Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Michele

Christmas Movies

On 12/23/2018 at 9:31 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Does anyone remember the 90s Nutcracker movie with Macauley Culkin? Dug it up on Netflix last week. It was the first version I ever saw as a kid and I liked it fine enough back then. But now that I've seen other productions...yeah, this wasn't the best one. It was obvious they only cast Macauley because of how big he was. Poor kid, he tried, but not the best ballet dancer.

Yeah, I recall that. Inasmuch as I always liked the music but thought the whole ballet anticlimactic after the Nutcracker's fight with the Mouse King  before Act One was even over, I didn't see it.

However, I had to laugh at the thought of an unknown number of Caulkin fans who may have eagerly rushed in to see this movie thinking that this was going to be a version of Home Alone in which Kevin  would  have  . . . cracked  others' nuts (and I'm not talking pecans here) only to be disappointed that it was a filmed ballet! 

Nobody  who appeared oncamera besides Culkin himself was even remotely known to film audiences (and even the leading girl Jessica Lynn Cohen who played the protagonist called Marie has never appeared in another movie).

However; it was narrated by Kevin Kline over the vigorous objections of Kit Culkin (Macauley's stage  and bio father and Bonnie Bedelia's brother) which initially was to be deleted as one of the elder Mr. Culkin's demands but wound up reinstated by the producers after the elder Culkin made so many other demands that the producers went with Mr. Kline's narration out of spite. Oh, but the younger still-minor Culkin wound up doing no publicity for this movie as per his father's dictums but evidently as an adult has been estranged from his male parent.  I'm not sure publicity could have saved this picture from winding up being a bomb! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, I recall that. Inasmuch as I always liked the music but thought the whole ballet anticlimactic after the Nutcracker's fight with the Mouse King  before Act One was even over, I didn't see it.

However, I had to laugh at the thought of an unknown number of Caulkin fans who may have eagerly rushed in to see this movie thinking that this was going to be a version of Home Alone in which Kevin  would  have  . . . cracked  others' nuts (and I'm not talking pecans here) only to be disappointed that it was a filmed ballet! 

Nobody  who appeared oncamera besides Culkin himself was even remotely known to film audiences (and even the leading girl Jessica Lynn Cohen who played the protagonist called Marie has never appeared in another movie).

However; it was narrated by Kevin Kline over the vigorous objections of Kit Culkin (Macauley's stage  and bio father and Bonnie Bedelia's brother) which initially was to be deleted as one of the elder Mr. Culkin's demands but wound up reinstated by the producers after the elder Culkin made so many other demands that the producers went with Mr. Kline's narration out of spite. Oh, but the younger still-minor Culkin wound up doing no publicity for this movie as per his father's dictums but evidently as an adult has been estranged from his male parent.  I'm not sure publicity could have saved this picture from winding up being a bomb! 

Geez, his dad really was an asshole. I thought Kevin Kline's narration was just fine.

• Like 2

Well, I started my "official" watch of Christmas movies last night with...

Trading Places! 

Tonight will resume with Home Alone. I'm saving the BEST for last, and that's Die-fucking-Hard!

"Yippee-Kai-Yay, Motherfucka!"

"I'm not the one who just got buttfucked on national tv!"🤣🤣

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm saving the BEST for last, and that's Die-fucking-Hard!

Not a Christmas movie MY ASS.

I watched Muppet Christmas Carol last night -- the BEST Christmas Carol -- and now I'm watching the second best one Scrooged right now. Then I'm watching Bad Santa.

I will watch Die Hard tomorrow as well, but Eddie Murphy on SNL has put me in the mood for Trading Places tonight.

Merry New Year @GHScorpiosRule!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

but Eddie Murphy on SNL has put me in the mood for Trading Places tonight.

That's what had me watching Trading Places first this year! It just brought home how much I miss seeing Eddie on teevee!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what had me watching Trading Places first this year! It just brought home how much I miss seeing Eddie on teevee!

I actually was hoping Dan Aykroyd would make a cameo on Eddie's SNL show just to do a follow up of Billy Ray and Louis. That would have made a great Cold Opening, given their aptitude at screwing over certain scummy rich people ;)

• Like 4

What's that you say? Thanksgiving is next week? It's time to whip out my Christmas movies!!!!

1. Die Hard (BEST Christmas movie EVAH!!!)
  2. Trading Places ("It was the Dukes! It was the Dukes!")
  3. Home Alone (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern getting their asses kicked!)

That's for this weekend, and also the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!

What?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What's that you say? Thanksgiving is next week? It's time to whip out my Christmas movies!!!!

What?

All great choices, and might I add Planes, Trains and Automobiles?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What?

Never seen Trading Places, and I hate Home Alone, but Die Hard is indeed the best Christmas movie in history.  It, the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol, and the Black Adder Christmas special are the three things I try to watch every year.  (And the original Grinch and Charlie Brown, of course - thank you PBS for making that last one possible this year.)

• Like 1

Just watched Last Christmas with Emilia Clarke and I liked it. Yeah the twist could be seen a million miles away but I don’t because it changed from a romcom to a story about her learning to take control of her life and stop finding excuses to be a victim.

Also Daddy’s Home 2 is now my guilty pleasure Christmas movie. Shut up! It was better than the first movie and the singalong at the theater was great! SHUT UP!

• Like 1