched the show, and didn't even watch this episode. I don't pretend to be an expert on the Bachelor, Ben, Jubilee or anything else.  I am in my own opinion, however, capable of recognizing when I think there are agendas or manipulation at play.  I believe I also stated she (and others) knew what they signed up for, and probably thought they could handle it.  Clearly (assuming she is also not acting or has an agenda) she could not, but I also don't believe what we were shown was the sum total of her experience, or am I naive enough to believe that the ENTIRE time she never smiled, engaged in activities, jokes , etc. with the other women any more than I believe Amber? was so desperate, or Olivia is so crazy. 

Going back to the manipulation, however, if what we were shown was anywhere close to accurate, many people would pull away from women that acted they way they did in episode 3 with the things they were saying about her....if that "glimpse" of what we saw was anywhere close to what happened all the time I can see how ( not WHY) she became insecure as a 24 year old.   If anything the whole experience just convinced me that they are all (including Ben) very young and inexperienced.  And I also include the Olivia situation and the women's reaction to it in that statement. 

Happy watching! 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 4

Sorry, Olivia, but you look way older than 23.

Amanda thought it was a good idea to have a second child in a troubled relationship...something weird about her story. Also, the ombré hair color thing is, like, so 3 years ago.

Emily is way to young to be considering this show and an engagement.

Jubilee is beautiful, but complicated = high maintenance. I'd run from anyone who told me that. Way too much work to maintain a complicated relationship for the long term.

Ben is an adorable Bachelor. He's smitten with Lauren b.

I really like the dates this season. They're romantic and fun. I never really like the pig chasing, mud wrestling dates.

Edited by Paddywagon
  • Love 2

As I've heard it used, "cornfed" means large(not necessarily fat, could be just just tall and strong), white, and Midwestern. It's usually used in a weirdly sexual way, by people who find such a profile attractive. I don't think anyone on the show right now is cornfed except for Lauren H. Chris from last season was also cornfed. I think it is also unfair to assume that cornfed people automatically wouldn't consider black or other minority partners. For what it's worth, to shoehorn this into being on topic, I think Ben was sincerely very interested in Jubilee but it just didn't work out because the show wasn't working for her and she was pulling away. I think she was the only person besides Lauren B that he seemed to have both friendship and sexual chemistry with. With the rest, it's one or the other.

• Love 4

Although Ben obviously has chemistry with Jojo...  he is clearly over the moon for Lauren B.  Who wouldn't be?  I have a serious girl crush, she is just the cutest.  I feel like with the exception of Jojo, and maaaaaybe Caila, Ben would send all these women home and just date her if he could.  

Something weird going on with Olivia -- either he has been told he has to keep her around and give her roses, or they are not showing us the moments where he doesn't look at her with a confused/disgusted look on his face.  Because that is all I see! 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 3

I wanted to add, I thought Ben was  mean and pretty weak when talking to Jubilee. He wanted her to say she wanted to leave and didn't want the responsibility. He wanted to get off easy like he did with Lace. And when she didn't want to hold his hand and he asked her how she thinks that made him feel, I got such an icky vibe from him. Poor Ben, you are only the center of the world for 10 women instead of 11? I know it's part of the game that they share him but he seemed more aware of feelings in other interactions with the women. 

I completely agree with this. And I think part of the nastiness was because Jubilee forced Ben to be honest when it wasn't on his terms. He tries very hard to say and do all the right things - part of the reason he's compatible with Lauren B. She seems like she tries to do the same. And in this instance, if Jubilee had excused herself it would have been a win for Ben. However, she is very perceptive, and she made him say what he was feeling. It's clear Ben knows who he likes and is simply "playing the game" with the others. Jubilee bucked his plan.

• Love 10

Has anyone saw any clips or instances where Olivia interacted with the other women on a friendly companionable level? Because I'm wondering how much of her craziness is editing or real. We know they edit as they see fit but I have a hard time believing that anyone would purposely act like this at the producers whim. Which means she's either really that delusional and crazy, being paid to act, or not being paid but foolishly playing for the cameras at the hopes of some elusive fame.

If we're to believe they did selective editing of Jubilee (as evidenced by JoJo's comment of Jubilee not being her normal fun self and I saw a clip myself of her having fun with some of the girls) then it would stand to reason their doing the same with Olivia. But I have yet to see any footage of her being anything but condescending, smug and delusional. Why would she be playing a character that makes her look so bad? She had a good career. Why would she jeopardize her credibility? Which brings up another question. If she's not acting how did she make it this far in her career with her screwed way of thinking? I can't imagine what it would have been like to work with her. Then again maybe she quit her job because her behavior put her on bad terms with her employer and she saw the writing on the wall. Who knows?

It's so easy to dislike her and comment so but not so much if her faults and flaws are being manipulated and overdone by production. It's just puzzling to me.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 2

?...

Also, how has Emily gotten to the ripe old age of 23 without having done a tequila shot? EVER? Not even ONE? She does come across as about 16, so maybe that's why. I did love Lauren B. in that scene. I wish they'd show the outtakes all the time instead of the scripted/edited scenes.

For the record, I am near 60 and haven't done a tequila shot yet.

I can buy the 'to be continued' stuff if and only if Ben takes Olivia's rose back and sends her packing. Since it would be the first time in the history of the show, the delay would make it very worthwhile. She has been just awful.

• Love 4

I'm from the Midwest as well, and since I was the one who first said "corn fed", let me clarify that I don't associate any negative connotation with it. To me, a guy who is "corn fed" is a Midwestern boy from a small town or farm who has that healthy, strong, and above all, wholesome look. It certainly doesn't imply being plump or overweight. Ben is the kind of guy I would associate with "corn fed".

• Love 7

Quote: "I love Lauren H - funny faces, retainer and all. To me, she's the most real girl there."

So, I'm NOT the only one who likes Lauren H! I also don't get the "homely" comments at all. I think she is very, very cute.

• Love 3

Quote: "I love Lauren H - funny faces, retainer and all. To me, she's the most real girl there."

So, I'm NOT the only one who likes Lauren H! I also don't get the "homely" comments at all. I think she is very, very cute.

Me, too, although I do have a feeling she's one of those people who looks a lot better in person than (usually) on camera. I loved her laughing at herself and posing after-the-fact makeup free, with retainer, hair a mess, for the Bachelor cameras. A sense of humor--and not taking yourself too seriously--is very attractive, I always think, whether in a woman or a man.

Plus, if the runway had been part of a group date, she very well could have been a winner. She fit in beautifully with the other models (and I loved that coat!)

• Love 6

I thought Olivia's intention in making the "teen mom"  comment was a little different.   Amanda was complaining about her ex taking the kids on the weekend, and only keeping them until Saturday morning.   I thought Olivia was commiserating, as in "he sounds like one of those douchebags on Teen Mom", not saying Amanda was like someone from the show. 

Anyway -  Last season, I had an immediate liking for Kelsey, she seemed fun and smart, and then she was batshit crazy.  This season,  I had the same reaction to Lace - she looks like Sarah Silverman, she's funny, smart, different.   Then SHE showed her crazy side. 

So - do I just have a thing for women with short dark hair and mental illness?

• Love 7

Has anyone saw any clips or instances where Olivia interacted with the other women on a friendly companionable level? Because I'm wondering how much of her craziness is editing or real. We know they edit as they see fit but I have a hard time believing that anyone would purposely act like this at the producers whim. Which means she's either really that delusional and crazy, being paid to act, or not being paid but foolishly playing for the cameras at the hopes of some elusive fame.

If we're to believe they did selective editing of Jubilee (as evidenced by JoJo's comment of Jubilee not being her normal fun self and I saw a clip myself of her having fun with some of the girls) then it would stand to reason their doing the same with Olivia. But I have yet to see any footage of her being anything but condescending, smug and delusional. Why would she be playing a character that makes her look so bad? She had a good career. Why would she jeopardize her credibility? Which brings up another question. If she's not acting how did she make it this far in her career with her screwed way of thinking? I can't imagine what it would have been like to work with her. Then again maybe she quit her job because her behavior put her on bad terms with her employer and she saw the writing on the wall. Who knows?

It's so easy to dislike her and comment so but not so much if her faults and flaws are being manipulated and overdone by production. It's just puzzling to me.

It is really hard to know as they could be making a story out of thin air. Remember Michelle Money from I think, Brad's season? They painted her as the shark and then in the After the Final Rose show, all the women said she was great; really funny, did their hair etc...

I was bummed to see Jubilee go. I don't think she would have made it all the way (or that she even wanted to) but she and Ben did have chemistry on their date. A lot more than Lauren H or Jennifer. Speaking of Lauren H, I think she might be the next Bachelorette.

Someone else mentioned this already, but I would have been so unhappy to share a bed with another contestant. After fighting over the same guy on a game show all day, at the end of that day I'd need my space!

• Love 4

I'm bummed that Jubilee went home, but in the end this really did not seem like the reality show for her. She acted basically how I think I would act in this situation - constantly anxious about any attention towards the other women, constantly comparing myself to the other women, getting self-conscious and pulling back, not really wanting to go through the motions of holding hands and whatever if I'm worried that he's not really into it, etc etc etc. Which is why it was probably good for her to go home at this point - I don't think you can really do a show like this if you have that kind of anxiety or self-consciousness. Jubilee, go home and meet a nice, normal guy in a nice, normal way.

In other news, who the hell is Leah? Where did she come from? I don't remember ever seeing her before. I thought for a moment they'd brought in a new contestant halfway through the season.

In other news, who the hell is Leah? Where did she come from? I don't remember ever seeing her before. I thought for a moment they'd brought in a new contestant halfway through the season.

She's the one who introduced herself to Ben by turning around, bending over, hiking up her evening dress, and passing him a football between her legs. I thought that was an unflattering look and that she wouldn't last past the first night, but she's still here, so what do I know.

• Love 5

I like Jubilee and thought she would be an interesting bachelorette, but after last night, I don't think she could pull off doing The Bachelorette. After the way she acted with Ben in a group setting I'm not sure she would be able to handle the 25 or so guys with confidence and poise.

In the contrary, the "I don't like to be overshadowed" line could be used to promote her to the Bachelorette. What more would such a girl ask than 25 guys chasing her and her being the center of attention? I think she'd do great and honestly I'd love to see a black woman being the bachelorette.

• Love 5

Oh, boy. Bummed out that Jubilee is gone. I thought Ben's edge of anger - you didn't want to hold my hand! (and then his neck going a bit red and ropy)  how do you think that made me feel??! - was a MAJOR RED FLAG!

Lucky escape, Jubes.

Plus, his main adjective for a woman he approves of is 'sweet'. Eesh. At least his hair has grown back at the sides.

I could care less about chemistry-filled like-using air hostess Lauren B (who Ben calls 'sweet'), or Teen Mom ('so sweet'), who reminds me of an actress auditioning for the Glass Menagerie.

I went off JoJo (who, I am so old, reminds me of the adorable Bernadette Peters) when she did some bitchy two-faced moves to Jubilee a few eps back. Caila the no-doubt very sweet 'sex panther' is another like-machine and bores me to tears. And the rest are filler!

Thank God for Olivia, therefore, to provide a bit of 'drama' before he proposes to Lauren B. My only hope for this season holding any interest, therefore, is (a) if I can learn to forgive JoJo and (b) she does something to de-hypnotise him from the sex chicken.

• Love 2

Not in this thread but people have remarked that it's sketchy that Amanda and her husband divorced right after their second child was born. Why, exactly? If it had been the old comedy scenario in a white woman with a white husband gives birth to a biracial baby, then OK. But their daughters look the same.

Past contestants have talked about putting on the "Bachelor 15" during filming. I really saw it on Lauren B. this week.

Jubilee's "unlovable" lament was a transparent Bachelorette bid. She'd never mentioned that specific insecurity.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 3

Not in this thread but people have remarked that it's sketchy that Amanda and her husband divorced right after their second child was born. Why, exactly? If it had been the old comedy scenario in a white woman with a white husband gives birth to a biracial baby, then OK. But their daughters look the same.

I think the whole situation is just sketchy. She got pregnant again when the marriage was already failing. It wasn't clarified if the pregnancy was intentional or an accident, or "an accident". She said things went downhill fast after that, so I have a feeling the ex wasn't necessarily thrilled with another addition to the family. He's probably the one the paying for the kids while she left them with her mom for weeks (months?) to go galavanting around. Then she throws him under the bus on national television. He might've been a sucky husband, but he's still the father of her children and he didn't sign up for this show. Eh, not impressed with Amanda. Her botoxed forehead also distracts me even more than her overuse of "like". 

I find Lauren H utterly annoying. She's got great legs though, so I can see why she was chosen for that date. No chemistry there, fortunately.

I don't think Ben handled the Jubilee situation as well as he could've, but I also think she self-sabotaged big time. I think he did enjoy his time with her on their date, but since then she's just been putting herself down and looking for reassurance. That's not attractive after a while and this week she seemed hostile as well as insecure. I think he was truly frustrated with her pessimism and decided to put a stop to it. She frustrates me as well. She's a gorgeous smart woman with a lot going for her, yet she keeps undermining herself. I saw she tweeted Becca saying "girls like you will always finish first before me". That is just pathetic. Get it together, woman!

Olivia annoys me, but I can't see her as a villain. Socially awkward and slightly deluded yes, but I don't think she's this evil person they're making her out to be. Emily was saying all kinds of horrible things about her all episode and then crying to Ben about Olivia "bullying" her. Right.... I also saw the Teen Mom comment as Olivia trying to relate to Amanda rather than insult her, but it was a really stupid thing to say of course.

• Love 5

Right I dont think she was either, I rewatched that scene and JoJo said ''Jubilee has kinda of closed off a little bit and she hasnt really been the outgoing, fun, bubbly Jubilee we all know''. So why didnt they ever air any of those scenes? The small bts/deleted scenes actually show a different side to Jubilee.

Because that was her "assigned" character. It's pretty well known that they definitely assign each girl to a "role". (not that the women know at that point). Villain, sweet girl, nut job, etc.

Also, Cinsays asked a few posts back why Ben was even part of the cooking competition. He was because what happened is exactly what they wanted to happen....more drama!

The only way I know who Leah is is that she reminds me totally of a young Jen Sheft (the winner of Andrew Firestone's season). I don't know if she has ever spoken though???

• Love 1

I think the whole situation is just sketchy. She got pregnant again when the marriage was already failing. It wasn't clarified if the pregnancy was intentional or an accident, or "an accident". She said things went downhill fast after that, so I have a feeling the ex wasn't necessarily thrilled with another addition to the family. He's probably the one the paying for the kids while she left them with her mom for weeks (months?) to go galavanting around. Then she throws him under the bus on national television. He might've been a sucky husband, but he's still the father of her children and he didn't sign up for this show. Eh, not impressed with Amanda. Her botoxed forehead also distracts me even more than her overuse of "like".

I don't know, I don't see what's so sketchy about it. Plenty of couples decide to have a child when they're going through rough patches, or make other big life decisions - I have a friend who's going through a rough time with her boyfriend and she keeps insisting that they MUST get engaged right now to save the relationship. People sometimes make dumb decisions thinking that it'll salvage a bad relationship. And if Amanda's the primary caregiver, I don't see what the difference is whether he "pays" for the kids or not while she's off taking a vacation, as long as the kids are being looked after. I mean, I think it's dumb to go on a reality show looking for a new husband/step father to your children, and I'm also side-eyeing the fact that she went there with no photos of her kids, but I don't really see how that makes her ex the sympathetic one in this situation, and I don't see why them having a kid while going through marriage difficulties is sketchy or means that the ex was unhappy with having another kid or something.

I do agree that it's kind of harsh to bring up her ex's issues and actions when he didn't sign up for any of this.

• Love 4

I don't think this is technically a spoiler, but months ago, Amanda's ex, Nick contacted the Reality Steve spoiler site when Steve identified Amanda as a contestant. Nick then instructed Steve to use his Instagram account, not his Linked in profile for future reference.  Yeah, that guy just HATES the attention.  He's identified as the baby daddy, and still wants to make sure that all of the women in Orange County know exactly how to hit him up.   He may not have "signed up" for this, but he's making sure he's getting something out of it.  

Jubilee's "unlovable" lament was a transparent Bachelorette bid. She'd never mentioned that specific insecurity.

In all of the seasons, I've never heard anyone, male or female, use that particular word when identifying a self doubt, until Ben last season with Kaitlyn.  Of course, I could have missed dozens of folks using the term, it just seemed a tad too coincidental to hear it from Jubilee.    

• Love 3

I don't think this is technically a spoiler, but months ago, Amanda's ex, Nick contacted the Reality Steve spoiler site when Steve identified Amanda as a contestant. Nick then instructed Steve to use his Instagram account, not his Linked in profile for future reference.  Yeah, that guy just HATES the attention.  He's identified as the baby daddy, and still wants to make sure that all of the women in Orange County know exactly how to hit him up.   He may not have "signed up" for this, but he's making sure he's getting something out of it. 

I saw it more like an early defensive move. I think someone who was following him on IG before he made it public, said he cleaned it up a lot and currently it's mostly pics of his kids. Clearly he knew what was coming since RS posted his details and he wanted people to see that he loves his kids, hence directing them to the IG account that is now all about his kids instead of his partying. Smart move, even if transparent. Had he not done that people would think he's a total deadbeat, which he isn't, even if he's not as involved in their lives as he should be. I just don't see what good it does to anyone, let alone the kids, that Amanda's airing his dirty laundry on TV. She said herself there were plenty of red flags, yet she married him and even decided to bring another kid into the mix. I'd have more sympathy if everything had been seemingly great and then she found out he cheated, but how she described the situation doesn't speak very highly of her decision-making skills. And all this happened in the last few years, not ages ago. Leaving the kids for weeks to go on a televised vacation is another questionable decision. It's not like she has any chance of being picked in the end, so it's just about the Z-list fame. I guess she can make a career out of shilling stuff on IG now. 

• Love 9
-Mexico City and vicinity are known for some of the worst air quality on Planet Earth due to weather, geography and a Third World nation that isn’t concerned with environmental niceties.  Jumping into a hot air balloon for an early-morning dose of smog seems something less than romantic.

Well, it's actually regular tourist attraction - I was actually just thinking about going to Mexico City and looking up things to do in the area, and hot air balloon rides over Teotihuacan seem pretty common. Plus, the site is out about an hour away from the city, so it's not like they took a hot air balloon ride over Mexico City itself.

I think Jubilee may have used "unlovable" (first in conversation with Ben) to try to establish a rapport with him. Don't know that it helped, but it didn't seem to hurt. Maybe that was a convenient way to speak at the end, too, or maybe she hoped it would make her more sympathetic.

People should think long and hard before going on a show like this. TPTB will take 100+ hours of film a week to "create" a character for you and shoehorn it into a storyline that fits into the two hour weekly arcs building to the ending they already know. Often, in this process, the "real person" gets sacrificed for the "character". I think that is what happened with Jubilee.

From what I could see this week, she seemed much less guarded with the women than we'd been led to believe, looked friendly and nice in almost every shot, and was trying to bring some humor (often at her own expense) in her Talking Heads (surely at producer prodding to talk more about her insecurities). Even forced to share a BED with Olivia, the producers apparently failed to provoke her to say anything particularly critical of her (she seemed mostly resigned to Olivia's aggression and success in getting extra time with Ben).

She obviously was feeling the same way a lot of us would have after having a great date with a guy you really like who seemed to like you a lot, too. So much potential then ... not only no more one on one dates with him, but you have to see him having an equally good time with other women (maybe an even better time). And you're surrounded 24/7 by women who feel just like you do about him--and with who he probably is developing even more feelings.

It's a crazy situation and I think the fakeness of it was getting to her (which is why she failed in the Spanish class to get the idea like Olivia did--WHATEVER chance you have to spend time with him, individual or group, you have to stay upbeat, happy to be with him and affectionate. She probably could have had the "insecurity talk" IF she hadn't also been rejecting him so much throughout the date (as it understandably felt to him that she was).

I think Jubilee seemed like a nice person and I wish the editors had let us see the person that JoJo talked about (at least that little comment was left in). That said, I think she shouldn't go on BiP and definitely shouldn't be TB-ette. Maybe she'll get a little redemption on TWTA but if I were her, I'd just stay away from the editors and maybe hope for love somewhere in "Bachelor Nation"--off camera.

ETA: Mexico City can be very smoggy, like any big city with a lot of traffic that is located in a basin, including Los Angeles. Like L.A. it's going to be worse in the summer (and, of course, can be unpredictable any time of year). Teotihuacan apparently is getting some smog these days, but its not much of a problem most of the time. Here's a blog from someone who recently went to a lot of the places that TB did.  They had some nice weather, including light on smog days. : http://www.uvm.edu/~dstratto/mexico/mexicocity.html  Personally, I'd try not to go in summer, but otherwise wouldn't worry about it. When I was there, I loved it. (Lost weight, too, due to the altitude). 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 5

How was the way Ben let go of Jubilee rude or disrespectful? She asked if he saw a future together and he said no I'm sorry, but i think it's best if we say goodbye. I personally liked that he actually said it with expression rather than the usual monotone phony nice bachelor who really could not care less about the person.

While i do think Ben is phony to an extent,( because let's be honest, the unlovable thing was ridiculous and there's just no way he's AS nice as hes portraying) ,at least he knows how to act on camera. Most of these other people on the show don't even have the sense to pretend to be normal human beings.

• Love 6