Type keyword(s) to search

Skyler White

On 4/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

So I'm watching Crawl Space right now, and I'm honestly trying to figure this out: was Beneke REALLY trying to blackmail Skyler, trying to get more money out of her? When I first saw it, the first couple of times, I was sure the answer was "of course he was." But watching it now...it's not nearly as clear. I'm at best a maybe.

I would say yes. Berneke seemed like a nice guy, but in truth he was selfish and dense.  He was using the company as an ATM to fund his lifestyle and he got a hail may lifeline and still does not want to to do the right thing, which was pay the tax bill.  It seems Skylar has a talent for attracting nebbish type guys with underlying criminal mindsets.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2017 at 1:04 PM, qtpye said:

I would say yes. Berneke seemed like a nice guy, but in truth he was selfish and dense.  He was using the company as an ATM to fund his lifestyle and he got a hail may lifeline and still does not want to to do the right thing, which was pay the tax bill.  It seems Skylar has a talent for attracting nebbish type guys with underlying criminal mindsets.

See, when I first watched it, I was 90% sure he WAS trying to get more out of her. BUt watching the way he reacts when she comes over, when she explains "You can't take this money...because it's not enough?" he seems somewhat sincere when he says no. Plus, his explanation makes sense: he's screwed anyway. THen the meeting with Kooby and Huell, he seems really shocked at what's going on, and not in a "Didn't see this coming" way, in a "HOw did Skyler get this so wrong?" sort of way. It's confusing in the best of ways, and I totally undersold it when it first aired. I know she didn't go to the hospital in 5's season premiere to intimidate him, but she recognized how useful that situation was going to be, and had to take advantage. Jeez, I demand a national rewatch of this show. 

• Love 2
On 4/17/2017 at 4:20 PM, Uncle JUICE said:

See, when I first watched it, I was 90% sure he WAS trying to get more out of her. BUt watching the way he reacts when she comes over, when she explains "You can't take this money...because it's not enough?" he seems somewhat sincere when he says no. Plus, his explanation makes sense: he's screwed anyway. THen the meeting with Kooby and Huell, he seems really shocked at what's going on, and not in a "Didn't see this coming" way, in a "HOw did Skyler get this so wrong?" sort of way. It's confusing in the best of ways, and I totally undersold it when it first aired. I know she didn't go to the hospital in 5's season premiere to intimidate him, but she recognized how useful that situation was going to be, and had to take advantage. Jeez, I demand a national rewatch of this show. 

I'm nearly at the end of my rewatch and that was one story-arc that I don't feel got cleared up.  I agree, it seemed he was being sneaky at first.  The look or horror on Skylar's face when she walked into Ted's hospital room was fabulous.  Think about it, he's probably too cheap to have bought health insurance so the medical bills will destroy whatever life he might have had left.  Another victim of Walt, really.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DonitsYum said:

I'm nearly at the end of my rewatch and that was one story-arc that I don't feel got cleared up.  I agree, it seemed he was being sneaky at first.  The look or horror on Skylar's face when she walked into Ted's hospital room was fabulous.  Think about it, he's probably too cheap to have bought health insurance so the medical bills will destroy whatever life he might have had left.  Another victim of Walt, really.

The crazy thing was that this was one tragedy Walt had nothing to do with.  Ted slipped on a rug on his ultra fancy high end hard wood floors and broke his neck.  It was a fluke accident that happened to entitled doofus.  When Skylar walks into the hospital room, she mistakenly thinks that Walt had something to do with Ted's condition.  I think it was at this moment she truly became afraid of her husband.   

I always found the sex scenes between Walk and Skylar to be uncomfortable to watch.  I could not decide if it was because the actors had done such a good job of pretending to be married that I felt like a pervert spying in on a private moment, or if it was the weird chemistry they portrayed on screen.  The weird thing is, I never doubted that these two loved each other, but I rarely got that they liked one another, even before Walt's secret was out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

The crazy thing was that this was one tragedy Walt had nothing to do with.

I guess the argument can be that this never would have happened if Walt didn't have drug money in the 1st place; also Skyler never would have known those guys she sent to get Ted to write the IRS a check if it weren't for Walt.

IMO, however, you are responsible for your own actions & it the end what happened to Ted was Ted's fault.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, BabyNamer said:

It's also true that the name Skyler was not given to any baby in America in 1970, the year she was supposedly born. Is it possible she changed her name and assumed a new identity?

http://babynameinstitute.com/Blog/Breaking-Bad-Baby-Names.html

There was a similar discussion with Fear the Walking Dead, with the 40 (or 50) something female lead having the name "Madison."  The answer was that back in the day, all babies weren't required to get Social Security cards at birth (I don't know if that is true).

• Love 1

Just happened to drop by and saw some comments about Skyler.  She was one of my favorite female characters.  Sometimes, just her expression over something that Walt would do would just crack me up.  And, I just loved her smarts and ability to plan. She had foresight that Walt sometimes missed, though, he was pretty clever when he put his head to it. 

I found her tolerance of her sister annoying at times and I was screaming when she finally came clean with her about the truth.  

I always struggled to see Walt and Skyler as romantic partners too.  I'm not sure why. 

• Love 3
On 6/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I always struggled to see Walt and Skyler as romantic partners too.  I'm not sure why. 

IMO they never really did have a whole lot of romantic chemistry, although I always thought that was kind of the point, that Walt got into the meth (oh, excuse me, the empire LOL) business because everything else in his life was boring to average.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ByTor said:

IMO they never really did have a whole lot of romantic chemistry, although I always thought that was kind of the point, that Walt got into the meth (oh, excuse me, the empire LOL) business because everything else in his life was boring to average.

Plus, I don't think Walt had much of a mojo, if you know what I mean.  Who was the lady that he hit on once and she totally was not into him?  In fact, I think he got fired for it......was it another teacher?  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Who was the lady that he hit on once and she totally was not into him?  In fact, I think he got fired for it......was it another teacher?  

The principal, I think.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Plus, I don't think Walt had much of a mojo, if you know what I mean.  Who was the lady that he hit on once and she totally was not into him?  In fact, I think he got fired for it......was it another teacher?  

17 hours ago, ByTor said:

The principal, I think.

It was Carmen, the principal, yes, but I don't think that was an accurate indicator of Walt's "game," and I think you guys are somewhat shortchanging the romance between the two.  Remember, he fucked his wife in his car in the school parking lot after a PTA meeting about Mr. Archuleta getting arrested for possession of marijuana. Skyler didn't strike me as particularly the "randy" type, at least that's not information we were given, which implies that Walt convinced her to do that, which real talk is a baller move, fucking your spouse, in your car, on the property where you work. The other factors are the length of their relationship and the general stress level even prior to his entry into the empire business or his diagnosis. Making ends meet with one partner working two jobs, special needs teenage son, late in life pregnancy complicating things (and the implied dalliance with Ted Beneke years before)...I think it's pretty safe to assume that they sort of had settled into a bit of a marital rut. I can't blame it on the two actors, because they were uniformly incredible throughout the series. It had to be written this way. Just my take. 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Carmen

Carmen, thank you, I could not recall her name to save my life!

55 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Remember, he fucked his wife in his car in the school parking lot after a PTA meeting

I'm a firm believer, though, that romance is romance and sex is sex & that you definitely could have one without the other, which IMO was the case with Walt & Sky.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Carmen, thank you, I could not recall her name to save my life!

I'm a firm believer, though, that romance is romance and sex is sex & that you definitely could have one without the other, which IMO was the case with Walt & Sky.

Agreed, but sex for Walter as an expression of power happens expressly in the show, a couple of times. Once early while she's still pregnant and in a green face, and once much later, after he's moved back into the house. Both of which are far more disturbing scenes than this one. I understand the distinction you're making, my point is I don't think there's enough evidence to conclude they never felt romantically towards each other, which is what my understanding of the charge is here. Certainly there's evidence that it's not a prime player in their current marriage when the show begins (hello, Ebay tug job that seems like it was from a different show entirely!), but to say they never had it seems to me unearned. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I don't think there's enough evidence to conclude they never felt romantically towards each other, which is what my understanding of the charge is here.

The charge isn't that they never did, but that they didn't during the show's timeline.  I'm not going to assume something from a tv show's character's past, unless, of course, it was revealed in a flashback or the characters themselves discussed it (which I don't recall).

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

The charge isn't that they never did, but that they didn't during the show's timeline.  I'm not going to assume something from a tv show's character's past, unless, of course, it was revealed in a flashback or the characters themselves discussed it (which I don't recall).

THen I apologize for my misunderstanding, but any opportunity to talk BB I'm all over :P). 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

THen I apologize for my misunderstanding, but any opportunity to talk BB I'm all over :P). 

DEFINITELY no need for an apology!  I totally agree with you that Walt & Sky's marriage was in a rut, evidence being the birthday hand job, which actually does imply that there likely was some "something" there.

• Love 1
On July 2, 2018 at 1:12 PM, VCRTracking said:

Interesting. I've never hated a character and was puzzled by the Skylar hate at the time. There's another show I now watch that has the samed level of hatred directed to both the character and the actor who portrays her, which has caused me to put a couple of posters on "ignore." I usually click on the button that lets me see their posts, but at least I can brace myself before reading.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I've never hated a character

I'm embarrassed at how much I hated pretty much everybody on Sons of Anarchy :)

If the female you're talking about has the initials KD, I know what you mean.  I like her (and her character) a lot.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I'm embarrassed at how much I hated pretty much everybody on Sons of Anarchy :)

If the female you're talking about has the initials KD, I know what you mean.  I like her (and her character) a lot.

Actually, it is someone else, whose initials I dare not type lest the trolls think they are bait. ;>)

• Love 1
On 7/5/2018 at 8:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

Actually, it is someone else, whose initials I dare not type lest the trolls think they are bait. ;>)

I can't imagine that backlash with Skyler.  She was awesome, even, though, Walt was my favorite character.  I guess some people really get into it. lol  Oh, I know of a couple of characters that I disliked.  One female character was on SOA.  Glad that's over. lol  And today, there was one on the Americans. ( Not the actors fault.)  And one on Law and Order.  lol  If I don't like the character, I generally just avoid the show. 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 10:36 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

One female character was on SOA. 

With the exception of Abel and Thomas, I thought they were all horrible people...although give those two a few years and I'm sure they would be as well :)

• Love 1