Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Season 6, Episode 5

Fellowes has certainly rubbished his almost knee-jerk slagging off on Edith. In past seasons even when he sort of gave her a few wins, he couldn't help emphasizing she was much the second best. Here, Edith has definitely been given an A+, varsity love interest. In the past, with Gregson, I felt that, while they loved each other, he was absolutely a "B" story type guy, a bit older, not dashing. Bertie is Mary-calibre in the suitor department. He's funny, he's sophisticated, - -

I don't believe Mary would look at Bertie twice. He is "only" a land agent ("I don't have much to offer") and he isn't outwardly dashing and lacks self-confidence ("pushing my luck"). He is a quy whose essential decency is revealed when one learns to know him (he helped Edith to edit the magazine and he is openly fond of his cousin who seems to be a gay).

If I could chose a lover and husband to Edith, I would definitely prefer Gregson, because he was a self-made man and he empowered Edith both in work and as a woman. If he had returned from Germany as a divorced man, Edith could have lived in London in a modern marriage where both spouses work (plus they had money to hire help).

As Gregson is dead, Bertie is a good choice as he is a good man. It seems that in this relationship Edith is the one who empowers Bertie. Only, it seems like going to backwards if Edith returns to the country as someone's wife. If Bertie could find a job in Civil Service, Edith could continue her work in her magazine.

• Love 2

Mary's last scenes this episode all had a vibe of isolation going on. When she returns with Edith and Edith tells her she's going to look after the children Mary's response is 'Of course you are' and there's not a hint of the usual snark, she sounds defeated. This is followed by the brief exchange with Tom who is unusually sarcastic with his 'So long live our own Queen Mary'. He leaves her and there's a beautiful shot of her standing all alone under an arch in the stairway - beautiful cinematography, it looked for a moment like a medieval painting. Mary's last scene is of course with her other confidante, Anna, who is clearly not telling her everything she could. The episode ends with Mary staring at her own reflection in the mirror.

I think it's clear that Mary has figured out Marigold's identity and that everybody except her already knew. And that must hurt her on many levels. We all expect her to lash out, everything else would be a surprise - but if played right the conflict around Marigold could turn into a true catharsis for Mary. Once she gets her outrage out of her system she might be forced to face a couple of hard questions about herself and that could be one hell of a ride to watch.

I agree that these were good scenes, especially as so much was left to the audience to conclude. 

First, it was shown that after their father's illness the sisters had at least a momentary rapport but it didn't lead to any bonding. Edith's first concern was for her daughter (who emotionally represented the future for her) whereas Mary's concern was for the estate (which was economically tied with the future of her son - however, I don't regard this a lesser love). In the end she bonded with Tom as a partner of work, not emotionally with Edith who the common childhood and youth memories of Robert which Tom lacks (it was also significant that although Tom is regarded as family, he didn't go to the hospital with Cora, Mary and Edith).

Second, there was a question of Marigold and Mary being kept in dark by her own family as well as by Anna (as Anna's hesitation clearly showed). How Mary deals this will really show her true colors: is she capable to self-analysis and change her behavior or not? 

I was switching between Downton and Grease: Live! but happened to switch to Downton a few seconds before Robert started giving birth to an alien lifeform. It was so awesome I laughed for a minute straight. I've always been fond of Robert but man that was some seriously funny gore.

Good job, Mary, figuring out something so obvious that even George already probably caught on.

My boyfriend Matthew Goode is being seriously misused on this show.

• Love 4

I'd been spoiled on the infamous blood spurting scene, but it still took me aback.  Projectile-blood-vomiting is just ... apparently, it gives me the giggles and I can't quite take it seriously.  (I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

In other matters, Edith looked very pretty this episode (go, Edith!  Get your happy ending!), and Denker was a bitch who needs to stop sucking up screentime.  Can it go to Talbot instead, so he can actually get a chance to show some personality, please?

I enjoy Tom and Mary's brotherly/sisterly friendship, but I would be totally uninterested in a romance between them.

• Love 6
Senna, on 31 Jan 2016 - 9:24 PM, said:

I'd been spoiled on the infamous blood spurting scene, but it still took me aback.  Projectile-blood-vomiting is just ... apparently, it gives me the giggles and I can't quite take it seriously.  (I'm glad I'm not the only one.)

It's official - Downton Abbey is camp.

• Love 4

Wait a moment . . . Robert was just spewing vast amounts of blood, is waiting for an ambulance, might be dying for all anyone knows, and Cora is standing calmly in the front hall continuing the discussion about the damn hospital?  Who does that?  Tom and Neville Chamberlain chatting it up while he waits for the car?  These people just don't do emergencies the way normal people do. 

• Love 6

Yikes! Who saw that coming? When JF decides to create a health crisis, he doesn't pull his punches. But I'm glad that it looks as though Robert will recover, especially with several episodes remaining.

I love Edith and Bertie together, and I thought she looked smashing for their date. Not as crazy about Mary and Henry. There doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry.

The Thomas and Andrew atoryline was nice, and I always like when Thomas shows his human side.

So, it looks like the show is setting up all the pairings for the end. So are Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason getting together? That would be a nice ending for two lovely characters. But for heavens sake, someone needs to shut Daisy up! And Miss Denker too. I was disappointed that Violet rescinded her firing.

The Baxter/Molesley relationship is a good one, definitely brings out Molesley's better qualities.

• Love 1

I'm here to say that, regretfully I can attest, that kind of blood spewing/vomiting is very, very real. I've witnessed it in my mother. It was over 25 years ago and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Moving on quickly...

I'm loving the tiny softening and kindness of Thomas. His concern for Baxter last week when the constable showed up; this week with how he handled Andy not being able to read. That would be one of my favorite Downton developments by series end if Thomas grew a kinder heart. So much of his bitchiness comes from a place of years and years of insecurity/not fitting in/no one to relate to as a pal because the men fear he's hitting on them.

Could it possibly be -- Mrs. Patmore and Mr. Mason?? She has said she'd like to find someone. Why is Daisy being so awful about Mr. Mason having other people in his life? My gosh, they've made Daisy so very unlikeable.

Tom Branson is turning out to be the real prince. How fun for Allen Leech to play him.

On the other hand, Mr. Carson is being an old stuck-in-his-ways and inconsiderate booby. He doesn't deserve Mrs. Hughes.

Mary and Edith both looked gorgeous this episode. As much as I really like Matthew Goode, I just see zero chemistry between Mary and Henry. It's like their resumes fit, but the actual characters don't. We shall see. The Edith romance is sweet and I liked her new editor.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7

Well I enjoyed that.  Edith looked very pretty and she got kissed. I'm glad for her.  Mary found out about Marigold (or she's figuring it out) and I am VERY curious how that is going to play out.  I really do think Mary has mellowed a bit.  She snipes at Edith out of habit but I think her main reaction to this THIS news is going to be to feel hurt that everyone assumed she could not be trusted with the information.

Daisy admitted that she had behaved badly and very nearly blown it for Mr. Mason, which was a relief . . . and then she started acting like a bitch over Mrs. Patmore showing an interest in being friends with Mr. Mason.  Sheesh.  

Well, we knew SOME medical drama was coming and this one was the most likely.  I thought Lord Grantham's line to his wife when he thought he might be dying was very sweet.  I did, however, obsess over the fact that she did not change her clothes before going to the hospital despite there being blood on her dress.  That seems out of character.

So was anyone else shocked at the discussion of how it takes strength to "pry" a boar off a sow after it is done servicing her.  Seriously?  In front of the ladies?  (And, um, why is that necessary anyway?)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

Add me to those who find Daisy an absolutely obnoxious character.

I like the human side of Barrow and his interaction with Baxter. It was surprising that Andy didn't misunderstand and haul off and punch him when Thomas entered  his room and closed the door behind him. I tensed up for a second there, lol. 

• Love 7

Never before have I wished that DA was in black & white. The palette has so much gold, blue, green, deep burgundies, browns, etc., that bright red was so jarring!

I'd bet that there probably won't be a time jump, but I wish we could jump ahead to everything being OK with Anna and the baby and Robert convalesced. Maybe Daisy will have had an exorcism by then.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 5

Matthew Goode is - ostensibly - nice looking (I find him okay, not very handsome) but - for me - is he tragically missing charisma.  I noticed it mostly in The Imitation Game and then again in The Good Wife.  

I know it is subjective so I am only speaking for myself.  Allen Leech though, he too was in The Imitation Game and find him more sparkly - for lack of a better word - but it is fun seeing MG and AL interacting having seen them in that film.  They work with ease together.

I still find the whole race car driver/race car story a bit weird given how Mary's husband died.  It's just a weird choice of storyline.  

I had been spoiled about the blood bath so I managed to not watch that part of the show - was not in the mood or even remotely curious after what I had read about it.  Sounded like a true horror show and, well, no thanks.  I see it was still back when they thought ulcers were caused by stress.

I loved picky Carson (though I'd smack him atop the head) - that reality that you never really know someone until you live with them intimately and then - well, not always the greatest all the time.  

I will forever adore Maggie Smith - she is an absolute hoot and a treasure.  Man, she took this role and ran with it from the first second of the series.  She is amazing.

And, yay, Edith - it's damn well about time after 6 years of being on the receiving end of all that misery and heartache and nasty sisterhood crap.

And, Thomas is suddenly going to be decent guy - 

Good grief, Daisy is a so dim - and, annoying.  

Edited by roomtorome
  • Love 4
ShadowFacts, on 31 Jan 2016 - 9:31 PM, said:

Wait a moment . . . Robert was just spewing vast amounts of blood, is waiting for an ambulance, might be dying for all anyone knows, and Cora is standing calmly in the front hall continuing the discussion about the damn hospital?  Who does that?  Tom and Neville Chamberlain chatting it up while he waits for the car?  These people just don't do emergencies the way normal people do. 

Like I said - camp!

I am willing to pay a good sum of money to shut Daisy the fuck up and take several seats, including ones at her own funeral. I'll double it to get rid of any storyline involving the Dowager's staff. Other than that, I'm very pleased with the season.

• Love 13

Also, poor Mrs. Hughes-Carson. Did he really expect Mrs. Patmore-level cooking from a woman who hasn't cooked in years? He's such a perfectionist that he'll never be happy with someone who doesn't match his level of perfectionism (and I speak from experience on that!).

Even so, I thought it was realistic to show them having to make adjustments to their ideas and expectations, getting married for the first time after being on their own for so long. It would've been unrealistic IMO to make giddy lovebirds who fit together perfectly from day one.

• Love 8

I was also spoiled on the scene with Robert and I still wasn't ready.  That projectile....sheesh.  Nice moment with Cora comforting Robert, only for him to counter that he loved her dearly in case he didn't make it.  

Carson doesn't usually bug me that much, but that passive-aggressive dig at Mrs. Hughes about her cooking was rude.  He might be used to giving orders, but she's his wife now.  I wouldn't have blamed her if she'd told him he'd be on the couch since he thought she needed pointers about her cooking.  Learn some tact, Carson.

Daisy is just too immature to be real.  Even when the housing situation is finally squared away, she still manages to make it about herself.  Girl, grow up.  If Mr. Mason wants to hang out with Mrs. Patmore or vice versa, myob and let them be.  Mason is a sweetheart, it's not surprising that other people would want to get to know him.

The scene with Andy and Thomas was really nice.  Looks like Thomas really is trying to be a better person, because it sounds like he's known about Andy's illiteracy for some time.  Before, Thomas wouldn't hesitate to use that against Andy, not help him.  I hope they can be good friends.

IA that the Spratt/Denker stuff is boring.  I don't hate the characters, the plot just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Even though I do think that Mary and Tom are great friends, they have such a natural, easy rapport with each other that I could see developing into something more. 

I was already grossed out earlier in the week by (Endeavour spoilers)

DI Thursday coughing up that bullet

, but that paled in comparison to Robert at dinner.

I think Mary will probably be most upset at the fact that everyone else in Downton knew about Marigold, but honestly I don't think she really even cared enough about Edith to begin to put that together.

Edith looked amazing tonight.

Daisy, I really liked you when the show started, but damn does that character grate now. Mr. Mason can have a friend. He and Mrs. Patmore were quite nice together.

• Love 4

I could have done without the dining room scene, but it was a good episode overall, and I'm glad Lord G isn the road to recovery.

On reflection, the things I liked most related to Tom and Sybbie.  Thank heavens they are back where they belong!

Love Tom and Mary's relationship.  They are just so comfortable with one another.  And their chats show a different side of each than we usually get to see.

Someone posted above that Tom has turned into a prince and that is dead on!  Of course he didn't go to the hospital, not because he's not a real member of the Grantham clan, but because he is a real member of the Grantham clan.  Someone had to see off their important guest, and there was Tom filling that role will style.  (I also appreciated his earlier attempt to help out Chamberlain by offering a drink.)  

Sybbie, Donk, and Cora were adorable when Grandma and Grandpa were babysitting.  Her interactions with them are so natural.  (In fairness, the other two little actors are younger, so I would not expect the same from them.)

I also enjoyed . . . .

Seeing Mr. Mason happily moving into his new home.  

Seeing Edith and Bertie enjoying their date.  She is not my favorite character, but those two actually have some spark.  

Seeing the good side of Thomas.  

I'm reserving judgment on Mary and Henry.  She hasn't let her guard down with him yet, and that is what distinguished her relationship with Matthew.  They were friends and well as lovers.

• Love 1

Wow. I did not know the blood spewing was coming!

Did people not know about ulcers back then? I mean...why didn't Robert (or Cora) suspect that his health problems might be an ulcer? I feel like ulcers were common, but I don't really know. My grandfather had a bleeding ulcer in the 1950s, but no one was surprised by it because he had so much stomach pain.

Love, love Tom. And Sybbie. And Tom/Mary.

Liked the exchange between Mary and Edith. Interesting that it was Mary who reached out and Edith who rebuffed her.

I don't see any chemistry between Mary and Matthew Goode. I really wish she'd end the series alone, but I know that'll never happen.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

Pretty drastic way to break up a party, Robert. Normally I would put on "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald " and start cleaning up if I want my guests to leave.

How cute is it that even Cora has begun to call Robert "Donk" in front of Sybbie? As big of an ass as I find the character of Robert, I will miss Hugh Bonneville on my tv. He is good with the children and with Violet.

Can Daisy and Carson go off together and leave the rest of us in peace?

• Love 8

I do have one nagging question about Tom? What is he living on? I mean, did he inherit anything from Sybil? Who pays for his clothes...does he have an allowance?

Or is he paid as an estate agent? I have always been mystified that he does not have an accent the gives his origins away, as that as always been a tell for the caste conscious British...I suppose that having he be Irish is meant to bridge that. But still...

And Spratt is so stupid. Dencker has no proof to offer re his nephew, and she is in bad straits with her employer anyways...why would Violet suddenly believe her.

He could have simply told her to handle things herself and to be sure she had proof in hand. Dencker would have folded, and if not, her gambling in London could have been mentioned. Just irritatingly stupid.

Hooray for Edith, but JF does not like her....every near happiness she has found has been tarnished in some way....I expect that Mary will do her best to hurt Edith if she can. I do loathe Mary, and wish that her insufferable narcissism would find its reward.

• Love 1

I really hope we don't have Tom-Mary: Mr Mason- Mrs. Pattmore: Daisy- Andy pairings. It's too pat & lazy & unrealistic. And there are people & life outside of Hotel California Downton Abbey.

Loved the Robert blood spewing scene. And loved that none of the ladies were hysterical or fainting. They all kept their cool. Still, could t Robert have pulled Dr Clarkson aside just once in their many meetings the previous months & tell him he was having pains?

So the fact that Robert was successfully treated at the local hospital actually reinforces Violet's position that they are equipped to handle anything. After all of that blood I really didn't think he would make it.

I'd love to see Mr Carson kick the bucket & Mrs Hughes & Mrs Pattmore go live together. :)

Daisy is as unlikeable as ever.

The clothes just keep getting better & better! Love Edith's wardrobe this season especially.

I'm still rooting for Evelyn Napier. Mary has made it clear she sees Tom as a brother. Tom doesn't seem very keen on running the estate for a living & the look on his face said the same as Mary told him they would be playing a bigger role. So I don't see him as the romantic love interest for her.

• Love 1

Lord G: Edith has a date.

Edith: [shyly] No, I don't!

Mary: [snickering] Of course not.

Edith: What do you mean, "of course not"?

Ah, Mary, I love you and adore and will miss you terribly. Suck it, Edith.

When's someone going to push Daisy in front of a truck?

Hopefully that someone will be Mrs. Patmore! Daisy really is among the worst.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 4

Ok then Robert, tell us how you really feel about the hospital merger debate. Seriously though, he's known he's had an ulcer since, like, September of the previous year and ever since Christmas has done nothing to look after himself. His almost last words to Cora did make me tear up though.

So now the reality is setting in for Mary that the guard will have to change one day. I'm ok if she doesn't have another husband by the end and her endgame is making sure Downton is running at the top of its game when it's time to hand the reins over to George. Even when Mary and Matthew was supposed to be the great love of this show, I always thought it had more to do with pairing Mary with Downton forever. Unfortunately she'll never be Lady Grantham, but like her father, that house is her life's work and purpose. I've always liked that about the character. It's different than what you usually see with main characters on tv, especially women.

And I know her sniping at Edith is childish and petty and doesn't come from a good place, but to quote Mary herself, "I couldn't care less if I took a pill to achieve it." I don't care how cute Laura Carmichael looks in her London clothes or how much she sparks with Bertie. I still can't get the bad taste of that character over the last season and a half out of my mouth. She's one I'll definitely be happy to see the back of when it's all over.

My friend and I were wondering though...if Mary does get confirmation on her Marigold suspicions, so what? What can she do with it? She already detests Edith pretty openly. She wouldn't dare sell the story to the papers or start a rumor, as she wouldn't want it to blow back on the family. Would she tell Bertie? Would she really care all that much? I think she'd be happy for someone to take Edith away from Downton, even if Edith does end up becoming a marchioness.

Donk, Granny, and the kiddos was adorable. More babysitting scenes, please!

I'm happy for Mr. Mason, but him moving into the Drewe house (and starting the move before they'd moved out, by the dialogue) smarted a little. I still think that family was used very badly. That house is beautiful though, I am looking forward to having more scenes in it.

Anna and Bates being nice to Baxter fills me with joy. Where are the scenes of the three of them and Molesley going out on double dates that I need and deserve?

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 7

My family howled in laughter when the Earl had his...episode. We're horrible people. I think it had to do with it being so ridiculous. It didn't help that the "blood" was literally straight out of the 60s: bright red paint (or corn syrup? It looked more like paint to me).

Yay for Edith and Man-Edith finally getting together.

Ooooo; Mary is finally starting to clue in on Marigold. that's going to blow up in people's faces. They should have told her by now. She'll end up lashing out in anger.

Tom is playing matchmaker, but I hope he doesn't get too pushy. I don't blame Mary for not liking fast cars, and it clearly makes her uncomfortable so I wish people would back off.

My family loves all the old squabbling people. We find it hilarious.

Evelyn was mentioned! My precious child! My poor Marvlyn heart. :(

• Love 3

And I know her sniping at Edith is childish and petty and doesn't come from a good place, but to quote Mary herself, "I couldn't care less if I took a pill to achieve it." I don't care how cute Laura Carmichael looks in her London clothes or how much she sparks with Bertie. I still can't get the bad taste of that character over the last season and a half out of my mouth. She's one I'll definitely be happy to see the back of when it's all over.

My friend and I were wondering though...if Mary does get confirmation on her Marigold suspicions, so what? What can she do with it? She already detests Edith pretty openly. She wouldn't dare sell the story to the papers or start a rumor, as she wouldn't want it to blow back on the family. Would she tell Bertie? Would she really care all that much? I think she'd be happy for someone to take Edith away from Downton, even if Edith does end up becoming a marchioness.

Because in the end she "needs" Edith there, she needs somebody as punching bag, Mary is the "Queen Bee", so she need someone like Edith to insult her constantly and  have a  feeling of superiority, if you notice, she behaves in that way with most of the women of her class, she see them as "competition". She is very loyal and kind to Anna, but Anna is never going to be a competitor to her, they are in different leagues. And in her view Edith is incapable of having a man, being intelligent, having the same love of the family, etc. I agree, if Mary hates so much Edith, i think that she could ask her to leave the house because she is the owner of the 50%, or make some deal like not sharing the same room except in the dinner; and i think that a conversation or negotiation like that betwen the sister it would be very much mature that the constant nasty comments betwen them.

Edited by sark1624
  • Love 1

Not only was Carson rude about Mrs. Hughes' cooking, I detested his comment about how she "has not played with her patty pans" for a long time. That was awful.

I watch over the air in real time, so Denker and Spratt at least provide time for bathroom or snack breaks. When they were on I kept yelling, "Go AWAY!"

I noticed that Mary told Edith good night, but Edith did not answer her back.

• Love 4

When did Tom become such a sage philosopher concerning all things life and love?

And what makes him think every other character needs to hear him spout his superior wisdom at every turn?

In related matters, I really liked Thomas this episode.

• Love 1

Well, they are going to have a heck of a time getting the blood out of that tablecloth.

They need that character from American Horror Story: Hotel to deal with it. Her speciality was getting out blood stains.

Let me get in the line to slap Daisy! Mr. Mason (love Paul Copely) and Mrs. Patmore would be great together. Daisy needs a big dose of MYOB and STFU.

• Love 3

Go Tom!!! He was awesome with the minister and with Henry.  And his handling of Mr. Mason if he hired a farm hand made the moment less awkward. His small talk has taken off and he knows exactly what to say and how to make people comfortable and at ease.  So well done.

And yes, the girls look amazing.  The make-up and clothes are divine. Seriously divine. How gorgeous was Mary in the pub and Edith in the garden.  I mean....

Edited by caligirl50
  • Love 4

I too, laughed uncontrollably at the projectile blood scene.  It was just so badly done.  The head lurching, the shock, all of it.  I rewound so many times to rewatch.

Daisy can still STFU.  It seems that Mrs. Patmore is destined for Mr. Mason, although he seems much too old for her.  They talk about him as if he is going to keel over dead any minute, and he looks to be at least 70.  I'm not sure how old Mrs. Patmore is supposed to be, but I'd say about 50 or 55.  It would be a hoot though if Daisy ends up moving to the farm, and then a month later Mrs. Patmore becomes her stepmother-in-law.

For once, Thomas didn't act like a jerk.  He actually behaved nicely, leading me to believe the redemption of Thomas is upon us.

Spratt is an idiot for caving in to Denker's threats.  She had no proof that his nephew was sheltered there, and he should have known that Violet doesn't trust her, especially since she was on her way out.  Spratt could have just denied it, and Violet wouldn't have done anything.

Re Carson and his criticism of Mrs. Hughes' cooking.... what exactly was there to cook?  Did Mrs. Patmore just provide the raw ingredients for her?  When she made her a basket, I thought that she was putting cooked food in there, and she would just reheat it in the oven.  But I guess not.  He's an ass.  After living in a little room for decades, you'd think that he'd be overjoyed to have a relatively large house that is his to walk around in, not to mention sleeping with a woman for the first time in decades, or perhaps ever.

• Love 1

When did Tom become such a sage philosopher concerning all things life and love?

And what makes him think every other character needs to hear him spout his superior wisdom at every turn?

And what happened to Tom to turn him into Lord of the Manor?  He was only in America a few months, and not only did we get no explanation of what happened to him and Sybbie there nor why they came back so soon, but now he's enmeshed even deeper at Downton as though it's his calling.  What happened to wanting to make his own way doing something meaningful to him?  Downton is suddenly so meaningful?  What caused that change of heart?

I still miss Rose.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

And what happened to Tom to turn him into Lord of the Manor?  He was only in America a few months, and not only did we get no explanation of what happened to him and Sybbie there nor why they came back so soon, but now he's enmeshed even deeper at Downton as though it's his calling.  What happened to wanting to make his own way doing something meaningful to him?  Downton is suddenly so meaningful?  What caused that change of heart?

He said it was because he realized they were his family and he missed them, that Downton had become his home, and that he shouldn't have taken Sybbie away from them.

• Love 1

Did people not know about ulcers back then? I mean...why didn't Robert (or Cora) suspect that his health problems might be an ulcer? I feel like ulcers were common, but I don't really know. My grandfather had a bleeding ulcer in the 1950s, but no one was surprised by it because he had so much stomach pain.

Yes, they did know about ulcers back then. Robert has known about his ulcer for some time now - he has just chosen not to do anything about it playing up this season.

I do have one nagging question about Tom? What is he living on? I mean, did he inherit anything from Sybil? Who pays for his clothes...does he have an allowance?

Or is he paid as an estate agent? I have always been mystified that he does not have an accent the gives his origins away, as that as always been a tell for the caste conscious British...I suppose that having he be Irish is meant to bridge that. But still...

Tom would have been paid as the estate agent, and it would have been a very good salary - much better than anything he could hope to have made as a chauffeur or jobbing journalist. More than enough to support himself in a household where all his living expenses are already covered anyway (the position moves him squarely into the upper middle class). As estate agent, his lowly origins aren't as important - no one is trying to pass him off as the same class as the family, but his position gives him respectability in their social gatherings.

ETA what the show hasn't made clear, however, is whether or not Tom has officially taken up his former position and is drawing a salary once more, or is simply living off his savings now that Mary has stepped into the role and helping out voluntarily. Mary wouldn't have drawn a salary as estate agent, as she already draws an income from the estate.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

He said it was because he realized they were his family and he missed them, that Downton had become his home, and that he shouldn't have taken Sybbie away from them.

I still can't undertand it. Normally adult children down't live with their parent's home but have their own. And Tom is only in-law. He can never move on if he lives in Downton.

Despite all talk of Tom being family and Downton beings his home, he is treated differently. He can't even invite own guests.