Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 (A & B) Discussion

Gale! I loved Gale. But yes, that was so stupid. It was his damn ego. He wouldn't dare let anyone think Heisenberg was someone as "mediocre" as Gale, even if it meant the cops/DEA still keeping an active search going. Talk about not being able to see the forest....

• Love 2

I'm on my third viewing and while I sometimes really miss the suspense that had me yelling "OMG!!" so many times when I first watched it, I do enjoy it more every time. I also notice lots of things I've missed. I couldn't stand Season 1 Jesse when I first watched the show but view him so differently now, right off the bat.

The best example of doing a 180 on a character is Hector. LOATHED him the first time around except for when he got his revenge on Gus. I enjoy the hell out of him now and he really cracks me up. Can't help but love the crazy old bastard. DING!

• Love 8

I'm rewatching the final season and just finished the episode where the shootout begins. It's tragic what happens to Hank but I put about 90% of it on him. If he had just left after arresting Walt instead hanging around to call Marie and brag, he probably not only would still be alive but would've succeeded in his takedown of Walt. Hank's ego was always a problem and it was his ultimate undoing.

"Walt, just say the word and I'll take you on a ride-along " I think that makes poor Hank 100% responsible from the get-go. He propelled the ball onto the pinball table!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1

"Walt, just say the word and I'll take you on a ride-along " I think that makes poor Hank 100% responsible from the get-go. He propelled the ball onto the pinball table!

He did, but he didn't MEAN to.  I didn't like Hank back then and I felt like he was basically just trying to always rub in Walt's face how much of a "man's man" he was and how much of a wuss old Walt was.  I felt like the ride along was yet another way Hank could show off and make Walt see how great he was.  If he had only known what that ride along was going to start....

• Love 5

Oh, I agree. I just can't help but think that in hindsight, it's the worst invitation ever! During the first viewing of the show, I really didn't like Hank pretty much up until he realized who Walter was. I've softened towards him slightly since--I'm on my third viewing--but was always aware of how he made Walt feel less than, intentionally or unintentionally. I think it's primarily the latter.

• Love 1

I agree. I did not care for Hank AT ALL in the beginning. And I liked Walt. As time went by, they both started merging in the opposite direction. By the end, I actually really liked Hank and despised Walt. And that is why I adore this show! It did things to me that I cannot even explain. 

• Love 5

I agree. I did not care for Hank AT ALL in the beginning. And I liked Walt. As time went by, they both started merging in the opposite direction. By the end, I actually really liked Hank and despised Walt. And that is why I adore this show! It did things to me that I cannot even explain. 

I went back-and-forth with Hank.  He definitely was responsible for his and Stevie G's death.  Rolling out to god knows where with out backup OR letting others know where he went.  There really was no reason for him to act so quickly on the information.  Jessie should have sworn a statement at the office without Walt's knowledge and then played the "I found your money card".

Hank was an arrogant, macho ass.  He should have had back-up as well as cover set up before Walt rolled up.  They should have been on the phone to their guys once Walt bit on the trap and had a caravan of DEA dudes rolling with them...

Great show.  I miss it.

• Love 2

I felt so bad for Walt Jr. A small role, but the actor did a great job. Poor kid just couldn't catch a break, cerebral palsey AND a meth-lord father.

I feel kind of bad for Jr. too. I read an article shortly after the show ended which mentioned that in the pilot the Dr. that diagnosed Walt with Cancer said he had about 2 years to live. Of course he did only live for about 2 years after that, which kind of means the if he hadn't gone into the meth business he still would have died, but his family might be a bit better off. Sure they would still have some money issues, but he might have gotten some kind of life insurance payout from his teacher benefits. Plus Skylar would have probably had an easier time finding a job, since they wouldn't be known as the family of the crazy meth king/murderer. Plus he would have still had his uncle to help support them (either financially or emotionally).

• Love 2

I am so relieved I can now read any thread here; I've been avoiding this one. I just finished my September of Breaking Bad this morning, a little ahead of schedule.

I have mixed feelings about the last season. I had always heard the final two seasons were up there with the greatest TV ever, but I still like season 3 the best. Maybe 3-2-5-4-1, in descending order. The later seasons were unremittingly bleak, and I am fine with unremittingly bleak, but I missed the life and humor of this show's earlier episodes.

I also had plotting gripes. Walt's way of taking out the white supremacists is another of those things (as someone said in another thread about the Brock-poisoning) that hinged on so many things going right -- Walt being allowed to park the car the way he wanted to, Walt being able to retrieve his keys in time, everyone being in the same small room, and especially Walt not being shot immediately because Jack falls for that Br'er Rabbit-worthy gambit of "You're partnering with Pinkman!"  "Is that what you think? That little rat is my partner? I'll show you! Where's Pinkman? Get him in here!" That bit of scripting was less Vince Gilligan than Gilligan's Island.  

That last string of episodes, from "Confessions" through the finale, was certainly compulsive viewing, however. I had my issues throughout, but I could not turn it off. I marathoned four when I had only planned to watch one. I kept promising myself, "I'll just watch the cold open of the next one; I really need to sleep." Gripping. I don't know how all of you who saw these when they aired made it through the week.  

A thought: To me, Hank was the authentically courageous one, and far more honest with himself. His not backing down an inch from Jack, telling Walt that Jack had made up his mind ten minutes ago, and in an earlier season telling Marie there was going to be no evasion from the DEA, he was going to go in and take responsibility -- those two little lines impressed me a thousand times more than five seasons of Walt's strutting around the desert in his black hat looking like The Edge circa Joshua Tree, bullying and threatening people when he had the upper hand (and sniveling, begging and bargaining when he didn't). Team Hank, here.

My not being under the spell of his shtick -- and being less so as the series went on -- doesn't take away from Walter White/Heisenberg being an iconic character.  

Season 5 was Skyler's best season. Anna Gunn got to play many versions of Skyler in the run, but she was never better than when Skyler became that quiet, catatonic, prematurely aged shell of herself. It was heartbreaking to me, and I never liked the character.  

White supremacists: They were my least favorite antagonists. I intensely disliked the turn Jesse's story took in the last few episodes, and not just because it was horrific to watch (though that too), but because it completely muted and marooned him as the show was winding down. On the other hand, I liked that we were seeing evil that was "home-grown," in no way exotic, not ax-wielding assassins crawling across the border etc. And I liked the stealthy way their malice came into full view, like that scene of Jack and the other guy in the restroom talking so disdainfully about the state of America, because it wasn't their America anymore. They could have been any good ol' boy truckers or manual laborers in your local Waffle House, but for the blood on their shoes.  

I thought it was interesting and significant that Walt had three negotiating sessions with Jack and crew. In the first, about the prison hits, he is in complete control, telling them they'll do exactly what he says and it will work. In the second, he's trying to get them to kill Jesse, and he's showing weakness in the terms he sets, and they're making fun of him. They're sizing up the mighty Heisenberg as a milquetoast, smirking and laughing. ("How angry? Hulk angry? Rambo? James Bond?"). And in the third, out in the desert, he screams, pleads, bribes, but he can no more call them off than Mickey can stop the brooms. You have to invite them in, Walt, and you did.   

The pacing of the last episode was a problem for me -- too many bases to cover. I was surprised at that, with the extra-long season. At least, at long last, we got to see someone (a deserving someone) eat the damned ricin, after all those near-misses. 

Great series. The Wire is still my favorite, but I'll enjoy going over most of this again with the DVD commentaries.  

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 7

Team Hank, here.

knew you'd come around by the end!

I just finished marathoning all 5 seasons a few weeks before you did, and many times found myself still watching when the sun came up. I'm so glad I waited and didn't have to wait a week or more between episodes/seasons.

• Love 2

It's borderline expecting him to be psychic.  Hank had his flaws, sure, as did every character in the show, which was actually one of the themes of the show (even master criminal Gus was taken down because his weakness was exploited).  But IMO I can't see an argument that Hank is 90% responsible for his own death because he failed to get heebee jeebees and hightail it outta there the moment he snagged Walt.

Then again, Hank knew he was dealing with the guy who had been a meth kingpin right under his nose for over a year, had killed Gus Fring, destroyed the super lab, arranged for the deaths of 10 incarcerated prisoners, in 3 different facilities in a 2 minute period, had trashed the police evidence room with a magnet, lured him away from the RV with the hoax call about Marie and had the RV destroyed, came up with the "confession" tape to frame and blackmail Hank, etc., etc.   When dealing with Heisenberg you should be expecting the unexpected and take no unnecessary risks at all, no matter how insignificant they might seem.  

I always wondered how Hank felt seeing Walt beg for Hank's life and offer his precious $80 million for it, after he had tried to call off the Nazi's and was also willing to give up his freedom to save Hank. 

For all Walt's many faults, he truly loved Hank.  There were many times when it would have been much easier for him to kill Hank or let him be killed, he always tried to protect him.  It wasn't only Hank's life, but his career he tried to protect.  If Walt had let Jesse ruin Hank's career, instead of making him a partner in the Fring deal to appease him, he likely would have had a long, profitable and relatively drama free relationship with Fring. Of course, he probably should have sent Jesse to "Belize" when he started threatening to turn him in if he were ever caught, but he also had a soft spot for Jesse. 

If Jesse hadn't messed things up, with Fring and Walt's brains and Mike's muscle  the three of them might have taken over the world. :)

• Love 3
I always wondered how Hank felt seeing Walt beg for Hank's life and offer his precious $80 million for it, after he had tried to call off the Nazi's and was also willing to give up his freedom to save Hank.

I would have to imagine, no less contemptuous. I might be projecting my own feelings onto Hank, but Jack and gang being "worse" doesn't make Walt good, and these were the people with whom Walt rolled, stupidly thinking he could control them.

Hank wanted to live, no doubt, and maybe he hoped Walt could call these guys off, but he knew it wasn't happening. So, all Walt got out of that was being better than Jack, which isn't much.  

I was completely taken in by the ending of "To'hajiilee." I didn't see the Aryan Caravan coming at all. To me, that was the greatest episode of the last half season. This is heresy, I know, but I don't quite get the fuss over "Ozymandias." 

• Love 5

I would have to imagine, no less contemptuous. I might be projecting my own feelings onto Hank, but Jack and gang being "worse" doesn't make Walt good, and these were the people with whom Walt rolled, stupidly thinking he could control them.

Hank wanted to live, no doubt, and maybe he hoped Walt could call these guys off, but he knew it wasn't happening. So, all Walt got out of that was being better than Jack, which isn't much.

I was completely taken in by the ending of "To'hajiilee." I didn't see the Aryan Caravan coming at all. To me, that was the greatest episode of the last half season. This is heresy, I know, but I don't quite get the fuss over "Ozymandias."

The best example of doing a 180 on a character is Hector. LOATHED him the first time around except for when he got his revenge on Gus. I enjoy the hell out of him now and he really cracks me up. Can't help but love the crazy old bastard. DING!

One of my favorite things in the series was how Hector's bell introduced at the end of season 1 would be the thing that brought down Gus Fring at the end of season 4.  It's fun to watch Hector ring his bell for the first time in that early episode, knowing what will eventually happen.  I loved how they brought the show to a close in season 5.  Sure, they had to stretch believability and have everything go just perfectly for Walt to pull everything off.  In reality he probably would have been picked up by the cops as soon as he entered the city limits, if not before.  Walt was someone you grew to loathe, but at the same time admired his ability to outmart everyone.  You wanted him to win in the end because he was finally honest about what he had done and why he had done it.  "I liked it...I was good at it."  Great line.  Walt always saw himself as a failure, someone who had the potential to be great and squandered it, wasting his life teaching high school chemistry when he could have been on the cutting edge of scientific research.  With little time left in this world, becoming this legendary drug lord, "Heisenberg", was his way of achieving something great, evil but great.  And he made things right in the end, or at least as right as he could make them, in his own way.  He went down in a blaze of glory, a true desperado.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 7

I never understood one thing. The answer is probably really obvious, but bear with me here.

How did Jesse realize that the ricin cigarette had been lifted off of him by Huell, both times? All he did was search his own pockets for the carton. Good on him for figuring out exactly who it was, but again, how? And also, didn't Walt take it and switch it out so he could poison Lydia?

I never understood one thing. The answer is probably really obvious, but bear with me here.

How did Jesse realize that the ricin cigarette had been lifted off of him by Huell, both times? All he did was search his own pockets for the carton. Good on him for figuring out exactly who it was, but again, how? And also, didn't Walt take it and switch it out so he could poison Lydia?

I had a problem with this too, however the fact that Huell stripped him of the joint at the direction of Saul was what caused the revelation.  I thought it was a stretch.  Walt took it and pretended to flush it in front of Jessie.  He kept if for future contingencies.  Lydia was the perfect contingency.  Somewhere Mike gave a big "Hoo-rah" when sent drank that cup o' tea...

I binge-watched the show last year and just finished a second viewing this year.  Best dramatic show ever.  

One thing about Jesse that I don't like that no one ever seems to mention:  He is such a hypocrite.  He was so compassionate with children and didn't want to see even adults get hurt or killed.  Did it not once occur to him that he was manufacturing a product that had caused death to not only adults, but possibly children who got a hold of their parent's stash.  And what about the druggies' children and the children of DEA officers becoming orphans when their parents die?  I can't believe the writers never had a scene with Jesse and Walt where Walt accuses him of acting so high and mighty when all the while he's cooking a deadly substance.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 3

One of my favorite things about seasons 5 and 6 in particular was some of the supporting characters. Huell, of course. The woman who worked for Saul. The nurse who tended to Hector and got him to spell out the words. I wonder if these folks are comedians in real life, because they all had that sort of humorous vibe to them. They were cast perfectly. I'm sure Huell will be in Better Call Saul. I hope that woman who assists Saul is also, and they show a lot more of that humorous interaction between the two.

• Love 3

I don't know if this board is still active or not, or if this has been brought up before, but I heard a theory that Walt actually died in the car covered in snow in New Hampshire in the Denny's parking lot and that everything after that was his 'redemption' - or 'contrition'.  After that scene, his entire focus was to get rid of the 'bad guys' and take care of the 'good guys.'  Any thoughts?

• Love 2

So then the theory is that he died at Denny's, and everything that happened after actually happened before?  I've heard the theory that WW died in the car, and everything that happened after was a dream going on in his dying brain.  For the record, I think what was portrayed is what happened & he died in the shootout at the end.

• Love 3

I hadn't heard any new theories!  I didn't even know that the ending was open to interpretation (other than a few random people on the Internet who have said, "But maybe Walt didn't really die at the end..."). I didn't know that anyone thought that Walt died in the car at Denny's.    Interesting!  I don't think that's what happened, but it is fascinating to contemplate..

I just saw a certain Oscar nominated film that ends with the same sort of questions. Could he really do that? Was it all a fantasy?

In the case of Breaking Bad, I try to take the events at face value because the totality of them is so unlikely. Walter White was more lucky than smart and he should have realistically been killed in his first or second drug deal. The show takes place in an enhanced or hyper realty and asking "could Walt really walk through the desert with no food or water as sick as he is" would make the whole story fall apart.

• Love 1

Walt realized he lost Gretchen and was pissed off and couldn't stay working with the two, so believing in his own brilliance took his $5,000 (which probably at the time seemed like a windfall) and struck out on his own.  Unfortunately for him, not only was Grey Matter able to succeed brilliantly based on Walt's ideas, but apparently Walt's personality made it impossible for him to get and/or stay in good paying jobs and that's how he ended up teaching.  Walt's a genius, but he doesn't play well with others.  Sometimes you end up as Steve Jobs, sometimes as Heisenberg.

Best character summation ever.

Walt definitely didn't know when to keep his mouth shut.  Hank thought he HAD his Heisenberg when the coffee dude was killed (I NEVER can remember his name but I loved the character and his hero worship of Walt) until Walt had to run off about how the guy was just a wanna be and the real Heisenberg was still out there, in his opinion.  Skylar looked like she wanted to kill him when he did that and for once, I agreed with her.  Walt's ego just couldn't let someone else get the credit.  It was the beginning of the end for him.

This is one of the entries in a 4 way tie for one of my favorite scenes in the series. 

The scene where Walt is trying to convince Jesse to leave town and the kid's pure anguish at realizing Walt's not only shitty but diabolical?  I was okay until he said if I don't leave will you kill me like you did Mike?  But then when Walt walks over to him and puts his arms around him and Jesse most reluctantly allows himself to be coddled.  Er. Mah. Gerd.  you guys? It took me about one and a half seconds to burst into tears at a damn tv show.   Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are officially: THE. SHIT.  Like many of you, I binge watched over the last 3 months after sitting shiva over my Boardwalk Empire.  I had to take breaks because I was pulling all nighters and I have a day job so it was turning into kind of a problem lol.  There were so many threads that were pulled together so artfully and subtly that now I feel like I have to watch it all through one more time (okay, I want to ;)  I loved BB so much I wanted to eat it.   So many favorite moments.  Forgive me if I mention something out of order because the seasons blur together in my mind.  The plot build and scene to kill Gus, the tie adjustment just before dropping dead, the guy's face is blown off and no screams of agony?  Yo, that's going out like a G!  Giancarlo Esposito got beat the hell out of that emmy, he's been putting it down on the screen exactly like this for the past 30 years.  That's been my boo since Spike Lee's School Daze and Do the Right Thing.   The whole cartel being murdered poolside  ::raises glass::  Salud, indeed!  Until reading in this thread I had no idea about two things:  First I thought Walt's pseudonym was Eisenberg, not Heisenberg lol and I didn't know the thing he had hidden in the outlet niche was a vial of ricin. 

I know it's unpopular but I loved Walter White.  I loved watching the journey of his devolution.  I loved the juxtaposition of how effing brilliant he was up against the stupidity of not being able to stop leading with his ego.  I loved that he loved his family and how that started his road to hell.  I don't know if it was condescension or sarcasm or a combo but there were several times where I could not stop laughing at his inflection/delivery.  The writers brought it, but Cranston brung it.

I reacted differently to Skyler's character nearly every time I watched.  I don't think I ever got past the sanctimoniousness with which she regarded Walt but carrying on with some other dude.  I get he's violating some pretty major personal ethics and breaking the law, I didn't like that she was all morality police while breaking their vow.  The scene where they'd gone to the hotel after Jesse had come to the house with a gas can made me giggle.  I said to the tv, see there Sky, killers are made not born after all.  Lol.

Oooh, I almost forgot the scene where he makes the phone call to clear her.  I appreciate that Skyler is so quick to catch on, I really would've been on the phone calling him every kinda devil since satan.  Followed by the baby being discovered in the fire truck.  {{heartclutch}}.  This show really took me there.  I've seen The Wire, Orange is the New Black and Boardwalk Empire and I have to cosign the hypesters, this one is on the top of the pile for me.   I do have some questions that never got answered either but I'm not sure I remember all of them.  If ya'll are still here, can somebody answer what is killing me:

Why did Walt tell Jesse he watched Jane die?  I know in the love-hate dynamic they were at hate at this point, but he was already handing him over to the Nazi's was it really necessary to emotionally devastate the kid?

Why did Fring kill his right hand man in the lab while Jesse/Walt/Mike looked on?

What tipped Fring off to Walt's car bomb?

Lily of the Valley - that's the flowery bush in the White's back yard? If so, did Walt plant that?

How does Walt get onto the Schwartz' property without setting off the motion sensors?  Even if yours is the only house on the hill, who doesn't close their front door behind themselves when not carrying children or groceries?   By the way Elliot Schwarz nearly shitting his pants while brandishing a butter knife while his wife never messes up her hair?  That will never not be hilarious!

Why doesn't Jesse think to ask Saul to set up trusts with the money instead of driving around throwing it out the window?

Did Ted hitting his head and knocking himself out have a point?

To the poster upthread who commented on the surrounding characters having an underlying funny vibe - one of them, Huell/Lavelle Crawford is actually a professional stand up comedian.  I don't believe he's mainstream famous but he is funny.  Don't know about the others but I agree their nonchalance at having to perform some pretty non standard job functions is hilarious.  Saul's secretary is a mess. I'dve quit at sweet cheeks or big juggs or whatever he called her but any job that has me doing the the Fawn Hall thing (ya'll might be too young to remember this :) doesn't pay enough. 

I don't know if Hank bothered me more or Marie did.  Hank because as much as I enjoy snark, I absolutely hate people who are rude to coworkers or underlings or anybody not in a position to respond in kind.  The way he regularly talked to Gomez and Marie put me off him.  I admired his intuition though.  Marie was just as irksome because I dislike the nosey-neighbor type and probably because real estate is my porn, so going to open houses to steal shit and make up autobiographies = ineligible for the judgmentality of it all. 

Not that the Nazis didn't have a great sense of direction, I mean, I don't know, I guess they could but finding Walt in the desert in an hour, with just the coordinates?  Really? 

Who amasses $80M but runs out of gas?  ::vivianvancevoice:: Oh, Walter.

• Love 2

The scene where Walt is trying to convince Jesse to leave town and the kid's pure anguish at realizing Walt's not only shitty but diabolical?  I was okay until he said if I don't leave will you kill me like you did Mike?  But then when Walt walks over to him and puts his arms around him and Jesse most reluctantly allows himself to be coddled.  Er. Mah. Gerd.  you guys? It took me about one and a half seconds to burst into tears at a damn tv show.

Right there with ya, Zadalmo.  And didn't Walt call Jesse "son" at some point in the series?  I'm no good at remember episodes and shit.

I finished binge-watching with my son and I'm calling the series finale a total shoutout to my parents. When I saw the Marty Robbins cassette in the car, I shrieked.  Marty Robbins was my mom's favorite old-school country singer and she had that album (kids, ask Gramma what an album is).  When Walt was playing "El Paso" in the car, I sang along (yes, I have the song memorized, thanks to my mom).  And then when creepy Todd changed his ringtone to Lydia, the Tattooed Lady, that reminded me of my dad because he used to sing Lydia, oh Lydia. So cheers to you, Mr. and Mrs. Swanson.  lol

Speaking of BB music, it was always amazing.  When the hyper-fast Goin' Down started playing in Say My Name, I screamed THE MONKEES and my son looked at me like I was nuts.

Bottom line?  After The Sopranos, Breaking Bad is my favorite television show of all time.

• Love 5

I hadn't noticed this before, but the lining of Walt's jacket in Felina is blue.

One might even say it's Baby Blue.

Another great song, Constantinople.  And he died with a smile on his face.

(edited)

Lily of the Valley - that's the flowery bush in the White's back yard? If so, did Walt plant that? 

It looked like it was in a potter so I'm guessing Walt recently bought it to poison the kid

Why doesn't Jesse think to ask Saul to set up trusts with the money instead of driving around throwing it out the window?

Jesse did ask Saul to do that for both Kaylee and the boy that Todd shot. Saul says it's a bad idea becase giving money to the Sharp(?) family would only raise more questions and wouldn't shed light on what happened to their kid. Saul also points out that everytime Mike has left money for his granddaughter, the feds have gotten it, so Jesse leaving it for her would probably end the same way)

Did Ted hitting his head and knocking himself out have a point?

Schadenfreude? :)

To the poster upthread who commented on the surrounding characters having an underlying funny vibe - one of them, Huell/Lavelle Crawford is actually a professional stand up comedian.  I don't believe he's mainstream famous but he is funny.  Don't know about the others but I agree their nonchalance at having to perform some pretty non standard job functions is hilarious.  Saul's secretary is a mess. I'dve quit at sweet cheeks or big juggs or whatever he called her but any job that has me doing the the Fawn Hall thing (ya'll might be too young to remember this :) doesn't pay enough.

The nurse spelling out "fuck" for Hector was hilarious. By the time you get to "c" I think most people would stop but not her until the feds stopped her she would have kept going. She's a true professional

Who amasses $80M but runs out of gas?  ::vivianvancevoice:: Oh, Walter.

The gas tank had a bullet hole in it. We saw Walter on his hands and knees looking at the ground and then saw him look at the outside of the car and at the gas cover with a bullet hole in it

Edited by canuckgirl7
  • Love 4
Oooh, I almost forgot the scene where he makes the phone call to clear her.

It's funny how different things stand out to more each time. During my first watch, the "I watched Jane die" reveal was probably my most tearful moment. But I'm rewatching now, and his call to Skyler just killed me. Walt is such a complex character. It's interesting how upon first watch I just HATED  him by the end, and this time....not so much. I still find him pretty vile, he did a lot of unforgivable things. But at his core he still does love his family. He offered the entirety of his earnings to try and save Hank. And then, he called his wife and spoke to her in such an awful, degrading manner. He took the blame for Hank. You could tell it was killing him. But he did it for her. He did so many things wrong, but there was still some of that old Walt in there who just loved his family. Ugh, that moment just broke me down. 

Why did Fring kill his right hand man in the lab while Jesse/Walt/Mike looked on?

I think part of it was to send a message to Walt - "This is who you're working for. I will kill anyone, at any time. You aint shit". Etc. But, also, Victor had admitted he was seen when he went to Gale's, after Jesse shot him. So I think it was partially just tying up loose ends.  No one saw Jesse, but people in the apartment complex might remember Victor. 

• Love 5

I agree. I totally thought Walt wanted Jesse to leave as to not be a problem. Walt was always trying to manipulate Jesse, and finally he didn't fall for it.

Ya Walt wanted Jesse to dissappear cuz he knew hank would never quit trying to get him to flip on hiesenberg

(edited)

I see why people regard Ozymandis as the high point of the series, but the following episodes really suffered in comparison (they really did feel like an epilogue), with apparently the need to tie up every loose end. I've heard the theory that Walter "died" in Crawlspace and only Heisenburg survived, but if so, I felt Walter was resurrected for the last couple of episodes. He seems far more... humble, for want of a better word, as well as suddenly turning into Batman (I can buy him breaking into a car - especially in the Podunk town he was dumped in where (supposedly) folks don't even lock their doors - but how exactly did he break into Schwatz's  place? And while rigging up the automated machine gun was pretty cool, how exactly did he know it would hit them all? And yes, he used Lydia's predictability against her but given how picky she is, would she really not notice Ricin instead of Sugar in her tea?). But I was glad he FINALLY admitted to Skyler that he did it all for himself, not his family but, even so, still finds a way to leave $10m to his kids (Floved the "Best snipers West of the Appalachians" ploy - only to reveal it was in fact Badger & Skinny Pete with a couple of laser pointers!). And I was kind of glad the Jesse made it out alive, because even if he was a whiny bitch at times (even the Nazis say as much!) he actually did at least TRY to keep his conscience. And I was sure the series would end with Walt's death (though I was unsure at whose hand).

ZaldamoWilder Lily of the Valley - that's the flowery bush in the White's back yard? If so, did Walt plant that?

I thought it was just a flower he had in his garden. You can get foxgloves or Belladonna in your garden fairly commonly, but you definitely don't want to eat either of them.

Bryce Lynch For all Walt's many faults, he truly loved Hank.  There were many times when it would have been much easier for him to kill Hank or let him be killed, he always tried to protect him.

I'm not sure I'd say he loved him, but he did actually try to protect him, even when it was against his interests. Hank actually grew on me as the series progressed - sure, he could be an arrogant, insensitive jerk, but he was a believable Alpha Male type who was like a bloodhound once he got on the trail of something. Yes, he probably should have called for backup before heading for his showdown in the desert - but it's easy to be wise after the event (and I did like his pre-mortem words to Walt that Jack was always going to kill him & Walt was too dumb to see it, because he was absolutely right).

ETA: Why exactly did Walt poison Lydia? Not saying she was a paragon of virtue, but she hadn't, unlike Jack (or Jesse) done anything to Walt himself. It can't have been to eliminate somebody who could testify against him (which she certainly could) because it was clear he wasn't intending to come back from his meeting with Jack. In fact, keeping her alive (but tipping off the cops) would actually make more sense in terms of protecting his family, because the police would be more likely to go after somebody higher up the food chain than Skyler. Am I forgetting something?

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 2

Ah, thanks, Bryce Lynch. Though I remember the Nazis threatening Skylar and Molly (mainly because Todd was so insistent to tell her not to talk about Lydia who Skylar probably didn't even remember prior to that!), though I'd forgotten Lydia giving them the "mission" in the first place.

I don't think I ever got past the sanctimoniousness with which she regarded Walt but carrying on with some other dude.  I get he's violating some pretty major personal ethics and breaking the law, I didn't like that she was all morality police while breaking their vow.

Skyler started seeing Ted only after she broke up with Walt and demanded a divorce. Just because Walt was insane and forced his way back into their home and refused to give a divorce, doesn't mean their marriage was intact. 

Besides, if we're talking about marriage vows, then Walt is the offender. Back when Skyler did still love him and thought they had a functional marriage, Walt was lying and cheating on her constantly. Not with another woman, but IMO what Walt did was worse. He was cooking meth, lying every day about his job, lying about his illness, he was concealing money, murdering people, lying about their finances, disappearing for days on end and putting his entire family in danger, all behind Skyler's back. 

• Love 11

Skyler started seeing Ted only after she broke up with Walt and demanded a divorce. Just because Walt was insane and forced his way back into their home and refused to give a divorce, doesn't mean their marriage was intact. 

Besides, if we're talking about marriage vows, then Walt is the offender. Back when Skyler did still love him and thought they had a functional marriage, Walt was lying and cheating on her constantly. Not with another woman, but IMO what Walt did was worse. He was cooking meth, lying every day about his job, lying about his illness, he was concealing money, murdering people, lying about their finances, disappearing for days on end and putting his entire family in danger, all behind Skyler's back. 

Yes totally agree.  The constant lying was horrendous and crazy making for Skylar.

• Love 1

ZaldamoWilder What tipped Fring off to Walt's car bomb?

While it's not clear, presumably he spotted that something was different about his car. Gus had been plotting his revenge on the Salamancas for years (possibly decades) and probably is highly attuned to anything that might be suspicious (the seat was pushed back, the hood wasn't fully down, the undercarriage looked "wrong", whatever). From everything we've seen & heard, Gus really is that paranoid (and with good reason).

• Love 3

When I read a post like this, it reminds me of how much I should hate Walt and feel horrible for Skyler, and I would in the real world, but on BB I just can't :)

My mouth is Hector-twitching right now, that's how much I want to disagree hard with this.  But dammit, I can't.  Lol!

When I read a post like this, it reminds me of how much I should hate Walt and feel horrible for Skyler, and I would in the real world, but on BB I just can't :)

Girrrrrrl.   Got room on that bench for me? 

• Love 3

For about the hundredth time, I watched season 5, and something really struck me, that I actually love all the characters.  I definitely don't mean that I liked all the characters, but I loved to hate the ones I hated, and I couldn't imagine the show without them (Todd and Lydia, for example).  The only borderline characters, IMO, were the cousins, but that's more because I find the non-verbal menacing type more cartoonish than anything, but again, I certainly wouldn't consider them irrelevant.  Also, as much as Skyler annoyed me, Anna Gunn acted the hell out of that character, and I couldn't imagine, nor would I want to see, a Skyler who was any different than the way she was.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2

I was completely taken in by the ending of "To'hajiilee." I didn't see the Aryan Caravan coming at all. To me, that was the greatest episode of the last half season. This is heresy, I know, but I don't quite get the fuss over "Ozymandias." 

The To'hajiilee standoff was one of the most thrilling things I've seen on TV. I loved the low beats in the score when the trucks started rolling in; Walt's moment of realization turning to sheer panic; Hank and Gomez's suspicion; Jesse hyperventilating in terror; and the zooming closeups when Jack's gang drew their weapons. So perfect! Michelle McLaren killed that sequence.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh my! I just got up to the episode in Season 5 where Mike visits Lydia and I'm just blown away. After finishing Season 4, I just couldn't imagine what could possibly happen in Season 5. I figured the show must have been finished after Season 4 because everything seemed to be all wrapped up.

But what a great idea for Season 5. I'm so happy. So impressed the show runner would be able to come up with an idea that would be good for an entire new season. By the way, did I miss finding out who Lydia is? I have no memory of her ever appearing in any episodes before Season 5. Did I miss something? She seems like another liability. I still tend to get this "seething" angry feeling whenever I see Skylar. I know the difference between the actors and the characters. But I seem to know quite a few "Skylar types" in real life. They can't seem to keep a secret (meaning they can't seem to keep their mouths shut). They can't seem to keep their noses out of other peoples' business. And they always feel compelled to "fix" things. But worse than that ... every time they decide to "fix" something, they invariable make it worse - much worse - and the wind up screwing up all kinds of other peoples' lives as a result. Call it collateral damage? Remember Ted? Wow. Poor guy had sex with Skylar a few times and wound up with life that equates to one big huge disaster. When you see Skylar coming your way ... make any excuse you can and run, run, run away. You never want to be waiting around for Skylar to come into your life and fix things up. OMG! She is a one-person disaster creator - all by herself. I am always amazed how some people seem to be able to take a small problem and turn it into a big huge disaster. That's Skylar!

Edited by AliShibaz

I can't remember what Judge Judy calls this but it's basically the *were it not for* argument.  Skylar saved Ted and his raggedy ass accounting practices from filing bankruptcy on his father's legacy and his own personal financial ruin by striking a settlement deal with the feds.   Were it not for his stubborn and stupid refusal to pay the IRS with the money his "aunt" bequeathed like he was supposed to, she wouldn'tve sent anybody to, um, persuade him.   I'm sure being semi-comatose isn't fun.  Buuuuuuut, on the other hand, Bernake Industries stayed in business.  

• Love 5

I am currently watching Season 5 Episode 10 - Buried and I've just watched the scene where Lydia (I think that's her name) (she is a very attractive lady with beautiful long black hear and beautiful black shoes) came to visit some rural location and went down into some hiding place while much mayhem and violence ocurred above ground.

The following scene was Hank sitting alone and scratching his head and I suddenly got a flash of light and would like to make a prediction. I looked around under "Season Five" but I could  not see any thread for "Predictions" so I'll just put it here. I'm guessing that Hank (the loudmouthed dumbass) would never be able to solve all the murders that just ocurred and so maybe, the DEA decided to enlist some help from WW to solve those crimes and that is the way the show ends. Walter helps the DEA to solve the crimes and Hank winds up as a laughing stock among all the other DEA agents. Walter winds up as a hero.

I know that seems rather far fetched and I'm hoping it's OK to post this prediction because the show ended some three years ago.

By the way, I am very happy and impressed with this show. It is really fabulously crafted. Just as an update, I'd like to say that I feel a terrible disdain for Hank and his stupid / crazy wife. I hope that Walter and Skylar find a way to live happily ever after. But if I was ever married to someone like Skylar, I would be be very, very careful in what I ever told her. I think I might pick 3 topics of conversation (like the Weather, and two other equally bland topics) and I would never discuss anything else with her and I would never tell her anything that she could use against me or against anyone else because she has this terrible predeliction to try and "fix" all kinds of problems in the world and only manages to make them all worse. Much worse. As I've said before. She can take a tiny problem and turn it into a huge disaster. Poor, poor, Skylar.

Predictions are fine here :). Completely off topic but the reason you don't see a lot of those types of threads here is because this whole forum was created after BB ended so there wasn't much speculating etc. going on here since we weren't around when the show was airing (final episode aired in Sept. 2013 and the forums went into beta testing in December of 2013). 

It's been super fun reading your thoughts @AliShibaz! Even if I don't agree with all of them it's always fun to read what people think as they watch through something for the first time! (I don't want to say what I disagree on because I feel like some of it becomes spoilery because maybe the opinions I have are based on things people do in later episodes). 

• Love 1