Type keyword(s) to search

American Gods in the Media

This show is dead to me now.

There was more bad than good in Season 2 and the people leaving the show are the best actors and taking the best characters with them.  

Top that off with racist bullshit in the casting process and I am so done with this trash.  And, yeah I'd say racist despite whatever reason they say (or even think) they're following because when you have a production as deeply troubled as this one, you do not jettison the few pieces that work in favor of the stuff that puts people to sleep, regardless of the source material.   

• Love 1

After reading the EW interview i now get why Orlando was so angry. This is more than an actor being fired. He took on a lot of responsibility to get S2 completed after the Showrunner was fired and the replacement showrunner didn't step up. There was an understanding that he'd have legit voice in the Writers room and he planned S3 and the new showrunner just tossed him out (probably a political/arrogance thing - this is my show now).

Sadly it looks like American Gods will end up a cautionary tale of what happens when you run through show runners.

• Love 4

I'm so appalled at the last round of news on this show that I don't expect to watch it in the future... But that hasn't stopped me from intermittently looking for news about it? Hate-researching? Is that a thing? 

Anyway, this is loads of casting for the new season - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/19/american-gods-season-3-ricky-whittle-introduces-his-daily-morning-treat-video/

I'm particularly struck by this :

"Guardiola's Oshun who is the Yoruban goddess of love, purity, fertility who uplifted and empowered the enslaved people who built America. While known as the maintainer of balance, and the mother of sweetness, Oshun is formidable and known for her spiritual strength. This season, Oshun and her fellow Orishas play a mysterious but vital role in Shadow's spiritual awakening."

And by :

Rheon's Doyle is a charming, good-natured leprechaun who once embraced his stereotypical Lucky Charms-St. Paddy's Day image now on a path to a more dignified and honorable existence."

They feel like a real rejection of Mr. Nancy's character  and Mad Sweeney's arc. 

• Love 1

I read that yesterday and I have to be honest I thought that was a shitty move by Orlando. I'm on his side and, have no intention of watching next season but, he should have talked it out in private or in person, IMO

• Love 1
(edited)
On 12/16/2019 at 11:12 AM, nodorothyparker said:

Orlando Jones opens up about American Gods firing: 'It was a blindside'

This EW piece reads like such a chaotic clusterfuck behind the scenes that I'm seriously at a loss as to what can even be said at this point.  We do get confirmation from Mousa Kraish who played the Jinn that both he and Salim are out too.

Mr. Nancy and Salim are gone, and not returning at a later point in the storyline? In the words of Emerson Cod, "Oh HELL No!"

Looks like my decision to cancel my subscription to STARZ won't be a temporary one as I'd intended.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I haven't decided whether I'm curious enough to take a look or not yet. I was mostly bored with this entire section of the book and I have some feelings about apparently subbing one leprechaun in for another as if they're interchangeable.

I love this section of the book and feel like it's very appropriate for This Fucking Year and particularly this shut-in winter. But I'm done with this show. The first season was pure magic and did the glorious work of taking a fine book and letting it grow to meet a new decade, the second season had a moment or two... But TPTB's comments about Mr. Nancy/Orlando Jones have the feel not just of sticking-head-firmly-in-ground but also of not having any clue why the first season was beautiful. And if they can't see that then they're definitely not going to be able to make a season I want to watch.  Just another swords and sorcerers show. Meh. 

• Love 1

As for me, my cable provider has dropped Starz from my package bundle and I don’t feel very inclined to cough up the additional premium channel charge to reacquire it - so I guess S3 will be going off without me.  The godawful delay between S2 and S3 has worked for me in that respect, though, because I stopped missing this show a LONG time ago.

• Love 3

A bunch of short promos and videos from Starz for the upcoming season

Shadow Moon's journey in S3

Mr. Wednesday's journey in S3

Mr. World's journey in S3

What's in store for S3

Bilquis' journey in S3

Salim's journey in S3

Marguerite's journey in S3

Laura's journey in S3

Cordelia's journey in S3

Technical boy's journey in S3

S3 in emojis

Hinzelmann's journey on S3

Liam Doyle's journey on S3

Mr. Ibis' journey on S3

The Lakeside clunker

Introducing Shard

We is power

Welcome to Lakeside

You think you know them

Gods walk among us

How to survive Lakeside

• Love 1

Marilyn Manson to be edited out of American Gods following  abuse allegations by Evan Racheal Wood. His record label dropped him and a Ca. State Senator has called for him to be investigated.

Info on the front page of this site! (link wouldn't imbed)

As an "American Gods" fan I have to say I felt a bit superior when that Super Bowl ad came on which showed Bruce Springstein at the chapel at the geographic center of the USA.  I thought "Hey!  It really exists!!!  Who knew?"  I had assumed Neil Gaiman made it up.  But then, I SHOULD have known.  Neil Gaiman has been open about how "American Gods" was inspired (in part) by all the weird road-side attractions he discovered on a drive across America.

(edited)
On 3/6/2021 at 7:09 PM, T Summer said:

It's getting pretty late in the season with ep 8 about to air and all. Shouldn't we have heard something about if there will be more? (or have I missed it?)

I've seen multiple people say that it was renewed for S4 back in June, but I haven't found any sources for that. (Considering what they went through to give the show a third season, and considering that things seem stable behind-the-scenes now, I could see Starz letting them have their final season, but we'll see.)

Edited by LaMatadita
Typos

American Gods Star Ricky Whittle Takes Over Bleeding Cool This Sunday

Want to ask Ricky Whittle a question about American Gods? He is going to be on Twitter on Sunday, March 21, starting at 3:30 pm PT/6:30 pm ET, you can head on over to Bleeding Cool's home on Twitter (@bleedingcool) as Whittle offers his thoughts on the third season and its finale, where the show's been and where it's heading, and a wide range of other topics. Best part? We want to hear from you! If you have a question for Whittle, just tweet your question with the hashtag #AGBCtakeover and on Sunday you can check in to see if it makes the cut. 

I just watched this interview with Ricky Whittle about American Gods season 3 and 4. It sounds like he'd been told there would be a season 4. Interestingly, even R.W. states Shadow was "void of personality, charisma  a shell of a man. He's broken." in s1,  when he discusses the   planned evolution for his character over the seasons.

He also states "I do know what's going to happen in a season 4"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxO43lNjtl0

Damn. He must have been as disappointed as the rest of us when he heard the news.

• Love 1