Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

American Gods in the Media

Freemantle has just signed a deal with Saudi Arabia, and now we're in the midst of controversy over what happened to Washingont Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi Arabia consulate in Turkey. It's a good thing that Gaiman has signed the new contract with Amazon. I don't imagine that most reputable actors and directors will want to be involved with any company committed to working with the Saudi government.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fremantle-signs-saudi-arabia-format-deal-1152466

I like the plural on "Praise the lords." 

Nothing standing between us and a new season but the editing of a story shot under two show-runners, was it?, and a handful of long-gone creative and production teams. 

• Like 1

We have a date for the Season 2 premiere! From Deadline:

American Gods will return for its second season Sunday, March 10 on Starz. Cast member Ricky Whittle shared the news today on Instagram, along with a new poster.

The eight-episode second season of the well-received drama based on Neil Gaiman’s fantasy novel will see Dean Winters’ Mr. Town tasked by Mr. World (Crispin Glover) to find out what Shadow (Ricky Whittle) knows about Mr. Wednesday’s (Ian McShane) plan. His brutal efficiency and technique just may get him the answers to his curious questions.

• Like 11

Amazon Prime and most likely Starz on Demand added a clip of scenes from Season 2 this morning. It was at the top of my watch list this morning. 

This show really grew on me and I’m very excited for Season 2. I’ve always liked a good pantheon but no kidding I’m really loving the old gods. 

Wow, that man is sooo pretty. Glad that American Gods is coming back. Meanwhile, we have a new season of The Magicians starting in less than a week to keep us occupied. Squee!

Edited by AuntieMame · Reason: Because autocorrect doesn't recognize the plural of god.

This is more of a press release . . . blind box collectable figures are apparently on sale. I tend to pick up too many of those things. Last time, I waited two months for the latest Doctor Who line, then got the same figure twice. Basically, they're small, sometimes comes with accessories, and is a perfect hobby for anyone who has a hidden gambling addiction that never goes toward lottery tickets and slot machines. No clue what the "chase" figures would be . . . most of them are variations of the same character.

Couple of stories coming out of TCA:

American Gods: Shadow and the Deities Hit the Diner in New Season 2 Poster

american-gods-s2-poster-full-1.thumb.jpeg.1d50045886570d29e708bcb889470f71.jpeg

‘American Gods’ Likely Blessed For Season 3 Renewal From Starz – TCA

EXCLUSIVE: Nothing is written on stone tablets yet, but a third season of American Gods looks to be a divine certainty. “We didn’t make Season 2 of American Gods not to make a Season 3,” a source close to the production told Deadline of the Starz series based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning 2001 novel. “It’s a big book.”

With that top of mind, the premium cabler is searching to find a showrunner for a third season, I hear. With some top-tier candidates in the mix and in talks, that quest is centered in many ways on securing someone who can bring the ensemble series led by Ricky Whittle and Ian McShane in on budget and on time.

Squeedeley, squee, squee, squee! I just checked to see if I could watch this early on demand but no such luck. But only a little over twenty -four hours to go. I don't like that I'm not seeing Ostara in the previews because with the spring equinox coming I'm planning on giving her a little prayer of thanks. She deserves it.

oh and Old Gods all the way. I can't say I haven't been beguiled by the shiny, shallow promises of the new gods, but what can they really teach us of love and death and living an authentic and good life?

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, AuntieMame said:

I can't say I haven't been beguiled by the shiny, shallow promises of the new gods, but what can they really teach us of love and death and living an authentic and good life?

I love that.

Vulture has two articles about the return of the Gods, Old and New. The first reviews the behind-the-scenes, between-the-seasons gotterdammerung between Starz and Showrunnerz.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/american-gods-season-2-changes-recap.html

The second is Matt Zoller Seitz's review of Season Two. 

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/american-gods-season-2-starz-review.html

On 3/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, Pallas said:

I love that.

Vulture has two articles about the return of the Gods, Old and New. The first reviews the behind-the-scenes, between-the-seasons gotterdammerung between Starz and Showrunnerz.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/american-gods-season-2-changes-recap.html

The second is Matt Zoller Seitz's review of Season Two. 

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/american-gods-season-2-starz-review.html

Thank you pallas. Don't I remember you from the late, lamented TWOP? I liked the articles and I'm heartbroken to lose both Ostara and Fuller. I don't think another showrunner will produce the surreal, disturbing beauty that Fuller brought to this and Hannibal. 

Starz was trying to decide on American Gods or the Miriam Black series. I'm hoping b that Miriam might still get made. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:26 PM, raven said:

Obviously I haven't been following this topic since I had no idea there was such a mess behind the scenes.

I'll still be watching though.  Mild spoilers at the link above.

I read that article. The most shocking thing to me was the replacement showrunner getting in a shouting match with Ian McShane. It is probably because I have been watching a bunch of Deadwood lately, but in the unlikely event I was ever going to yell at Ian McShane, well first off I would be too scared to. But if for some reason I did i would make sure all sharp objects were cleared from the room beforehand. 

• Laugh 2

Renewed.

I am kind of surprised that it got renewed, given the mess behind the scenes.  I am utterly gobsmacked that it get renewed this early.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, starri said:

Renewed.

I am kind of surprised that it got renewed, given the mess behind the scenes.  I am utterly gobsmacked that it get renewed this early.

I wonder if it is the kind of thing where they have spent so much money getting the rights and developing it that they need three seasons to actually make a decent amount of money.

It looks like episodes 5, 6, and 7 were leaked online. I haven't watched them so I'm not sure how legit this is (or if maybe Starz did it on purpose because they don't want to compete with the Game of Thrones season premiere next week?), but FYI.

• Like 1