Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Strays

I can't remember the exact line, but Martha said something like, "I'm almost as bad at goodbyes as I am at hellos." Loved it.

Too bad they couldn't get a real coyote for the show, but I can suspend my disbelief over this. Loved the discovery that Martha had actually put a coyote in her apartment. Did anyone see this coming?

Ben was a fun character. I liked his sunniness, which he probably got from all the fruits and vegetables he farms.

Chip is so pathetic and selfish, but then he redeems himself by helping out Martha.

Once again the highlight for me was Mrs. Baskets. The astronauts, the Reagans, her joke about Chip juggling in space as the first clown astronauts. Everything was hilarious.

• Love 2

This is the first episode where Chip was truly too pathetic.  Your house is a coyote-sty!

I'm glad he realized his conversation was more about him than the coyote.

Loved the irony of the rodeo announcer.  The Lord's Prayer is brought to you by Bank of America - too big to fail....

Mrs. Baskets is still the show's highlight.  We'd be on Mars right now, living, if Ron & Nancy were still in.

• Love 3

I think the episode description was a joke. Samantha the fish was Martha's best friend, it was "murdered" by Boots the coyote. Chip helped her with the Boots situation. I thought the episode was fantastic. It's one of the saddest comedies I've ever seen. It's so laden with pathos and I adore it. That final scene with Chip and Penelope in the pool was gorgeous and heartbreaking. I feel so badly for him. And when his voice was breaking as he yelled at Boots, I just wanted to give him a hug. This series is so strange and I just adore it.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 3

I think the episode description was a joke. Samantha the fish was Martha's best friend, it was "murdered" by Boots the coyote. Chip helped her with the Boots situation. I thought the episode was fantastic.

Ahhh!  I didn't even put that together.  That is awesome.  I really love the name Boots for an animal, any animal.

Agreed!  This episode was fantastic.

Off topic - do you post on Gawker as well?  Your avatar looks familiar.

• Love 1

It took me a second while watching the episode, but I figured it out when Samantha the fish died.

And yes, I do post on Gawker and a lot of their subsidiaries.

Mindymoo??!!  Hope that's ok that I am posting this.  Like a secret identity of a person's other secret identity.

Mindymoo??!!  Hope that's ok that I am posting this.  Like a secret identity of a person's other secret identity.

The one and only reincarnation of Elvis Presley and human sloth! And you're fine. I swear that if I die and my family goes through my internet history, they are going to wonder how on earth I got anything done with all of the posting I did on Gawker/Jezebel/PTV/AVClub.

Edna's Edibles posts on PTV also! I love "meeting" Gawker posters here.

Back on topic: this episode was so amazing. ZG really imbues Baskets with pathos, and Louie Anderson is fantastic!

That's awesome! But yeah, this may be my favorite episode yet. I got my wife to start watching the show last week and she only caught the second half of the episode, and Louie Anderson is what drew her in. She watched from the pilot and is now hooked too. The characters are so well-written and it's just amazing. Yeah, Penelope is a bitch, but she also told Chip at the very beginning that she wasn't in love with him and only was marrying him for a green card. Martha is an absolute delight, though. I loved Chip's "And what mental disease is this?" line when he came into her home after Boots tore it to pieces.

• Love 2
Penelope is a bitch, but she also told Chip at the very beginning that she wasn't in love with him and only was marrying him for a green card.

It's hard for me to feel that bad for Chip when she TOLD him that she was marrying him for a green card and would divorce him once she found someone else when he proposed. It sucks to see him keep chasing after her, but as far as I'm concerned that's on him. Tonight was the first time we saw her be even remotely nice to him so it's not like she's been leading him on. Usually she asks him for money and then tells him to go away.

I loved Penelope's boyfriend and his cheery upbeat manner, whether he was listing all the things he harvests or asking Chip if he was slashing his tires.

Chip's mom is hilarious. I love everything about her, from her Cost Co obsession to her Reagan talk.

Oh, Martha. There was a similar story about a woman who found a stray dog that turned out to be a coyote (with a sadder ending). I laughed so hard when Chip took one look and then told her it was a coyote.

• Love 2

It's hard for me to feel that bad for Chip when she TOLD him that she was marrying him for a green card and would divorce him once she found someone else when he proposed. It sucks to see him keep chasing after her, but as far as I'm concerned that's on him. Tonight was the first time we saw her be even remotely nice to him so it's not like she's been leading him on. Usually she asks him for money and then tells him to go away.

I didn't think she was being nice to him. I thought she was manipulating him so he'd stay around to amuse her and buy her things. 

I didn't think she was being overly nice to him, but this was the first time we saw her not be completely rude. I don't think he really amuses her. I think she just got bored with the farmer and dumped him and it was just a coincidence that Chip decided to show up. Telling him to jump into the pool doesn't really count as being nice, but I guess in comparison to the way we've seen her act with him until now, that was kind of nice? But still not actually nice.

• Love 1

Ha, I knew Boots was going to turn out to be a coyote.  Been there, sort of.

Side story:  I wasn't sure about domesticating a coyote, but I took a tiny coyote pup so she wouldn't spend her whole life chained up in someone's backyard. (I named her Wiley.  Of course.)  She grew and grew--right on into a beautiful full-grown wolf.  Happily, she was sweet-natured and even-tempered.  The only "wild animal" trait she ever exhibited was leaving the warm couch in the middle of winter to go outside and curl up on the ice with her tail over her nose.

• Love 3

I loved Penelope's boyfriend and his cheery upbeat manner, whether he was listing all the things he harvests or asking Chip if he was slashing his tires.

It was probably more obvious to me because I tend to watch a lot of shows with the close captioning on, but did anyone else notice that he listed all those crops in alphabetical order?

Ha, I knew Boots was going to turn out to be a coyote.  Been there, sort of.

Side story:  I wasn't sure about domesticating a coyote, but I took a tiny coyote pup so she wouldn't spend her whole life chained up in someone's backyard. (I named her Wiley.  Of course.)  She grew and grew--right on into a beautiful full-grown wolf.  Happily, she was sweet-natured and even-tempered.  The only "wild animal" trait she ever exhibited was leaving the warm couch in the middle of winter to go outside and curl up on the ice with her tail over her nose.

That. Is. Awesome.  I would do that in a second, but I've heard too many stories about babies that eventually revert to their instincts and rip someone's throat out.  You did God's work.

• Love 1

It was probably more obvious to me because I tend to watch a lot of shows with the close captioning on, but did anyone else notice that he listed all those crops in alphabetical order?

Really? That's hysterical. I hadn't noticed. The boyfriend was really a great character. I kinda wish he'll be back.

• Love 1

That. Is. Awesome.  I would do that in a second, but I've heard too many stories about babies that eventually revert to their instincts and rip someone's throat out.  You did God's work.

Thank you.  Wylie was my good, strong, gentle love her whole life, but yes, yikes.  That woman whose lifework was proving wolves could be domesticated had so much integrity when she finally concluded, after decades:  "No."  Even a pup from the nth generation she'd personally bred and raised would suddenly remember he wasn't a dog, or a pet.

Worth noting that I have the only house in the middle of hundreds of acres, so social encounters are minimal.

Baskets:  I watch with CC, too, and still didn't notice the alphabetization.  Good catch.  The list made me laugh, though, and reminded me of the quirky scene that sold me on the show in the first place, ordering Euro-beverages at the drive-thru.  "Okay, fine!  Then just give me a Schweppes."

• Love 2