Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Duels Thoughts and Observations (The Meta Thread)

(edited)

For Blais vs Marcel, I'm rooting for a black hole to open in the kitchen, swallow them both, and keep either of them from winning. Two of my least favorite Top Chef contestants ever.

Fairly excited about the rest of the match ups, though.

Edited by mauras
  • Love 3

Marcel has grown on me. I still dislike his younger self (insert obligatory " he didn't deserve what happened to him, though" statement), but he's dialed back the arrogance and has a much quieter confidence than when he was a motormouthed twerp.

Blais, OTOH, continues to exude a sense of entitlement that I find insufferable.

• Love 8

They run marathons on the Esquire channel every Monday. I just watched Ilan's season the other day, when Marcel was attacked by Cliff. You can also catch Ilan's show "Knife Fight" on that channel, it's hilarious sometimes.

• Love 1

Marcel has grown on me. I still dislike his younger self (insert obligatory " he didn't deserve what happened to him, though" statement), but he's dialed back the arrogance and has a much quieter confidence than when he was a motormouthed twerp.

Blais, OTOH, continues to exude a sense of entitlement that I find insufferable.

As annoying as they both were, in the inevitable fashion of reality shows that have been on for a long time, FAR worse people have emerged since these two. Building up a "history" has a funny way of making the early schnooks and villains look like pussycats in retrospect.

• Love 3

They run marathons on the Esquire channel every Monday. I just watched Ilan's season the other day, when Marcel was attacked by Cliff. You can also catch Ilan's show "Knife Fight" on that channel, it's hilarious sometimes.

They also have the full run (and the full run of TCM) on Hulu now.

• Love 1

You can also catch Ilan's show "Knife Fight" on that channel, it's hilarious sometimes.

I wondered if anyone besides me was watching that show.  Then it was renewed so I guess someone is but I never saw anyone here mention it.  I didn't request a forum for it because I didn't think many people were watching it so I haven't known where it wouldn't be off topic to say something about it.

With the exception of Marcel at moments, I've always been a fan of Blais and Spike, so I definitely have a different perspective than most. I guess I admire their cookery and find them engaging rather than insufferable.

I'm a HUGE fan of Spike. He's always been my favorite. I think him, more than most, gets how to play the reality show game and doesn't take it too seriously. Plus, I've found his food really good and his restaurants are pretty darn successful. He does know what he is doing (or, he atleast has surrounded himself with people who do).

• Love 2

I am really looking forward to this but boy I wish they had paired Stephanie and Blais. Then she could have kicked his ass again and maybe he would finally shut up about "choking" in their finale.

• Love 9

I am really looking forward to this but boy I wish they had paired Stephanie and Blais. Then she could have kicked his ass again and maybe he would finally shut up about "choking" in their finale.

You and me both! I endured some of the repeat of the All Stars season today on Bravo. I kept wanting to hit Blais in the face every time he'd smirk or make that "why me, what did I do wrong?" look. I pity his wife.

• Love 2

Bella and Cooksdelight, you are so right!  I've always hated Blais for whining for years about how he only lost his season because he choked.  Whenever he says he lost to Stephanie because he choked,  he can't even bear to utter her name. In All-stars he referred to her as "the winner of my season".  Meanwhile, she's kicked his ass in every way that counts since the show.  Successful restaurants, James Beard awards, and all.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 1

I'm retitling this thread so that it can live on once the episodes begin airing. It was either that, or dash into this forum to lock this thread at the end of the episode, and I really don't want to do that.

• Love 1

Marcel spends a lot of his time doing pop-up events, charity events, traveling around to various cooking events....and surfing....and driving a BMW convertible. :) Blais is spreading himself really thin with all of his projects and I hope his family isn't suffering.

• Love 1

Now seeing the whole schedule, I'm more likely to tune in again--this Blais/Marcel match up made me nauseous. (Typical Richard Blais fashion is obnoxious.)

Go, Stephanie!

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1

One of my chef friends is a judge tonight. He wouldn't tell me a thing. :)

Cooksdelight, go back and offer yourself to him as a naked sushi platter.  (Don't be afraid to go retro.)

I was completely disillusioned when one of the other "reality" competitions turned out to be so fake even the THs were created by editing together little two-word sound bites.  So now, although I love Top Chef, the ping-pong suspense in the first Duel seemed artificial.  "It's all come down to the final dinner mint. . ."

I believe you're a professional in the industry, yourself--can you please, please treat us to one behind-the-scenes glimpse that will make me believe in fairies again?

• Love 1

Definitely rooting for Antonia, Stefan, Tiffani, Kristen and Stephanie. Yes, Kristen AND Stephanie. I'm going to hope they just declare it a tie, because really, there's no way I can pick between those two. They're my favorite cheftestants of all time along with Hung and Carla.

God, we need more Hung.

• Love 3

I really want to like this show but with the random camera tricks and the overhyped smacktalk-filled battles it feels like Food Network's "Cutthroat Kitchen."  I find myself unable to get through one episode, and some of the future pairings don't make sense to me (shouldn't Stefanie have gone against Richard? I know it's 2 female winners facing off, but I would've loved to watch her beat him down).

This isn't in place of an all-stars 2, is it?  I hope not.

• Love 1

I really want to like this show but with the random camera tricks and the overhyped smacktalk-filled battles it feels like Food Network's "Cutthroat Kitchen."  

We finally watched the second episode over the weekend and those camera stunts are driving me up a freaking wall. It's like someone learned a bunch of new tricks and is dying to show it off.... all at once, and over and over again. I'm over it.

We finally watched the second episode over the weekend and those camera stunts are driving me up a freaking wall. It's like someone learned a bunch of new tricks and is dying to show it off.... all at once, and over and over again. I'm over it.

When they did the weird 300-style slo-mo as Shirley put down a spoon I was done.  A knife cut, perhaps.  A spoon being set down...no.

• Love 1

It's always the same circle of cheftestants, and those who were featured in the All-Star season pretty much made a career out of being reality stars hopping from show to show. 

how about bringing back people like....

lee anne wong

sam talbot

hung hyuhn

hosea

leah cohen

kevin spraga

grayson

ed lee

kuniko

sheldon

just to name a few.  it's not like these people were not talented.  bring back some fresh faces bravo. 

A lot of those people are busy as hell working for a living, which is probably why they turn down offers. I know Hosea is getting ready to open a new restaurant, if it's not open already. Leah just moved to NYC for a new job, she had been in San Diego working for Brian Malarkey. I was surprised that Kevin Gillespie took the bait, he turned them down for All-Stars when it ran because he was opening a new restaurant in Atlanta.

A lot of those people are busy as hell working for a living, which is probably why they turn down offers. I know Hosea is getting ready to open a new restaurant, if it's not open already. Leah just moved to NYC for a new job, she had been in San Diego working for Brian Malarkey. I was surprised that Kevin Gillespie took the bait, he turned them down for All-Stars when it ran because he was opening a new restaurant in Atlanta.

Leah went to work for Brian Malarkey before or after Pig and Khao?

I thought she opened Pig and Khao over a year ago, though.

DH and I thought about going there on our last trip to NYC and opted not to because it wasn't getting great reviews.

That sounds right, she's been in NYC for a year or so now. She was in SD 2 or 3 years ago, for about a year. I remember when she got the job working for Brian, she was so excited. I am dying to go to Gunshow, Kevin's restaurant in Atlanta. He comes out and does a lot of service table-side and it's that good ol' smoky BBQ and meat that I love. I could never get into the restaurant he had when he was on TC, they were always booked.

A friend of mine went to Blaise's place, the one featured on TC Where Are They Now, and she said the food was delicious. Spence, I think it's called?

I kind of find it hard to believe that the ones available to do the show are the usual familiar faces.  I mean, who wouldn't want to do the show?!  it's the best kind of publicity.  especially if you're about to, or just opened a restaurant.  Also, I'm sure the compensation is generous, plus the opportunity to win alot more, and I bet it's a helluva fun time.  obviously I dont know jack about opening a restaurant, but If It were me, I would make my availability for the show a top priority. 

It's always the same circle of cheftestants, and those who were featured in the All-Star season pretty much made a career out of being reality stars hopping from show to show. 

how about bringing back people like....

lee anne wong

Lee Anne Wong has a conflict of interest--she worked for the show as an employee for 4 seasons (I mean in a more traditional sense rather than just being a show ambassador, like many of them turn into).

• Love 1

I kind of find it hard to believe that the ones available to do the show are the usual familiar faces.  I mean, who wouldn't want to do the show?!  it's the best kind of publicity.  especially if you're about to, or just opened a restaurant.  

Not if you lose it isn't, then you're the chef whose food isn't as good as someone else's. Not exactly the best reputation for a restaurant.

Edited by GaT

I found the camera tricks so distracting and annoying.

Agreed, but I love that they get right to announcing who won a challenge or the whole shebang, instead of breaking for a commercial, coming back and spending infinity recapping what you just saw before the break. 

• Love 3

I have watched Top Chef since almost the beginning, my cable provider did not offer Bravo during Season One, and Masters, Deserts and everything else are at least viewable and for the Moët part, enjoyable. TC a Duels however, is horrible. Curtis Stone is bad enough, who does he have dirt on to keep getting hired, but the premiss is horrible. Nothing about the show is interesting. Even my love of Gail can't save thus show for me.

• Love 1

Curtis Stone is bad enough, who does he have dirt on to keep getting hired

+1. I don't dislike Curtis, but as far as I can tell he's the latest incarnation of Todd English or Rocco DiSpirito, except that they were once successful owner-operators before they became human golden retrievers.

• Love 3

As I noted in the episode thread, it wasn't until episode 4 where I became emotionally involved in this series. To be fair, it was a strong negative emotion, but at least I felt something.  So looking at the rest of the duels, I'm wondering if it will carry over and I'll actually stick with this until the end...

Episode 105: David Burke (Top Chef Masters Season 5) vs. Takashi Yagihashi (Top Chef Masters Season 4)
Episode 106: Tiffani Faison (Top Chef Season 1 runner up) vs. Dale Talde (Top Chef Chicago and Top Chef All-Star contestant)
Episode 107: Nyesha Arrington (Top Chef Texas contestant) vs. Jen Carroll (Top Chef Las Vegas finalist)
Episode 108: Stephanie Izard (Top Chef Chicago winner) vs. Kristen Kish (Top Chef Seattle winner)
Episode 109: Kevin Gillespie (Top Chef Las Vegas fan favorite) vs. Art Smith (Top Chef Masters Season 1)

From this list, I am pretty sure that 105 will make me happy. This should be a match very similar to the way Season 1 of Masters worked, in that both chefs will respect each other AND make awesome food because the challenges won't be idiotic.

Don't care about 106, although maybe Dale will do something interesting. 107 will work for me if Jen comes back as the person I really liked in season 6 and to get to see Nyesha again in a setting that isn't poisoned by the negative feelings I had during the Texas mess.

108 could be a great duel, but I'd be rooting for both of them to win, so I'll probably just get annoyed that they couldn't have split them up in a way that they could have eliminated Dale and Tiffani.

And then I'm all in for episode 109. My favorite from Season 6 against "doesn't need any more screen time Art Smith". 

As long as Kevin wins that last one, I'm confident I'll watch the final.  If he loses, well, I guess I will record it just so make sure I get to see CJ lose badly.

Episode 106: Tiffani Faison (Top Chef Season 1 runner up) vs. Dale Talde (Top Chef Chicago and Top Chef All-Star contestant)

Don't care about 106, although maybe Dale will do something interesting.

I'm really looking forward to that one. I'm having a serious go husband, go bear reaction to it. I so disliked the way both of them played the game that it's a tossup who I want to see lose more (well, not really. I'm actually rooting for Tiffani, but it kind of makes me cringe to say so).

• Love 1
108 could be a great duel, but I'd be rooting for both of them to win, so I'll probably just get annoyed that they couldn't have split them up in a way that they could have eliminated Dale and Tiffani.

On the plus side, with the way the knockout round supposedly works, I think whoever loses in 108 has a decent shot at coming back. Maybe.

Still not a fan of the knockout round format, but hey, I'll take my silver lining where I can get it. 

Not buying the choices, and it is just boring.  :(  Sad to say.

Got no trouble with the choices-they can only get the people that want to do it AND that have some type of ratings draw. I don't like Isabella, but he does move the needle, as does Stefan.

The real problem is that it has been boring as hell. No real "degree of difficulty" other than beating the other cheftestant and they all are so used to the format that they don't freak out. They even seem to keep it in their wheelhouses and make what they do best. I keep watching because.......I don't really know, but somehow I do.