Type keyword(s) to search

The Brady Bunch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Thanks for the catch! 🙂

That's what was driving me crazy yesterday! It would have taken half a day to retrace their steps!

No, Marcia won that obstacle course challenge fair and square. Greg, in his haste to get closer to the cone than Marcia did, pressed the accelerator too hard and knocked over the egg. At the end we see him ironing and he singes his finger. Cos he's a guy.

And when Bobby and Cindy talk about having the same kind of bet, Pete tells him to look over at Greg, who, as you stated, singed his finger. And Bobby decides it's stupid bet after all and bikes away, with Cindy calling him "Chicken." That one is airing on Sunday. Along with the dreaded "Kelly's Kids."

And ooh! ooh! Oooh!ooh!ooh! {Said in Horshack's annoying voice), in "The Elopement" that aired on Sunday, Bobby suddenly has NO BRACES. He had them as of the second episode of the final season, I think. Which leads me to think that this episode was filmed after the premiere or before, but aired as episode 12 for some reason. I hate when this show does this. Same thing happened with Jan. Braces. no braces then braces again!

Then we have a season three and season four episode Sunday after next in celebration of Halloween; so AFTER that we'll have the last few of season five, and hopefully back to season one.

1 hour ago, Homily said:

Checking out IMDB to see info about the Cincinnati episode I realized I only ever saw a handful of shows from the last season - one the oh so horrible Kelly's Kids episode.  I am guessing by that point in the series I had either outgrown The Brady Bunch or the episodes started to really suck.  Which leads me to a question - the last season had the episode where Marcia gets her driver's licence and has the competition with Greg - can anyone refresh my memory about what happened?  I seem to remember she came out ahead but that she still (in typical '70s fashion) somehow let Greg save face and come out the winner.

Marcia won but she told Greg that a silly contest doesn't matter. What's important is they're both good drivers. To his credit, Greg acknowledged he lost and will honor their agreement.

In the end tag, Bobby and Cindy told Peter they're having a contest to determine who is a better bike rider. Peter asks if they're sure and points to Greg burning his finger on the iron.

Some details may be off but that's the gist.

eta: Oops. Others already answered.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Marcia gets Creamed...

Really, Mike? Didn't your mother tell you not to do that? Gross!! 

What is with Mike going on a diet anyways? 

IMG_3811 a.JPG

IMG_3813 a.JPG

IMG_3814 a.JPG

IMG_3815 a.JPG

IMG_3817 a.JPG

It was to give Alice "support" because she had to go on a diet, and Mike claimed that he was the same weight as he was in college. But he'd only gained three pounds since then.

Mike should know better than to take a bite of something and then dip it in liquid. I'd think that RR would be aghast at that. lol 

Any of you guys download the show on your ipad or any show for that matter? Friday I will be going out of town and will have a long drive with the family. I was thinking of downloading the Brady Bunch on my ipad. 

EDIT: I will download FH's and MM's books on my ipad. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
On 9/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, Snow Apple said:

One thing I like about The Brady Brides was the theme song. It tells the entire story right there, just like the original. Using the original music was genius. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Maybe I am just easily amused but I thought The Brady Brides was just fine as a show and don't know why it didn't get another season. That is also me watching it now because I literally do not remember ever watching it before.

Though I do remember watching The Brady Girls Get Married and thinking it was obnoxious of Mike and Carol to even imply that they didn't want Jan to get married before Marcia. Even if that isn't what they meant and they had to understand that even bringing up Marcia's name in context of Jan getting married would get Jan upset, given Jan's ongoing-childhood feelings towards Marcia.

• Love 5
On 10/17/2019 at 1:01 AM, LexieLily said:

Though I do remember watching The Brady Girls Get Married and thinking it was obnoxious of Mike and Carol to even imply that they didn't want Jan to get married before Marcia. Even if that isn't what they meant and they had to understand that even bringing up Marcia's name in context of Jan getting married would get Jan upset, given Jan's ongoing-childhood feelings towards Marcia.

Yes.  And apparently the worry that Marcia wasn't married yet was the insurmountable problem. Because when Marcia came to them a week (?) later and said she was going to marry some guy Wally, they rightfully questioned that decision. When Marcia pointed out that Mike and Carol hadn't dated that long, well, then that's OK, guess Jan can get married.  OK, they actually said Jan could get married before that, but they seemed to put up much less resistance to the time thing.  I'm going to need statistics on how many marriages last when they groom proposes at the first meeting and the bride accepts a week later.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes.  And apparently the worry that Marcia wasn't married yet was the insurmountable problem. Because when Marcia came to them a week (?) later and said she was going to marry some guy Wally, they rightfully questioned that decision. When Marcia pointed out that Mike and Carol hadn't dated that long, well, then that's OK, guess Jan can get married.  OK, they actually said Jan could get married before that, but they seemed to put up much less resistance to the time thing.  I'm going to need statistics on how many marriages last when they groom proposes at the first meeting and the bride accepts a week later.

I wonder why no one added two and two and got four and rightly figured out that Marcia literally married the first man she could find in order to "allow" Jan to get married.

I'm only just getting around to watching The Bradys that I recorded that weekend Brides was on. I remembered Bobby's accident and paralysis and I remembered Marcia being an alcoholic. Watching it I vaguely remembered Jan/Phillip adopting Patty and Cindy dating her boss. But even while I'm watching it and seeing it happen I have no recollection of ever watching Mike Brady run for councilman.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

And apparently the worry that Marcia wasn't married yet was the insurmountable problem

I know my grandparents wouldn't allow my mom to get married before her older sister. Granted, that was almost a decade before TBB premiered, let alone The Brady Brides, but it was still a thing.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Glendenning said:

@MarkHB, I think that indicates the age of the writers of The Brady Girls Get Married.

I was trying to think if Mike and Carol had that type of attitude in the original Brady Bunch and the only thing I can relate it to is when both Greg and Marcia wanted the attic and Carol and/or Mike tried to say that Greg should get it because Marcia was younger and would still have a chance. 

58 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I know my grandparents wouldn't allow my mom to get married before her older sister. Granted, that was almost a decade before TBB premiered, let alone The Brady Brides, but it was still a thing.

but would they have been OK with your aunt marrying some guy she had met a week earlier just so your mom could get married?

7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I was trying to think if Mike and Carol had that type of attitude in the original Brady Bunch and the only thing I can relate it to is when both Greg and Marcia wanted the attic and Carol and/or Mike tried to say that Greg should get it because Marcia was younger and would still have a chance. 

I wouldn't really conside that in the same league. Getting married isn't something that they can only do one at a time because there is only one spouse available, as opposed to the fact that there is only one attic.  Now, if all the Brady girls wanted to marry the same man, then absolutely, Marcia gets first go.

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

but would they have been OK with your aunt marrying some guy she had met a week earlier just so your mom could get married?

An accurate answer to that question would be far more entertaining than I am willing to write here 😉 .

20 hours ago, Glendenning said:

@MarkHB, I think that indicates the age of the writers of The Brady Girls Get Married.

Sherwood Schwartz himself was only a few years younger than my grandmother 🙂 .

Dated/out of time aspects of works set in recent times because of the age of the creators are a constant problem. There was a 2012 book that featured two ten year old girls named Misty and Sherry. There were very few baby girls born in 2002 with those names.

So, as we're heading into the end of season five...so much more continuity issues!

First, in "Miss Popularity" we have Marcia suggesting she could drive around town showing the signs of "Vote for Jan Brady" to ensure Jan's victory. Then, two episodes later is "The Driver's Seat" when Marcia actually goes to get her driver's license! Jeeeeeeeebus!!!!!

The UFO one ("Out of this World") was so utterly stupid and one I don't really care about.

So next Sunday, in celebration of upcoming Halloween, I guess, we have two episodes from season 3 and 4, I think? and two from season five. And then AFTER that, the last four of season five. So, if it all does air that way, then November 10 should start with the Pilot again.

I'm looking forward to some ugly crying when "Father of the Year" rolls around. I just love, love, love, loooooove that episode.

• Love 1

Just watched Miss Popularity.... I didn't realize Jan had promised Herman that Greg would help him, was that really a promise? I still have a hard time believing that M/C still can't go out of town for the weekend, I mean, really?

Kelly's kids... Meh.. filler episode but love seeing Mike's chest hair. lol 

Driver's seat... Greg really did need a punch in the mouth and it was great that Marcia beat him.

Robert Reed reading this script and thinking to himself: Sherwood is out of his mind with this episode. Really? lol

2 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I still have a hard time believing that M/C still can't go out of town for the weekend, I mean, really?

Yes, really. Since the night they were originally planning to leave, ended up being the new/changed night for Jan's award ceremony.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, really. Since the night they were originally planning to leave, ended up being the new/changed night for Jan's award ceremony.

Maybe not for this episode but I would think that Greg and Marcia are old enough to keep an eye on the kids, they could have had a weekend alone the last year at least. 

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

Just watched Miss Popularity.... I didn't realize Jan had promised Herman that Greg would help him, was that really a promise? I still have a hard time believing that M/C still can't go out of town for the weekend, I mean, really?

Right? What real parents will cancel plans for a kid's popularity contest?

Thanks be to the TV GODS that the final season is OVER! Those last four episodes were PAINFUL and just so 🙄🙄🙄. Cindy was the WORST in the "Snoopster" and Bobby and Oliver were MAJOR idiots thinking Sam was a double agent. No WORDS on the ridonkulous of the "Two Peters" and then Greg's parting shot about having to talk to "Dad" about who would get the attic, after he was gone. Really? And here is Greg, GRADUATED from high school, but he still has NOT applied to any colleges????!

I hate that they got rid of Mr. Phillips as Mike's boss--someone who has been his boss since Day One, with what'shisface millionaire from Gilligan's Island as Mr. Matthews in the last two episodes. And he was annoying as all get out and a jerk.  And of course we have Mrs. Millionaire from Gilligan's Island as the snooty, stuck up, tight-ass in the snoopster episode. I don't see why Marcia or Jan should have been punished/or apologized for trying to teach Cindy a lesson about snooping.

Right. Like I'm supposed to believe that Bobby, just from watching television, would know how to play pool or be a pool shark.

And even if, one wants to say, the attic would remain Greg's for when he would visit over holidays, the conversation and agreement was, that Marcia WOULD get it after Greg went off to college. So there's no "talk to dad to see who gets it" nonsense.

And was Oliver expecting to stay with them forever? His parents were going to be in South America for years and years until he grew up? PUHLEAZE. Guest room for Oliver, my ass.

• LOL 4

Maybe Oliver's parents did unload him on the Bradys because they were tired of him breaking their stuff.

The UFO one ("Out of this World") was so utterly stupid and one I don't really care about.

I don't even bother to watch that one anymore because it's so ridiculous.

I'm looking forward to some ugly crying when "Father of the Year" rolls around. I just love, love, love, loooooove that episode.

Me too! But I wish that we had some confirmation that Marcia was allowed to go on the ski trip after all because, you know, she'd rather ski than eat.

Cindy was the WORST in the "Snoopster" and Bobby and Oliver were MAJOR idiots thinking Sam was a double agent.

I feel so embarrassed for Susan in that Shirley Temple episode. Cindy was way too old at that point to be acting that way. And obviously Sam never did make good on his promise to make it so the meat locker could be opened from the inside, as he and the other supposed spy got locked up in it by Bobby and Oliver.

I think the only episode in the final season that I can actually watch without cringing is "Getting Greg's Goat." There are some genuinely funny moments in that one.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I think the only episode in the final season that I can actually watch without cringing is "Getting Greg's Goat." There are some genuinely funny moments in that one.

I had pretty much stopped watching The Brady Bunch by the last season back in the day and catching some of these episodes in rerunland reminds me of why!

• Love 1

I liked Mr. Phillips and do wished they kept him for the last two episodes.

Next time Mike has a difficult female jerk of a client, he should sing to her, I think. 🙄 

It will be nice to see the first few years of the show again. 

I have been thinking about some of the stuff in the later episodes of season five and I admit, I can see why RR wanted the show to be a bit more realistic and I think sometimes the show suddenly became a kid's show in some way. 

Any of you guys buy the DVD set of the show? Which ones did you get if you did? 

2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I liked Mr. Phillips and do wished they kept him for the last two episodes.

Next time Mike has a difficult female jerk of a client, he should sing to her, I think. 🙄 

It will be nice to see the first few years of the show again. 

I have been thinking about some of the stuff in the later episodes of season five and I admit, I can see why RR wanted the show to be a bit more realistic and I think sometimes the show suddenly became a kid's show in some way. 

Any of you guys buy the DVD set of the show? Which ones did you get if you did? 

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have the full set with the 70s Shaggy cover.

It includes the ‘88 movie.

Gotta say, I love the updated DVD covers. Most DVDs of classic shows are generic and just show a cast picture. These are genuinely great designs IMO.

5709760_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

GUEST_89f243e6-7361-4dac-8e1c-6a66de76b2

3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Gotta say, I love the updated DVD covers. Most DVDs of classic shows are generic and just show a cast picture. These are genuinely great designs IMO.

5709760_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=55

GUEST_89f243e6-7361-4dac-8e1c-6a66de76b2

I do too. Also, my other big thing with the DVD sets of any show is, do they have subtitles or closed captioning. 

EDIT: I sometimes want to by the individual set and then the 50 year complete set so I can get the Bradys and Brady Brides. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
  • Love 1

I caught one of the early episodes today, where Mike and Carol were checking in to the honeymoon suite. I'm pretty sure at least twice, the desk clerk said to the bellhop, "boy, take so-and-so to their room" but there was no "boy" to be seen in the close captioning. Some after the fact cleanup, or just incomplete captioning?  FWIW, the "boy" appeared to be a middle-aged white male. Anyway,  get back to me. Have your girl call my girl, okay?

18 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

RR looks peeved

16 hours ago, smittykins said:

I noticed Robert Reed looking PO’d during the first-season opening.

I don't think it's Robert who is "peeved" or "Pissed off" so much as Mike--at discovering that he's down on the bottom, separated from Carol. Because when it opens, it's just the two of them, then bam, Mike is moved to the bottom.

I caught one of the early episodes today, where Mike and Carol were checking in to the honeymoon suite.

I hate that pervy desk clerk. When checking them into the honeymoon suite, he looks at them like he knows they're about to have a bunch of sex.

You will never believe this!! My mom was taking some of the containers that she had put Christmas stuff in and took them out to open then in the garage.... 

My DVDs and books and Brady books are in there!!! 😎

When we were still in San Diego, I had packed the books and dvds in a box that I felt needed to be replaced because it just didn't look sturdy but didn't say anything.  My mom had thrown out some Chrsitmas stuff from the storage container and took the books and dvds from that flimsy box and put it in that container. Probably did it after I left with my aunt and her dogs and my mom joined us a week later once the house sold. 

• Love 3

Finished the first season on the DVD set I bought and now on the second season where Buddy Hinton makes an appearance. 

What hours do you think Mike worked? Do you think he could leave work whenever he wanted to? Some episodes it seems like he's home when the kids come home. I thought it was maybe a 7-3 or a 8-4 shift. 

The unofficial Thanksgiving episode will be coming up either tomorrow or next Sunday. 

• Useful 1

What hours do you think Mike worked? Do you think he could leave work whenever he wanted to? Some episodes it seems like he's home when the kids come home. I thought it was maybe a 7-3 or a 8-4 shift. 

He probably worked 9-5, but I think that his boss wasn't very strict about Mike's hours. He worked a lot at home and he seemed to have a lot of evening meetings. His salary was probably commensurate with all the extra time he put in to balance the time he took off from his scheduled office hours.

The unofficial Thanksgiving episode will be coming up either tomorrow or next Sunday. 

Always a favorite of mine!

• Love 3

Mike's greatest moment that didn't involve him giving a speech was throwing the briefcase on the floor in small claims court so it would make a noise causing the guy in the neckbrace suing Carol for hitting his car to turn his head.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

I admit, I did see comments about this on Amazon.com but its really strange to me. 

I played the DVDs of the bunch on the computer and I got closed captioning but when I put it on the DVD player, no closed captioning. I'm hoping that the DVD player I have is just really old and I hope that the newer DVD player I want to buy will show closed captioning unless its the TV? TV does have captioning on btw. 

3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I admit, I did see comments about this on Amazon.com but its really strange to me. 

I played the DVDs of the bunch on the computer and I got closed captioning but when I put it on the DVD player, no closed captioning. I'm hoping that the DVD player I have is just really old and I hope that the newer DVD player I want to buy will show closed captioning unless its the TV? TV does have captioning on btw. 

Just throwing out a guess here, but does the DVD player have any settings you can adjust?  I had one that also had a tuner and a recorder, and there was a setting that had to be a certain way or you wouldn't get CC's.  Progressive scan off maybe? 

Is CC turned on (on the TV) for the input the DVD player is using? 

Or maybe there are actual subtitles (as opposed to CC's) on the DVD, and your computer defaulted to "on" but the TV/DVD player defaulted to "off"?  I imagine you already checked that (if the DVD even has a "setup" option - maybe they don't for a show this old?)

Can you tell I like to have subtitles/CC's when I watch anything? 🙂

20 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just throwing out a guess here, but does the DVD player have any settings you can adjust?  I had one that also had a tuner and a recorder, and there was a setting that had to be a certain way or you wouldn't get CC's.  Progressive scan off maybe? 

Is CC turned on (on the TV) for the input the DVD player is using? 

Or maybe there are actual subtitles (as opposed to CC's) on the DVD, and your computer defaulted to "on" but the TV/DVD player defaulted to "off"?  I imagine you already checked that (if the DVD even has a "setup" option - maybe they don't for a show this old?)

Can you tell I like to have subtitles/CC's when I watch anything? 🙂

Hmmm...  I put it in my ps4 console and got CC, so maybe the dvd player is really old?  I did mess with the set up but I noticed something, on the DVD player, it was full screen on the TV but on the ps4, it was like 16:9 screen. I wondered if it had anything to do with the screen? 

I like having closed captioning as well but I do wear hearing aids and it does help for sure but sometimes I think the TV or the program is messing up with the CC's. 

A Very Brady Christmas will be on MeTV on December 8th at 6pm. 

I know there is a page for this show but I just wanted to mention it here. A Very Brady Renovation Christmas will be on HGTV December 16th at 10pm.  

In case you somehow don't have the link to the topic page, here it is for the HGTV show but I'm sure most of you have it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I can’t remember if I mentioned this the last time we discussed A Very Brady Christmas, but they really messed up regarding the continuity-Cindy is whining about wanting to go skiing with friends because she’s finally graduating college—what? Did she and Bobby put off going to college for four years? The show ended in 1974. Bobby and Cindy were about 12. That would mean that both would finish college in 10 years or so. And that would be in 1984, not 1988, when this movie aired!

And the actress they cast to play Cindy didn’t even try to act like Cindy—in that I didn’t recognize Cindy. She didn’t act or talk or sound like Cindy. And no one “TOLD” her to come home.😒🙄🙄🙄

• Love 2