Type keyword(s) to search

The Brady Bunch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Barry Williams just turned 60 last September!

Maureen's daughter Natalie is only three months younger than me.

Pardon me while I go yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

Oh, and by the way, Cindy (NOT Susan, since I wasn't talking about her) could have grandchildren in 2015.  During all five episodes of The Bradys, she was dating the 40-something owner of the radio station where she worked as a DJ/talk-show host, and he had two teenage children.  Since it's now been 25 years since the show ended, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Cindy could have married her boss and been stepmother to his children, and that they in turn could have given her grandchildren.

When "The Brady Bunch" started, only Bobby and Cindy were younger than I. I have two grandchildren, aged 10 and 12. So there certainly could...and most likely would...be third generation Brady's running around.

That lingerie model is NOT Eve Plumb.  Her name is Randi Oakes.

If you google Randi Oakes and Eve Plumb, and look under images, the pic is in Eve's package.

If Cindy got married 25 years ago there is no reason why she couldn't have a grandchild or two kicking around.  

No reason, sure.  But keep in mind the societal reality that as a trend, people tend to have kids older now than any other time in history.

So the original statement ("we'd now be watching little Cindy's grandchildren grow up.") is still somewhat of a maybe.  It's possible the fictional character has a 24-ish year old kid (based on being married 25 years ago), and that kid a baby of their own, but more 24 year olds today aren't anywhere near babymaking than are. Also, I suppose we could debate if "grow up" implies older kids or not (which would be even less likely with a 24 year old, albeit not impossible in the age of "Teen Mom" TV shows).  

No reason, sure.  But keep in mind the societal reality that as a trend, people tend to have kids older now than any other time in history.\

If the Brady Bunch Movie taught us anything, it's that the Brady's aren't like normal people.  

• Love 2
(edited)

No reason, sure.  But keep in mind the societal reality that as a trend, people tend to have kids older now than any other time in history.

So the original statement ("we'd now be watching little Cindy's grandchildren grow up.") is still somewhat of a maybe.  It's possible the fictional character has a 24-ish year old kid (based on being married 25 years ago), and that kid a baby of their own, but more 24 year olds today aren't anywhere near babymaking than are. Also, I suppose we could debate if "grow up" implies older kids or not (which would be even less likely with a 24 year old, albeit not impossible in the age of "Teen Mom" TV shows).  

You forget, though, that during the run of The Bradys, Cindy was dating her 40-something boss who had two teenage children of his own, and the implication was that that relationship was getting serious enough that it would have led to marriage if the show had continued.  She would have thus become the stepmother of two children who more than likely would have given her grandchildren by sometime in the early-to-mid 2000s.  So even if Cindy herself would not have had children old enough to give her grandchildren by say, 2010, her two stepchildren would most definitely have been old enough to do so.

Now get the hell off my lawn, you annoying kids!

Edited by legaleagle53

I've been catching a few episodes on TVL lately, and I just saw one that I had completely forgotten about. It's the one where Robert and Florence play the the kids' great-grandparents. (I'm not sure why they couldn't have played grandparents...)

Anyway, the old makeup on Reed wasn't bad at all. The voice was a bit heavy on the Katharine Hepburn wobble, but he did a decent job of disguising his own voice. Henderson wasn't quite as convincing. Maybe they didn't want to old her up as much, but she pretty much looked like they plopped a wig on her head and called it a day. She didn't do much with her voice, either. Both actors seemed like they had fun with the part.

They ended up getting married (oops, spoiler!).

Maybe they didn't want to old her up as much, but she pretty much looked like they plopped a wig on her head and called it a day. She didn't do much witih her voice, either. Both actors seemed like they had fun with the part.

I vote you boys to protect us. 

I've been catching a few episodes on TVL lately, and I just saw one that I had completely forgotten about. It's the one where Robert and Florence play the the kids' great-grandparents. (I'm not sure why they couldn't have played grandparents...)

Because we'd already met Carol's parents in the pilot -- she and the girls were apparently living with them when she married Mike -- and they couldn't be grandparents on Mike's side because that would make them HIS parents.

• Love 2

I think Florence Henderson's characterization as Carol Brady's great grandmother might have been a shout out to her rural Indiana roots where she was the daughter of a sharecropper.

Wait.  Weren't she and Robert supposed to be playing Carol and Mike's respective grandmother and grandfather (which would have made them the kids' great-grandparents, not Carol and Mike's)?

Yes, but Statmom above was saying why they couldn't play their grandparents instead, which led to the explanation of how we already met Carol's mother in the pilot.

(edited)

Yes, but Statmom above was saying why they couldn't play their grandparents instead, which led to the explanation of how we already met Carol's mother in the pilot.

I know -- I was the one who wrote that explanation.  I was responding to Badger's comment about Florence's characterization as Carol's great-grandmother.

Edited by legaleagle53

I think Florence Henderson's characterization as Carol Brady's great grandmother might have been a shout out to her rural Indiana roots where she was the daughter of a sharecropper.

Miss Henderson has said that playing Carol's grandmother was simultaneously her favorite and least favorite part of the show. Her favorite because she got to use her own mother's Kentucky accent and even a few of her personality traits. This appeal almost made up for her enduring the application of very uncomfortable makeup  comprised of latex and cotton padding that was downright painful when it had to be removed from her skin so that somewhat guaranteed that Grandma would be  one-shot character.

• Love 1

They just recently showed the episode where they think Jan is allergic to Mike, then the dog. Her allergies are super fast reacting: she starts sneezing the instant the dog (and his flea powder) are in her vicinity, and stops the moment the dog is gone. They also consider the idea that she might be allergic to a food... because she sneezes?

They just recently showed the episode where they think Jan is allergic to Mike, then the dog. Her allergies are super fast reacting: she starts sneezing the instant the dog (and his flea powder) are in her vicinity, and stops the moment the dog is gone. They also consider the idea that she might be allergic to a food... because she sneezes?

To be specific, they thought it might be Alice's flour that Jan was allergic to.  In fact, Alice was convinced that it was the flour and nothing else, and she probably intended to ban it from the house if that had turned out to be the case.

I wish the guy giving the dramatic narration in the Hawaii episodes had done that for rest of the series.  "Marcia was looking forward to a date with Doug, the big man on campus when a football thrown by Peter hits her on the nose and causes it to be swollen..."

• Love 2

I knew I wasn't going crazy, but it was jarring seeing the Hawaii episodes premiere first as a three parter to the fourth season, and where Robert Reed's perm came alive. But then the next episode after that was when Marcia started Westdale, and Mike had the longish straight hair! I checked imdb, and the Hawaii did air before that, but clearly was filmed after.  I guess it's why, prior to MeTV airings, they always aired the Marcia starts high school first.

• Love 1

Yeah, seeing it you're more aware how much product had to be used to straighten that hair out now that it grew so long. It looked like it was shellaced in place. It was better to let it be natural at that point.

Watching the "Pete doesn't want to play Benedict Arnold" episode last night I'm wondering how freaking long is this junior high school play about George Washington that it can devote sooooo much time to Arnold that wouldn't even be in a 3 hour Hollywood biopic? I mean, they have Arnold's death scene even though he died a year after Washington! I mean when Washington dies, the play is over right? How did this play end? Parents are in the audience looking at their watches. Was it just Arnold or were there a lot of subplots about other characters in Washington's life too like John Adams? Ben Franklin? Betsy Ross?

It would have been better if instead there was a play about Lincoln and Pete wants to be "Honest Abe" but is cast instead as John Wilkes Booth! I could buy him being reluctant to play that, but Benedict Arnold? Who GAF?

I'd like to think Jan being in charge of making the sets for the play and working with Mike led to her being an architect as an adult.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Heh. It's weird, I was wondering how long until the Benedict Arnold episode, because I'm currently reading the Outlander series, and in the 7th buik, is the lead up to the American Revolution, and we've met Arnold, who is still on the American side.

What we saw on the show was a dress rehearsal, and it's pure plot driven, since Peter is playing Arnold, that we see him betraying his country and then his death scene. Maybe it was an epilogue of the play? I dunno.

I find myself laughing at the way Peter's friends treat him when they learn who he's playing. Considering I'm sure there were actors during that time that played historical villains! And that just because Peter was playing him, didn't mean Peter was just like Arnold. Clearly I'm thinking too much about this, but would they treat the person who would play him, if it weren't Peter like a real life traitor?

• Love 2

Even as a kid when I watched the episode I thought "Really?" Kids tease and ostracize over a lot of things but not because they're playing some historical figure in a play.

A few episodes before is where the kids think Alice is a snitch and shun her so she quits. Jerks. Although I do  find Carol demanding from Alice the truth about who broke the lamp in Mike's office hot now for some reason.

Edited by VCRTracking

MeTV is so messed up. Today's episodes jumped to the middle of the fourth season, except that the second of the four episode block was a Saved By the Bell episode, and the first and third were the same episode--where Marcia was "in love" with her dentist.

But the last one! "Amateur Night" which I love!

"Sunshine Day!"

And agree VCRTracking, the kids were all jerks to Alice. It was really Greg, Peter and Marcia who were angry with Alice for "squealing", and even though Jan defended her, she, Bobby and Cindy just fell along with the others.

I like Amateur Night, but I hate the musical episode on MeTV.  As with the opening credits on most of their shows, it's painfully obvious that they've "time compressed" the episodes (i.e. run them at a faster speed).  The tempo on the songs are all wrong.  Much more, and it will be The Brady Bunch with special guest Minnie Mouse. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I hate when they do that. Luckily "Sunshine Day" is on YouTube in the correct speed and I've already seen that performance an embarrassing number of times. Three things I take away from it.  First, it's great that Jan starts off the song.  Eve Plumb had a nice voice that makes me wish she had done the Variety show later. Second thing is that it's probably the hottest Marcia's ever looked on the show. Last, Bobby's soulful 'breakdown' parts are still hilarious. "Can't you dig the sunshine!"  Mike Lookinland, dude I don't know whether you were deliberately goofing around or you actually thought you were being cool. I hope it's the former!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

And "The Subject was Noses" was on last night!

I have to admit, Marcia just looked...not as pretty when she had those clips in her hair to hold a strand back when she first met Doug.  AND, I think Charlie is cuter than Doug.  I did love the ending when Marcia tells her parents how Charlie socked Doug--in the nose-- and the way she said "what an EGO!".

And I think they should have redone the opening credits with respect to Jan/Eve Plumb.  They were the new opening credits, but Jan no longer had her braces, and she's looking very pretty this season. Hasn't quite bloomed as she did in the final season, which is a year away, but she is still very pretty in this fourth season.

And then I laughed at the Jesse James episode--how the guy who played Jesse was saying "bang! bang!" as he shot Bobby's family.

• Love 1

Doug was played by Nicholas Hammond, the eldest Von Trapp boy in The Sound of Music and later played Spider-Man/Peter Parker in the short-lived Spider-Man late 70s series.

I knew that! I actually remembered him from Spider-Man than Sound of Music, as I didn't watch the latter until I was growed up! But Charlie is still cuter.

And seeing these episodes in the order that they were originally aired is brain whiplash. Why? Because it's obvious that they were filmed out of order! In season 4, I thought, okay! Jan no longer has braces! Oh wait, yes she does, two episodes later, to NO! she doesn't when "The Subject of Noses" airs...but the season finale? She's got those damned braces on!

So, I whipped out my dvd set, yes I have the one with the '70s green rug thingie as the cover...and started watching the last season.  Clearly they started filming before Mike Lookinland got da braces, because in the first three episodes, he ain't wearin' 'em, but in the opening credits, he is SO wearing them!

See? Brain Whiplash.

Though Maureen and Eve look waaaaay older than the 17 and 15 they're portraying. Or, were they actually 17 and 15? Eve for sure looked like she gained like 3 inches over the hiatus and really bloomed. But Peter. Oh Dear. That was the season it looked as if his hair turned to Brillo Pad. It was FUGLY.

And as I am watching the opening credits, I wonder--how long did the kids have to have those smiles on their faces before feeling as if their faces were frozen like that?

And I will not lie. In the episode where they put on their version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, I teared up when they pulled Mrs. Whitfield to the stage and gave her the present. Damn. This episode and the one in season one, where Marcia wrote the letter about Mike for Father of the Year...always gets me. 

And I also noticed that it was in the last two seasons that Mike got very strict with the kids. There was "Greg gets grounded." Oh boy. The way Mike grounded Greg for a week, Greg argues...Mike says he's lucky it's not two...Greg still argues and then: "Want to make it for three?" The way he said it. Yipes.  And the way Greg stormed off--that was so real.

And I know they're all actors and well, acting, but knowing now how Reed felt about the kids and vice versa, I pay more closer attention to the scenes with Mike and the kids to see if the real feelings translate and damned if i don't think they do. I'm not explaining it right. It's like on I Love Lucy when Lucy tells Ricky she's enceinte, that last shot, with her tearing up and Desi/Ricky, putting his cheek next to hers? That was real life emotion there. And no one will convince me otherwise.

• Love 3

Though Maureen and Eve look waaaaay older than the 17 and 15 they're portraying. Or, were they actually 17 and 15? Eve for sure looked like she gained like 3 inches over the hiatus and really bloomed. 

Maureen and Eve were actually 17 and 15, respectively.  Marcia was 16 at the start of the last season (she got her driver's license that year, remember?), and Jan was 14 -- but a very mature 14.

And I think they should have redone the opening credits with respect to Jan/Eve Plumb.  They were the new opening credits, but Jan no longer had her braces, and she's looking very pretty this season. Hasn't quite bloomed as she did in the final season, which is a year away, but she is still very pretty in this fourth season.

At least Eve got to look good in the final season credits. Susan Olsen finally got rid of those little girl braids for a more flattering hairstyle halfway through season 5 but the credits of every episode that year she's still wearing them!

Maureen and Eve were actually 17 and 15, respectively.  Marcia was 16 at the start of the last season (she got her driver's license that year, remember?), and Jan was 14 -- but a very mature 14.

This still is from the final episode ever and Jan....just wow:

tumblr_ntanqyYogL1qhbarso1_1280.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

So, for the past week, I've been watching the show on my dvd back-to-back...and I can I just say that I love Mike Brady?

And yup, when "Father of the Year" rolled around, and Mike received the award, and he goes and hugs Marcia, my eyes filled up with tears and rolled down my cheek.

And I forget: how many Tigers were there? I think there were three; Two in the first season. I think. Because the original Tiger had more of the black on his nose, and when we see him again, it's tan, and then it's black again. And then, the last time we see him, in Season 2's "The Impractical Joker", he's totally not a shaggy tan dog anymore; he's more white and gray.  I believe that's the last time we ever see Tiger. Although I am now in the third season, just watched the Grand Canyon trilogy.

I noticed they changed the girls' bedroom. No longer pink with the pink flowers, but just pink paint. And they moved the dresser drawer with the mirror from between Jan and Marcia's bed, more closer toward the bathroom.

And I'm bummed that there weren't more interviews and that the one and ONLY interview they did have, on the Season 1 disc, No Maureen, Eve, Florence or Ann. Just Barry, Christopher, Mike, Susan, Sherwood Schwartz and his son, Lloyd.  Not even a blooper reel!

So, for the past week, I've been watching the show on my dvd back-to-back...and I can I just say that I love Mike Brady?

ScorpiosRule,  I noticed something that you may really enjoy-- especially if you like looking behind the scenes at moments that most others miss.

Flipping channels yesterday and happened to land on the episode where Greg wanted to play football.  Mike and Greg  are having a heart to heart talk, and when the scene ends Greg is supposed to give it a  "Thanks, Dad"  and then walk off.  But he just stands there for a second.

Robert Reed gives Barry Williams a gentle pat on the lower back to remind him to move off his mark.

A very small moment, but it really shows the genuine affection the actors have for each other.  

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 3

It is funny what TV does for a teenager. In the last season I would have thought Eve was at least 16-17 and Maureen was 18-20. They look and act so mature. Oddly enough, they aren't dressed that mature and there hair is just long straight hair but Eve seems way older than 15. Of course, Eve is 6 years older than me and she might as well have been 20 years older. There is such a difference when you're 14 and 8. LOL!!!!! Yeah, Maureen & Eve look awesome in that picture above. Unfortunately, Susan never got out of the awkward years during the shows run.

Edited by ByaNose

I've been catching a few episodes of this lately and I just have to say I love Robert Reed. He was so handsome (not a fan of the perm years but it seems all the boys fell victim to bad 70s hair as the show wore on) and he turned in a very natural performance. His voice was so calming and comforting, too.

• Love 3

Something suddenly came up! It never gets old. I also notice that Maureen & Barry are more into each other in their two shot than they should be. LOL!!! Boy! Did these two have the hots for each other or what? It's crazy that this was all going down but we didn't know about it until 20 years later.

I... actually saw this when it was on. AIEEEE. I'm forgetting how (or if) they explained the conceit of the show ... that this is the actual Brady family... somehow... doing a show? Oh, Real Jan, how smart you were to avoid this.

• Love 2