Type keyword(s) to search

The Brady Bunch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't realize that Dees wasn't in LA at the time; he was still working in Memphis when he did DD.  According to his WP page (which looks like his publicist wrote it) he didn't move to KIIS-FM until 1981. 

Even back in the day,  I'd have never imagined anyone would have attempted to sing 'The Hustle'. Epitomized the whole series' fail mode. No wonder this debacle NEVER got mentioned  during their later reunion movies/shows.

• Love 1

I watched Celebrity Bowling (it Memorial Day weekend and early in Philly....sue me.....LOL) on Decade channel. Today it was Barry & Maureen vs Chris & Eve. I think it's about late 1973-1974. They were talking about the 5th season. They gave their ages. Barry said he was 19, Maureen said 17, Chris said 16 & Eve is 15. Hey were so young (weren't we all) and, seemed so happy. They talked how they're Mothers were the guardians on the set and had been doing it for 5 years and were used to it. They all seemed very nice and well adjusted. It was a true #TBWeekend. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

I remember being horrified in the first 5 minutes of the variety show. When they showed Mike Lookinland and he had curly blonde hair. I was like, "WTF?" This was pre Internet, IMDb & Wikipedia. I didn't know he had dyed his hair for the role of Bobby. I knew it was getting lighter during the original run but who knew? LOL!!!! 

(edited)
On 5/28/2016 at 11:06 PM, Blergh said:

Even back in the day,  I'd have never imagined anyone would have attempted to sing 'The Hustle'. Epitomized the whole series' fail mode. No wonder this debacle NEVER got mentioned  during their later reunion movies/shows.

Where was the part with the hustle?  I just watched and I didn't see that part. 

I agree with you,  why would anyone try to sing that?  It's not even really a song, it's just music and a few words to go with the dance.  I remember my mom and I doing the hustle in our living room. She didn't like the Saturday Night Fever movie but she was obsessed with the soundtrack. 

I think this was awesome!  Total '70s  Brady cheesiness and I love it. 

Edited by Maharincess
Felt like it.
  • Love 3
(edited)

And his hair was as naturally curly as Bradley's in American Hustle without having to put rollers in!

Flipping channels yesterday and happened to land on the episode where Greg wanted to play football.  Mike and Greg  are having a heart to heart talk, and when the scene ends Greg is supposed to give it a  "Thanks, Dad"  and then walk off.  But he just stands there for a second.

That episode is weird because they're so afraid of telling Carol about it and how she would react. I'm sure a stepmother IRL would be concerned but the way Carol gets so upset over the idea of Greg being injured you'd think she actually gave birth to him!

I watched Celebrity Bowling (it Memorial Day weekend and early in Philly....sue me.....LOL) on Decade channel. Today it was Barry & Maureen vs Chris & Eve. I think it's about late 1973-1974. They were talking about the 5th season. They gave their ages. Barry said he was 19, Maureen said 17, Chris said 16 & Eve is 15. Hey were so young (weren't we all) and, seemed so happy. They talked how they're Mothers were the guardians on the set and had been doing it for 5 years and were used to it. They all seemed very nice and well adjusted. It was a true #TBWeekend. LOL!!!!

If only the Brady Bunch writers by the fifth season knew how to write for teenagers in the early 1970.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That episode is weird because they're so afraid of telling Carol about it and how she would react. I'm sure a stepmother IRL would be concerned but the way Carol gets so upset over the idea of Greg being injured you'd think she actually gave birth to him!

I always found that weird too.  I can understand being concerned that he might get injured but she's just so OTT with it and then when he really does . . . oy.  Funny too because we find out that her college boyfriend Tank was a football player.  So you would think she'd be a bit more relaxed about it.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I always found that weird too.  I can understand being concerned that he might get injured but she's just so OTT with it and then when he really does . . . oy.  Funny too because we find out that her college boyfriend Tank was a football player.  So you would think she'd be a bit more relaxed about it.

Oh, but we didn't learn about Tank until two seasons later! Which just made her over reaction to Greg wanting to play football all the more weird; since in that episode, Carol acted like she didn't know how the game was played; yet come season five, she totally did, because Tank was her boyyyyyfriend.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, but we didn't learn about Tank until two seasons later! Which just made her over reaction to Greg wanting to play football all the more weird; since in that episode, Carol acted like she didn't know how the game was played; yet come season five, she totally did, because Tank was her boyyyyyfriend.

True.  This all made about as much sense as that guy Mark trying to woo Alice for her money.  How much money could a 1960s/1970s housekeeper have anyhow? 

• Love 1

This all made about as much sense as that guy Mark trying to woo Alice for her money.  How much money could a 1960s/1970s housekeeper have anyhow? 

Seriously! It's not like Alice was a secret heiress who just wanted something to do in her spare time. (Anyone else think that Kay would make a better housekeeper than Alice?) 

I watched the one about Bobby thinking he's contracted mumps because he kissed Mary Ingalls. The subplot involves the family getting ready for a 1920s-themed shindig. Mike is playing the ukulele and asks Carol to lend him her tonsils (that sounds so dirty!). Carol replies, "I don't have my tonsils, remember?" Pretty good continuity there.  

• Love 2

One of the click bait ads at the bottom of the screen is "22 stars of The Brady Bunch, Then and Now"  Not to sound like The Brady Bunch Movie, but there were only 9 stars, 10 if count Sam.  Ok 11 if you count Oliver.  But 22?  

This all made about as much sense as that guy Mark trying to woo Alice for her money.  How much money could a 1960s/1970s housekeeper have anyhow? 

To be fair, Alice was a live-in housekeeper so she had fewer expenses than most (rent, car payments, etc.) so she could have had a nest egg.  Plus, confidence men like Mark will take what they can get from whomever is willing to give it to them.  He was willing to be a bigamist to get his hands on his wives' assets.

2 hours ago, magicdog said:

To be fair, Alice was a live-in housekeeper so she had fewer expenses than most (rent, car payments, etc.) so she could have had a nest egg.  Plus, confidence men like Mark will take what they can get from whomever is willing to give it to them.  He was willing to be a bigamist to get his hands on his wives' assets.

I don't think Alice had car payments. She didn't know how to drive. Remember Carol having to drive Alice to redeem her prizes. Yes, I need to get a life. LOL!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Whenever a teenager is unhappy with their appearance they really should look towards Eve and Christopher.  Both of them were not considered great looking on the show (awkward middle kids), but grew into very attractive as adults.

For better or for worse, your looks change a lot after your teenage years.

• Love 2
(edited)

Barry Williams dancing in the red pants, with two Solid Gold wanna be back up dancers in clown wigs, is the stuff of nightmares.

Was NewJan supposed to be the break out star?  They positioned her in center and dressed her so she would stand out.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

I don't know why I kept forgetting to mention this, but since the episode was on again last week, I think, it reminded me. It's the Day Jones Episode, and I wonder if Marcia planned to go to her prom stag. When Davy tells her at the end, that he doesn't have a date, and does she know anyone who would like to go with him/be his date, her "Do I!" before kissing his cheek, made my brow go up. Either she was going to go by herself (which I don't buy for a second), or she was doing to dump the guy she was going to go with. Either way, it's a head scratcher and irritating at the same time.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know why I kept forgetting to mention this, but since the episode was on again last week, I think, it reminded me. It's the Day Jones Episode, and I wonder if Marcia planned to go to her prom stag. When Davy tells her at the end, that he doesn't have a date, and does she know anyone who would like to go with him/be his date, her "Do I!" before kissing his cheek, made my brow go up. Either she was going to go by herself (which I don't buy for a second), or she was doing to dump the guy she was going to go with. Either way, it's a head scratcher and irritating at the same time.

She probably ditched her date because 'something suddenly came up...'. :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

That was two years later, actually.  Marcia was only 13 when she met Davy Jones.

Nope. The Davy Jones episode was at the end of season three, which would make Marcia 15. Remember this was the season where she did the makeover in her senior class. She started high school the following season.  And since she was 16-17 in the last season, season 5-by counting back, Marcia would be 15! She was 13 in season 2.

My question is why did the entertainment committee wait so long to hire someone to play at the prom? A week before the dance and they still didn't have anyone lined up? I guess the Banana Convention wasn't available or had broken up.

• Love 1

The Brady Bunch got a weird mix of guest stars. Desi Arnaz Jr., Namath, Davey Jones (how about the flip side?!).

Oy, another Mike Brady demonstrative lesson-learning workshop. Maybe learn how to walk your own coffee cup back to the kitchen instead of handing it off to your wife like you're freaking Cersei with the wine glass?

• Love 1
On 10/6/2016 at 10:02 AM, mmecorday said:

My question is why did the entertainment committee wait so long to hire someone to play at the prom?

I wonder why they'd consider live entertainment?  Lots of dances I'd been to in HS had piped in music.

45 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

The Brady Bunch got a weird mix of guest stars. Desi Arnaz Jr., Namath, Davey Jones (how about the flip side?!).

You mean, flip the script and have the kids meet some female celebrities?  Come to think of it, they never DID do that, did they?  All of the celebs were male!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

You mean, flip the script and have the kids meet some female celebrities?  Come to think of it, they never DID do that, did they?  All of the celebs were male!

Well, the Imogene Coca episode. Of course, she didn't play herself. And of course they spent most of the show slamming her looks. So...yeah. I guess Alice was it for role models. And Faye.

• Love 1

[quote]You mean, flip the script and have the kids meet some female celebrities? Come to think of it, they never DID do that, did they? All of the celebs were male! [/quote]

Well, there was BeBe Gallini. Granted she was fictional, and frankly not much of a role model, and...what was the question again? ;)

As for the matter of height, or lack thereof, Greg was a bit short, but to be fair, Barry Williams was only 15 when this was filmed. And he was also standing next to Don Drysdale, who was 9 feet tall (6'6", actually). Robert Reed was also in that scene, and he was a tall drink of water too. Barry Williams would ultimately grow to be about 6 feet tall. That would definitely be short for today's MLB pitchers, but wouldn't stick out so much back in the 70's and 80's, when Greg Brady would have conceivably played. That is if he didn't bomb out at his next game and completely give up baseball to the point where it was never mentioned again.

And TBB did have their fair share of celebrities and athletes show up, but only two were Dodgers, Wes Parker and Don Drysdale. The other athletes I recall were Deacon Jones of the L.A. Rams, and Joe Namath, who would become a Ram, but was still a N.Y. Jet when he appeared on the show.

• Love 1
  3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Well, the Imogene Coca episode. Of course, she didn't play herself. And of course they spent most of the show slamming her looks. So...yeah. I guess Alice was it for role models. And Faye.

"Come on, dance with us!!" "That was Alice. I'm Faye."

• Love 2

Just no.  Mrs. Brady can't be dead.  

Those poor kids.   They really did all keep in touch (except for the Eve Plumb/Maureen McCormick estrangement).   It was like a family.  

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

SCREW YOU, 2016!!!!?????

To wake up and for this to be the first thing to learn?

Black Friday, indeed.

RIP, Mrs. Brady. Say hello to Alice and Mr. Brady please?

?????????

Her television family, I'm sure must be devastated as well. At least Maureen was able to have some time with her on DWTS. I also read her passing was unexpected, so just FUCK YOU, 2016!

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, UYI said:

And now I'm bawling.  God must really have needed her for a solo in the Christmas choir this year.  To this day, I can never sing or hear this hymn without thinking of the way Florence sang it.

Damn, but this hurts!

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Was that Kay who made the comment about how too much hot fudge makes too much Marcia?

Nope.  That was Alice, who was working as a waitress when the kids decided to pay her a visit in order to apologize to her and ask her to come back after they found out from Kaye that Alice was working there.