Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Battle Of The Three Armies / S02.E10: The One True King (To Unite Them All)

Episode 9 (Battle of the Three Armies);

In their war against Valencia, all hope seems lost for Isabella and the people of Hortensia until Galavant arrives with his zombie army. Meanwhile, Gareth abandons Madalena after he realizes that she betrayed him and is learning (and using) the Dark Dark Evil Way.

Episode ten (The One True King (To Unite Them All)):

Under Madalena and Wormwood's spell, the zombie army revolt against Galavant and company, until Sid arrives with an unlikely army of his own. Galavant, Gareth, and Sid's army battle the Zombies while Isabella fights Madalena. Meanwhile, Richard goes after Wormwood, who attacks Tad Cooper, which provokes Richard to perform a (nearly) heroic act. Elsewhere, Gareth tries to reason with Madalena, but she is driven to learn how to use her newly acquired dark magic. At the end of the day, who will get their happily ever after.

Season finale!

Oh my goodness, that was wonderful! From the opening song recap, Isabelle's speech, the spoof of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo,  Gareth's loyalty, the Battle song, Richard's duet with his younger self, the Second Season Army from the Enchanted Forest, Happily Ever After, Tad Cooper, (except the sheep) I don't want it to end!

My lip ends twist down...

• Love 17

Great end to the season! I thoroughly enjoyed both episodes and am sad that's it's over. Hoping we get a 3rd season.

Glad everyone got their happy ever after school. Yay for Tad Cooper being a dragon!

• Love 17

Madalena looked so good this season. And the Gareth thing made her a MUCH better character. She was the standout for me this season.

I loved that Tad Cooper did turn out to be a dragon in the end. LMAO.

• Love 15

Yes! Tad Cooper was a dragon!!

Loved the return of the old theme and Weird Al! His final reprise was classic: "cheap ass cable network" indeed! LMAO!!

Izzy's wedding dress was so pretty. Would have loved to have one line about her parents paying for the wedding. They deserved it after the shit they put her through.

This was way better than season 1! Another please! I really want to see Sid and Gareth on a quest!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 13

So much to love (and this was much better than Grease Live) --

The Jester's recap at the beginning -- just in case I didn't have the original song running through my head before the show, it certainly is now.

Tad Cooper!

Mostly happily ever after!

Sid and the army from the Enchanted Forest (with a rainbow flag!).

Tad Cooper!

Each of the women getting a cat and chocolate for Spinster Island.

The D'Dew song.

And because it can't be said enough -- Tad Cooper is a dragon!  Richard has a dragon!

I really hope for a third season, but this'll do if we don't get one.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 13

Yes! Tad Cooper was a dragon!!

Loved the return of the old theme and Weird Al! His final reprise was classic: "cheap ass cable network" indeed! LMAO!!

Izzy's wedding dress was so pretty. Would have loved to have one line about her parents paying for the wedding. They deserved it after the shit they put her through.

This was way better than season 1! Another please! I really want to see Sid and Gareth on a quest!

I really liked Izzy's and Galavant's wedding attire. The both looked great in white!

• Love 7

Tad Cooper FTW!

I am both ridiculously happy and sad over Galavant tonight. This was the perfect ending to the story and I'm so sad that we'll probably never get a S3.

Loved that Tad Copper survived and grew up to be a real dragon.

Loved everything Richard, he was my favorite character. Loved his reunion with Gareth, becoming a hero and even getting the speeding ticket. I thought Richard and Young Richard's duet was perfect. I also enjoyed the Richard/Roberta reunion.

All of the songs tonight were perfect. I loved the Galavant reprise and the Dew do do Dew song. The war song was awesome as well.

Loved seeing the Monks again, i especially enjoyed Weird Al's ending song.

• Love 12

YAY!!! Return of the theme song! And the Monks. Although I sort of wished the Jester wrapped it up, because he owns that song.

Happy endings all around, although I was wondering if they would show the DEL (Dark Evil Lord), but alas not.

Tad Cooper is actually a dragon, I'm so pleased for Richard, unfortunately this show doesn't have a fraction of GOT money to show him.

Loved Sid getting the armies of all the people they ran into over the season (but not being able to afford the leaders.)

Aww at Gareth and Madelana, they bring out the best (and worst) in each other. Go get your girl, Gareth.

Izzy and Galavant (Gary?? lol) looked gorgeous at their wedding.

Give me a third season, NOW!!!

• Love 11

Tad Cooper! I always believed in you! 

That was amazing! It was brilliant! The songs! The return of the men and women of season 2 (the ones they could afford, of course), Izzy/Galavant wedding, THE MONKS! 

Wrapped up enough to make people happy, but still left enough open for a possible third season! Now...how are we going to get that third season? Do NOT make me call Tad Cooper in!

• Love 13

There you are Galavant theme song, I missed hearing you in my head for weeks.

I loved that both armies clapped for the Jester after his recap song. 

Of course Tad Cooper was a real dragon.

Gerry Galavant. LMAO. The second season army (the affordable ones).

An evil version of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo. I love this show. I'm upset that we'll never see who will play the DEL and see Madelena be the Dark Evil Queen or the DEQ.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

I seriously actually cried when the end credits started. It was such a rollicking good time, and yay Tad Cooper!!!!!! I always believed in you little buddy!, that even as I was smiling like an idiot at all the happy endings, and laughing at the injokey song, I was crying because I really don't think we will ever get to see another new episode of this gem of a show. This really did feel like a farewell, and than you show for giving us a proper ending this time.

(oops, I'm so excited and distraught that I hit save three times.)

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 8

It was good to see Chef and Gwin again - I was hoping for more, but I'd always want more when it comes to them.

I want another season, but this was a good ending since it seems unlikely.

Tad Cooper!  Yeah!

• Love 3

This show is brilliant even the occasional moments that don't hit perfectly (I didn't really care for Izzy's war speech) are minor compared to the brilliant moments. I loved Richard's Duet with his inner child, The Jester's recap song was great, the Tad Cooper stuff worked fabulously, Spinster island!!!!!, I loved the scene where Gareth told Richard to stand behind him and Richard told him he would instead stand with him, I did feel bad for Gareth and Madeline but I did like the show acknowledging there was love between them but in the end it was choice that separated them.

Hoping ABC forgets to cancel this show again.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Loved it, loved it, loved it. To think I almost cried at the near-death of an iguana/dragon.

The recap song was amazing, as was the final theme song montage. So many great character moments. Love the prospect of Sid and Gareth teaming up if this show pulls another rabbit out of the hat.

I'm a big fan of meta humor when it's done right and this show mostly nails it. Loved the cliffhanger ending to episode 9, as well as not being able to afford the leaders of any armies.

It's a shame that this show couldn't find a bigger audience. I'll never completely forgive ABC for that Pushing Daisies cancellation, but giving this show a second chance built back a large amount of goodwill toward the network for me. I follow the TV industry very closely, and my guess last year was maybe 30/70 renewal. This year I'm thinking more like 3/97. The ratings are just so terrible. A real shame. But we've got 18 wonderful episodes at least, and hopefully we can get a bluray box set at some point.

My only gripe is that there wasn't nearly enough chef and Gwen, but they've gone on record saying the actors had very limited availability, so I guess we can't hold that against them.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 10

Aww, I'm glad things were tied up reasonably well this time, even if I would love another season.  I hope they release both seasons on Blu-ray/DVD so I can watch it all over again from the beginning/force friends and family to watch it with me.

Tad Cooper, I super believe in you!

• Love 11

Wow, that was perfection.  Even still... I want a season three.  I'm greedy that way.   I suppose there is little chance, so I'm glad they wrapped everything up in such a satisfying manner.  But, I love the idea of Sid and Gareth going to find Madelena, and I want to go along for that journey.  

The Meta in this show cracks me up - little Menken offering to write young Richard a theme song, the cliffhanger ending of the first half hour, and the awesomness of the Monk song "...cheap-ass cable network."  Hee!

Maybe they can make enough profit on music and DVD sales along with international broadcasts and future streaming revenue to justify another season?

• Love 7

I wonder if it does well on streaming services. Maybe Hulu, Netflix or Amazon could pick it up if ABC doesn't. I could see it being on Netflix and being able to stream the whole season at once.

I loved everything about the finale. Yay Tad Cooper is an actual dragon. Yay to Galavant and Izzy and their future 7 or 3 children.

• Love 6

Goodbye, dear Galavant. I'd rather say my farewells now and come to terms with its departure rather than hold out slim hope. I will hope for another "surprise renewal."

I'm so grateful to this show for proving that even though mass audiences don't watch musical comedy, the network thought to give it another chance. Any time musicals air on TV, I believe it's a good thing.

Great ending. I liked that they kept Madalena "evil but conflicted." Three couples getting together would've felt too much like...well...the end of a musical.

I hope to see Timothy Omundson in other things -- to me, he was the breakout star of this show. Richard was a difficult character to pull off, but he always made it look incredibly easy.

::Still humming the theme song::

• Love 6

I agree with Madalena, the Jester does have quite the set of pipes. Ben Presley is the best singer of the regular cast IMHO, and with Ormundson, David, and Jansen that's not chopped liver.

Maybe they can make enough profit on music and DVD sales along with international broadcasts and future streaming revenue to justify another season?

I hope they get a DVD/Blu-Ray out on the market soon enough to be a factor in renewal decisions. I'm at the "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" stage of anticipation.

• Love 10

So many things:

-ben presley has a gorgeous voice. I agree with Madalena; that guy can sing. This is why I'm still frustrated over the "Comedy Gold" song. Epic ballads and such work much better for him.

-I lol'ed hard at Sid's army marching in with that disco-ish music.

-i was so happy when everyone was reunited

-HE'S GOT A DRAGON. I screamed out loud when Wormwood slapped Tad Cooper out of Richard's hand.

-the fighting was awesome

-Richard got his moment of glory. Yay for Richerta!

-yay for Galabella getting married!

-i also lol'ed at the sudden dramatic zoom in on Chef's face happened and the fact that they managed to build a home right in the middle of the battlefield.

-7 or 3 kids? Maybe Galabella will settle for 5?

-proud of Gareth for choosing the right side

-SHUT UP, MENKEN!

-nice to see the monks again

So one D'DEWer is a wedding planner, and the DEL is into fashion. I feel like there's a theme going on here.

I'll cover what I thought of this season as a whole tomorrow along with my favorite song list in the music thread tomorrow.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

We got a happy ending and a not-egregious cliffhanger, so if it doesn't get a third season, at least we got resolution.

Still, I would love to see a third season, where Gareth and Sid and a reluctant Galavant go on a quest to save Madelena from herself. Plus I really want to see the DEL who's also a fashion consultant.

So did Sid out himself when he came with his rainbow army?

Loved that Wormwood was a wedding consultant to the end.

• Love 7

I got teary eyed when I heard the Galavant theme song in the beginning, thinking it may be the last time I hear it. What a perfect episode! Finally got my Galabella, and Richard was a hero. Plus, Gareth and Richard were friends again and Sid came back. Absolutely adored the music that was on when the Enchanted army was introduced- I'm still giggling.

Please let there be a season three.

• Love 6
I hope to see Timothy Omundson in other things -- to me, he was the breakout star of this show. Richard was a difficult character to pull off, but he always made it look incredibly easy.

That was pretty much how I felt when he was on Psych.  And it transferred to this amazing show full of amazing people. 

These two episodes probably were my favorite hour of the series.  There was so much goodness I loved how Wormwood actually twirled his moustache.  Or discovering that Chef and Gwynn wre smack dab in the middle of the clashing armies.  All the jokes in the reprise of the "It's a Good Day to Die" song were perfect from people pointing out that there was a half an hour left so no one was going to die to the jester being cut off cliffhanger fashion. 

But the best part was how the show ended on Richard's delighted "I have a dragon."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 13

God, I love this show! I don't think I've seen a more perfect hour of television since Alias' second season. 

As an unabashed Galabella shipper, I could not have been happier with the resolution to their story arc this season.  We needed that after the cliffhanger of an ending we got with season 1. 

Chef & Gwynne building their house in the middle of the battlefield was hilarious, as was Sid arriving with the "season 2 extras" army to save the day - most especially the Enchanted Forest dance music playing as that army marched into battle.  I could not have been prouder and sadder for Gareth.  I appreciate the loyalty he has to his own code of integrity - and his unwavering faith in his ability to win the battle without using dark magic.  My heart broke for him when Madalena refused him in the end.  You could see his heartbreak during the Galabella wedding and afterwards when he asked Sid to join him on his quest to save Madalena from herself.  We need a third season, if only so that Gareth can have the resolution to his story that he has absolutely earned.  I don't know if that's finding a way to get through to Madalena and turn her away from the D'DEW or if it's moving on - but I want to go on that journey with this show.

I'm still not 100% on board with Richerta and, honestly, as much as I appreciate Tim Omundson's talent and charisma, I'm really not entirely sure how I feel about him being the "one true king". All he did was kill Wormwood.  It's not as though he really led any of the armies - that was all Galavant.  Heck, even Sid said, when he arrived with his reinforcements, that everyone joined the cause when they heard that Galavant needed help.  I really felt for Galavant when he sank down at the end of the battle and, sort of despairingly, commented that he thought he would be the "one true king".  This is Galavant's show and as much as King Richard has been the breakout character, even the writers themselves acknowledged that Galavant is the hero that the people unite behind.  And, as perfect as that Galabella reunion and wedding always will be, I want a third season to see how Galavant really handles retirement.  Eventually, Isabella will rule Valencia and he'll be her consort.  It would be interesting, I think, to see Galavant struggle with his position as support rather than the natural-born leader he is. 

As it is, if Richard really is the "one true king" (and I saw someone else comment on Twitter that they thought Isabella should have been the "one true queen", so not all of the Galavant fandom is on board with Richard kind of just happening into this), I do think there's a story to mine there because I can't see him being a perfect king the second time around.  I see him, because this is spoiled, coddled Richard who asked for a "timeout" in the middle of battle (hilarious, by the way!) reverting, from time to time, back to his petty, tyrannical ways sometimes.  He will falter sometimes.  That's human nature and this show knows how to tap into that.  It has so much heart and humor.

Overall, I really loved tonight's episodes.  If these are the last we have of Galavant, so be it, I can always binge-watch both seasons and wind up entirely satisfied.  I just feel like there's a third act necessary, with resolution to Madalena embracing the D'DEW and Gareth.  Plus, I am greedy and want to see what happens after the "happily ever after" storybook ending.  It's so perfectly Disney at this moment and while Galavant has it's strong Disney pedigree, it's always been a slightly twisted Disney.

For those asking how to help get a third season - the cast & crew are encouraging everyone to tweet #RenewGalavant #GalavantSeason3 and #FightForLoveS3 to @ABCNetwork @bensherwood @klikkonthis @HeidyHidyHoberg @Dan_Fogelman.  I saw something earlier this week that apparently Twitter & Facebook trends/hashtags are going to somehow be factored into ratings by Nielsen, so if the network knows that we are a passionate, dedicated fanbase, then that could increase the chances for another surprise renewal.

Also, re-watch the episodes on your DVRs, on ABC's website, at Hulu, on YouTube, etc, and keep trying to recruit more fans.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 10

As it is, if Richard really is the "one true king" (and I saw someone else comment on Twitter that they thought Isabella should have been the "one true queen", so not all of the Galavant fandom is on board with Richard kind of just happening into this), I do think there's a story to mine there because I can't see him being a perfect king the second time around.  I see him, because this is spoiled, coddled Richard who asked for a "timeout" in the middle of battle (hilarious, by the way!) reverting, from time to time, back to his petty, tyrannical ways sometimes.  He will falter sometimes.  That's human nature and this show knows how to tap into that.  It has so much heart and humor.

But he has a dragon!  A dragon! 

I think the show kind of left things a bit muddled.  For instance, the one king to "unite them all" really didn't unite all of the properties.  Isabella's parents got to return to rule Valencia.  (I wonder who gets Hortensia?)  Richard, presumably, would get back his kingdom.  And Richard messing up, with dragon in tow, is something I'd sign up for.

• Love 3

Other than Richard singing to his inner child this was a perfect wrap up to the season. So much meta humor and I'm glad that Madalena didn't completely thaw into a nice person at the end or die. It was a good way to leave one conflict open ended. Also so cool that she can teleport.

Such hilarity and randomness. 

• Love 3

Loved the Southwest Airlines style boarding of the boat to Spinster Island, though for the record I don't believe Southwest hands out cats and chocolate.

Tad really was a dragon! Go Tad!!

Oh I love this show. It makes the world better. Sunnier. Happier.

The jester wanting to resing the synopsis for Sid's army made me laugh. As did Madalena moving to the beat. So did Isabella's complaint that she's mostly been stuck in the same outfit for 2 years.

• Love 6

OK, tell me if I am wrong, but didn't Wormwood hit Tad with his wand? Anyone else think that could be an explanation on how Tad ended up a dragon?

And I love how I think they changed Madelana's hairstyle at the end and made her look like a Disney Evil Witch/Queen. Oh and of course the true master of the Dark Arts is a fashion consultant.

• Love 4

Of course Galavant's first name is Gary... Lol

This was awesome and way too short.

Loved the return of the original song. Jesters voice was awesome.

Sailing to Spinster Island comes with a cat and chocolates. Lol

Tiny Menchen offering to write songs for the king.

• Love 6

Based on everyone's reaction to his tale about the Enchanted Forest, I think Sid may have outed himself. If so, cool! Shame they couldn't get Kylie as a freebie guest though, since she's now Joshua's +1.

I really liked that Richard was so glad to see Gareth. It makes sense though, Gareth didn't actually betray him regardless of guilty feelings; he saved him from the consequences of Madalena's betrayal, and only supplanted him as king/Madalena's partner after Richard had been ousted and condemned to execution.

I'm still not 100% on board with Richerta and, honestly, as much as I appreciate Tim Omundson's talent and charisma, I'm really not entirely sure how I feel about him being the "one true king". All he did was kill Wormwood.  It's not as though he really led any of the armies - that was all Galavant.  Heck, even Sid said, when he arrived with his reinforcements, that everyone joined the cause when they heard that Galavant needed help.  I really felt for Galavant when he sank down at the end of the battle and, sort of despairingly, commented that he thought he would be the "one true king".  This is Galavant's show and as much as King Richard has been the breakout character, even the writers themselves acknowledged that Galavant is the hero that the people unite behind.  And, as perfect as that Galabella reunion and wedding always will be, I want a third season to see how Galavant really handles retirement.  Eventually, Isabella will rule Valencia and he'll be her consort.  It would be interesting, I think, to see Galavant struggle with his position as support rather than the natural-born leader he is.

But the thing is, he hasn't really demonstrated good leadership. He's the charming, popular guy that everyone likes and rallies around when others remind them of what a great guy he is, but it was actually Isabella, Sid, and Gareth that did all the leading. Galavant only managed to lead Richard (who imprinted on him like a baby duckling, er, dragon) and a mindless zombie army that turned out to be a huge threat to everyone thanks to Wormwood. I can easily see Galavant settling into a life of jousting for accolades and serenading, with Isabella making all the actual decisions.

I do wish they'd had a scene more clearly demonstrating the army of Richard's kingdom reacting to his victory and acknowledging him as the One True King. As it is, it feels like he regained his kingdom only because Gareth was more concerned with finding Madalena than ruling the people who actually followed him.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 5

I loved that Wormwood and Richard agreed to start their big confrontation a second time because it wasn't going well.

I am glad that we got mostly happy endings for everyone in case we don't get a third season. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though!

Everything about the finale was great. I loved Sid marching everyone from the Enchanted Forest over to help (with a rainbow flag, of course), the flashback to little Gareth and little Richard (ha!), the mandatory cat and chocolate handed out for the trip to Spinster Island, Chef and Gwen living in the middle of nowhere but still getting stuck in the middle of the battle, Wormwood using his last breath to recommend booking the wedding venue right away, and all the emotional moments (Gareth and Richard's quick and easy reconcililation, Gareth refusing to leave Richard, Richard really truly super believing in Tad Cooper). I got good songs, funny stuff, dramatic stuff, and everyone still obviously having such a good time. I will miss this show if this is the end.

• Love 8

A terrific ending to a great season. A strong contender for the most improved show of the year (or, well, TV-year). 

But hell, do I want more! Especially of the Dark Lord (so much narrative potential) and Madalena! And they could riff more on Arthurian stuff with Madalena as Morgana and Richard as Arthur. Could be awesome. No idea how they could involve Isabella and Galavant, though. I felt like this season has been more of an ensemble (which is great, I love them), and weirdly, I kinda feel like I could live with Gal and Izzy just chilling out off-screen with their happily ever after.

Some criticism: Roberta just wasn't developed enough. I think she was unneeded this season - Richard could have gone through his arc without her and it could work just as well. 

• Love 4

Some criticism: Roberta just wasn't developed enough. I think she was unneeded this season - Richard could have gone through his arc without her and it could work just as well.

Except then we wouldn't have had him dashing after her and telling her he loved her before she boarded the boat to Spinster Island, which is the ending to every rom-com ever.

The one sour note for me was Spinster Island. More accurately, the attitude the cliche represents.

Cliches are cliches because there is an element of truth in them. I don't take anything in "Galavant" too seriously because it was a silly, entertaining fairy tale. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7

That was one of the most meta endings I've seen ("Batman:  The Brave and the Bold" is the strongest other choice--but it was hard to top "we couldn't afford Princess Jubilee or the King of the Giants or any of the others you've met…"

I loved how they gave it an ending, but still left it open to a sequel.

Gareth's exit was moving, and Vinnie Jones played it perfectly.

And after a LONG running joke about Tad Cooper being just a lizard, it was a nice payoff.

As others have noted, I loved the boat to Spinster Island, "he's some chocolate, and a cat."  And the way they had A, B, and C boarding groups.

Karen David's inspirational speech might be her best work on the show, though the line about mostly wearing the same thing for two years comes close.

• Love 4