Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Battle Of The Three Armies / S02.E10: The One True King (To Unite Them All)

I don't know the actor I'd choose, but I'm thinking that they would go with a Darth Vader scenario.

Richard's dad isn't really dead.  He became the DEL.

LOL!  I thought he went to the Enchanted Forest with "Uncle" Keith...

But, that is a very interesting thought.  I'm not sure I like it because it keeps far too much of the focus of the show on Richard and the last time I checked, the show is still called "Galavant".  Maybe twist the Darth Vader scenario up and make the DEL Galavant's mother, who we haven't met yet (we only heard her shrilly screaming at his dad off-screen in S1).

LOL!  I thought he went to the Enchanted Forest with "Uncle" Keith...

But, that is a very interesting thought.  I'm not sure I like it because it keeps far too much of the focus of the show on Richard and the last time I checked, the show is still called "Galavant".  Maybe twist the Darth Vader scenario up and make the DEL Galavant's mother, who we haven't met yet (we only heard her shrilly screaming at his dad off-screen in S1).

Actually, I want more focus on Galavant too.  So how about the DEL is a heretofore unknown evil twin of Galavant's given up at birth and set loose on the realm to wreak havoc by Madalena.  There are about eighty billion ways that creates havoc and storylines.  You thought brown farts caused problems.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

Actually, I want more focus on Galavant too.  So how about the DEL is a heretofore unknown evil twin of Galavant's given up at birth and set lose on the realm to wreak havoc by Madalena.  There are about eighty billion ways that creates havoc and storylines.  You thought brown farts caused problems.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh, to quote Madalena, "Hells yeah!"  I effin' LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!  That's so completely brilliant!

Can you imagine the look on Madalena's face when she meets the DEL for the first time?!  And what an opportunity for Josh - to play a Dark Evil Lord who is also a fashion consultant - talk about complete opposite of Galavant!

• Love 4

I must confess, this idea has now made it to the top of my wishlist. I didn't realize how badly I need to see Joshua Sasse play an evil and flamingly swishy wizard until this very moment.

I'm settling into my new hobby of continuously watching episodes 9 and 10 on ABC.com and OnDemand to help contribute to the ratings. They haven't gotten old as of about a dozen viewings apiece, though it's possible my neighbors will stage an intervention at some point.

• Love 5

I re-watched tonight and am popping back in to acknowledge MJ's brilliance in this ep. Every line, every lyric, every expression were delivered gloriously. Triumphant hands on hips: "BIGDAY!" Smokebang "D'Dew!" Deflated: "he *really seemed upset about the vacation..." Indignant: "Hey! That hooky thing is mine!" Chin up - bighairdon'tcare: "...thanks for the love." Dumbfounded: "he really *was the one. Are you fucking kidding me??" An absolute delight.

Also, because I forgot to mention earlier - loved the Jester's throwaway line - "oh! Thank you! Thanks! I'm here all week! (Unless I die...)"

• Love 4

The more I think about it, the more I think that this would be a GREAT move by the show-runners.  One of the biggest complaints we had about Isabella's storyline was that she was off in Hortensia by herself, removed from the rest of the main cast members.  In spite of some fabulous recurring cast (Jester, her parents, Chef & Gwynne, plus Wormwood & Barry), the isolation was still painfully obvious because she didn't get to interact with any of the main cast members save Galavant in a couple of dream sequences.  The show-runners have essentially set up a S3 Madalena as even more isolated than S2 Isabella.  Sure, Madalena can magically transport herself as we saw in the finale, however, she'd likely be with the DEL for at least a couple of episodes if not more to start off S3.  Making the DEL Galavant's given-up-at-birth twin at least gives Mallory Jansen a main cast member to interact with and play off of, and would go a long ways towards making the character of Madalena not feel so isolated while she's learning the Dark Dark Evil Ways.

I re-watched tonight and am popping back in to acknowledge MJ's brilliance in this ep. Every line, every lyric, every expression were delivered gloriously. Triumphant hands on hips: "BIGDAY!" Smokebang "D'Dew!" Deflated: "he *really seemed upset about the vacation..." Indignant: "Hey! That hooky thing is mine!" Chin up - bighairdon'tcare: "...thanks for the love." Dumbfounded: "he really *was the one. Are you fucking kidding me??" An absolute delight.

She was soo, SO good this season. Muuuch better than last season. I loved her and her wardrobe and everything. MVP of the season, for me. I also loved that she was the one that started to clap after the Jester’s song and she was all "hey, the boy can sing". I also loved the Evil Queen vibe of the her last scene.

• Love 3

PS: This entire thread has been as enjoyable to me as the eps! Thanks for having me on this hero's journey!

PPS: (DORK ALERT) Do we have a fandom nickname? Galavanteers? Superbelievers? "WE ARE TAD COOPER." 

• Love 5

[snip]

To see the joke done originally and brilliantly, check the link:

Thank you, Happytobehere, for that wonderful clip - you have a great memory!  I don't have a clip for the House quote, but it was definitely done on the show, with House making the quote uniquely his with his "ass out of YOU to ME."  It was in one of the early seasons.  Anyway, I loved the way it was used on Galavant, with the use of "pres" instead of "ass."  I love those little humorous moments as much as I love the big ones.

Edited by HyacinthBucket
PPS: (DORK ALERT) Do we have a fandom nickname? Galavanteers? Superbelievers? "WE ARE TAD COOPER."

The TCBS, the Tad Cooper Believers Society? (My inner child likes it because it has BS in it lol) I do like Superbelievers. We could be the fourth...wait, fifth army? We've got the Hortencians, the Valencians, the Undead, the Season 2 Extras...yeah, Fifth Army aka, the Army of Super Believers.

I did love the pres out of me and you joke.

• Love 4

PS: This entire thread has been as enjoyable to me as the eps! Thanks for having me on this hero's journey!

Galavanters - that's what we're called by Karen David & some of the other cast/crew folks on various social media.  :-)

• Love 2

Aw, it ought to have been at least Galavanteers to go with the medieval theme.

LOL!  Well, it was already the name by the time I discovered the Galavant Twitter fandom.  Same with Galabella.  I do take some credit for Garalena though. ;-)

I keep rewatching the Jester's recap because I can't get the song out of my head, and I really love how at the end of the song before everyone starts to clap, he looks one way, but has his (I don't know what it's called; jester head on a stick?) look the other way. It amuses me.

Edited by DeepPoet117
  • Love 5

I'm going way back here, but I would have sold my own soul for Brian Blessed to make a cameo just for a "Tad Cooper *lives*!" line. Or "Cooper's *ALIVE*!"

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

I was wondering if they would show the DEL (Dark Evil Lord), but alas not.

An evil version of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo. I love this show. I'm upset that we'll never see who will play the DEL and see Madelena be the Dark Evil Queen or the DEQ.

I'm glad they didn't -- that way they can cast whoever's available when (not if) filming for Season 3 starts.

This show is brilliant even the occasional moments that don't hit perfectly (I didn't really care for Izzy's war speech) are minor compared to the brilliant moments.

You have to hear Isabella's speech in context of the "St. Crispen's Day speech"  from Henry V  (.

I don't think Madalena's the vengeful type (hey, she's not Regina!)

It's funny -- I thought Madelena looked like Regina when she knocked on the DEL's door.

But Maldelena owns her evil!

• Love 1

Was it intended to be based on St. Crispen's Day? That's what I immediately thought when she started talking. 

I think it had to be.  The writers know that references like that will be picked up, so they let us geeks have our fun.

• Love 1

God, I love this show! I don't think I've seen a more perfect hour of television since Alias' second season.

As an unabashed Galabella shipper, I could not have been happier with the resolution to their story arc this season. We needed that after the cliffhanger of an ending we got with season 1.

Chef & Gwynne building their house in the middle of the battlefield was hilarious, as was Sid arriving with the "season 2 extras" army to save the day - most especially the Enchanted Forest dance music playing as that army marched into battle. I could not have been prouder and sadder for Gareth. I appreciate the loyalty he has to his own code of integrity - and his unwavering faith in his ability to win the battle without using dark magic. My heart broke for him when Madalena refused him in the end. You could see his heartbreak during the Galabella wedding and afterwards when he asked Sid to join him on his quest to save Madalena from herself. We need a third season, if only so that Gareth can have the resolution to his story that he has absolutely earned. I don't know if that's finding a way to get through to Madalena and turn her away from the D'DEW or if it's moving on - but I want to go on that journey with this show.

I'm still not 100% on board with Richerta and, honestly, as much as I appreciate Tim Omundson's talent and charisma, I'm really not entirely sure how I feel about him being the "one true king". All he did was kill Wormwood. It's not as though he really led any of the armies - that was all Galavant. Heck, even Sid said, when he arrived with his reinforcements, that everyone joined the cause when they heard that Galavant needed help. I really felt for Galavant when he sank down at the end of the battle and, sort of despairingly, commented that he thought he would be the "one true king". This is Galavant's show and as much as King Richard has been the breakout character, even the writers themselves acknowledged that Galavant is the hero that the people unite behind. And, as perfect as that Galabella reunion and wedding always will be, I want a third season to see how Galavant really handles retirement. Eventually, Isabella will rule Valencia and he'll be her consort. It would be interesting, I think, to see Galavant struggle with his position as support rather than the natural-born leader he is.

As it is, if Richard really is the "one true king" (and I saw someone else comment on Twitter that they thought Isabella should have been the "one true queen", so not all of the Galavant fandom is on board with Richard kind of just happening into this), I do think there's a story to mine there because I can't see him being a perfect king the second time around. I see him, because this is spoiled, coddled Richard who asked for a "timeout" in the middle of battle (hilarious, by the way!) reverting, from time to time, back to his petty, tyrannical ways sometimes. He will falter sometimes. That's human nature and this show knows how to tap into that. It has so much heart and humor.

Overall, I really loved tonight's episodes. If these are the last we have of Galavant, so be it, I can always binge-watch both seasons and wind up entirely satisfied. I just feel like there's a third act necessary, with resolution to Madalena embracing the D'DEW and Gareth. Plus, I am greedy and want to see what happens after the "happily ever after" storybook ending. It's so perfectly Disney at this moment and while Galavant has it's strong Disney pedigree, it's always been a slightly twisted Disney.

For those asking how to help get a third season - the cast & crew are encouraging everyone to tweet #RenewGalavant #GalavantSeason3 and #FightForLoveS3 to @ABCNetwork @bensherwood @klikkonthis @HeidyHidyHoberg @Dan_Fogelman. I saw something earlier this week that apparently Twitter & Facebook trends/hashtags are going to somehow be factored into ratings by Nielsen, so if the network knows that we are a passionate, dedicated fanbase, then that could increase the chances for another surprise renewal.

Also, re-watch the episodes on your DVRs, on ABC's website, at Hulu, on YouTube, etc, and keep trying to recruit more fans.

I just enjoyed putting my rarely used Twitter account to work doing some renew galavant tweets...and the fact that there is a Tad Cooper account just made my day.

I heart this show. I hope we get to see the cast again.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1

I just enjoyed putting my rarely used Twitter account to work doing some renew galavant tweets...and the fact that there is a Tad Cooper account just made my day.

I heart this show. I hope we get to see the cast again.

There are two or three Tad Cooper accounts, two Kings Beard accounts, and accounts for the Jewel of Valencia, Isabella's Amulet, Richard's Unicorn and Galavant's Sword.  It's pretty darned funny reading the tweets from those accounts.  I particularly love the interaction between the Jewel of Valencia and Gen Allenbury assuming her Queen of Valencia role for the fans.  I'm surprised no one's made up an account for the Crown of Valencia or Madalena's Tooth yet.

The cast and crew are just so amazing to interact with via Twitter.  Some are more active than others but it's pretty much a mutual love & appreciation fest between them and the Galavant fandom.

My favorite small moment of the episode was Joshua Sasse's perfect "Whaaaaat?!" when Richard pulled the sword in and out of the stone. I love everyone in the cast but his ability to deliver those funny reactions in such a natural way when I imagine it would be easy (and tempting) to go bigger is such a big part of why the show works.

• Love 3

I finally got to sit down and watch these episodes and now I am simultaneously joyful and sad! 

The Jester absolutely murdered that recap song (which I have listened to like 5 or 6 times now).  I do wish he would have been the one to end it and I would have liked another cameo from Jean Hamm but aside from those two little things I loved these last two episodes.

This is just such a perfect little gem of a show.

I super believe in you Tad Cooper (also season 3)! I also want that shirt!

• Love 1

I love that the cast interacts with fans on Twitter, even when they just like a tweet of a fan. Mallory, Karen and Luke have all liked at least one of my tweets, Karen even replied to one. It's also nice to know that you can tweet them how much you love their work and that they see it and that it makes them feel happy to have touched someone's heart with their performance. I also interacted a bit with the cast of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Twitter, who are also wonderfully active there.

I hate it though when people use Twitter to spread hatred. I feel like if you don't have anything nice to say to a person or about a person, then just don't say/tweet anything.

Indeed.  The cast and crew of Once Upon a Time used to be just as fun and interactive with the fans, until a certain shipper sect of fandom (which shall remain nameless) became so toxic that it completely killed Twitter for that show with just a few rare exceptions.  So help me, if the same thing happens with Galavant, I will personally hunt down each and every troll for the ass-kicking of its life!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

I keep rewatching the Jester's recap because I can't get the song out of my head, and I really love how at the end of the song before everyone starts to clap, he looks one way, but has his (I don't know what it's called; jester head on a stick?) look the other way. It amuses me.

Thank you for mentioning this.  I hadn't really noticed/paid attention to this, but now rewatching this, it might be my favorite part of the song.  It is just so perfect how he does it (twice from 2 different angles!!)  I agree that the Jester really should have had the final song of the show as well, as great as Weird Al's was.  That recap song is gold.

• Love 3

If Glee can be one honkin' grand slam hit, why can't this show?? </whiiiiiiine>

On topic: did everyone else (as opposed to me saying "anyone else", because you all are so damn observant) get a smallish kick out of the "Titanic" reference during the Madalena/Wormwood duet? Her arms outstretched, him holding her waist from behind, and a throwaway line of "Don't let go..."?

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 3

Finally got to see it.  Wacky fun on the whole, and it made my lip ends turn up continuously.  I agree there were things that didn't land this season, as with the first, but overall it was delightful.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 1

From S2.07/S2.08:

It's going to be a jam-packed (Mmmmmmmm... jam... drool) finale, with all the pieces they've got to do:

1. Let Isabella fight, and not just Madelena. I want to see her kick some army ass
2. Tad Cooper -- is he or isn't he?
3. Roberta comes to save Richard
4. The Rightful Ruler of the Realm -- will Richard revert once he becomes King again?
5. D'DEW

Uh, you forgot... 6. Reunite Isabella & Galavant.

1. Let Isabella fight, and not just Madelena. I want to see her kick some army ass -- WHOOP
2. Tad Cooper -- is he or isn't he? -- Super believe it now!
3. Roberta comes to save Richard -- Richard saved Roberta; close enough
4. The Rightful Ruler of the Realm -- will Richard revert once he becomes King again? -- Find out next season!
5. D'DEW -- D'Done!

6. Reunite Isabella & Galavant -- In a cabin by the sea with 4.5 kids

They did 5 out of 6 -- that's pretty good!

• Love 1

From S2.07/S2.08:

1. Let Isabella fight, and not just Madelena. I want to see her kick some army ass -- WHOOP

2. Tad Cooper -- is he or isn't he? -- Super believe it now!

3. Roberta comes to save Richard -- Richard saved Roberta; close enough

4. The Rightful Ruler of the Realm -- will Richard revert once he becomes King again? -- Find out next season!

5. D'DEW -- D'Done!

6. Reunite Isabella & Galavant -- In a cabin by the sea with 4.5 kids

They did 5 out of 6 -- that's pretty good!

Not even close enough on #3!  Total opposite, in fact.  Roberta wanted nothing to do with the warfare while Richard was on the battlefield.  However, I'll give you half credit since they did reunite Richard & Roberta.

I know if I fear that someone I'm in love with is going into a dangerous situation that I'd be much better suited to handling, I'm sure as hell not going to leave them in the lurch to avoid being upset by the sight of their demise. I'd be right there alongside protecting them (or more likely, in my case, setting up a sniper position and shooting anyone who gets too close to them).

• Love 6

I know if I fear that someone I'm in love with is going into a dangerous situation that I'd be much better suited to handling, I'm sure as hell not going to leave them in the lurch to avoid being upset by the sight of their demise. I'd be right there alongside protecting them (or more likely, in my case, setting up a sniper position and shooting anyone who gets too close to them).

Hi @Bruinsfan! Um, if you are auditioning for new best friends, I'd like to apply. kthxbai

• Love 5

The only rationale that I can come up with for Roberta doing such a 180 from how she had previously been characterized/presented to us is that the love was so new and fragile that she felt like the solution was to run away from it rather than lose it entirely should Richard die in battle.  Or, well, that's the only rationale that I can come up with that makes the least bit of sense if you eliminate "the writers were going for some dramatic tension in the outcome of Richerta as well as needing Richard to be on his own in order to fulfill his fate as The One True King to Unite Them All."

Of course, this all goes back to my long-standing opinion about Roberta being nothing more than a Mary Sue-ish, romantic foil with absolutely zero character development prior to her introduction.  The more I re-watch and re-listen to the episodes where she's a significant factor, the more I really hate just how shoved down my throat and clunky the growth of Richerta was.  It's especially galling because I know the writers can do better.  They didn't hit us over the head in the first season with Galavant & Isabella nearly as often or as obviously as they did with Richard & Roberta. 

And I'm really thinking that we need a couple of new discussion threads...  One for Roberta and one for the romantic relationships on the show (I can't think of a good title for that second one though).

So, I liked Season 1 a tad better, although Season 2 was definitely good too.  Perhaps it was that I recognized more of the guest stars in S1 than in S2.

I liked that we got a 'mostly' ending for the crew, in case it doesn't get renewed, but a couple of loose threads in case lightning strikes twice and we get a third season.

Just love this fun, funny and joyous show and feel so grateful it got a second season. I know it's greedy to hope for a third, but would love to see it happen. This and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are my TV happy places right now! ... Which means that when I think realistically about either of their renewal chances I pretty much have to do so while covering my ears and singing, "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Love 3

Just love this fun, funny and joyous show and feel so grateful it got a second season. I know it's greedy to hope for a third, but would love to see it happen. This and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are my TV happy places right now! ... Which means that when I think realistically about either of their renewal chances I pretty much have to do so while covering my ears and singing, "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"

I super believe we'll get another season.

• Love 6

Stuck in my room with the AC this weekend and rewatched all of season 2. It was *just as enjoyable. I had forgotten so much! (Shame) I think I had blocked out the joy with my disappointment at no more Gal pal and the one true king. These last two eps - from the Jester's opening number to Madalena going to see DEL to "I have a *dragon*!" were sublime. Sigh. 

Now i'm sad all over again. 

• Love 5