Type keyword(s) to search

American Gods in the Media

‘American Gods’ Showrunners Bryan Fuller, Michael Green Exit

Creators and executive producers on the series, Fuller and Green are said to be departing after clashing with producer FremantleMedia over budget and creative direction. Fuller and Green were said to have been pushing for an increase to the series’ budget for season two. Sources close to the production said that the per-episode budget for “American Gods” season two already nearly $10 million.

No replacement showrunner has yet been named

• Love 1

Ten. Million. Dollars.

AN EPISODE. That's....woah....

And that's not ENOUGH? They wanted MORE? 

Woah.....I'm flabbergasted. And more than a little miffed that the media is making out like Fremantle is the problem for not wanting to spend a hundred million dollars or more per season...yoikes that's an obscene amount of money.

• Love 5

Yeah they can demand that mutch Money if they get the Cult Following in the Scale of GoT.

But now ,i like the Show quite mutch but its not a Hit in that Scale,you need to be realistic.

If the clash was about the direction of there the Show should go,that i can undrstand but not about Money if the Budge is realy that high.

• Love 1

I got curious because that price tag seemed so high.

Looks like FX's Legion costs $4M/episode. Westworld costs $10M/episode and S8 of GoT costs $15M/episode. 

http://mashable.com/2017/09/28/game-of-thrones-episode-cost-budget-season-8/

When I first read it, I thought this was another case of AMC forcing Darabont out of The Walking Dead because they wanted to squeeze the show for profit and not increase the budget on their highest rated show.

However, looking at those numbers it seems like the EPs might have been asking too much, especially since American Gods isn't a smash hit.

• Love 4

Fuller should have spoken to the Wachowskis and Baz Luhrman if he wanted to spend money ratings didn't justify.

His shows are amazing, but he seems to be kind of...unwilling to compromise on things.  And sometimes that's not good.

• Love 2

I suspect Chenowith's phrase, "if they think I add value or not," is her way of letting the new showrunners know that they should not imagine they can reduce the budget on her tiny back.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2017 at 5:06 PM, starri said:

Fuller should have spoken to the Wachowskis and Baz Luhrman if he wanted to spend money ratings didn't justify.

His shows are amazing, but he seems to be kind of...unwilling to compromise on things.  And sometimes that's not good.

Hannibal was made on a relatively tiny budget and it ended up looking amazing despite that. Fuller's shows have always looked gorgeous even despite budget constraints. I doubt that the budget requests weren't necessary.

and the way Fremantle/Starz have played this is bonkers. To just let Green and Fuller walk without a succession plan? It's been over a month and they still haven't announced a new showrunner.

• Love 1

Gaiman will be the show runner along with a yet to be determined partner, someone with experience showrunning a TV show. But I read in another article that several experienced showrunners have turned them down because they don't want to follow Fuller and Green. Perhaps this is like Dan Harmon getting replaced on Community back in the day? Or out of loyalty to Bryan Fuller. Anyway, it's not looking good. I love this show. It was my favourite new show of the season - even better than Westworld IMHO.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-boss-talks-trouble-american-gods-exodus-1074427

1 hour ago, PreBabylonia said:

Gaiman will be the show runner along with a yet to be determined partner, someone with experience showrunning a TV show. But I read in another article that several experienced showrunners have turned them down because they don't want to follow Fuller and Green. Perhaps this is like Dan Harmon getting replaced on Community back in the day? Or out of loyalty to Bryan Fuller. Anyway, it's not looking good. I love this show. It was my favourite new show of the season - even better than Westworld IMHO.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-boss-talks-trouble-american-gods-exodus-1074427

I thought Gaiman said earlier that he’d be too busy showrunning on Good Omens to step in on American Gods.

also, “Addressing Fuller and Green specifically, Albrecht claimed that they were neither fired nor did they quit.” Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, but are they still getting paid and going to run the show? Cause if not, something between firing and quitting has occurred.

• Love 1

Anne and Christopher Rice have posted pictures of themselves with Brian Fuller on their social media along with their official announcement that he's onboard for the Vampire Chronicles adaptation.  They all seem pretty pleased with themselves. In listing Fuller's previous credits, there's no mention of American Gods at all.  So make of that what you will.

The only thing this debacle is doing is making me lose all respect for Fuller & Green.

Seriously. Making them look like greedy little pricks.

Ugh. Yet another show I obsessively loved turned out to be a one-season-wonder.

I hate hollywood more every passing day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hnygrl said:

The only thing this debacle is doing is making me lose all respect for Fuller & Green.

Seriously. Making them look like greedy little pricks.

Ugh. Yet another show I obsessively loved turned out to be a one-season-wonder.

I hate hollywood more every passing day.

Also, this is happening little more than a year after Fuller stepped down/was pushed out as showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery, another expensive series, basically because he had too much on his plate and show production was progressing too slowly (the premiere date was significantly pushed back at least twice, IIRC).

He's got a good rep, but I'm starting to see him lately as becoming too finicky, unfocused and unbending all at the same time -- not someone you'd want to take on a longer-term project like a TV series, especially a big-budget one. If the Vampire Chronicles project stumbles too, I wonder how many entertainment execs will still take his calls.

• Love 4

A replacement has been named.

Jesse Alexander--like Aaron Harbets and Gretchen Berg from Discovery--has worked with Fuller before.  Both on Hannibal and also on Discovery, although I believe his involvement with the latter did not extend much beyond the first batch of episodes, although the was involved in writing one of the best of those episodes.

So, relieved and cautiously optimistic?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, Notwisconsin said:

The problem with Fuller is that he doesn't get along with people. Apparently, he cannot do more than a season.

I think he gets along great with actors.  Not so much with the people in charge. And,  it sounds like it was more than money.  As was mentioned,  he did Hannibal on a relatively small budget. In fact,  most of his work has been for network television. I think it is because Gaiman wasn't happy, so he is gone. 

He won't last a season with Anne Rice.  If he thought Gaiman was difficult... 

I will definitely give the second season a chance.  Fuller is a genius,  but I can see where the network would want something with more mass appeal. 

I just wish someone would bring back "Pushing Daisies". 

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, CatMomma said:

He won't last a season with Anne Rice.  If he thought Gaiman was difficult... 

He's friends with Anne's son Christopher.  I think he knew what he was getting into.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, starri said:

He's friends with Anne's son Christopher.  I think he knew what he was getting into.

Yes,  I have never heard of friendships ending over creative differences. 

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 2

The Vampire Chronicles was picked up by Hulu this past week.  In making the announcement on social media, Christopher Rice also reported that they've already parted ways with Fuller.  So they're shopping for a new showrunner and Fuller is between projects, again.  They didn't even make it to the first season.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The Vampire Chronicles was picked up by Hulu this past week.  In making the announcement on social media, Christopher Rice also reported that they've already parted ways with Fuller.  So they're shopping for a new showrunner and Fuller is between projects, again.  They didn't even make it to the first season.

Shocking.

• Love 2

I follow Anne Rice on Facebook and while she didn't say anything about when he left, it looks to me like he didn't even last 2 months!  Nerdist says that he signed on early in the year but exited in February. He really can't stick to anything can he?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, Rahul said:

Starting to think? It's a foregone conclusion.

Mostly me being sarcastic.  It just makes me sad that someone who's been responsible for creating so many things that I've loved is apparently so mercurial.

• Love 1

Article referenced in the reports above:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-gods-sidelines-new-showrunner-delays-frustrations-1140946

A story of dueling gods. Season 1 had three power bases: network Starz, producer Freemantle (representing author Neil Gaiman) and showrunners Fuller and Green. The latter got squeezed out by both of the former, with Freemantle/Gaiman unhappy by how Fuller & Green's show expanded on the book, and Starz unhappy about how Season 1 ran far over budget, even when reduced on the fly from 10 to 8 episodes.

Season 2: Experienced potential new showrunners saw no upside in stepping into the aftermath. Of dealing with a network determined not to lose financial control again, and a producer equally determined to take back creative control. All for the end result of having their work unfavorably compared to Season 1, when Fuller had cash and clout the new showrunner would never see. Anyone willing to accept the job was not cut out to handle it.

• Love 3