Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: 7 Seasons and Counting

(edited)

Didn't one of the howlers build a greenhouse out of spare parts in one episode?

My little urban postage stamp garden is over-full of veggies and herbs. I hate to see all that space unused when they could grow so much.

Edited by mimionthebeach

There's a lot of talk on this board about the J'Slaves, and how ridiculously overworked they are (and I agree), but it just occurred to me while reading this thread that the older boys were short-changed too.

Josh, JD, and (maybe) Joseph spent three years working on the TTH. I wonder if they ever even graduated from the SOTDRT. I remember JB talking about how educational the project was, and it probably would have been if it had been part of their education instead of all of it. It might have been more educational, too, if JB had brought in some actual professionals in the trades and allowed his sons to work alongside them.

• Love 5

I was watching an episode where Michelle said that one of the young boys, Justin(?)(I really can't tell any of them apart. I refer to them all as Rod and Todd Flanders) was a very good caretaker for Jordyn(?) Jennifer(?) whichever is the last kid before Josie. And we see Rod cradling and comforting the little girl who was just a baby, while Michelle did whatever with Josie. She complimented him on being so good with the baby and that they're on the same buddy team. I wonder who his older buddies are.

The only little boy I can distinguish from the others is James. He, the holder of the shittiest birthday ever episode where he not only celebrated his birthday in the NICU with Josie, but got the honor of selecting his birthday present from the hospital gift shop.

I believe it was Jackson. Michelle said he was good with the little ones. I don't think I caught the episode about James' birthday, but that's really heartbreaking. As if the kid didn't have a tough enough time already. :(

There's a lot of talk on this board about the J'Slaves, and how ridiculously overworked they are (and I agree), but it just occurred to me while reading this thread that the older boys were short-changed too.

Josh, JD, and (maybe) Joseph spent three years working on the TTH. I wonder if they ever even graduated from the SOTDRT. I remember JB talking about how educational the project was, and it probably would have been if it had been part of their education instead of all of it. It might have been more educational, too, if JB had brought in some actual professionals in the trades and allowed his sons to work alongside them.

I never really thought of this, though I don't know why. At least JD does have the motivation to go through on his dreams, like how he now has his pilot's license, or is at least in training. I would like  to see a little more of Joseph. I feel like we don't really see what he does most of the time. He's over 18, right? Maybe he works with or for JD.

I think it was Justin who made oatmeal for Jordan.  He's frequently seen helping out one of the younger children. 

I was happy to see John David finally taking flying lessons.  I hope he can keep his towing money separate and do some more things that he wants to do.

Well, remember Michelle did have the kids repeat purr-pen-dick-you-luhr to the camera in unison to show us how much they were learning.

• Love 2
I don't think I caught the episode about James' birthday, but that's really heartbreaking.

Was he the same kid who had to haggle over a price for his birthday present? I remember one kid doing that and I think he got a bike or something. Then JimBob also made a comment that it was good because the other kids could use it too? 

• Love 1
(edited)

(I really can't tell any of them apart. I refer to them all as Rod and Todd Flanders)

I can't stop laughing.  You're referring to Justin, who cares for Jordyn.  I call that kid "Orel Puppington."  It must just be something about him that reminds us of fundie cartoon boys.  Their older buddies are Jessa and Jeremiah, BTW.

Justin was also the one who had to haggle over his own birthday present at the pawn shop - first James tried to talk him into getting a trumpet because James wanted one, then I think he ended up buying some kind of ride-on toy that he was way too old for at JimBob's encouragement, because it would be good for the little girls (aka the only younger kids JimBob gives a shit about.)

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 1

I felt so bad for poor Jana in that epi where Josie had the seizure scare. She was stuck in the hospital day and night, but when her parents arrived they didn't even greet or acknowledge her in any way. Maybe I'm projecting, but I thought she seemed hurt. It was as if she were waiting for Michelle to say "how are you? you must be exhausted" or "thank you so much for staying with Josie," but nope, nothing. It really underscored how badly the J'Slaves are taken advantage of.

• Love 3

Ha, did you spot Michelle wearing coverall-type snow suit, in the episode where they were snowed in, and sled-riding on those old election signs? Caught you sort-of wearing pants, Michelle!

I know it's bad to say....but I'm sorry, those girls were not attractive until they hit like, 18. The little boys were friggin cute, but I think Josh was pretty smug in the moving special.

This is from a couple weeks ago but I had to comment and say I totally agree,and it's the exact opposite for the boys. The boys are really cute until the hit puberty, after puberty, not so much.

• Love 2

I just watched the epi where the Duggars meet their "biggest fan" Genessa, the poor kid with cancer.

When Michelle called her, Genessa could have cared less and flat out told her grandmother that she wasn't feeling well enough to sit in the car for two and a half hours to meet Michelle. Apparently that didn't matter because when our Favorite Famewhores are filming, Kid With Cancer must be there, chemo sickness be damned!

Naturally it didn't occur to the Duggars to go out of their way to visit a terminally ill child rather than the other way around. SMH.

• Love 7

I felt so bad for poor Jana in that epi where Josie had the seizure scare. She was stuck in the hospital day and night, but when her parents arrived they didn't even greet or acknowledge her in any way. Maybe I'm projecting, but I thought she seemed hurt. It was as if she were waiting for Michelle to say "how are you? you must be exhausted" or "thank you so much for staying with Josie," but nope, nothing. It really underscored how badly the J'Slaves are taken advantage of.

Jana didn't get a thank you because it was the expectation that Jana would take care of Josie no matter what. It's the same way that no one thanks a sick kid's mom/dad for taking care of him/her -- it's the mom/dad's job and if they didn't do it, who would. In this case in the real world, it wasn't Jana's job and she easily could have had the kid admitted, left her in the nurses' care and gone off to get a few hours of sleep with a "please call me during the night if anything changes," but she didn't because that's not how she is.

• Love 1

I just watched the epi where the Duggars meet their "biggest fan" Genessa, the poor kid with cancer.

When Michelle called her, Genessa could have cared less and flat out told her grandmother that she wasn't feeling well enough to sit in the car for two and a half hours to meet Michelle. Apparently that didn't matter because when our Favorite Famewhores are filming, Kid With Cancer must be there, chemo sickness be damned!

Naturally it didn't occur to the Duggars to go out of their way to visit a terminally ill child rather than the other way around. SMH.

That was such a downer episode, I could have smacked J'Chelle silly.

• Love 3

I missed that episode the first time around, but saw it today. I don't know if it's coincidence, or if TLC planned this, but today is the 10 year anniversary of Alex's death. Hopefully if it was planned, it was done so in the hopes it would inspire people to look up Alex's Lemonade Stand and make a donation and not just a crass way for TLC to capitalize on the name. It could be total coincidence though. 

• Love 1

While watching highlights of their favorite episodes it really struck me how Anna looks just like Michelle and that Michele has NEVER grown her vocabulary past neat and fun. 

Let's not forget special, precious, and blessing. 

• Love 4

And encourage! And invest!

I don't hate the Duggars. I am a Christian myself, and I think Christians often fall into a pattern of Christian speak. I can't even tell you the number of times I have heard the word "impact" used as a verb in church. Frequently by people who have real live master's degrees. It literally takes me out of what they are saying. Find a real verb.

Edited by Libby96

I'm having difficulty watching these throwbacks. I've watched the old specials and I can't believe how much I adored this family even back then. I take comfort in the fact that I was a young girl and didn't know better.

I am enjoying the random shots of present-day Duggars watching (when they show them in the corner of the screen as they watch the special). It's so awkward. The girls have smiles plastered to their faces, but it doesn't look real. I can only imagine they're remembering the outfits and how it was when there were 17 people living in a teensy house.

And Josh!! He certainly has changed, hasn't he? He's an eager McBeaver in the specials.

The evolution of this family over the last 10 years is so riveting.

Josh's wedding is on right now. The dialogue during JimBob's birds and bees talk with Josh is hilarious and awful. Josh: I think I know how it works. Then JimBob states that it's kind of like Legos!

I watched the wedding in shock and horror, I'm pretty sure I saw it initially... But must have had to block it out of my memory. The birds and the bees, the kissing talk with cousin Amy, and the vows that may as well have said "challenge accepted" to Michelle regarding family size, and the book on tape leaving the wedding... I just can't.

• Love 1

The modern day view points are kind of funny because the older girls (especially Jill) look really uncomfortable with what they are watching. The episode with the little girl with cancer was so depressing.  The little girl so obviously didn't want to be there, and could have cared less that the Duggars were there.

ttoally agree about the boys....they are so cute when they are little, then they hit puberty and something happens.  Exact opposite of the girls.

Edited by Ripley68

ttoally agree about the boys....they are so cute when they are little, then they hit puberty and something happens.  Exact opposite of the girls.

You know what's weird is I don't think the J'Slaves were remotely pretty as little girls or tweens, but I think Hannie, Jenny and Jordyn are stunning. 

• Love 2

I know it's petty, but whenever I see clips of Josh and Anna's wedding, I still can't get over how much the bodice of her wedding dress looked like a T-shirt. What was going on with that? I think the pictures we have seen of Jill's gown at least show that modest doesn't have to equal frumpy.

I know it's petty, but whenever I see clips of Josh and Anna's wedding, I still can't get over how much the bodice of her wedding dress looked like a T-shirt. What was going on with that? I think the pictures we have seen of Jill's gown at least show that modest doesn't have to equal frumpy.

Yes, it had basically nothing to make it pretty or interesting it all. The bodice of it was like a plain white blouse-if you cut off the rest of the dress you could have worn it with jeans, or those jean skirts they wear. LOL. And I agree, modest doesn't = frumpy.

Yes, it had basically nothing to make it pretty or interesting it all. The bodice of it was like a plain white blouse-if you cut off the rest of the dress you could have worn it with jeans, or those jean skirts they wear. LOL. And I agree, modest doesn't = frumpy.

I hope that's what she wanted but seriously there are ways to be modest and still look nice. Despite what the Duggars believe many brides do manage to pull of a modest but very pretty dress. I did like the bridesmaids dresses and I loved what they did with the flower girls. It really was a cute idea.  

Mr. Keller's comment about the wine still makes me laugh all these years later. I love how they try to explain all of the wine and drinking in the Bible. It wasn't really wine. Yes it was. Not only was it wine Jesus said so. Why of all people would you not believe him? I know religions especially one like there's is all no alcohol and that's fine. But it bugs me how they seem to forget the era of the Bible. In those times, the wine was the safest thing to drink. It really isn't until fairly recently that water was made safe enough to drink. But in those times? Definitely not safe.

I don't recall Keller's wine comments at, and don't have the channel to see old episodes.  I'll be holed up in temporary housing for about 8 months, this one with only a few cable channels.  None of which are TLC.  My house burned.

Anyway, your comment about Jesus and the wine got me to thinking that these folks follow the Old Testament literally and to a T.  But the New Testament, after the appearance of their Savior is explained away.  What's with that?  We Catholics are damned by them for not taking the Old Testament literally, but concentrating on the New Testament and ethics.  I think they are on a really odd, contradictory path.

• Love 3
I don't recall Keller's wine comments at, and don't have the channel to see old episodes.

At the wedding Jesus turned the drink into wine. Mr. Keller says it wasn't really wine it was grape juice. 

Anyway, your comment about Jesus and the wine got me to thinking that these folks follow the Old Testament literally and to a T.  But the New Testament, after the appearance of their Savior is explained away.  What's with that?  We Catholics are damned by them for not taking the Old Testament literally, but concentrating on the New Testament and ethics.  I think they are on a really odd, contradictory path.

I'm confused on why they need to explain away anything the their Savior did. To me that seems like a big no-no. They really are on an odd path especially since they do condemn others for not taking the Old Testament literally, but claim to be followers of Jesus. As followers, didn't they read the part where we don't need to follow the Old Testament rules anymore.  Why? Because Jesus said so. 

• Love 3

Ok, thanks for the explanation.  Grapefruit juice, huh.  It was darned clear to me Jesus turned water into WINE.  It really puzzles me why they do this follow the Old Testament and ignore the New.  At least they don't do the plural wives thing.

Thanks for the concern about the house.  It's a total loss and will be taken down to studs and all electrical replaced, and they wrote off all the contents.  I'm slowly getting clothes again, but no purse, so no money, debit or credit cards, drivers license etc.  The little trip to the credit union 125 mi up the coast that I was going to take with me dog today to obtain activation of the card they sent is not happening because my back was in spasms until about 9 this morning.  Now it just hurts.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.  Grapefruit juice, huh.  It was darned clear to me Jesus turned water into WINE.  It really puzzles me why they do this follow the Old Testament and ignore the New.  At least they don't do the plural wives thing.

Thanks for the concern about the house.  It's a total loss and will be taken down to studs and all electrical replaced, and they wrote off all the contents.  I'm slowly getting clothes again, but no purse, so no money, debit or credit cards, drivers license etc.  The little trip to the credit union 125 mi up the coast that I was going to take with me dog today to obtain activation of the card they sent is not happening because my back was in spasms until about 9 this morning.  Now it just hurts.

Oh my goodness, I only just realized reading this that it has just happened to you. I'm so sorry. I hope you have good people to help you sort it all out. 

• Love 3

((Hugs))

• Love 2

Oh holy hell...I saw the episode where Jim Bob's dad died...but not before JB had to wheel him out for his birthday. Based one the little I saw of his dad in previous episodes, you know that he had to have been pissed about being filmed like this. That poor man. That episode was SO uncomfortable! Why would they make a production out of his father's frail health and make it into an episode? You guys are not exaggerating about the Duggars exploiting anything and everything they can. What assholes.

• Love 2

I saw the episode where Jim Bob's dad died..

I hate that episode, too. IIRC, J'Chelle and Boob were very careful to talk about the fact that his death really wasn't going to be that sad, as he was going to get to be with Jesus. When they lost the baby and J'chelle was so bereft, I thought back to this episode and disliked her even more. 

• Love 2

That grates on  me, too.  Okay, I get that you can be sad for yourself while happy for the deceased, but they all seemed completely uncaring that Jimmy Lee had passed, like they wouldn't miss him at all.  Amy was the only one who seemed genuinely upset. 

• Love 1

IDk. I have been watching the old episodes, Dishing with the Duggars, and saw this episode and was horrified that they showed that poor Grandpa in the final days of his life. No respect at all for him IMO. I'll bet if that poor man had died during the day Boob would have had the filming crew film his last breathe. I thought it was awful that they filmed him in the coffin and had close up shots of the kids crying. And what was wrong with the Grandmother for letting this happen? They must not believe in dignity in death just the shows ratings. Disgusting!

• Love 4

I don't think Mrs. Duggar was in any state to micromanage filming.  Her husband of 50 years was dying while her asshole son and bitch of a daughter in law invited the Bates clan to descend upon the house - I don't blame her for not having the presence of mind to complain about the cameras.  Moreover, she seems pretty content to let JimBob do whatever the heck he wants - I really hope she doesn't feel like she has to submit to her own son because he's a man. 

I have wondered about Grandma. Does she have to now submit to Jim Bob because her husband is deceased? It would seem that she, having worked during her lifetime, owns property and 2 houses herself doesn't need to be financially supported by Jim Bob. Why does she continue to live there and put up with all that noise and serve Michelle? I can't see Michelle moving in with Josh in later years if JB passes on first and washing Anna's dirty laundry, cooking and cleaning for her. That would be worth a Duggar Update Episode many years from now that I would watch from the nursing home!

I watched an old episode earlier today. It was one where Michelle took Jim Bob to a Weight Watchers meeting. In it Michelle had, Jordyn I think, laying on her back next to her on the couch. Michelle was feeding her a green bean concoction. I can not think of a good reason for such a position. Nothing was said, was anything mentioned in another episode perhaps?

It's been much discussed, and they have been seen feeding other infants that way.  No one really knows why.

I'm just surprised it was Michelle feeding the child; by the time they're onto solids, she usually has them weaned and passed on to their buddy. 

• Love 1

I watched an old episode earlier today. It was one where Michelle took Jim Bob to a Weight Watchers meeting. In it Michelle had, Jordyn I think, laying on her back next to her on the couch. Michelle was feeding her a green bean concoction. I can not think of a good reason for such a position. Nothing was said, was anything mentioned in another episode perhaps?

Watching that one now!  It was a green bean and rice conconction she said and Jordyn was laying on her back completely flat and Michelle was putting way too much food in her mouth and almost all of it was coming back out..gross!!!  

Jim the cameraman had his 2 daughters on that episode...**cough cough***  homely comes to mind..wow!  And what were the Duggars serving on their buffet line, frozen pizzas and bagged salads!!

I need y'all's help with something I just think I saw... I'm watching the say yes to the dress episode, and I swear anna just said that they don't own Michelle's original wedding dress... But I also heard several accounts that Michelle's wedding dress was displayed at Jill's wedding... So now I'm confused did I mishear (very possible because the dogs chose that moment to bark at nothing and I'm in a room that can't rewind live tv) or was the dress displayed the vow renewal/say yes to the dress- dress? Can anyone help?

• Love 1

I need y'all's help with something I just think I saw... I'm watching the say yes to the dress episode, and I swear anna just said that they don't own Michelle's original wedding dress... But I also heard several accounts that Michelle's wedding dress was displayed at Jill's wedding... So now I'm confused did I mishear (very possible because the dogs chose that moment to bark at nothing and I'm in a room that can't rewind live tv) or was the dress displayed the vow renewal/say yes to the dress- dress? Can anyone help?

Here's the display at the wedding (you have to scroll down) http://blog.theknot.com/2014/06/23/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillards-wedding-see-rehearsal-dinner-ceremony-first-kiss-and-wedding-dress-pics/

And here's the vow renewal gown: http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2014/06/duggar-wedding-gowns.html

No clue on the not owning the gown part!

I was  watching the epi where they build the basketball court and I gotta say, I love Joy Anna. Girl was showing skills, skateboarding barefoot in a too-big (she kept hitching it up at the waist) floor-length skirt and still sunk a basket. I also loved that she scooping Boob in calling Josh and Anna to break the news about J'chelle's pregnancy.

I found the feeding of Jordyn flat on her back with her head almost hanging of the edge of the sofa odd. Is this a thing somewhere? I would think if you want the food to go down, makes sense to have the child oriented so the alimentary canal is working with gravity. 

• Love 2