Type keyword(s) to search

The Brady Bunch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 08/05/2018 at 6:23 AM, VCRTracking said:

Currently watching a Murder She Wrote set in Nashville guest starring Florence Henderson as a country music star friend of Jessica Fletcher's. It's so awkward seeing Florence try to pretend to be a Country singer like Tammy Wynette but singing Broadway-style with a Southern accent!  It's from the  fall of 1990 so it was after the short-lived The Bradys ended(but she still has the same permed out hair). I think the show tried to do what later shows like This is Us and Parenthood(the 2000s version) did better. It was just weird to see the characters so serious and frankly, some of the cast's dramatic chops weren't up to the standard a Sterling K. Brown or Lauren Graham.

I remember a Murder, She Wrote where Jan was in prison and held Jessica Fletcher hostage. 

• Love 3

Yep; that was on over the weekend. She that makes four alumni who guest starred: Robert Reed, Florence Henderson, Barry Williams and Eve Plumb. Barry was the only one who was the murder victim! He was rally good at playing the bullying asshoke!??

So. "Father of the Year" was on this weekend, and again, it didn't fail to make me ugly cry when Mike realized why Marcia disobeyed him, and was caught climbing up the trellis so she could mail her entry before the deadline.  Episodes like this, I can understand, or think this is what Robert Reed meant when he thought this show would be more serious. Because Marcia states, ..."even though he's only been her father for a short time, no better or realer dad than" Mike; or that "even when he punishes me, it's because I deserve it."

BUT. Here's the one thing, as an adult that I can't ignore, but have to, because it adds to the drama of it all. Did mailmen come and collect mail late at night? I mean, I'm pretty certain the mail for that day had already been collected and delivered, and Marcia already missed the deadline, because it would have been picked up the next day! Or did she just luck out, and since it was a local contest, the letter arrived the same day it was collected?

I know, I know, suspension of disbelief, and drama of Marcia being punished and not being able to go skiing...But the end of the episode makes up for it all. But it still bothers me!!

Did she walk to the post office in her pajamas, her robe and her slippers? That always bugged me too! Nonetheless, "Father of the Year" is definitely one of my favorites.

Speaking of favorites, the Hawaii episodes air during "The Brady Brunch" on MeTV this Sunday, June 24. Those just never get old for me.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, mmecorday said:

Did she walk to the post office in her pajamas, her robe and her slippers? That always bugged me too!

Come on!  Who here hasn't taken a midnight robe and slipper walk to the post office? 

• LOL 2
On 6/20/2018 at 2:47 PM, Katy M said:

Come on!  Who here hasn't taken a midnight robe and slipper walk to the post office? 

I have never done that, but I can truthfully say that once, when I lived in a relatively small town, I received a letter the same day it was mailed.

Don Ho!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how I missed this the 1233456789 previous times I've seen these Hawaii episodes, but Mike's hair is the regular non-permed look when he gets off the plane and enters the shuttle bus; when he and the rest arrive at the hotel and meet David, he's sportin' the PERM!!!!

And wading into the shallow pool, when he's reading the plaque at Pearl Harbor, Robert Reed just looks like he aged several years. I dunno, he just looked younger without the perm. 

And I had another laugh at my closed captioning--when David is telling the story of the Great Shark God, closed caption printed "Gartz."

• Love 1

I was reading about Seattle today and I kept hearing the voice of Linda and the odd way she pronounce the word. Linda's the new friend of Marsha from the episode where Greg was crushing on his teacher. 

5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I was reading about Seattle today and I kept hearing the voice of Linda and the odd way she pronounce the word. Linda's the new friend of Marsha from the episode where Greg was crushing on his teacher. 

Ah, yes, Sea-ah-tull :)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/21/2018 at 9:46 PM, JacquelineAppleton said:

For a family sitcom, Marcia's femininity and budding sexuality is used a lot to snare males...

Ha!  You made me think of the Brady Bunch movie where Marcia's date comes to pick her up.  It's the wholesome Bradys and the modern day teenager, and it's funny because all the innuendo goes over their heads:

Doug:   I'm Doug Simpson, Marcia's date

Mr. Brady:  Oh, yes.  BMOC.  Big Man On Campus

Mrs. Brady:  Hello Doug.  Big Man on Campus!

Marcia:  (Showing her broken nose):  I suppose you don't want to go out with me now.

Doug:  Of course I do.  It's not your nose I'm after.

Mr. Brady:  Fine boy Marcia has there.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Ha!  You made me think of the Brady Bunch movie where Marcia's date comes to pick her up.  It's the wholesome Bradys and the modern day teenager, and it's funny because all the innuendo goes over their heads:

Doug:   I'm Doug Simpson, Marcia's date

Mr. Brady:  Oh, yes.  BMOC.  Big Man On Campus

Mrs. Brady:  Hello Doug.  Big Man on Campus!

Marcia:  (Showing her broken nose):  I suppose you don't want to go out with me now.

Doug:  Of course I do.  It's not your nose I'm after.

Mr. Brady:  Fine boy Marcia has there.

We mock Full House but the Bunch was worse in some ways. Even stodgy old My Three Sons handled the "step-child in new family" storyline better with Dodie!

2 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

We mock Full House but the Bunch was worse in some ways. Even stodgy old My Three Sons handled the "step-child in new family" storyline better with Dodie!

Eh?

As much as I love the Brady movies (not the television ones), I HATE that they made Greg this LOSER. Or Mike that clueless. I get that it was a spoof; but they could still have spoofed it and have Greg be popular due to his groovy retro clothes and what not. And not have Mike be dumb. Like how he made the same freakin' design for each of the clients! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Eh?

As much as I love the Brady movies (not the television ones), I HATE that they made Greg this LOSER. Or Mike that clueless. I get that it was a spoof; but they could still have spoofed it and have Greg be popular due to his groovy retro clothes and what not. And not have Mike be dumb. Like how he made the same freakin' design for each of the clients! 

and casting Shelley Long was some sort of sick joke. She deserved her failure after Cheers IMO.

46 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

and casting Shelley Long was some sort of sick joke. She deserved her failure after Cheers IMO.

I agree that Shelley Long isn't some great actress that was cheated just because.  But, I think she did a pretty good job as Carol.

• Love 3
(edited)

Knowing what we know about Robert Reed and his feelings toward the show, it is interesting to watch his reaction to some of the more slapstick moments.  Here's an interesting contrast between two episodes:

The first is the episode where the kids go on the talent show to try and win $100 so they can get a silver platter engraved for Mike and Carol.  Robert Reed didn't have too much interaction with the kids because the episode was focused on the kids trying to get the platter engraved.  At the end of the episode, the kids tell Mike and Carol that they got beat out by a poodle who could do tricks.  Bobby closes the scene by announcing,  "I know how we could have won.  We could have sat up and begged like the poodle did!"  And he drops to his knees an imitates a dog begging, including a few barks and assorted noises.

When the camera pans out, you can see Robert Reed faking a smile and thinking,  "Is this what my career has come to?"

. . . . .

Contrast this with the episode where Bobby becomes a safety officer at his school.  He lets this go to his head, and it causes problems with the family.  In this episode, Robert Reed interacts quite often with Mike Lookinland.  At the end of the episode, Bobby is helping fix up a boat and he splits his pants.  This time, Robert Reed leads the laughter and enjoyment of the scene.  When Mike Lookinland exits the scene, you can see Robert Reed smiling approvingly, as if to say,  "Nice job.  Good work hitting your mark.  Perfect exit"  as if he was watching his own son.

We can imagine Robert Reed and Mike Lookinland working together and rehearsing their scenes toghether.  Then, at the end, Robert Reed actually approves of the slapstick ending because he saw how hard Mike Lookinland worked to get it just right.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

Then, at the end, Robert Reed actually approves of the slapstick ending because he saw how hard Mike Lookinland worked to get it just right.

Robert Reed might not have approved of all the slapstick, silliness, but he loved those kids.  

• Love 11
On 6/24/2018 at 12:09 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Don Ho!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how I missed this the 1233456789 previous times I've seen these Hawaii episodes, but Mike's hair is the regular non-permed look when he gets off the plane and enters the shuttle bus; when he and the rest arrive at the hotel and meet David, he's sportin' the PERM!!!!

And wading into the shallow pool, when he's reading the plaque at Pearl Harbor, Robert Reed just looks like he aged several years. I dunno, he just looked younger without the perm. 

And I had another laugh at my closed captioning--when David is telling the story of the Great Shark God, closed caption printed "Gartz."

I read somewhere that Robert Reed didn't actually have a perm and that the humidity of Hawaii brought out all the curls that he had straightened before.  Not sure if that is real or not, but since he has curly hair in the movies, I'm inclined to believe it.  Kind of makes me feel better to know that even famous people have to deal with hair not doing anything you want it to in the humidity.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Eh?

I didn't care for that, either. They were trying to exaggerate the characters for the movies so Jan was more insecure, Marica a goddess, Cindy extra baby-ish, etc.  Greg shouldn't have been a ridiculous loser at all. Aside from that episode from his freshman year where he made a butt of himself getting a new room and acting like he was too cool for his brothers, he was shown as popular and very well liked.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, ByaNose said:

The Brady House is for sale. If I had the millions I would totally buy it. I would even hang a fake window out front for all the fans. I doubt the Dittmeyer's would like it too much though.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11222-Dilling-St_North-Hollywood_CA_91602_M10562-05393#photo0

I'm with you!  Needs the window.  I'm pretty obsessed with that backyard, but I think I'd keep it the same and not install astroturf.  That pink bedroom, though? Yikes. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I never really thought about it before, but that looks like a one story house.

It is. They used a fake window on the outside to make it look like it was a two story house. That said, the outside of the house doesn't even match the floor plan of the inside. Of course, we didn't care. LOL!!!!

• Love 2

There is a very cool touch that they left in place at the house for sale:

image.png.9d05579bb35256fe3eb6de459ece4318.png

For those of you too young to remember, please enjoy this blast from the past:

In the 1970's, it was very cool to have a whole-house intercom system.  The master panel, such as the one you see here, would usually be in the kitchen.  The theroy is that you could talk to anybody in the house using the intercom.

Imagine Alice in the kitchen, calling to Mike in the den using the system. 

There was also an intercom on the front porch, so when somebody rang the bell you could talk to them over the intercom.

The one at the Brady House also had an AM-FM stereo built in, so you could pipe music to any room you want.

SOOOOOO. . .   Since they were so 70's cool, why don't we use them anymore?  Glad you asked!

One feature of the system was the baby monitor.  Well, once those babies became teenagers, they didn't want parents or siblings being able to spy on them via the baby monitor, so they would intentionally damage the system.

And while it was cool to hear the doorbell ring and be able to press a button to say,  "Who's there?"   You had to get up to answer the door anyway so stopping at the intercom only slowed things down.

After a while, things would wear out or break and people simply stopped fixing them.

I'm glad they left this 1970's touch in the house for sale.  Very cool bit of nostalgia.

• Love 4
On 7/13/2018 at 9:56 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Like how he made the same freakin' design for each of the clients! 

Mike showing that design to every client is probably the part of the movie that makes me laugh the loudest!  That and the way Jennifer Elise Cox swings her hair when she does the Jan walk.  The 1st Brady Bunch movie is my #2 favorite comedy, right behind Spinal Tap.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 5

The last few episodes of the series are painful to watch and it's not Cousin Oliver's fault. He just happened to join the cast when the show was limping to the finish. The writers simply ran out of story lines. Are we really to believe that Bobby, who was never particularly good at anything, is suddenly a savant at pool? And then there's that awful one about Bobby and Oliver thinking Sam is a secret agent and they lock him and whoever that other guy was in the meat locker at the butcher shop. Didn't Sam say he was going to make it so the locker could be opened from the inside after Bobby and Greg got locked inside it in season three? The last episode is the worst of the series. Bobby sells Neat and Natural hair tonic and it turns the only buyer's hair orange. Too bad that buyer is Greg -- and on the day before his graduation from Westdale! Which Mr. Brady totally misses because he is out of town on business. In real life, Robert Reed refused to be in what turned out to be the series finale because he read the script and declared it terrible, even worse than some of Brady crap that came before. It's really too bad that the series had to end that way, because some of the early episodes were cute and entertaining.

Back to season 1 on MeTV next Sunday.

• Love 6

I read that Susan was forced to wear those Buffy Davis ponytails so that she would resemble Anissa Jones. Her hair was also bleached in the early episodes until it started falling out. Then her hair was dyed to match Florence Henderson's. I agree, she looked much better with her hair down. She probably felt the same way.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

In real life, Robert Reed refused to be in what turned out to be the series finale because he read the script and declared it terrible, even worse than some of Brady crap that came before.

I thought it was because by then, Sherwood Schwartz had had enough of Robert's constant bitching and had him banned from the set.  He only relented when Robert pointed out that it would be too hard for the kids to see their "dad" MIA for the last episode.  So Sherwood reversed the ban, but Robert was to stay out of the way during filming.

45 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Cindy's "Buffy Davis" hair... she looked better with it down. You'll never be Anissa Jones, Olsen. Don't try.

That wasn't Susan's idea -- it was Sherwood's, because he WANTED Susan to look like Anissa Jones.  As I recall, Susan herself hated the hairstyle.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

The worst was Cindy thinking she's the next Shirley Temple. Like Susan said, it would have been cute in the first few seasons, but it was just embarrassing in the last.

All the children grew up through the seasons, but Cindy was the only one they won't let act older than five.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

The worst was Cindy thinking she's the next Shirley Temple. Like Susan said, it would have been cute in the first few seasons, but it was just embarrassing in the last.

All the children grew up through the seasons, but Cindy was the only one they won't let act older than five.

Speaking of Ms. Temple, I know of a lot of girls my age did calisthenics in the early "Jane Fonda workout video nineteen eighties" but being enrolled in dance just because you are a daughter always grated with me. Patrick Swayze always tried to get parents to enroll their sons in dance as much as they did their daughters.

4 hours ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Speaking of Ms. Temple, I know of a lot of girls my age did calisthenics in the early "Jane Fonda workout video nineteen eighties" but being enrolled in dance just because you are a daughter always grated with me. Patrick Swayze always tried to get parents to enroll their sons in dance as much as they did their daughters.

Actually, that has nothing to do with Shirley Temple or the episode in question, so I'm not sure how you are able to make that work as a segue to your actual point.  And you might as well also complain that the boys were enrolled in sports simply because they were boys.  How do we know that Peter didn't REALLY want to be a Sunflower Girl and learn to bake Sunflower Girl cookies with Alice instead?  As it was, he caught hell from his teammates on the football team because he also wanted to sing in the school choir.  Shouldn't THAT raise your hackles just as much as having the girls take ballet lessons apparently does?

• Love 1

Sorry, i just saw a complaint online about how Shirley Temple inspired a lot of forced tap dancing lessons and another complaint about a ballet school marketing itself towards 'little princesses".

On 9/2/2018 at 8:28 PM, mmecorday said:

The last few episodes of the series are painful to watch and it's not Cousin Oliver's fault. He just happened to join the cast when the show was limping to the finish. The writers simply ran out of story lines.

And from that point on, any time a TV show brings in a younger child to dial up the cute factor, they have "Cousin Oliver'ed" the show.

• Love 2

What i don't understand is the hate some have towards the Robbie Rists/Brian Bonsalls/Emily Mae Youngs etc. The're just kids. they aren't responsible for the bad decisions of the adults in the production team.

• Love 4

I can't wait until they can replace child actors with CGI and a voiceover, to be honest. Too many stories of mistreatment. Mara Wilson (Matilda) shared reports of very young child actors being traumatized thinking that what they were filming was real.

• Love 1

Susan must have driven to distraction with all the changes in Cindy's character. In season one, Cindy was babyish but not a moron. She could at least memorize her lines for The Fairy Princess play. By season two she couldn't spell her sister's name. She had a hard time spelling Mark Mallard's name too. At some point she became a tattle-telling know-it-all.

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" was on this past Sunday. Alice really was a terrible liar. I don't know why she felt she had to make up elaborate stories about distant kin needing her for this and that. In the first season she doesn't feel needed anymore so she tells the Bradys she has a sick relative in Sacramento and she has to leave right away. In the fourth season, the kids think Alice is a snitch and they turn against her, prompting her to abruptly quit. She tells Mrs. Brady that a relative who may or may not exist offered her some awesome job and she has to leave right away -- again. Mrs. Brady should have known this was a ruse. She should have just told Mrs. Brady the truth.

9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" was on this past Sunday. Alice really was a terrible liar. I don't know why she felt she had to make up elaborate stories about distant kin needing her for this and that. In the first season she doesn't feel needed anymore so she tells the Bradys she has a sick relative in Sacramento and she has to leave right away. In the fourth season, the kids think Alice is a snitch and they turn against her, prompting her to abruptly quit. She tells Mrs. Brady that a relative who may or may not exist offered her some awesome job and she has to leave right away -- again. Mrs. Brady should have known this was a ruse. She should have just told Mrs. Brady the truth.

Such as?  "I'm sorry, Mrs. Brady, but it's clear to me that the house is going to get along just fine without me now that you're here and doing all the stuff that I used to do for Mr. Brady and the boys, and doing it better than I ever did. So I'm getting out of the way now so you can fully take over as the new Lady of the House."

Or, in the second instance: "I'm sorry, Mrs. Brady, but I just can't take being around these hateful brats anymore.  All of a sudden they're freezing me out because they think I've turned snitch on them, when all I did was answer your questions truthfully.  So for my own good, I'm leaving -- and don't worry about telling the kids or their being heartbroken.  They've made it clear that they don't want me around anymore, and I won't stay where I'm not wanted!"

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" was on this past Sunday. Alice really was a terrible liar. I don't know why she felt she had to make up elaborate stories about distant kin needing her for this and that. In the first season she doesn't feel needed anymore so she tells the Bradys she has a sick relative in Sacramento and she has to leave right away.

That’s not true. It wasn’t that Alice felt she wasn’t needed any longer, but that the boys still went to her-when Bobby hurt himself,  for example, instead of going to Carol. She wanted them and Mike, who asked Alice to repair his shirt, to ask or go to Carol. Maybe some of it was she didn’t feel needed, but it seemed to me, she thought while she was there, the boys wouldn’t fully accept Carol as their mom and the person to go to for things that mothers usually did.

I loathe that season four episode. For so many reasons, but mainly because of how much of assholes all the kids were to Alice. Well, except for Bobby and Cindy.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I loathe that season four episode. For so many reasons, but mainly because of how much of assholes all the kids were to Alice. Well, except for Bobby and Cindy.

But as Alice overheard them talking, Bobby and Cindy made it clear that they had already made up their minds not to have anything further to do with Alice simply because of what Greg and Peter and Marcia and Jan had already told them, so Bobby and Cindy really weren't any better.  Cindy herself even said, "Remember when we all used to love her?"

And yes, the kids deserved to get reamed out by Carol when she found out from Greg and Marcia why Alice had REALLY quit.  Just imagine the hell Mike would have given them if HE had found out!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Susan must have driven to distraction with all the changes in Cindy's character.

Reminds me of how Colin Baker (Doctor Who) queried what was happening with a confusing plot point, and was told to go away and act.

9 minutes ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Reminds me of how Colin Baker (Doctor Who) queried what was happening with a confusing plot point, and was told to go away and act.

Also known as every conversation ever held between Robert Reed and Sherwood Schwartz.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

But as Alice overheard them talking, Bobby and Cindy made it clear that they had already made up their minds not to have anything further to do with Alice simply because of what Greg and Peter and Marcia and Jan had already told them, so Bobby and Cindy really weren't any better.  Cindy herself even said, "Remember when we all used to love her?"

And yes, the kids deserved to get reamed out by Carol when she found out from Greg and Marcia why Alice had REALLY quit.  Just imagine the hell Mike would have given them if HE had found out!

True. But st least they weren’t out and out brats to her face. Cindy even asked if they shouldn’t ask if Alice could help. Then Bobby said they didn’t need to go asking for any favors from Alice-to remind Cindy. Okay Bobby was just as bad. Cindy wasn’t as bad.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Some of the episodes where Mike wasn't there, sometimes I wonder if Robert was glad not to be in those episodes. Like the one where the kids were jerks to Alice, I bet Robert hated that episode and was glad not to be in it. 

Sometimes I think Sherwood was a creepy guy with Cindy and her curls. 

15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

True. But st least they weren’t out and out brats to her face. Cindy even asked if they shouldn’t ask if Alice could help. Then Bobby said they didn’t need to go asking for any favors from Alice-to remind Cindy. Okay Bobby was just as bad. Cindy wasn’t as bad.

I hated that episode.   The kids broke rules and they blamed Alice for getting in trouble.   1) Alice was not their friend, they had friends their own age.  2) Alice was employed by their parents that meant her loyalty was to them.   She was not going to cover for the kids when asked a question by her employers.  But those self-centered brats felt that she should jeopardize her job for them.

• Love 2

Sherwood's - I can only call it an obsession with Anissa Jones - seems to have been psycho-sexual in nature - rather like those men who insist their new girlfriends dress up like their old ones etc.

6 hours ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Sherwood's - I can only call it an obsession with Anissa Jones - seems to have been psycho-sexual in nature - rather like those men who insist their new girlfriends dress up like their old ones etc.

All this over pig tails?  My mom used to do the same thing to our hair when we were kids.

• Love 1