Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Battle Of The Three Armies / S02.E10: The One True King (To Unite Them All)

I loved the way Richard and Galavant were teamed up this season, and became best buddies.  As others have said, Richard was the standout for me, so much so that I started watching Psych on Netflix!  Timothy O. is an amazing actor with quite a range of talents. 

Everyone else has already mentioned the best parts of these last two episodes, but I'll add one more.  I don't have access to the original quote, but it was something like, "When you presume, you make a pres out of you and me."  Pres?  Hee hee!  It makes me think of one of House's funny lines, "When you assume, you make an ass out of you TO me."  

I have managed to bring in a few more viewers to the show this season, but unfortunately, they don't have Nielsen boxes.  If anyone has a plan to try and keep this around, count me in!  Everyone I know who watches it, loves it as much as we all do here.

Edited by HyacinthBucket
  • Love 3

Okay, final thoughts of the season:

-while still vastly superior to most of the stuff on tv, I'm a little torn about this season. It was still all around very well done, but there were a few things that I thought were "meh."

Pros and cons are mixed together:

-the episodes were "meh" for me up until exactly half way through. I'd sooner watch the back half again than the first 4 episodes.

-sorry King Richard, but Madalena was the mvp of the season for me. Gareth also had lovely development (Richard did too).

-i thought Galavant, Izzy (at least up until the stupid crown was destroyed) and Sid had the weakest development/story lines. Galavant didn't have much to do, Izzy's crown storyline was blah, and while Sid got to interact with other characters, he didn't have a very substantial stoyline this season either.

-didn't like how wishy-washy the Jester seemed to be throughout everything.

-I like Roberta and Richerta, but Roberta was underutilized in the finale. IMO she should have shown up at the battle field with Sid. If we get a season 3 I hope she gets developed more.

-i didn't mind all the musical homages this year, but I hope if we get a season 3 that there's a better mix of original vs homage songs.

-one thing that annoyed me. Every episode (I'm pretty sure it was every episode), Izzy had to make a, "although I'm a feminist...[insert Galavant come help me/you mentioned a wedding/etc.] comment. Yes Isabella. You are awesome. but I thought her making a side comment about it every episode was too much. I get it, you're a feminist. Stop hitting the audience over the head with it.

-the writing was still tighter and stronger this year than last year.

-enjoyed most of the guest cast

-did I miss the part where Izzy found out about the zombie army? All the sudden she was talking about the zombies and she hadn't interacted with them or Galavant or whoever yet, or did she just figure it out?

-at least some of the story lines had proper closure. If we don't get a season 3 it'll be up to fanfic writers to write about all the Gareth and Sid adventures and evil Madalena, etc.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

I've been a huge fan of Timothy since his "Judging Amy" days, and then loved him on Psych. However, this is the role that really allowed him to be his wonderful, silly self. (He's apparently a notorious prankster on the set of his shows).  I loved every moment of him on Galavant and the season finale did not disappoint me. I desperately want to see more of him, and Tad Cooper (whom I too super believed in). For those who have Spotify, the songs from Season 2 are now available. I am now going to super believe in Season 3 happening. 

• Love 7

A terrific ending to a great season. A strong contender for the most improved show of the year (or, well, TV-year). 

But hell, do I want more! Especially of the Dark Lord (so much narrative potential) and Madalena! And they could riff more on Arthurian stuff with Madalena as Morgana and Richard as Arthur. Could be awesome. No idea how they could involve Isabella and Galavant, though. I felt like this season has been more of an ensemble (which is great, I love them), and weirdly, I kinda feel like I could live with Gal and Izzy just chilling out off-screen with their happily ever after.

Some criticism: Roberta just wasn't developed enough. I think she was unneeded this season - Richard could have gone through his arc without her and it could work just as well. 

I thought of the perfect way to involve Gal & Izzy next season...  Say we pick up the story a year later, which will have given Madalena time to perfect her dark arts, and, vowing vengeance, she arrives at Gal & Izzy's cottage by the sea where Richard & Gal are anxiously waiting outside while Roberta is midwife as Izzy gives birth to the first Galabella offspring, and Madalena kidnaps the newborn.  Something like that gives Gal & Izzy a baby but we don't have to see it on-screen nor do the showrunners have to deal with having a baby on set (heck, they could make it into a running gag that the viewers never see the baby, at least not until the end of the season when Gal & Izzy get their child back), and it would set them off, along with Richard & Roberta, to put an end to Madalena once and for all.

• Love 1
Except then we wouldn't have had him dashing after her and telling her he loved her before she boarded the boat to Spinster Island, which is the ending to every rom-com ever.

Oh, it was a great scene, don't get me wrong. But Roberta was so, so undeveloped! I hate the "generic love interest" trope with a passion, and, unfortunately, that's what she was.

Plus, I think leaving Richard's LI for the next season (assuming we get on) would be a better decision. I feel like he got too much, too early. And everyone magically forgets he was an evil conqueror not that long ago. I mean, I love Richard, but come on. 

I thought of the perfect way to involve Gal & Izzy next season...  Say we pick up the story a year later, which will have given Madalena time to perfect her dark arts, and, vowing vengeance, she arrives at Gal & Izzy's cottage by the sea where Richard & Gal are anxiously waiting outside while Roberta is midwife as Izzy gives birth to the first Galabella offspring, and Madalena kidnaps the newborn.  Something like that gives Gal & Izzy a baby but we don't have to see it on-screen nor do the showrunners have to deal with having a baby on set (heck, they could make it into a running gag that the viewers never see the baby, at least not until the end of the season when Gal & Izzy get their child back), and it would set them off, along with Richard & Roberta, to put an end to Madalena once and for all.

I don't think Madalena's the vengeful type (hey, she's not Regina!) She's more of a power-hungry type. She'd annoy the hell out of Isabela, given the chance, but I don't think she'd waste her resources for baby-snatching. I'd prefer her to be scheming to conquer the seven realms.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Oh, it was a great scene, don't get me wrong. But Roberta was so, so undeveloped! I hate the "generic love interest" trope with a passion, and, unfortunately, that's what she was.

Plus, I think leaving Richard's LI for the next season (assuming we get on) would be a better decision. I feel like he got too much, too early. And everyone magically forgets he was an evil conqueror not that long ago. I mean, I love Richard, but come on. 

I don't think Madalena's the vengeful type (hey, she's not Regina!) She's more of a power-hungry type. She'd annoy the hell out of Isabela, given the chance, but I don't think she'd waste her resources for baby-snatching. I'd prefer her to be scheming to conquer the seven realms.

Unless the Dark Evil Lord (I've spent all night trying to cast them in my head) says a baby is necessary for dark evilness.

I'm just open to any and all ideas that could lead this to a third season.

• Love 1

Unless the Dark Evil Lord (I've spent all night trying to cast them in my head) says a baby is necessary for dark evilness.

I'm just open to any and all ideas that could lead this to a third season.

That's how I see it...  And, honestly, I could see Madalena not wanting Galavant & Isabella to have any sort of happily ever after.  Plus, I was trying to think of how to involve Gal & Izzy in a third season that wouldn't seem like they aren't, especially the titular character, central to any storyline.  This whole season Galavant was on a quest to rescue Isabella and yet he felt ridiculously sidelined by most of Richard's character development.

I also agree with those who believe that Richard's love interest should have been saved for a third season entirely.  It probably would have helped alleviate some of the issues we've commented about here when discussing the development of this season.

I liked this show so much last year. This year I just love it to death. Please just one more season!

I think there is a chance and I will cling to that hope until the jester sings "and that's the tale of Galavant!".

• Love 7

Well, they'd need to cast some of the leaders of the remaining kingdoms and flesh them out a little bit. Then, Richard would want to unite them because of the destiny thing, Madalena would want to conquer them,and the other leaders would maybe side with one of them or rise against both. Gareth and Sid already have a quest. As for Gal and Izzy.. does anybody honestly believe they'll be happy without any heroics? They'll probably be sick of domestic bliss just a few weeks after their honeymoon. And then Richard can make them his knights or something.

• Love 1

Galavant being largely sidelined in his own series was one of my disappointments this year. I also think the separated storylines made the narrative less than it could have been, even if the individual plots were enjoyable (and I'm counting Chef and Gwen in the Hortensia plot, so even that one was). Also, while the resolution of Galavant, Isabelle, and Richard's romantic storylines made for a sweet fairy tale resolution (and Madalena and Gareth falling for one another was also a hoot), I missed the sexiness of the first season. It seemed a number of those episodes were really ribald, but only "A New Season/Suck It, Cancellation Bear!" was this time around.

Based on Wormwood's reaction to how quickly Madalena got over her objection to baby sacrifice, I don't think the DDEW folks practice it regularly. Though I do think she might bear enough of a grudge over Izzy beating her to engage in some vengeance, even if she's not particularly hung up on any of her exes. Still, I vote for Izzy and Galavant to start having their 3/5/7 children only after the series finale.

• Love 3

- "I have a dragon" That got to be one of the best series ending lines ever ;)

I knew it as soon as he dragged a sheep with him, I believe that was a GoT shout out :)

I like TO in Psych (except for part of 1st season), but I think King Richard was a role he was born to do :D

A bunch of little touches I noticed and liked:

- Chef and Gwen did not move that far away from Hortensia

- The "hwoaa" chanting/background sound that played whenever Richard retrieved his sword from the stone.

- Sid inherited Galavant's armor

- Barry was the wedding planner at Galavant's wedding

I can't believe that's the same guy who cried when he got jam on his fancy pants!

I thought they said "jelly" instead of "jam" ?

• Love 5

My sister and I have decided that the Dark Evil Lord should be Adele. Because: Amazingly Dark Evil Lord, Esquire. Obviously.

• Love 2

Yes, it seemed that he never really got his moment in the sun.

And practically everyone else did. Poor Gal.

I feel like his lack of involvement lessened the whole "I want to settle down" stuff. Nothing really happened to him this season. Except him dying for like, 5 minutes. I can understand Izzy wanting to be done because she was put through the wringer this season. But Gal? Not as much.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Way to save the best for last! This was a great ending. I hope we get season three.

Loved everything; there was so much meta, and I loved it ALL!

Great casting/singing with young Richard and Young Gareth. I don’t think I want them to add kids to this, but that number with King Richard and his inner child was really good.

“Shut up, Menken!” made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Happy endings, yay! Glad they learned from last year’s cliffhanger.

Tad Cooper! #ibelieve

• Love 3

What does it say about my investment in this show that I got really upset when I thought Wormwood had actually killed Tad Cooper? Overall this was the best possible ending they could have given us, but I tend to agree that Isabella and Roberta were really the weak links this season; neither character really had good story arcs, and while it was nice to give Richard a love interest she sort of came out of nowhere and was under-developed. 

Didn't care much for "Good Day to Die" but loved, loved the D-Dew song, and Wormword's attempt at a reprise until Madalena shut him down ("sorry it's just so darn catchy.") The recap song was great and so was the finale with The Monks.

{SIgh} farewell, Galavant. 

• Love 4

Loved it.  What a great ending.  Let's hope for "one more surprise renewal"!

Everything about these two episodes was so great, loved the Jester and the return of the theme song.  I busted out laughing at "Roberta's gone as well, since Richard's sure to die, and now she's on her way to Spinster Island".  The beauty was that in the second episode, we actually SAW her collecting her cat and chocolate and about to board a ship to Spinster Island!

The end of the first episode was hilarious. "Or will we leave all our viewers, with pain and anger, just like we did last year?  Could we just stop once again on a cliffhanger -----"  [CUT]  Too funny.

"Gary" Galavant!  I was waiting for them to say something about whether it was short for "Gareth".

And the two season long running joke with Sid getting ignored continued.  "Hey I got a line in the song!  I ----" [CUT]

Love this show, not holding my hopes up that it will be back.  If this is it, I hope they release a "complete series" DVD with extras.

• Love 6

I am a huge fan of how meta this show gets ("it's a good day to die....oh please, this isn't Game of Thrones." "would you like me to write you a theme, my king?....shut up, Menken") I just love the fact that while this show is many things, it doesn't take itself so seriously, and that makes it so much more fun.

However, that cliffhanger on ep 9 was very very rude, even if ep 10 aired right after. 

I've had some reservations about this season, like the rest of you, but I on whole I thought it was solid, and just as delightful as last. 

Also, I love that Isabella's armour doesn't have those annoying breast cups that i have seen around the internet, same with Madelena. 

Isabella just straight up knocking Madalena out, too. Just so great.

These two episodes were so good, the show at its best is when everyone is there!

• Love 3

I kept wondering which of Lil Richard's kid courtiers was Roberta, but they never said. 

I may need to make an "I super believe in you, Tad Cooper!" t-shirt. That's definitely what I'm calling out if I ever recognize a cast member on the street.

Edited by majormama
  • Love 6

An evil version of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo. I love this show. I'm upset that we'll never see who will play the DEL and see Madelena be the Dark Evil Queen or the DEQ.

I thought that song was more reminiscent of "A Spoonful of Sugar" from "Mary Poppins", but either way, I thought it was great.

• Love 4

I thought that song was more reminiscent of "A Spoonful of Sugar" from "Mary Poppins", but either way, I thought it was great.

That's what the actors said it was. Maybe I had "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" in my head because it was about magic. But on second watch it did sound like "Spoonful of Sugar"

• Love 1

Isabella just straight up knocking Madalena out, too. Just so great.

Lol I liked how Madalena actually dominated her fight vs Isabella until she got distracted by the un-DDEW / Richard breaking Wormwood's wand.  

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 2

Also, I love that Isabella's armour doesn't have those annoying breast cups that i have seen around the internet, same with Madelena.

It was worryingly low-cut for a breastplate, though. I think as far as battle gear goes, protecting one's heart ought to be a higher priority than showing off one's cleavage to best advantage. Galavant and Gareth were really the only main characters that looked like they were serious about gearing up for a fight (which, I suppose, makes sense as it's their actual livelihood).

• Love 2

Everyone else has already mentioned the best parts of these last two episodes, but I'll add one more. I don't have access to the original quote, but it was something like, "When you presume, you make a pres out of you and me." Pres? Hee hee! It makes me think of one of House's funny lines, "When you assume, you make an ass out of you TO me."

The joke is not from House. It was appropriated from the classic Odd Couple episode where Felix (Tony Randall) and Oscar (Jack Klugman) are falsely arrested for scalping and Felix gets the alleged victim to admit that without ascertaining the facts, she assumed that he [Felix] and Oscar were scalping tickets. Felix then writes on the blackboard conveniently located in the court that when you ASSUME -- You make an ASS of U and ME. I saw it as a little girl,and never forgot, how funny, clever and true it was (in fact when we get Odd Couple Marathons for New Year's, I always check for that episode). Given that all things old are new again, it might even have predate the Odd Couple, but I have never seen nor heard reference to the play on words prior to that show.

To see the joke done originally and brilliantly, check the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

The joke is not from House. It was appropriated from the classic Odd Couple episode where Felix (Tony Randall) and Oscar (Jack Klugman) are falsely arrested for scalping and Felix gets the alleged victim to admit that without ascertaining the facts, she assumed that he [Felix] and Oscar were scalping tickets. Felix then writes on the blackboard conveniently located in the court that when you ASSUME -- You make an ASS of U and ME. I saw it as a little girl,and never forgot, how funny, clever and true it was (in fact when we get Odd Couple Marathons for New Year's, I always check for that episode). Given that all things old are new again, it might even have predate the Odd Couple, but I have never seen nor heard reference to the play on words prior to that show.

To see the joke done originally and brilliantly, check the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvTwv5o1Qs

I think it was also used in the original Walter Matthau/Tatum O'Neal movie version of The Bad News Bears. I had seen it before this & I'm more sure than not that it was somewhere other than the Klugman/Randall version of The Odd Couple, & I'm pretty sure it was in BNB.

I hope this show gets renewed. While not always on point, I think it hits far more than it misses, and it certainly won me around after my very skeptical take on the first season. I think overall the second season was better, frankly, because I feel it really embraced its subversive guilty pleasure and innuendos. And of course, Timothy Omundson, who I just can't get enough of and hope we get more of him in this role.

If not, well, I shall be eternally grateful to him for providing me and my stylist with a vision of what to do with my hair.

When (not if, WHEN) Season 3 starts, I would like to see Anthony Head play the Dark Evil One.  But only in the first episode, and then be replaced by another actor.

This truly is a great show.  I don't know if they could keep the momentum and originality going forever, but I think they could get another season or two before even the most faithful get bored.

• Love 8

I loved every last second of it. too much fun. I can't even list all my faves - all of you have done it already!

I wish we had saved Rutger Hauer for DEL - he would have been perfect! Peter Weller? OR - is it secretly John Hamm???? (I wish he had made a surprise appearance with Sid's army!) Wouldn't Justin Timberlake be fantastic?? (Hey - a girl can dream!)

I will begin my twitter campaign using the info above. And will link to this thread to prove there are diehard fans!

• Love 2

It was worryingly low-cut for a breastplate, though. I think as far as battle gear goes, protecting one's heart ought to be a higher priority than showing off one's cleavage to best advantage. Galavant and Gareth were really the only main characters that looked like they were serious about gearing up for a fight (which, I suppose, makes sense as it's their actual livelihood).

I agree. It wasn't quite as apparent to me until a bit later in the episode (I think I didn't even notice it until Gal's proposal), but there was a very definite décolletage in the breastplate that looked like it could have been dangerous. Isabella's dual wielding and acrobatics were pretty deadly, though, so I guess she wasn't that concerned. And I'm still a little skeptical that Madelena could have been much of a threat to Isabella at all, but I guess we never really saw the true depths of her abilities until now. Or maybe she just picked up a thing or two from hanging with Galavant all those years.

As for the guys' armor, whoever decided to give Richard that Spanish conquistador style armor should be commended. Very appropriate, and it looked awesome.

Speculating on the Dark Dark Evil Lord's identity, they've already had a (literal) moustache twirling villain, I think maybe he should be something less obvious. No ideas offhand, though. Maybe they can get Nathan Lane?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 1

Well, Hinton Battle has proved exemplary in exactly that sort of role before. And Ralph Fiennes can sing, so seeing him do a comedic take on his most iconic role would be hilarious if ABC could find a spare truck of money to back up to his door.

• Love 2

I love this crazy, ridiculous, brilliant show. Personally I thought season 1 had a tighter overall storyline but the set pieces this year really stepped it up (notably Dwarves vs Giants, but the entire battle section filmed in the Moroccan desert was pretty freakin' awesome too). It was fun to see different characters interacting this year (Richard and Gal, Gareth/Madalena/Sid) though I agree that separating the storylines into little bubbles with no overlap didn't do a lot of favors. But overall, it was a hell of a lot of fun and I loved every second, just like last year.

My wish list for season 3 (I choose to live in blissful denial until forced to do otherwise):

- More Chef and Gwynne. Lots more. I realize they were limited by the actors' availability this season, but these two characters are essential to the show, hands down, and without them it lost something.

- Have Barry join the peanut gallery (Jester et al). I was glad to see him in the finale, apparently having taken over Wormwood's wedding planning business (hopefully without the evil). He had some good lines this year ("Maybe if you'd taken the time to teach instead of just yelling") and IMO he'd be a fun addition to the gang.

- More inclusive adventures. Bring everyone in to have their moment, and don't leave any of the main characters stuck on their own for episodes at a time.

- Wishful casting: John Cleese as the Dark Evil Lord. This show is just screaming for a Python to guest star, and why not? He could wear a tall, furry hat.

- More Tad Cooper! I super believe in him, too!

This has to be one of the cleverest shows television has seen in years, and I must have more, dammit! What kind of world would it be without Timothy Omundsen's glorious hair and Tad Cooper the iguana, I mean dragon?!

• Love 9

I wish we had saved Rutger Hauer for DEL - he would have been perfect! Peter Weller? OR - is it secretly John Hamm???? (I wish he had made a surprise appearance with Sid's army!) Wouldn't Justin Timberlake be fantastic?? (Hey - a girl can dream!)

- Wishful casting: John Cleese as the Dark Evil Lord. This show is just screaming for a Python to guest star, and why not? He could wear a tall, furry hat.

I was absolutely sold on Peter Weller until I saw John Cleese mentioned. Now I'm torn. I know in my head John Cleese is the perfect choice, but my heart just keeps playing with the idea of Peter Weller's voice instructing Madalena on developing a deep, dark... fashion sense.

• Love 2

I need a Season 3 for this because I am trilogy minded and I feel they could really wrap it all up with one more season. Unite the kingdoms and bring down Madalena for good. Plus, I reallllllly want to see Gareth and Sid on a quest together.

Echo those that said Galavant was a bit side-lined this season; but I do need him to trim the beard a bit. And I know it would blow the budget, but to see Richard flying on Tad Cooper would rock.

As far as specifics this episode, I loved Madalena's leather warrior outfit. She has really transformed from damsel in distress to hardcore bitch. I love it.

• Love 2

I think it was also used in the original Walter Matthau/Tatum O'Neal movie version of The Bad News Bears. I had seen it before this & I'm more sure than not that it was somewhere other than the Klugman/Randall version of The Odd Couple, & I'm pretty sure it was in BNB.

The Odd Couple ran from 1970-1975. The BNB came out in 1976. So even if used there and I think it was, OC still predates BNB.

• Love 1

I was absolutely sold on Peter Weller until I saw John Cleese mentioned. Now I'm torn. I know in my head John Cleese is the perfect choice, but my heart just keeps playing with the idea of Peter Weller's voice instructing Madalena on developing a deep, dark... fashion sense.

I see no reason why the Dark Evil Lord should not be played by a different actor each time.  He can shapeshift! 

• Love 5

I'm picturing Rick Moranis from Space Balls as the Dark Evil Lord. A kind of Oz moment, where he speaks to her in this big, booming voice, and then out comes this little pipsqueak. But I'd be happy with whoever they chose because it would mean the show is back. I would love to see Gareth and Sid's quest to save Madalena from the D'DEW. They can send postcards to Galavant making him jealous and missing his hero lifestyle only to find out that Isabella isn't as enamored of their quite life on the shore either and they go off on their own quest. Maybe to save Richard from Madalena. Plus, I want to see Tad Cooper find love. Maybe get a nice little cave by the sea. Have 3-7 little dragon babies. Tad deserves happiness.

And yes, I stopped breathing when I feared Tad Cooper might be dead. I actually said, this isn't the kind of show where people (or dragons) die! I always believed in you Tad Cooper!

• Love 4

Speculating on the Dark Dark Evil Lord's identity, they've already had a (literal) moustache twirling villain, I think maybe he should be something less obvious. No ideas offhand, though. Maybe they can get Nathan Lane?

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!

I kept wondering which of Lil Richard's kid courtiers was Roberta, but they never said. 

I may need to make an "I super believe in you, Tad Cooper!" t-shirt. That's definitely what I'm calling out if I ever recognize a cast member on the street.

How do I tag someone in a post??? GLARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK  @davidcole

• Love 3

I see no reason why the Dark Evil Lord should not be played by a different actor each time.  He can shapeshift! 

Best idea yet!

And my suggestion to the DEL casting is Carey Elwes - he can sing and dance and it would be such an amazing shout out to the fandom to have him in the role for an episode or two.

• Love 10

How do I tag someone in a post??? GLARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK  @davidcole

This has been forwarded to higher authorities. Fingers crossed!

• Love 6