Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Mulder And Scully Meet The Were-Monster

The one thing that bothered me is that Mulder's ringtone is the show's theme, since that music shouldn't exist in this world.

My assumption was that his ringtone came from the X-Files movie in Hollywood A.D.  The one with Garry Shandling and Tea Leoni?  ;) 

• Love 14

I loved this episode and even though it was silly and campy at times, it just made me laugh. Loved when Mulder said to the motel manager that it was natural to expect a peeping tom at that sort of place. And the motel owner saying that he built the tunnels behind the rooms after 9-11. I howled with laughter. Long live the Xfiles!

• Love 6

I liked the premise of the episode: Lizardman minding his own business on the night of the full moon, gets bitten by a human and becomes a human.  I hope his hibernation cures him of this curse.

Guy Mann's observations on humans had that "fresh look with new eyes" appeal which the Solomons on 3rd Rock from the Sun had. Loved it!

• Love 4

This episode just struck me as being very silly. Not funny. Not clever. Not insightful. Just silly. 

The pacing and reactions seemed slow. David Duchovny appeared to be sleepwalking through every scene. 

I guess I am just not a fan of fan service...

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

I'm sorry, but I just can't with the comments from people who reveal that they never saw the series, or who cannot understand the relationships/mythologies/MOTW/canny stuff, etc., etc.... or that they only ever watched a few episodes. This show DEFINED AN ENTIRE GENERATION!!!!!!!

You don't have to be an "X-Phile" to understand, but you kinda hafta be a fan to at least "get" some of the more subtle- and not so subtle- references and nods.

Also, Mulder and Scully have never had any sense of happiness, so get over it.

That isn't fair to those who simply felt the original series wasn't for them AT THE TIME.  It wasn't my kind of TV show 20 years ago because I was into sitcoms and lighter fare. But it doesn't mean I didn't get some of the subtleties either because X-Files references were all over the place in the mid to late 90s (hi Simpsons episode!) Now with DVR and Netflix I can watch a lot more shows at my own pace.  And now due to watching the last few episodes, I'll start on the show from the beginning because I am intrigued by the mythology that lasted so many years. So instead of making a knock at those who making their way through it now because they didn't get it the first time, you should be happy in this new streaming world, it's pulling in pretty solid live ratings and hope Fox responds to green light more episodes?

• Love 15

"That isn't fair to those who simply felt the original series wasn't for them AT THE TIME.  It wasn't my kind of TV show 20 years ago because I was into sitcoms and lighter fare. But it doesn't mean I didn't get some of the subtleties either because X-Files references were all over the place in the mid to late 90s (hi Simpsons episode!) Now with DVR and Netflix I can watch a lot more shows at my own pace.  And now due to watching the last few episodes, I'll start on the show from the beginning because I am intrigued by the mythology that lasted so many years. So instead of making a knock at those who making their way through it now because they didn't get it the first time, you should be happy in this new streaming world, it's pulling in pretty solid live ratings and hope Fox responds to green light more episodes?"

Sorry, I should have clarified a little better. I'm aiming at the people who come into a forum to talk about one episode of a show that's been off the air for nearly 15 years, and they ADMIT that they never watched it and then complain about how they didn't get it? Why come in here and comments at all?
  • Love 2

I really loved this episode. So many great shout outs and tributes especially the way DD touched Kim Manners headstone, Respect.  So far Chris Carter and team have really done a great job of respecting the fans and what we loved so much about OG X-files.  Well done. Let's hope the ratings hold.

• Love 3

I loved it!  Rhys Darby was perfect as the lizard Guy Mann.  Laughed all the way through, thought both leads played comedy with deft hands! This is the X-Files I missed!  More please!!

And Queequeg!!! YAY!!!!  And Daggoo!!!  Moby-Dick references again!

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 1

That isn't fair to those who simply felt the original series wasn't for them AT THE TIME. It wasn't my kind of TV show 20 years ago because I was into sitcoms and lighter fare. But it doesn't mean I didn't get some of the subtleties either because X-Files references were all over the place in the mid to late 90s (hi Simpsons episode!) Now with DVR and Netflix I can watch a lot more shows at my own pace. And now due to watching the last few episodes, I'll start on the show from the beginning because I am intrigued by the mythology that lasted so many years. So instead of making a knock at those who making their way through it now because they didn't get it the first time, you should be happy in this new streaming world, it's pulling in pretty solid live ratings and hope Fox responds to green light more episodes?

Interesting to note that now DD seems to be on board for another series but GA sounds a bit hesitant.

Mr. Nutjob and I always disagree on these types of X-Files episodes--I love them, he hates them. He prefers the serious, spooky, scary stuff, whereas I love when they break it up with humor, so I felt this one fit right into classic XF. I loved how Mulder kept trying to get Guy to admit to killing people, and he never really did--he was an innocent, bug-eating lizard man all along. Ha!

I adored this! This has become my favorite series. Perfect for my sci-fi thirst. It was funny, campy and a surprise! I just smiled through it.

I never watched the original. Would watching the original ruin the current show for me do you think?

I adored this! This has become my favorite series. Perfect for my sci-fi thirst. It was funny, campy and a surprise! I just smiled through it.

I never watched the original. Would watching the original ruin the current show for me do you think?

No, of course it wouldn't. I'm glad that the series works for people who have never seen it, but for people like me who have lived/breathed it for 20 years and have seen every episode / movie multiple times, it works even better.  Last night's episode, though wildly entertaining on its own, was a complete wet kiss to the fans and referenced countless previous episodes, themes, and contributors. 

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 9

I was doing an X Files rewatch recently, and I kept thinking how different this show would be now in the age of smart phones, since they were never able to hold on to any evidence or take pictures or video. So I thought it very funny (and timely) to show just that very thing (even though Mulder and technology clearly don't mix). :) :) :) 

It was really great to see a Darin Morgan return to form episode. Sadly there were only four of them in the original run. 

• Love 1

Are you kidding? Watch the whole series from the beginning!

Sepinwall said this episode might justify the revival's existence. I don't know if I would go that far. There are precedents. Justice League animated series should have ended after the "Cadmus" arc and not gone on for another season but the episode "Great Brain Robbery" made it worth it. Also that one season of the original Twilight Zone where it went from half hour to an hour felt like most of the episodes were padded out except for "On Thursday We Leave For Home" which you could not have told in just 30 minutes. I loved "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were Monster" but I still want one other episode that's at least very good.

Speaking of serious shows that have comedy episodes Twilight Zone was noted for it. Of course it was an anthology but there were shows(mostly older) with continuity that had them like Star Trek and Bonanza. You could always tell if it's going to be a humorous episode of Bonanza because of the music and that Michael Landon would do more goofier expressions.

I like how Mulder having a mid-life crisis and I like the way his and Scully is now. Maybe having them get together was a mistake but I like that they close they are and are comfortable with each other and the history both of them have which is both professional and intimate.

I can't help rewatching Guy's fantasy about Scully. Gillian Anderson is even sexier now than she was back in the 90s! Apparently in Morgan's original script for Kolchak, it was Perri Reed(Gabrielle Union) and Kolchak saying "That. Did not happen." It's so much better with Anderson and Duchovny.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I loved it. I liked Mulder discovering the truth about certain things, and having it be a really dull reality; also his trying to get used to new technology. And Gillian Anderson really did look like she was having fun.

I laughed out loud at the guy's, "I don't want to go to work tomorrow!" and his adopting a dog, because animals are so much nicer to be around. 

• Love 1

Loved it a lot for all the reasons that have been stated here numerous times.

Darin Morgan has a true gift to combine the bizarre and the human condition. I wish he could write many more episodes.

Also loved the change of energy in Mulder and Scully. Mulder felt much more like his old self and Scully felt almost volatile.

Since both of their voices matched their energy level, I'm even more convinced now that the low and beaten down voices of the first two episodes were acting choices.

• Love 2

I loved it! Right up there with Jose Chung and Bad Blood. One complaint...the cemetery exposition was too long. Get back to Scully, I wanted to see her kick that guy's a$$ in the animal shelter. Gillian looked like she was trying to hold in her laughter for most of the autopsy scene, Mulder was being hilarious as a 4 year old shoving his artwork in his mom's face. Look mom, look mom!! I want bloopers for this episode so bad.

In no way does this reflect that I want sex scenes, but fer crying out loud...why are they still in separate motel rooms!?!? I had to turn the volume down on the creature's recollection of when Scully came to his cell phone store...teenage boy in the next room does not need to be hearing that. Writing has gotten gutsier that's for sure. Loud sex noises and Scully in a leopard bra! Sounds like someone perused fan fiction for that one.

I have the same right tone as Mulder, and I FINALLY GOT A MULDER IT'S ME MOMENT!! I really need to get my bingo card done, it would have been great for this ep. And the best line of ever, "yeah, this is how I like my Mulder". I can die happy now thankyouverymuch. Luckily I get to rewatch tonight with Mr. Phile.

• Love 6

I would watch the entire series if I wanted to enjoy this revival but...

there's no way to binge watch it at this point. Binge watching this show would just turn your head to mush with all the mythic arc stuff. A slower viewing of the show over the course of a few months would work. I find binge watching a show can really point out it's flaws. Amazing how many times Mulder got knocked out. He should have brain damage surpassing an NFL player at this point.

I was also a devoted X-phile when it first hit the airwaves so I can understand the fellow Philes who are deeply, deeply, DEEPLY (hee) offended by the new viewers who don't get the zeitgeist of the revival.

Last year I had the strangest conversation with a 25 year old at work who couldn't get the show and thought that Jose Chung was the WORST episode EVAH! I nearly dove across a desk to strangle her!!

Watching it 20 some odd years ago really was a great experience. The anticipation! The reversals! The villains! The monsters! The mood! The Paranoia! And of course, any time Darin Morgan's twisted but benign mind graced our airwaves.

Edited by MrsR

He's only in season 4 so far, but already my 16 year old's favorite episode is Jose Chung. I raised him well.

My only problem with newbie viewers complaining is when they can't be bothered to even spell Scully's freaking name correctly. Or Mulder's. Yes, I've seen my fair share of Skully and Moulder/Molder on FB comments. I have to stop reading those.

They're FBI agents again, and regardless of personal history, I suspect it would be improper for agents working on a case to sleep together.

"However, I must remind you this goes against the Bureau’s policy of male and female agents consorting in the same motel room while on assignment [yet we are in and out of each other's rooms on just about every case, and at the end of this one I will be casually packing up your suitcase for you]." -- Detour (with my supplementation)

So, just like old times.

• Love 3

I loved it in all of it's glorious silliness!

I was hoping Rhys Darby would be the were-monster, when I saw his name, and not only did I get my wish, he was also fantastic. Not that I had any doubt that he would be, because he is perfection in What We Do in the Shadows. "Were werewolves, not swear-wolves"

• Love 2

Yes! This is what I am talking about! I LOVE X-Files comedy episodes. Its one of the rare dramas to do really good "wacky" stuff, and this one might already be in my top five episodes ever. Just...so much to love!

I loved everything about Guy the lizard man. Especially after being so disappointed by that Chupacabra episode (just a dumb alien virus? Bullshit, I want my goat sucker!), it was great to see a real monster. Who, as it turns out, isn't really a monster at all.

Mulder vs. his phone app would be a great running gag. please become a running gag.

The confirmation of the existence of Jackalops makes me really happy for some reason. Man, the X-Files world is weird even without aliens.

I actually did binge the whole show leading up to this, and it was both good and bad. The conspiracy stuff and the myth arc do not work very well on a binge (its clear the writers had no clue where they were going, and were just pulling crackpot theories out of their asses, or primordial 90s chatrooms) , but the case of the week stuff is a lot of fun, as is seeing the development of the characters. I took several breaks to watch other shows, so that probably helped.

This was an episode that, to me, was a fun episode to show newbies who had never seen the original, but is also a love letter to fans who have seen the whole thing, with tons of call backs and shout outs and riffs on how things have changed since the original series, as well as what has stayed the same.   

• Love 2

Oh God I loved it.

I have always fangirled over Darin Morgan and his writing, and he did not disappoint. This was classic Morgan.

The hotel creeper was non other than Alex Diakun who also played a psychic that was murdered in Clyde Bruckman - so many great callbacks to that episode!

Loved seeing Tyler Labine too.

The portapotty had to be a callback to Morgan's time as the Flukeman lol. I just LOVED THIS.

I saw Ryan Beil's name in the credits, but didn't see him anywhere - turns out he was the transformed were-monster lol. (He used to do all the A&W commercials as Ryan the Trainee lol).

Overall ... this was classic quirky X-Files. People who get Darin Morgan are my people.

• Love 4

While I've first seen the first few seasons(I think about 5) when I was a teenager, I barely remembered anything about them (it wasn't such a definining experience for me as, say, Buffy), so I've rewatched the whole show a few years ago. It's definitely worth watching at least once. Even more, some of the episodes are really, really good (personally, Jose Chung's From Outer Space is one of my favorite TV episodes ever, period), and the show holds ups well even despite the monster of the week format (which very, very few shows have done well - either before or after) and generally inconsistent mythology. Also, both Scully and Mulders are well-realized, three-dimensional characters with great chemistry and strong performances by both actors. I think any genre fan should watch the show, and probably some other people as well.

He's only in season 4 so far, but already my 16 year old's favorite episode is Jose Chung. I raised him well.

You should be proud. But then, all really great TV should work on several levels, so it's no wonder. I mean, many people see just sillness and campiness with this one, and I see lots of meta and some rather deep thinking.

• Love 1

The pacing and reactions seemed slow. David Duchovny appeared to be sleepwalking through every scene. 

I did notice something along these lines once and it took me out of the episode.  In the cemetery, when Mulder heard Scully being attacked, I literally shouted at the screen ' shouldn't you be running to the car faster.'  To be fair though, I don't think it was DDs fault.  He looked like he was slo mo running.  There was nothing natural about it.  As I watched it, I was thinking it was one of those cases where they film at one speed and they are supposed to speed it up in editing.

Oh, and Mulder's speech at the hotel stating his hypothesis, Scully's scientific explanation of why its not true, and then rebutting his statement of Scully's position is the best thing to ever happen on this show.  This is how I like my X Files,

Edited by ParadoxLost

Being a natural pessimist, I do wonder if we we're given a wildly zany episode-even by X-Files standards-because the remaining few will be depressing as hell. The next one looks dark and sad, Babylon has some beautiful promos but that is heavily

AU

and the last episode supposedly ends on a big cliffhanger(thanks Chris). As long as it's not Scully or Mulder in peril, I'll be okay.

ETA: I've discovered the only thing more annoying than all the commercials last nite is the pimping of The Passion musical with Tyler Perry on the Fox website. Lord give me strength.

Edited by Tardislass

Hell, this was horrible!  They'll be flinging custard pies next.  I'm not going to bother with the next three.

Well, it will probably be banana cream pies. 

I did notice something along these lines once and it took me out of the episode.  In the cemetery, when Mulder heard Scully being attacked, I literally shouted at the screen ' shouldn't you be running to the car faster.'  To be fair though, I don't think it was DDs fault.  He looked like he was slo mo running.  There was nothing natural about it.  As I watched it, I was thinking it was one of those cases where they film at one speed and they are supposed to speed it up in editing.

I think it was more a bi-product that the car wasn't that far away and yet Mulder had a whole bit of dialogue to rattle off before getting into the car. While he was shouting into the phone he wasn't running at a full-on sprint. 

• Love 1
Well, it will probably be banana cream pies.

Ha - you beat me to it.

("You're looking down. You stepped in a pie that's fallen to the floor. The killer comes up to you and ... coconut cream ... Or is it lemon meringue?  It's hazy"

"Whatever, please continue."

"As you're looking down, he comes up with the knife and ... Banana cream!  Definitely banana cream.")

Edited by Bastet
It was really great to see a Darin Morgan return to form episode. Sadly there were only four of them in the original run.

I know it's not technically true, but I always think of him as writing 4 1/2 episodes, since he contributed so much to Quagmire, and it contains so many of his signature touches (including the stoners from this episode, and all the Moby Dick refs).

Hell, this was horrible!  They'll be flinging custard pies next.  I'm not going to bother with the next three.

I'd take key lime.

They finally perfected Scully's wig! Yeah!

It's your choice not to watch but it looks like we are back to normal dark stories for the rest of the series. 

Edited by Tardislass

"No one likes insects, not even other insects." -

All the human pressures..."haven't written my novel by now, I'm never going to write it you know" - still giggling (and, identifying)

Best things was his great taste in types of dogs - that is my favorite breed...No Dagoo - sniff.  

I loved this - so silly - such a nice change from all the torture and violence porn on so many other shows.  

• Love 5

Overall, didn't like this one .  The dialog was quite clever and the main characters were true to form,  the story line was boring.  Okay, so I always like the stories maintaining the arc, the conspiracy theory lines and didn't care much for the "monster of the week" shows --- especially don't like this one that had little connection with the emerging S10 arc.   

Even if the rest of the episodes are terrible, terrible things, the revival will have been worth it for this one.

Yep.  I have the feeling I'm going to need to remind myself of this after episode six, but I feel the same way -- whatever happens, I'll consider it better than going through life without the pure delight that is this episode.

Random subject change:  Piper drew the sketch of the three-eyed version of Guy, right?

Edited by Bastet