Type keyword(s) to search

The Goldmans And Browns Vs. The People Vs. OJ Simpson

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Tanya believes the choice to debut ACS on OJ and Nicole's wedding anniversary is not a coincidence.

I have to believe that a coincidence is exactly what it is. Of all the things people know about OJ and Nicole, I imagine the date of their anniversary doesn't rate very highly. More likely it is premiering in February due to sweeps. Granted, in today's TV landscape, sweeps don't have the importance they used to, but I do believe they still exist. That no doubt is why the show is premiering in February.

• Love 2

How much of a connection is there between the civil suit and OJ's stupid, desperate crime in Las Vegas. Was he fairly hard up for money at that point or was it just ego? Did <s>Ron</s> Fred Goldman eventually engineer OJ's downfall through entirely legal means. Because that is admirable.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

John Walsh used the loss of his son Adam to help start the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and became the host of America's Most Wanted, helping hundreds, if not thousands, of families avoid the pain his family did. Marc Klass used the murder of his daughter Polly to start a foundation to prevent other children from becoming victims of crime. Has Fred Goldman done anything useful with his grief? No; he only seems to be needling OJ for every penny he can get from him. I'm not saying Simpson didn't *deserve* to get needled, and I don't know how I would have handled the same situation. But maybe some of that anger could have been channeled in a more meaningful way.

• Love 2
Has Fred Goldman done anything useful with his grief? No; he only seems to be needling OJ for every penny he can get from him. I'm not saying Simpson didn't *deserve* to get needled, and I don't know how I would have handled the same situation. But maybe some of that anger could have been channeled in a more meaningful way.

I can't really judge Fred Goldman.  I can't imagine the hell that he went through in having his son murdered, then the whole thing turning into a giant spectacle that continues over twenty years later.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5

"Fred, who still will not use OJ's name and calls him merely "the killer," grumbles about the use of the Kardashian name as "an attention-getter" in the present day, saying it had no relevance then, which is a negative note a number of critics have sounded. "

One of the things that bother me about the Kardashian entertainment empire is that it's built on freeing a killer and the release of a sex tape. That family found a way to turn things that would be at least a little embarrassing for other people into lucrative careers.

• Love 8

How much of a connection is there between the civil suit and OJ's stupid, desperate crime in Las Vegas. Was he fairly hard up for money at that point or was it just ego? Did Ron Goldman eventually engineer OJ's downfall through entirely legal means. Because that is admirable.

OJ was heard on tape saying that he wanted his memorabilia back so that the Goldmans, to whom he referred as "the gold diggers" could not get their hands on it.  He was in financial straits, thanks, no small part to Fred Goldman.  When the Goldman and Brown  families won a $33.5 million dollar wrongful death suit, Simpson stated, emphatically, that he had no intentions of paying it because he was innocent.  Fred Goldman pursued his assets doggedly.  Mr. Goldman may not have engineered OJ's downfall, but he certainly created the atmosphere of desperation in that Las Vegas hotel room. 

• Love 3

I feel bad for the Goldmans. It's pretty clear that the public rehashing stirs up anxiety for all involved. That said, Ron Goldman doesn't know everything that went on behind closed doors and he is unable (rightfully so) to separate from his bias. Hopefully it will be a good and truthful telling. Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet, 20 years is a long time for Hollywood to wait. The Casey Anthony mad for TV movie was out within months of her acquittal. 

I did find it odd that Nicole's sister didn't want to be on stage with the Goldman's. She said that being with them (and vice versa I suppose) evokes bad memories. I wonder what kind of relationship the two families have had with each other, if any. 

I'm having a hard time with Travolta and Schwimmer in lead roles, Travolta especially, since he tends to ham it up. I'll be watching, so I'll reserve judgment. 

I never read the Toobin or any other book about the case, except OJ's If I Did it book, which I interpreted as a confession. 

Interesting that everyone who is involved or was involved in the case absolutely believes he is 100% guilty. Is there left anyone out there (besides OJ and his family) who think he didn't do it? I wonder if the jurors still believe he was innocent or if they now realize that jury nullification does not equal innocence. I'd be interested in hearing the POV of the folks who were celebrating in the streets when he was acquitted. Do they really still think he is innocent?

• Love 2

I couldn't figure out why Tonya Brown didn't want to be on stage with the others. It seems to me that the bad memories would be present either way. I wish that Dr. Phil would not give special treatment like that for anyone. Either be on the show or not. IIRC, the Brown family did something similar before on both the Oprah and Dr. Phil show.

It is interesting to me that both parties were upset that the series producers did not contact them.

The series is of interest because it tells the story from the lawyers POV. No one expects everything to be presented factually. I have always wanted to hear Judge Ito's take.

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 1
I feel bad for the Goldmans. It's pretty clear that the public rehashing stirs up anxiety for all involved. That said, Ron Goldman doesn't know everything that went on behind closed doors and he is unable (rightfully so) to separate from his bias.

Do you mean Fred Goldman? Ron Goldman is the guy who was murdered. Fred Goldman is Ron's father.

Do you mean Fred Goldman? Ron Goldman is the guy who was murdered. Fred Goldman is Ron's father.

Yes sorry. Fred. Jeez, I feel like I have been transported back in time, when all these people were on the TV all day. Fred looks exactly like he id 20 years ago. It's pretty amazing. 

• Love 1

Yes sorry. Fred. Jeez, I feel like I have been transported back in time, when all these people were on the TV all day. Fred looks exactly like he id 20 years ago. It's pretty amazing. 

Both the Goldmans have aged well, haven't they?  I wonder whatever happened to their foundation -- the Ron Goldman Foundation for Justice?  The website is now just an empty site.

• Love 1

Fred and Kim's pain seems as raw today as it did back during the trial. It must have been terribly frustrating to sit through that farce of a trial. The victims were like an afterthought.

The trial is historic in the sense, it began the trend of putting the cops and forensics on trial.

One thing I will never forget is the look on Robert Kardashian's face when the verdict was read. I actually think he was disappointed OJ was not convicted as he knew he was guilty without a doubt. The guy looked more devastated than the prosecution team. Would like to know what was behind that.

• Love 7

In fairness, I was the first person to make that mistake upthread. Sorry.