Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Duels Thoughts and Observations (The Meta Thread)

I like how the judges out right acknowledge that when they find something under salted, that they like a lot of salt.  On most other shows, the chefs just get criticism that something is under seasoned like there is a universal standard as to how seasoned (or salted) a dish should be.

I really think restaurant cooking damages the palate that way. Salty food is popular with diners (and gets them to order more drinks), so after tasting for twenty years I'd be willing to bet working chefs (say, if they've been working in taverns and steakhouses for twenty years, koff Tom koff) need far more salt than the rest of us.

I really think restaurant cooking damages the palate that way. Salty food is popular with diners (and gets them to order more drinks), so after tasting for twenty years I'd be willing to bet working chefs (say, if they've been working in taverns and steakhouses for twenty years, koff Tom koff) need far more salt than the rest of us.

I think it is the opposite.  When they say something is under seasoned it must really lack salt.  Most chefs do not like overly salted food and are very vocal about that.  Franchise restaurants do the overly salted trip, fancy restaurants do not.  

I love this show.  I like the relaxed camaraderie and respect they show for each other.  It is a breath of fresh air from the normal frantic pace of reality TV.

I also liked that Isabella won last chance.  His dish looked like it tasted better.  There is no favoritism afoot.   The other chef is a star among stars and his dish was clearly not as good.  

Whoever implemented adding slow mo action shots to amp the drama or heighten the artistic quality of this show needs to be fired. I don't think they add drama or artistic interest. Instead,  I think the show is trying to (badly) communicate some kind of weird time lapse or, as those "I'm Alive but Shouldn't Be Because I'm Really Stupid"  shows used to do, introduce an upcoming menace. I've watched too many re-enactment actors in slow mo open their eyes to find a panther staring them down to not wonder what in the h*ll the chey-effs are going to do with those knives. 

I hadn't even noticed the slo-mo.  I paid attention last night and it only seemed to be when they came back from break or were changing segments (I think*).  It seems to just be a style thing.  I like it much better than the "let's recap everything you just say up until now" return from break.  Yes. there's a little of that here, but not like some shows.

* "I think" because I don't remember it a lot.  It just doesn't bother me I guess so I don't notice it.

I didn't even notice the slo-mo until people here started mentioning it and I watched for it. It doesn't last long and doesn't bother me at all.

I don't mind it at all either. I appreciate some effort being made to render the show visually appealing. We can't taste the food, these are accomplished chefs so they are a safe bet to produce good food, so a little artistry in the shooting of it doesn't seem amiss to me.

Whoever implemented adding slow mo action shots to amp the drama or heighten the artistic quality of this show needs to be fired. I don't think they add drama or artistic interest. Instead,  I think the show is trying to (badly) communicate some kind of weird time lapse or, as those "I'm Alive but Shouldn't Be Because I'm Really Stupid"  shows used to do, introduce an upcoming menace. I've watched too many re-enactment actors in slow mo open their eyes to find a panther staring them down to not wonder what in the h*ll the chey-effs are going to do with those knives. 

I have the feeling the slow mo is tongue in cheek, so I'm starting to enjoy it.  Who can take slow mo of a pot of boiling water seriously (as was featured)?

• Love 1
Episode 105: David Burke (Top Chef Masters Season 5) vs. Takashi Yagihashi (Top Chef Masters Season 4)

From this list, I am pretty sure that 105 will make me happy. This should be a match very similar to the way Season 1 of Masters worked, in that both chefs will respect each other AND make awesome food because the challenges won't be idiotic.

SIGH.  I'll be damned. They did respect each other. And they did make awesome food. But seriously? Armadillo? Gah.

• Love 1

I came to this show late, but I believe that it is a slow build toward a Stephanie/Richard rematch, where he can "rightfully" win this round, after being so "wrongfully" deprived of a win in their season, leading him to ascend to the judge's throne next season.  Which, pardon my culinary indelicateness, but:  "barf".

• Love 1

I came to this show late, but I believe that it is a slow build toward a Stephanie/Richard rematch, where he can "rightfully" win this round, after being so "wrongfully" deprived of a win in their season, leading him to ascend to the judge's throne next season.  Which, pardon my culinary indelicateness, but:  "barf".

Ew.  I'm much more interested in a build up to see somebody like Kevin Gillespie, a runner-up who probably could have aced another season, get the victory.  I have no problem with bring back the semi-professional reality show chefs Like Richard, Marcel and Antonia.  But this is still Top Chef, where I also expect to see people in it just for the cooking.

• Love 1

Well, I guess it's "still Top Chef" but I find it boring.

I haven't seen a single matchup where the judges' comments couldn't have been tweaked a tiny bit in the opposite direction to justify a reverse decision.

Maybe it's because they did a good job matching equally skilled contestants and that level of talent rarely screws up. . .or maybe the whole thing's a scripted storyline based on who was popular or might have been considered "robbed" in the past.

I'm pretty cynical about how often white coat wins one, black coat wins the next and it all comes down to _____________.

• Love 1

I don't know what it is about this format, but I am really bored by it. I also haven't sat through a Top Chef season in years, despite having been around since the first season. The fake smack talk is kind of eye-roll worthy and I have never managed to warm up to the main host (why couldn't Gail be the main host? She's been around the longest. It is due to scheduling conflicts or maybe she just isn't interested). Lately, I've just been watching to catch my favorite chefs like Tiffani Faison and Kristen Kish, who will be on this week. 

• Love 1

I have never managed to warm up to the main host (why couldn't Gail be the main host? She's been around the longest. It is due to scheduling conflicts or maybe she just isn't interested). Lately, I've just been watching to catch my favorite chefs like Tiffani Faison and Kristen Kish, who will be on this week.

I hadn't planned on watching any of the Duels but got sucked in from reading here.

It was so obvious to me during last week's show as to one big reason why I'm enjoying this version over the original TC: Gail is here, Padma isn't. I've grown to dread hearing anything that comes out of Padma's mouth...can't stand her and have never felt she warranted the attention she's gotten from this gig, nor have I ever thought her opinions deserved any weight. I'd love to see her given the boot and Gail in her place. I can't recall Gail ever critiquing in the snide, nasty, personal way Padma has perfected over the years. 

• Love 1

I have a bone to pick (no pun intended) with the producers of this show.  I wish they would fire Wolfgang Puck immediately, and I wish that no show would hire him in the future.  I've HAD IT with Puck!

Today he gave an interview, carried by Huffington Post, in which he stated that most of these chefs are so inadequate that they really aren't chefs!  In the past, Puck has made his views well known, has embarrassed contestants right on air, and has put people down to build himself up.  He is too outspoken and way off base to be a fair judge.  This little man makes up for his lack of stature by harping on everyone he can.  I've seen other chefs not even trying to hide their amusement  while Puck is talking, and if Puck is something of a joke to them, why is he on the tube?  I like this show very much, but I think Puck's time is way past up.

Edited by Lura

The man has 100 "restaurants," a line of groceries, and kitchen equipment with his name on them, and he caters the after party for the most-viewed broadcast event on earth every year. I think he's what they all want to be when they grow up: an insanely rich former chef who does not give a shit.

I agree with you, he's grating and inappropriate. Just don't think it matters.

I've had Puck's food at multiple levels of his restaurants. It's fairly iffy for the prices. I can make better of most things I had, and I'm no celebrity chef. He somehow landed being a big name and has coasted ever since.

I've had much better at restaurants by contestants. Girl and the Goat. Just go if you can. You won't regret it.

• Love 1

I have a bone to pick (no pun intended) with the producers of this show.  I wish they would fire Wolfgang Puck immediately, and I wish that no show would hire him in the future.  I've HAD IT with Puck!

Today he gave an interview, carried by Huffington Post, in which he stated that most of these chefs are so inadequate that they really aren't chefs!  In the past, Puck has made his views well known, has embarrassed contestants right on air, and has put people down to build himself up.  He is too outspoken and way off base to be a fair judge.  This little man makes up for his lack of stature by harping on everyone he can.  I've seen other chefs not even trying to hide their amusement  while Puck is talking, and if Puck is something of a joke to them, why is he on the tube?  I like this show very much, but I think Puck's time is way past up.

Does that include a James Beard award winner, like Stephanie?  

Maybe he just means Art Smith (who IMO actually DOES barely count as a Chef)?

• Love 1

Puck was talking about all of the young chefs.  He said they're so inept that they can't even make an omelet.  For that matter, he said, they can't even make an egg!  Then he went on to boast about how many dinners he makes every year for the Academy Awards dinner.  I've eaten at four of his restaurants, and I'd rate them average.  His famous Chinese chicken salad is so greasy from an overuse of oil that it's very unpleasant.  I can make a Chinese chicken salad that would beat his any day of the week, and I don't serve the hoity toity of Hollywood.  I've always chuckled over things he's said, but for some reason, my tolerance has run low.

Puck was talking about all of the young chefs.  He said they're so inept that they can't even make an omelet.  For that matter, he said, they can't even make an egg!  Then he went on to boast about how many dinners he makes every year for the Academy Awards dinner.  I've eaten at four of his restaurants, and I'd rate them average.  His famous Chinese chicken salad is so greasy from an overuse of oil that it's very unpleasant.  I can make a Chinese chicken salad that would beat his any day of the week, and I don't serve the hoity toity of Hollywood.  I've always chuckled over things he's said, but for some reason, my tolerance has run low.

Years ago I heard an off-the-cuff joke from someone inside the industry that seems to fit.  They called him "Wolfgang Schmuck".

• Love 1