Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Finale Part 1

It's official, these judges found and smoked the stash of crack the regular judges left behind last season. 

I disliked pretty much everything except for Sam's vest. Otherwise, I think she's screwed.  And Zachary DID go prom with that ugly lavender poof thing.  Kelly liked it just because it matches her hair.  Even Peytie disappointed me with that retina-searing combo of orange/gold/pink. YES, please scrap it.  Maya's insipid yellow & white brocade looks like it belongs on a cast-off Salvation Army chair. 

Horrible. I'm really bummed about what we just saw. 

And can they just stop saying "obsessed" for 5 minutes?  Please? 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

I just can't say it often enough, I love these kids. They are all talented but I think Maya has the advantage right now. She seems to have more completed pieces than the others. I think this will be a good runway show and I hope the adult contestants can learn from these children how to act. Oh yeah, I want hang out with Zeke's mom's!

• Love 3

I liked Maya's pieces a lot and didn't mind the pattern on the dress. I thought she had the best attitude going into this; she was not afraid to show her good pieces, and they looked finished. Zachary's purple dress looked vaguely like something last years plus size winner would create. And his pants on the other one looked wonky. 

I have liked Peytie all along but both she and Samantha seemed to have an attitude before the runway show. Samantha's pieces do look like something young college age women might wear, but there is no wow factor or originality. The judges seem to like her a lot so she may very well win. I hope Maya takes it, she has a big future ahead of her. 

• Love 7

The first 1/2 hour made me worried for all of them as it looked like
no one had anything in their collections as good as what they did for
the regular runway/challenges.

Rhetorica, I agree with you about Maya's pieces. She almost blows
the rest away. However, I'm still partial to Peytie. I love her
style & enjoy the colors/pattern mixes that she uses. Oh, except for
that orange dress thing. I did like the colors, but not the outfit. Her

sister's handdrawn painting was amazing. I loved the leather shirt

with the gold handpainted mandalas.

Zach's mom was a pisser. Loved meeting some of the family. When Tim
said that there would be no home visits I was so bummed out. I'd been
looking forward to seeing where/who these kids came from. At first, during
the quick clip of the pingpong I thought Peytie's dad was her older
brother. I love how supportive all the families members are. Lucky kids!

Madding, I thought that Maya also had a wee bit of an attitude.
Something she said about someone's pieces not being done or finished
and how that was less competition for her. These kids are human,
afterall & considering their behavior throughout the season these
little snipes were easy to ignore.

And speaking of Maya, she's so sophisticated for her age. She's going
to be a stunner as she gets older. She carries herself well.

I'm still hoping for a Maya or Peytie win. Peytie's stuff is more my taste

& style but Maya's so talented. I think poor Zach doesn't have a chance.

And the judges really like Samantha but something about her just rubs me

the wrong way. I really hope she doesn't win. She has a strong point of view

but it's very narrow. And she has a lot of work ahead of her to make those

pieces runway ready.

I wonder what the "little surprise" is going to be. A whole new outfit?
None of them really have time to create and finish another piece.

I've enjoyed this season so much. I will really miss these kids.

• Love 5

Those were pretty bad across the board! A few good pieces, but damn.

Occurs to me that Samantha basically gets 4 extra days over Zachary and Peytie, who had to fly home, back, home, and back again. For Maya it's about a half the travel time.

Samantha's collection does not do it for me. The colors and the POV are good, but it's too one-note and puffy. Of course she'll win because she's the one I don't get. And because she has so much to do, that means we haven't actually seen her collection. Hard to say what we'll actually be seeing.

I love Peytie's aesthetic, but how she got a pass on that orange shower curtain I'll never know. Her family is ridiculously good looking. And her sister! That she painted freehand is phenomenal.

Zachary's two looks did not go together at all. Curious to see if he can salvage the prom dress. His Mom is a friend of a friend and she's mentioned online how brutal it was to watch him be in the bottom & be eliminated. You could really see her stress and appreciation when she was with Tim. Awww.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 6

I'm rooting for Maya but given the amount of "Samantha's in deep trouble" stuff I fully expect Samantha to win.

I agree.

I will be at my table for one in thinking their collections were not horrible.

Maya's collection was my favorite overall. I liked the yellow flower brocade fabric, especially with the black and white. She had a lot of pieces that I really liked. It also, looked like she really spent her time well, because her designs looked close to be done. I have liked her ideas that she has for her designs throughout the competition. She seems to think things through very well.

I admit I liked Zachary's collection as well. It was probably my second favorite after Maya's. Zachary has a more mature design aesthetic, but his designs do not bore me. It isn't like he is Ven from original recipe PR. I love Zachary's fashion knowledge as well. I did like his hesitancy about what the judges would think with him getting the Tim Gunn save. I do not think Zachary will get the win, but I do enjoys his designs. 

I was expecting to like Peytie's collection more, but I did not. I like a couple of her pieces, but it felt like a mish-mash of everything. I am glad she decided to get rid of the orange dress, because I was questioning it from the moment I saw it. I did like her sister's painting on the fabric. I liked her designs more during the regular competition than the ones that she made for her collection.

I admit to never warming to Samantha's design aesthetic at all. I liked her first challenge design in the first episode, but beyond that not so much. I feel like it is more of the same with oversized bulky coats, lots of pockets,and cargo pants/shorts. 

I do want a Maya win, but I feel Samantha will get the win. I like all of these kids so I cannot really fault any of them winning. I do hope if there is another season of this show they do not try to amp up the drama with catty personalities and such. I liked this show because it was low drama. It was more about the designs and with the drama primarily being about the clothes/ideas/time issues. The kids were nice, with few nasty remarks and got along well even if they did not have the best collaborations. If they said anything questionable it was fairly mild.

For me, this version of PR was a breath of fresh air compared to regular version.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 9

Seriously, I thought Peytie's dad was her brother as well. Gorgeous family, lovely happy people. You realize how rarely happy, supportive families are on TV. 

Loved Maya all season, but I am with Christian on this one...the yellow brocade looked a little stodgy to me. And I am pulling for a Maya win...though I would be happy with Peytie as well. Love the looks both have sent down the runway.

And Samantha....looks like she just took the Carhardt catalogue of working men's gear and decided to redo it in worse fabrics. Zach's remark about being a seamstress could refer to Samantha...have not seen one original idea or design from her...just 20 year old cargo pants, and the same jacket, over and over.

Now she is redoing the fabric that bought her a win for the finale. She is just so far behind Maya and Peytie...but the judges have been handing her undeserved wins all season. Like Ashley before her...the mediocre and unoriginal seem destined for the win.

• Love 4

I predict a Maya or Peytie win for this. My daughter wanted Peytie's Land's End backpack for Christmas btw and uses it every day.

So, these kids are in high school, and whoever wins this gets a scholarship to FIDM. So does that mean they could just coast along for the rest of high school not giving a damn about their grades beyond passing so they can graduate, since they already essentially got into college?

• Love 1

Sounds like so far we're watching the same show.  I'm also rooting for Maya but the amount of reality tv I've watched makes me think it's Samantha because she's so far behind.  If they weren't kids, maybe she'd fail...but it's probably the typical underdog story.  I wonder if she was intimidated by the magnitude of things, because that was some serious procrastination.  

The amount of voiceover at the end was distracting.  Maybe just do a music montage instead.

I loved how Zachary apparently sewed his flowers onto the gown, when the winner last season of the adult version hot glued her finale looks from what I recall.  

In the adult version of this show I'm beyond tired of the whole "play on masculine/feminine," but with Maya here it actually feels fresh.  I think it's because I'm used to seeing it as, like, women in black leather with helmets of some sort stomping down a runway, where the masculine is almost dominating or obscuring a more feminine/softer element, and the way she's doing it it's...it's white, light, she's got flowers.  She doesn't shy away from the softness, or what I guess is the more feminine side, and that makes it something I haven't seen before and, frankly (clearly) something I don't exactly have words for.  It's very cool and, for me, thought-provoking.  I think the kid's got a voice, and it's new, and I'm rooting for her.

I quite enjoyed the judges tonight, as usual.  It was nice when the woman from Seventeen jumped in to say that not everything has to be young (that's how I'm choosing to hear it).  The kid's designs skew more mature.  As long as it's good design, who cares.

• Love 7

I loved how excited the finalists were to unzip their bags and reveal their collections to each other. I hate how some of the finalists on regular PR act like they're guarding Colonel Sanders' secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices inside their garment bags. Look, everyone is going to see what you brought eventually so quit acting like you're hiding top secret documents. It was so cute to see them count to three and unzip their bags together and then walk around to ooh and aah over everyone else's stuff.

I always have mixed feelings about the judges getting a preview of the collections because while in theory it's great for the designers to get some feedback (which is what would happen with a normal collection before it hits the runway), getting these suggestions a few days before the show when they have no more money to buy fabric isn't very helpful. How is Samantha supposed to make an evening wear look without more fabric? And how would that even fit into her collection? Now I'm picturing an orange neoprene vest with a million pockets and a matching ballroom skirt. If they truly want the pre-Fashion Week advice to be helpful, they should (1) give the designers more time to create their collections and (2) give them feedback at midway point so that they have time to make changes.

I haaaaaaaated everything in Samantha's collection but I knew that the judges would fall all over themselves to tell her how fresh and cool it was. You know, because boxy cargo pants and glorified fishing vests made out of neoprene are so cutting edge. Again, I don't want to sound like Heidi who is always harping on how things need to be tight, short, sexy, and shiny with boobies showing. I am fine with unisex or masculine influences in women's wear. What I dislike is that Samantha's stuff looks the same and not in a good way. When she showed Tim the pieces she had, I thought they were all the same but in different colors. On top of that, she has consistently not finished her pieces well. I know they have time constraints, but still.

I have loved Peytie all season but I wasn't wowed by the two things she showed the judges. The orange dress was unflattering and didn't move well. The skirt and top outfit was cute but it looked like something you could have bought at Urban Outfitters circa 1997. I totally understand that fit and finish are important for the final runway show, but it seemed silly for Christian to point that out for the preview. Obviously Peytie wasn't going to fit the leather top perfectly to her preview model because she might have another model wear that at Fashion Week (and no one wants to put extra holes in a leather top).

I love what we saw of Maya's collection. I was hoping she would show the piece with the black accordion pleat detail in the back, but I think she chose two good pieces to show the judges. I didn't love the yellow flowered material but I can see why she chose it for that outfit for the contrast between the more structured material of the brocade and the sheer flowy material of the cape. I think both pieces looked sophisticated but youthful. I don't necessarily agree with the judges that we need to say a casual daywear outfit with this collection though.

Oh, Zachary. It was so sweet to see him at the beginning of the episode still fresh from crying about being saved. I didn't like his pale bubble prom dress but I totally appreciated the effort that went into the construction, particularly the flowers. I liked his straw outfit with the black pants. I think that he did a pretty good job making his looks more youthful than usual. I'm also glad that Aya pointed out that he doesn't have to design for teen girls just because he's young.

Tim was adorable trying to play ping pong with Peytie's family.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 10

Welp, I'm going to be critical for pretty much the first time since this show started. I HATED Samantha's "collection." I don't see anything feminine about it. It's all cargo and neoprene all the time and it's not fresh, original or runway quality.

I feel like I'm looking at fishing vests at one of those big outdoor stores. And every PIECE was almost the same. Also, why does it seem like she's prissy about her talent all of a sudden? I'll forgive that part, though; I mean they ARE kids and I'm sure they're impressed with themselves that they're showing at NYFW. Having said all that, I think Samantha will win. I've kind of thought she was the anointed winner from the first show, and now, with the "I've got SO much to do" storyline, I'm sure she's going to pull off that "underdog" victory.

I liked pieces of Peytie's the best. I didn't understand the orange shower curtain with the pinkey-red beaded collar. To me, the colour combo was jarring. And I didn't realize it was beaded either until they zoomed in on it on the runway. I thought it was some ugly puckery fabric.

After all is said and done, though, these kids are so talented that it is RIDICULOUS. Honestly, I kind of don't care who wins, but I'd prefer Peytie, Maya or Zachary. This has been super enjoyable to watch and I don't know that I'll ever view PR regular the same way, again, after seeing how mature and supportive TEENAGERS can be, even in a competition setting.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 13
Samantha's pieces do look like something young college age women might wear, but there is no wow factor or originality.

Oh man, I couldn't help but think her pieces look like they're from Talbot's or something! They say Zachary has the designer's equivalent of an old soul, but last night made me think that title is more fitting for Samantha. A sophisticated and well-to-do old soul, maybe, but not, IMO, for the closet of anyone young. I did like the colors though, even (especially!) the pea-soupy green.

Some of Maya's pieces reminded me of, like...Henry VIII-era dresses (or at least what the entertainment industry wants us to believe the dresses were like then) meets vintage '70s prairie-style. I liked how they looked but I wanted them to be maxi dresses, man.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I was underwhelmed by pretty much everything that was shown.

I liked Maya's gown but that's about it. The floral pattern reminds me of a couch or curtains.

I was disappointed by Peytie, I usually like her stuff but all the colors, mirrors, painting and braiding is overkill. I hated her orange monstrosity of a dress, hope she scraps it.

Zach's lavender dress looks like a prom dress, and bottom heavy with all the flowers. Too bad because he put a lot of work into it.

Why did Sam keep saying she didn't have time, things weren't done, etc...were the kids back in school when they filmed this part of the show? Maybe a couple cargo /Army looks would be ok but not a whole collection.

I hope the kids clean up and finish their looks for next week. I still think they are all nice kids and very talented. Still hoping Peytie or Maya wins.

• Love 4

I love the designers - they are all amazing at their craft and all have wonderful personalities.  They will all go far, but I think they one most destined for success is Peytie's sister.  

I wonder what the "little surprise" is going to be. A whole new outfit?

None of them really have time to create and finish another piece.

I am really hoping that it is an extra few days to finish, but, being more realistic, I hope it means that they are bringing back the auf'ed designers to help them finish.  That would the only one of the surprises they done in the past (that I can remember) that wouldn't be a mean thing to do to these wonderful kids.

• Love 1

I think they were in school--Peytie was talking about having a hard time concentrating in her geometry class or something (though I would assume she'd already have a pretty good working knowledge of geometry, considering she makes clothing! That's my downfall in my amateur sewing attempts, I admit).

Samantha: She sounded a tad cocksure when she said, "I made the shorts in 10 minutes, so...."  I think her "Military Uniform Chic" is pretty unattractive, but at least she could use non-military-oriented colors, like 2016's pastel pink and light blue!

I thought the other three were trying too hard to be who they are not. And when the best look was done by one's younger sister, well.

Zach's balloon bottom doomed him.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

I think the surprise is either help or a trip to mood and more money. Or both.

It's too bad they couldn't coordinate this so the kids would be out of school. Taking that into consideration, it's amazing what they were able to do.

• Love 3

I predict a Maya or Peytie win for this. My daughter wanted Peytie's Land's End backpack for Christmas btw and uses it every day.

So, these kids are in high school, and whoever wins this gets a scholarship to FIDM. So does that mean they could just coast along for the rest of high school not giving a damn about their grades beyond passing so they can graduate, since they already essentially got into college?

Scholarship doesn't mean admission. Scholarship is the financial. People lose their scholarships due to poor academics.

• Love 4

Samantha: She sounded a tad cocksure when she said, "I made the shorts in 10 minutes, so...."   

That moment bothered me. Same when she dismissed Tim's concerns, saying something like "We both know I can do this" in her TH. I've gotten so used them acting older their years that an eye-rolling teen moment took me by surprise.

• Love 6

I was curious to meet Samantha's parents because she's got a huge amount of confidence

for someone her age. And sometimes she does not wear that confidence well. That said,

her parents were so nice & positive. I loved how all the parents were so supportive. What

a breath of fresh air. I wish them all great success. But still hoping for either a Peytie or

Maya win.

An aside: I have a hell of a time getting my paragraphs to line up. Anyone else have this

problem? All of the post here never look as chopped up as mine. How do you do that?

Edited by kat165
  • Love 3

An aside: I have a hell of a time getting my paragraphs to line up. Anyone else have this

problem? All of the post here never look as chopped up as mine. How do you do that?

Oh, I just thought that was your design aesthetic.  

I don't know why you are having that issue, perhaps it could have something to do with the system you are using, I don't have that problem and I use either Chrome or Explorer and a computer (no phone posting)

• Love 3

Are we the same person? Because this was my exact thought.

Maybe we're multiple personalities.    I said the same thing last night, before even one piece was shown.

What's the deal with Samantha's military uniform inspiration?   Does anyone go into the military for the clothes?  Sure, every now and then a jacket with a military flair can be fun.  But everything?   Her looks were like something the rebels on The Hunger Games might wear on a night out.

Zachary's stuck in the past.   Everything he does looks nostalgic or shopworn. 

Peytie's talents were outshined by those of her kid sister, who kind of looked like a mini-Hannah.

Maya for the win!

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

I like all of these kids so I cannot really fault any of them winning. I do hope if there is another season of this show they do not try to amp up the drama with catty personalities and such. I liked this show because it was low drama. It was more about the designs and with the drama primarily being about the clothes/ideas/time issues. The kids were nice, with few nasty remarks and got along well even if they did not have the best collaborations. If they said anything questionable it was fairly mild.

For me, this version of PR was a breath of fresh air compared to regular version.

I agree. I enjoyed Project Runway Junior so much more than the adult version because it was about a design competition. The adults act way too "childish".

These kids are pretty exceptional. I don't seeing any of them coasting along.
  • Love 4

Thanks, Needschocolate! That made me laugh. Yeah, that's it. :)

I'm using xp with a firefox browser. Usually I type up my post
in wordpad first and then paste it in, but even if I type directly
into the reply box I get the same thing. I apologize to everyone/
anyone who has had to struggle through my wonky posts. The look of
them drives me crazy, and I try to fix/edit whenever I can.

Peytie's sister seemed so shy & embarrassed. I hope Peytie can help
bring her out of her shell because she's also very talented. I'm
very impressed with the families of these kids.

Although I did cringe alittle when Maya's mom brought up Maya's lack
of skill with a soccer ball which, apparently, drove her to sewing. My
dad said something similiar to me when I was kid - that I was good
at drawing because I was a fat kid and couldn't play sports!

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

Well, Maya and Zachary (in that order) had some good things going on, and the former is probably likely to win.  Maya's looks are cohesive, sophisticated, well-made and look really great.  Zachary had some good pieces too, though he never added the promised black lapel to his 'it's chanel straw!' dress.   His bubble dress is in all ways better then the finale dress that won last season of regular PR...

Peytie's over-reliance on that recycled print from earlier in the season was bad.  And while her little sister's hand-painting is great on the top, those two prints don't go well together.  Her mettalic dress was just awful, I'm glad it won't be seen again.  I initially thought the point was to have some other clothes beneath the slit, not to sew some horribly cheap swatch of silver in there. 

Samantha...it's just the same crap from all season, it's one-note, it's poorly made (at the last minute! and she seems to brag about making it in twenty minutes...) it's bad.  I hate that style of long 'jacket' she keeps putting out, where it's slouchy, unstructured, has no collar, no zipper, no buttons...the neckline looks horrible and it's just NOTHING.  It's not even a jacket, really, maybe a dressing gown/robe.  At least the judges finally called her out.  Thankfully it looks like there's no way in hell she's going to win.  It was kind of funny the way the other contestants were going crazy over each other's designs, and then when they go see her stuff it's like 'oh....'

I am glad that they got to go home and make a collection, unlike all-stars/under the gunn where everyone makes a four-day finale collection on-set.  It would still be nice if they brought back eliminated designers as last-minute helpers next week.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 3

Oh my.  Not what I expected.  I have a hunch that they have much more time to correct things than implied.  They all need to do some major re working. 

I didn't like anything.  I see where they were trying to go but it was a fail on all fronts.  Their finished collections will be better.  Yeah, they will be given more time, money  and help because they want them to succeed.  AND, bottom line, it makes a better show. 

Zachary has always been into the old classic designs but missed.  For me, he always has.  I don't care for peplums and he loves them, obviously. 

Peytie has a great sense of Bohemian but did not translate that with her horribly mismatched prints within the category of cool mismatched prints! 

Maya?  Maya?  Oh no, that was not good at all.  Where did you go?

Samantha, I get what you are going for and I like it.  You will refine that in time and understand that neoprene is not the best material for the look you want.  

We will have a good finale, we will. 

After Week 3, they'll come back to New York to check in with Tim (homie don't have time to fly, since he's also shooting Season 5 of Project Runway All-Stars).

What? Tim isn't anywhere on the press-release for All-Stars 5, he's never appeared on it before either... 

I was underwhelmed by pretty much everything that was shown.

I second this. I thought Maya was the best of the bunch, but pretty much all of it was 'meh.' I was most disappointed by Zach. That one outfit looked like a moving blanket, and where did his immaculate finishing go? Samantha I think just fell in love with neoprene mesh and doesn't realize that a little goes a long way. Peytie's orange dress was awful, but the sleeveless leather top was great.

Occurs to me that Samantha basically gets 4 extra days over Zachary and Peytie, who had to fly home, back, home, and back again. For Maya it's about a half the travel time.

Which makes it all the more puzzling that she had the least done.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

Glade, everything these kids have done this season have been
better than the winning final look on the adult season.

Truthfully, from what we've seen so far I'm very disappointed
with Peytie collection. She did so well during the regular
challenges. I think maybe the "requirements" of each challenge
possibly inspired her. I hope she's able to get it together for
the final showing.

Glade, I can only hope that there is no way in hell Samantha
will win.

And speaking of last minute helpers Amanda really looked great
when she came in to speak to the kids about the vision work
glasses. Aside to Operalover, at least it wasn't Kate!

Samantha strikes me as "entitled" and doesn't seem to have put
as much time and effort into her collection as the others have.

Ya know, because she's just so fabulous she doesn't have to!

• Love 3

Oh, I just thought that was your design aesthetic.  

You know when people say "I just choked on my ---" and it's such a cliche.  Well I'm sorry, but I actually did choke on my spit from this.  It was marvelous.   I thought the same thing, and you managed to get your joke to fit the show we're posting about, oh my word.

I like Samantha least as a person but yes I liked her collection the most.  Not really because I could ever wear it, but I thought it was the most innovative and fashion forward.  I'm using those words lightly, because they're adolescents.  I liked how Zachary was so ambitious. 

I did not GET Maya's for the life of me.  Goodness.  Did not understand that.  It looked like bargain basement Chanel.  Is that too mean?  And Peytie's hodgepodge, I mean, good on her, but I've never been a Boho woman.

I'm starting to get annoyed by the Cosmo judge.  "Samantha, your collection can't just be -- (lists 4 or 5 things that Samantha managed to fit into two pieces)."  Oh it can't?  Why the fuck not?  Jesus.  Like sometimes, Ralph Lauren will do an ALL eveningwear collection.  Or sometimes, Michael Kors will do an ALL safari-inspired casual collection.  Again, why the hell not, this isn't the 1980s when everyone wore a tuxedo to the fashion shows and LaCroix showed couture.  (I'm guessing).  Like fuck, this is real life, how many galas do you all go to on the regular?  I want to see fashion, not a bathing suit to start the show and a wedding dress at the end.

I guess I like Christian, because he's meaningful and just doesn't parrot the others, and I like Hannah, because she's sweet and harmless.  The other two can leave anytime.  

Zachary's mother was amazing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I was really impressed with what we saw of Maya's collection. I liked how she seems to have extended that play with the 'rib cage' from the previous challenge. While the faux brocade doesn't really excite me, I like the clean lines and the contrast with the black. A day look would be interesting, but I think she can dress her looks up or down. Her collection is my clear favorite. 

If Samantha wants to play with feminine/militaristic, I wish she would actually push it further. I don't need evening wear, but maybe something like a better constructed version of the shirt dress from the last challenge. I'm not excited by either her concept or her execution. 

Zachary... I can't deny his talent, and I've loved his fashion knowledge from day one. Our styles are dissimilar, but I liked the concept of the Chanel straw dress, and I liked the lining as well. 

Peytie - I'm a little disappointed that she used so much of the previous fabric - it would've been better in small doses. Adding baubles and piping to it makes me like it even less, unfortunately. I liked the  iridescence of the fabrics she used in the orange dress, but agree that it needs to be different. The hand-drawn fabric was used to great effect...at this point, her collection feels boho-but not in a positive way. 

Edited by Grandma Saracen
  • Love 1

Add me to the list of people who hated Samantha's stuff. Not original, not attractive, not fashionable, imho. I am absolutely baffled that the judges like it.

Really there was a lot of wtf going on here. That choker-collar thing of Peytie's with the beads was just.... wtf? I liked the top and skirt, but the orange monstrosity was just ghastly. 

Zach has some good moments but I think he's all over the map right now. Given another 2 weeks to work on it, he might have boiled it down to something good, but right now I think he's just kind of flailing. 

Maya seems to have her design aesthetic firmly in hand, but she's a little bit too much in love with sheer fabrics, I fear. A little of that goes a long way. Some of her stuff can look a little costume-y or like a superhero cape. But to me she has the best shot at a win. 

• Love 1

I'm starting to get annoyed by the Cosmo judge.  "Samantha, your collection can't just be -- (lists 4 or 5 things that Samantha managed to fit into two pieces)."  Oh it can't?  Why the fuck not?  Jesus.  Like sometimes, Ralph Lauren will do an ALL eveningwear collection.  Or sometimes, Michael Kors will do an ALL safari-inspired casual collection.  Again, why the hell not, this isn't the 1980s when everyone wore a tuxedo to the fashion shows and LaCroix showed couture.  (I'm guessing).  Like fuck, this is real life, how many galas do you all go to on the regular?  I want to see fashion, not a bathing suit to start the show and a wedding dress at the end.

That bothered me, too.  Like maybe you could have told them before they went home for three weeks that they expected day and evening wear in each collection.  They know what these kids have been designing all along.  And they're only doing six outfits, so any change is a major change.

What? Tim isn't anywhere on the press-release for All-Stars 5, he's never appeared on it before either... 

I always understood it that Tim wouldn't be caught on the same set with Isaac Mizrahi and that's why he has consistently refused to appear on All Stars.  As long as he doesn't resurrect Under the Gunn....  And I've gotten used to Hannah.  She's not as stilted or distracting as Alyssa Milano.

I hope this season isn't a one-off and they do it with kids again, or just bring the kids right into the Original Recipe, school schedules permitting.

• Love 2

Samantha strikes me as "entitled" and doesn't seem to have put

as much time and effort into her collection as the others have.

Ya know, because she's just so fabulous she doesn't have to!

I get that vibe from her too. I also think that part of it might be just because she comes across as kind of cold, but that might be because she feels that people aren't going to understand her, so she protects herself by being distant and cultivating a special snowflake attitude. I like the idea of her collection, but it's nothing new. Masculine style clothing has been popular for women for decades. There are tons of loose button-up shirts with pockets all over the place in stores already. 

Love Maya and see some potential in her collection. I don't normally like frilly trims at all, but she made it work for the black and white outfit. I like the idea of a floral print, but am not a fan of the one she chose. The judges recommended that she add some colour, which is easily fixed by adding some bright accessories. So she doesn't really need to re-make anything. 

I like prints and have liked a lot of Peytie's work this season. But I sometimes feel like the designers that use prints get away with less creative silhouettes. The print does most of the work for them. I felt like that in the season that Dom won. Her prints were awesome, but her clothing itself was boring.

Peytie's sister seemed so shy & embarrassed. I hope Peytie can help

bring her out of her shell because she's also very talented.

I remembered what Peytie said a few episodes ago about being very shy in middle school. I guess it sort of runs in their family. But as long as being shy doesn't make them unhappy, it's fine. Shyness can help you to become a better listener and more sensitive to other people, so it's not always a bad thing.

Zachary's blue dress was too prom-like. I liked the idea of the other dress, but not the beige fabric. I was glad that Aya pointed out that Zachary doesn't design for young girls and that this is okay. The obsession with everything being "young" on these shows is too much. Women who aren't young need to get dressed too and have a right to look fashionable without looking like they're trying too hard to recapture their 20s. 

I'd love for Maya to win, but I think it's going to be Samantha. I've gotten that vibe since the first episode. I think Aya, Kelly and Christian are drawn to her, not just for her aesthetic, but as someone who they would have hung out with when they were younger. I don't think they related as well to kids who they view as more "conventional". Not to say the other 3 are conventional, just that they appear more so to the judges than Samantha does. I also think that's why Hannah seems to prefer Peytie and Maya. Her clothes are more feminine and conventional and they probably also remind her of kids she would have hung out with when she was younger. 

• Love 4

I'm glad Kelly asked Samantha what her wow factor would be.  I think S has somehow gotten it in her head that her work is implicitly "wow" by virtue of innovation.  Unfortunately, as others have noted, none of masculine-influenced clothing for women, gender-neutral clothing for women, sportswear for women, pockets for women, cargo pants for women or military-inspired design for women are, in and of themselves or in combination with each other, innovative.  I have really liked some of Samantha's designs--in fact, in a way that I think is very apparent in her collection, because I've liked one of Samantha's designs I therefore have liked them all.  Because I primarily dress for comfort, hers are the clothes I would most likely wear of those presented (assuming more practicable, sensitive fabric choices).  But she's showing the limits of what she is willing to do at this point, if not what she can do.  Absolutely, designers have made empires out of a single look--but those single looks are generally strikingly unique, breathtakingly fresh, or appealingly universal.  S isn't hitting that sweet spot, and therefore still needs to compensate with some range.

I don't mind Maya's print.  But I think that Tim got to the heart of things with her--she hasn't yet had the time to deepen her knowledge and sourcing of fabrics.  A few years down the road, she would have found something delicate and abstract, but also special and luxurious, which would accomplish her vision and give heft to balance her use of sheer without needing to compensate with more saturated color.

Zachary.  I have loved watching Zachary.  I loved Seventeen's editor standing up for him and insisting that he doesn't need to design for her target demographic (and by "mature", they're talking about women 30 and older--so much money to be made off those women, as Christian very well knows). There is a version of Zachary's collection that he developed in a parallel universe that would be stunning.  Unfortunately, in this timeline, he shot for Dior and landed in latter-day Marchesa.

Peytie.  I don't know.  I'm not worried about Peytie.  I think she'll be fine in life.  I also think that whatever else happens, if she were to leave a stack of business cards for her sister somewhere strategic at Fashion Week, her sister could easily earn FIDM (or MIT) tuition for both of them over summer vacations before Peytie graduates high school.

Edited by some1105
  • Love 5

I loved all the pieces we saw.  They need fine tuning but that is what the run-through with the judges is all about.  I'm actually really eager to see the completed collections.

I'm putting my money on Zach or Peytie - only because of some of the side comments the judges have made.  I'd be completely fine with any of them winning, though.  Peytie may actually take it.

Edited by Jextella

It was disappointing....after seeing what these teenagers have done all season. Was it a case of having too much time to think about things or not having Tim giving them guidance?  I don't know.

Zach's mom was the best.  But Zach, as talented as he is, has to get over his anxiety.  Samantha is a little too sure of herself.  She shouldn't be. It comes down to Maya and Peytie for me.  I would like to see Peytie win but I think it's going to be Maya.

Oh, and these young designers blew so many of the past 'adult' designers out of the water...not only with their designs but with their attitude.  The series was refreshing.

And lastly, I like Hannah as a host more than Heidi.  I've tired of the 'show more boob'  and make it sexy.  And BTW, it's a breast.  Yeah, I know Hannah is dealing with teenagers but she's just more refreshing than Heidi on many levels.  I have nothing against her but Alyssa is just boring.

Was Maya's eye always doing that sort of drooping thing all season? I didn't think so, and I worried that she was hitting a wall of fatigue. The same thing happens to my eye when I'm completely and utterly exhausted from overworking and a lack of sleep. 

I loved all the parents. They were so excited and proud of their kids. And I too thought at first that Peytie's dad was an older brother. Ha, those girls come from good-looking stock, let me tell ya.

I didn't totally hate Peytie's orange dress. I really liked the color combination. I think it would have worked if the fabric had moved more like she wanted it to. But then that just shows the designers' relative inexperience with fabric. They are young. They'll learn.

I agree that experience will only improve the designers. I was as shocked as Tim when Maya said she didn't know what kind of fabric she had used. There is something to be said for instinct when choosing fabric but it really helps to learn about the different types sp they know what works well for certain things, what is a pain in the ass to work with, etc.

• Love 1

The obsession with everything being "young" on these shows is too much. Women who aren't young need to get dressed too and have a right to look fashionable without looking like they're trying too hard to recapture their 20s. 

It bugs me too - especially on Original Recipe PR.  Heidi is 42, Nina is 50, Tim is 62, MK is 56, and, the baby of the bunch, Zac is 36.  You would think they would realize that not everyone that wears fashionable clothing is under 30.  

And, as some 1105, mentioned, "mature" women tend to have more more money to spend on clothing than "young" women.  

• Love 1

Asking because I know nothing about being a fashion designer...the judges told Maya she needed day looks; Samantha needed an evening piece. Is it b/c these kids are so young, so therefore they need to show they can make anything-from pjs to swimsuits? Aren't there some designers who only do sportswear or only gowns? It seems like the judges are giving these kids busy work to add to the drama. Why does Maya's "warrior" need an outfit for going to the grocery store? Why does Samantha's girl need to go from her day job ( SCUBA diving combat soldier is my guess from the looks shown) to a red carpet event? Not every person has the lifestyle of a Bond Girl.

• Love 2

I like Samantha least as a person but yes I liked her collection the most.  Not really because I could ever wear it, but I thought it was the most innovative and fashion forward.

Menswear and military-esque jackets and cargos are hardly new in fashion.  Seth Aaron did a great deal of that in his winning collection during his season only he did it much better.  Check out ASOS and look at their young womens' jackets and you will see tons of what Samantha is doing.  I was also getting irritated with her attitude and how she had so little finished when she lives right there and didn't have to travel as the other three did!  That said, add me to the list of those disappointed with Peytie's collection.  It seemed all over the place, not Bohemian but just plain awful.  I thought Maya and Zachary's looked the best overall, but I think all of them have tons to do before the finale.  

• Love 1