Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Wanheda (Part 2)

Tara Ariano

Spat right in her face! I feel like that went WAY better in her head. I should have seen that coming.

Looks like this isn't the end of Vane. 

Murpheys hair game is so on point.

YES to more Monty! Always more Monty. Although, sad lack of Raven this week. 

Oh Bellamy. You mean well, but you need to stop with the Lone Wolf stuff. You've moved past that! 

There is so gonna be friction between this new group of Sky People and our gang. More factions!

• Love 1

And everyone was worried that Clarke would just forgive Lexa. Clarke went feral when she saw Lexa. Lexa is really good at betraying people, that is what will probably get her killed. 

Poor Bellamy's second choice girl, it's a good thing she wasn't there to see Bellamy trying to kill himself to rescue Clarke. I really thought Jasper was going to mess things up again and was screaming at the tv "Why do you keep bringing an obviously messed up kid with you on missions!". But all he did was throw and break stuff and cry. Hopefully that's step in making him more sane. 

They keep talking up the Ice Nation they better be worth it. 

• Love 3

Yes Bellamy stop with the lone wolf stuff. You are not good at it. Things always seem to go awry.

Yes people stop taking Jasper with you. Hopefully this cry/meltdown will start him getting over this.

Yes to more Monty and more back story for him.

Looks like our crew has more problems coming with the Ice Nation and the Farm Station. This season definitely is going to be a civil war in both the grounders and the sky crew.

Please tell me there is an elevator in that tower.

Lexa getting spit on by Clarke was interesting. I was surprised at Clarke's meltdown there. I guess it does show just how intense her feelings are about this whole situation and how much she seemed to be holding back till she finally confronted Lexa. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.

• Love 1

How does Mt. Weather still have power after 90 or so days ?  They blew up the generators at the dam during the attack on Mt. Weather.

How did Clarkie go into that river with a really bad red dreadlock wig -- and come out with her regular blonde hair but with red tinges ?

Since there are no working other cars on the planet, were the Farm Nation people just sitting around waiting for a car to drive by to spring that trap ?  That makes zero sense.  Those trees would have had to have been pre-cut and then pushed over.

Are Bellamy et al back in the TonDc area ?  Because that bunker where Clarkie was being kept had the words of the Star-Spangled Banner painted on the wall.

At least the tall tower from the Intro shows up -- but it looks like it's a pre-Apocalypse building since it looks to be in pretty bad shape.  And wouldn't Clarke have noticed that she had to walk up 50 flights of stairs to meet 'the Queen' ?

• Love 1

Really glad they're moving into Mount Weather because it bugged me they didn't already do that, truce or no truce (considering the Grounders already broke their side of it). So I thought it was more a production decision but no, seems like they were just taking an appropriate amount of time before the writers moved the characters in. 

I'm glad they made the Jasper/Finn comparison, made me realize where they were going with the storyline. Hopeful that he somewhat starts recovering now.

I loved the shot at the end there with Lexa. It drove home how much responsibility is on this teenager's (?) shoulders. I don't know if there's a better show on television right now that really emphasizes the difficulty of being a leader. 

• Love 3

Wow, I thought for sure Clarke was going to kiss Lexa then.  With a Glasgow Kiss I mean.  In fact, I'm not sure why they didn't go with that instead of a spit if only for the A+++ troll they could have pulled with some pre-airing teases to the fandom lol.

The Lexa reveal would have been better if I didn't spot Alycia Debnam-Carey name in the credits, but it was still nice to see her.  Glad that Clarke isn't forgiving her anytime soon though.  Lexa really thought Clarke was going to be more welcoming, huh?  It's hard to get over someone just leaving you and your people to die, Lexa! Can't wait to see there this goes.  Also not surprised that Alycia still manages to be more rememberable in this one scene tonight compared to her entire time on Fear the Walking Dead.

Bellamy man, you should know better then going off half-cocked like that.  I get that you totally have a thing for Clarke, but you are lucky that guy just stabbed your leg.  At least this little incident allowed Monty to step up to the plate.

Michael Beach!  His anti-Grounders stat is totally going to cause problems, right?  Better keep an eye on him, Kane!

Interesting that Mt. Weather is coming back into play, in that occupying it might cause issues between the Ark people and the Grounders.  But not using it does seem like a waste.  Either way, I don't envy Abby.

Jasper is still losing it, but I did like his scene with Octavia.

Jaha and his City of Light stuff continues to be nuts to the point that I don't blame Murphy for just deciding to throw in with Emori, even if he doesn't trust her.  At least she isn't popping pills and talking with women in red dresses!  Plus, she kissed him on the cheek!  Murphy might get lucky!

Abby stepping down and Kane stepping up as Chancellor seems inevitable at this point, maybe Mt. Weather will become THE medical facility of 100 land but to work it has to be completely neutral.

Bellamy/Clarke is where my shipping heart rests, I don't care what interaction they have I'm here for all of it but it was stupid of him to go off and try to rescue her alone. I did laugh a bit because the trailer caused a lot of speculation about Bellamy going undercover in the Ice Nation and all that actually happened was he needed to cross a field. 

The reunion of Lexa and Clarke is off to a rocky start but I think Clarke's practicality is going to get the best of her and she'll end up working with Lexa despite her personal feelings. Then who knows what will happen.

• Love 3

How does Mt. Weather still have power after 90 or so days ? They blew up the generators at the dam during the attack on Mt. Weather.

If I remember correctly from last season, Clarke knew that the Mountain Men depended on the power of the dam for life support, so permanently destroying the generators would be tantamount to genocide. The charges were set in such a way that they would disable to generators without doing irreversible damage to them.

The Sky People must have fixed them since.

How did Clarkie go into that river with a really bad red dreadlock wig -- and come out with her regular blonde hair but with red tinges ?

One of the showrunners twitted that Clarke dyed her hair with berries. Hardly the most resistant dye. I hve no troubl believe that a good wash would be all it took to remove it.

Since there are no working other cars on the planet, were the Farm Nation people just sitting around waiting for a car to drive by to spring that trap ? That makes zero sense. Those trees would have had to have been pre-cut and then pushed over.

That kind of trap also works for horse drawn wagons or a cavalry column.

At least the tall tower from the Intro shows up -- but it looks like it's a pre-Apocalypse building since it looks to be in pretty bad shape. And wouldn't Clarke have noticed that she had to walk up 50 flights of stairs to meet 'the Queen' ?

The climb wouldn’t have told her anything. Clarke has never been to Polis, and I don’t remember Lexa describing the city last season. How would Clarke know there was a big ass tower in the middle of it?

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 2
Are Bellamy et al back in the TonDc area ?  Because that bunker where Clarkie was being kept had the words of the Star-Spangled Banner painted on the wall.

At least the tall tower from the Intro shows up -- but it looks like it's a pre-Apocalypse building since it looks to be in pretty bad shape.  And wouldn't Clarke have noticed that she had to walk up 50 flights of stairs to meet 'the Queen' ?

I'm curious about this as well. At first I thought they might be in a zoo enclosure, but the writing on the wall made me think they were at Fort McHenry in Baltimore. I want to know what that tower at the end was supposed to be, because it looked more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa than anything. My first thought was the Phoenix Shot Tower in Baltimore, but how is that the only structure standing?

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 1

I'm curious about this as well. At first I thought they might be in a zoo enclosure, but the writing on the wall made me think they were at Fort McHenry in Baltimore. I want to know what that tower at the end was supposed to be, because it looked more like the Leaning Tower of Pisa than anything. My first thought was the Phoenix Shot Tower in Baltimore, but how is that the only structure standing?

Wow, I think you pretty much nailed the location because I just came across this from one of the producers:

http://aaronginsburg.tumblr.com/post/138252869871/the-100-s3-behind-the-scenes-in-case-it-wasnt

Good eye!

Wow, I think you pretty much nailed the location because I just came across this from one of the producers:

http://aaronginsburg.tumblr.com/post/138252869871/the-100-s3-behind-the-scenes-in-case-it-wasnt

Good eye!

Cool! I'm from the Baltimore/Washington area, and although the show doesn't call out landmarks very often, it's fun to look out for Easter eggs.  Here's a proposed transit map for 2025 to put some of the show's map into context.

So Emori is an unapologetic murderous thief? Look no further Murphy, you found a soulmate, what´s up with your moralizing.

Lexa is very fluid with her alliances and deals.

Speaking of fluids.....nice foreplay for hate sex Clarke!

They are teasing Bellarke shippers quite a lot. I would be carefull with that if they dont plan to deliver.

Edited by GaiusB
  • Love 3

These episode fly by and finish so quick! Such great tv. 

I loved Jasper's pointing out to Abby that Clarke killed Finn too, reminding Abby that he's in grief because of Clarke's choices. 

Monty's family and back story! Yay. His mom seems like she was hiding more than just his dad was a hero though. Everytime I heard Pike, I couldn't help remember he's a head of a biker gang on Sons of Anarchy. 

Oh Bellamy, stop being stupid over Clarke. 

Run Murphy run! As far as you can from the crazy!

• Love 1

So Skynet wants to populate the first Matrix?

Hah that was my exact thought, but it's not clear to me what she plans to do with the human meat while they're in The City of Light, or does she just want to finish what she started by killing them all via electronically induced PAX? I like how Jaha is shocked that she can make him see dead people, and are they always in The City of Light are can people under her influence truly toggle themselves out by waking up to actual reality? It's silly and derivative yet I'm kind of enjoying it anyway.

I really enjoyed this episode and how the two parter gave us some nice character moments for Monty, great world building with, and set the table for the rest of the season, I mean do we think a coalition might break? Hee.

Nyko! I love Nyko, and he proved his worth by reminding Lincoln their people are WRONG and that they could convince them that places are not evil, only people. I mean I don't think people are evil either, but baby steps Grounder buddy! I hope moving into Mt. Weather means it will be like Switzerland in the middle of all the fighting that is surely to come. 

My Bellarke heart loved how distraught he was at losing Clarke (she like wise willing to sacrifice herself for him), they've relied on each other for balance for so long, he's not sure what to do without her.

I do like Eliza Clarke but I thought her flip out at Lexa was laughable. The only bit that worked was her promise to kill Lexa, I certainly hope any war results in Lexa's death via karmic bitch smack. I am intrigued by how/why exactly Prince Roan gives a shit if Lexa un-banishes him, and he seems as slow on the uptake about his people's inherently betraying ways as Skaikru. I kind of like the idea he's loyal to the greater Grounder coalition than he is to his own mother, she must be a real piece of work. 

• Love 4

Lexa got some nerve asking Clarke for help, though on the other hand it again showcases her very pragmatic view of leading that boils down to "if she thinks it is the best action for her people, she will strive towards it no matter personal feelings of any of the parties involved".

That is sure to backfire in some manner I think, because people are emotional, and won't always see  things in such a manner. They will let feelings make decisions for them. Like Bellamy did in this episode, which costs them the opportunity to catch up with Roan and get Clarke before he reached Polis. I had hoped Lexa would had learned a bit more from Clarke and not to underestimate that type of influence, but maybe she didn't. However I do get with Clarke why she believes going by the path of pragmatism could work. Clarke can be very emotional, but she is also capable of taking 20 steps back and look at it from a more detached bigger view.

Poor Roan. You can feel he wants to go home, although like there is no way Lexa will be such an idiot that she would allow the Prince of the Ice Nation to just skip back home, and be able to take his place next to the Ice Queen while an ice nation army is invading Trikru lands and marching towards the capital. That would be so idiotic on so many tactical levels, but still. Had to suck hard for him and it looks like he will be really pissed off. I do wonder what he did to become banished to begin with though.

The directing/camera work and editing was so bad this episode at certain points. There were some really beautiful shots but it felt a bit like amateur hour with so much dramatic zooming happening. Like the triple zoom on Roan's Ice Nation face scar. And it even had accompanied "dum dum dummm" music. Like what even.

I truly cant summon any fucks to give about Jasper. I understand what he is going through, and it makes sense, but the character is just blaaaaaaaaaaaaah to me.

Making use of MW is definitely going to bite everyone in the ass, and it is so obvious Pike will come and fuck things up. Some reviewers have referred to him as the Donald Trump of the 100, and I am definitely feeling that with him barking at Nyilah and Indra to speak English (and that is after the girl took quite the damn beating), and the whole all Grounders are the same. Also Indra? I am so loving her this season. Adina just has such a presence and exudes this quiet (slightly deadly) confidence.

I am getting an idea of where they are going with the City of Light story line but still? I just don't really care for it. I can however see the potential that in a world focused on survival with so much fighting, war, pain and loss, the City of Light offers a sharp contrast. It can easily be looked upon as a paradise where the fighting survivors can seek peace. But it comes at the cost at what makes them arguably human - the ability to feel all those emotions particularly the "bad ones" like angry, pain, fear. I hope the show manages to fully play around with this sorta themes properly and manages to execute it well.

Also so happy to see Monty get a bit more screen time, particularly screen time not tethered to Jasper. Also the fact his mom is part of Pike's group that is surely going to cause trouble, give me hopes that Monty might finally be a key part of a more meaty role.

Interesting tidbit. Emori mentioned having other tech buyers. Guessing Emerson together with the Ice Queen? It would explain why she seems so emboldened right now to attack. I am also curious just where Camp Jaha/Arkadia lies in relation to Ice Nation territory and Polis. As in will that huge ass army be coming close by Arkadia? Also MW still got missiles left, so if they come close by who knows if someone will be trigger happy.

Last thing. Eliza? She has been absolutely damn killing it so far. In Part 1 the look on her face when Nyilah was cleaning her wound was heart breaking, but in this episode when the removed the hood? Woah. A+

• Love 4

Holy shit that was awesome! I totally dug the whole episode. Clarke's reaction to Lexa was EXACTLY the way I had pictured it! And, hell, everything else was perfection.

- I had been waiting for Diana's people to be revealed as alive since season 1, and it finally happened. Yay! Wonder if she's alive? But I loved their story (although I bet that Monty's father didn't die the way Pike told) and the fact that the show remembers its history while changing so much.

- Bellamy! And Bellamy/Clarke! I'm not a shipper, but I love their relationship and I felt so many things when Bellamy risked everything to free Clarke and she was begging Roan to spare him. I mean, I understand people who ship Clexa - Lexa is a great character and there are very few f/f relationships on TV that have real depth, but Bellamy/Clarke bond is something you can't outdo. After s2 finale, they are really the heart of the show for me. Romance or not, they're it, and I love that the show acknowledged it.

- And speaking about Roan, I dig him too. I know the actor's a regular on another show, but it still felt like he was set up to recur. And I want him too. Not just for shallow reasons, mind you!

- I really liked the Jasper/Octavia scene. It felt like friendship, actual friendship between people who were through so much awful stuff. Heartwarming.

The Jaha plot was the weakest this episode. I hope Murphy rejoins the others soon and that story gains some traction.

Interesting tidbit. Emori mentioned having other tech buyers.

Brotherhood of Steel! Ahem. But seriously, they would fit right in.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 3

I'm from md and my first thought that Polis was in Baltimore because of the tower. I was originally looking for Annapolis landmarks but didn't see any, but I suppose after a century of no information citoes could get mixed up.

I thought Bellamy pulling a Finn, acting irrationally to the point of risking their truce with the Ice Nation which would get everyone at Arcadia killed, was so out of character for someone who's spent the last season and a half learning patience and to keep a clear head. 

I love Monty. I've never not loved Monty, but every time I see him, I end up loving him more. I was glad that something good had finally happened to him until the reveal about his dad ruined his short-lasting happiness.

No Raven this episode? 

Conflict between Kane and Abby is coming after her decision to use the Mountain as their base? Or was it only as a hospital?

Lexa's such a bitch. Dishonor comes easily to her.

I have to be the only person who does not give a fig about Clarke's feelings about Lexa betraying her because of the obvious parallel between this and Clarke's betrayal of Octavia. Clarke trusted Lexa, a person she'd come to care for on some level, and was betrayed because Lexa prioritized her people's safety over Clarke. She felt the right thing to do was to put her people before the Grounders (and I hated her for it).

Likewise, Octavia trusted Clarke, a person she'd befriended, someone she cared about and trusted, and Clarke left her to die at TonDC because Clarke felt the safety of Bellamy and the kids inside the Mountain was worth more than Octavia's life and those of the others with her. She felt she was doing the right thing. And when Octavia called her out on it, expressed hurt and anger that her friend had left her to die, Clarke tried to justify her actions, never once apologized to her, and then expected her to suck it up, keep it a secret and continue fighting by her side. Which Octavia did because she could see the bigger picture, even though it must have hurt like hell. 

So no, I don't feel sorry for Clarke one bit. If that betrayal hadn't affected the others as well, I would have been all for it. Let Clarke get a taste of her own medicine.

• Love 1
-After s2 finale, they are really the heart of the show for me. Romance or not, they're it, and I love that the show acknowledged it.

Yes, romance or not, I love the bond between them.  I love it when they share scenes, and I hope there will be a lot of them this season.

This new guy, Pike, seems pretty dangerous to me.  His hatred of all grounders is worrisome.  I don't see the "kids"  (as it were) being okay with that.  No group of people are all bad or all good.

As for Jaha.  I feel like the character was played out after season one, and I HATE this whole AI/city of light thing.  Bleh.

...As I watched The Prince remove his shirt and cauterize his wound ALL that I could think of was...Yaaas(❗). Wow, the people on this show certainly are 'fit, right 'n' tight'.

Sorry, sorry. I digress. (clearing throat) Carry on...back to da show...

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 3

So Skynet wants to populate the first Matrix? I liked the rest of the episode, but the City Of Light stuff isn't working for me.

You 'musta' read my mind !

Following the comments about populating The City of Light with survivors, I gasped, " Oh, my gosh, The B!#ch wants to Matrix them!" And, following that comment, It appeared to me that Jaha looked askance at 'her'. Did anyone else notice that?

Wow, Lexa looks a lot cleaner when she's not out in the field. I miss the war paint.

I know last week I said I was happy about Abby and Kane, but this week I had a better idea. What if Kane gets together with Indra? Wouldn't that be awesome? This is my new stealth ship (sorry, Abby).

Last season, I started to actually listen to the Grounder language and now I can't not listen to it, and it's so dumb. I understand the idea -- like, this is how English would evolve over many decades after the end of mass communication and so on, but I laugh whenever they say anything.

One of the showrunners twitted that Clarke dyed her hair with berries. Hardly the most resistant dye. I hve no troubl believe that a good wash would be all it took to remove it.

I liked the way Clarke's DIY red hair looked, but all I've been able to think about it how gross it must have been to touch. And, if the colour came out that easily, it would be on her clothes and her hands and her face. Like, a total nightmare. All things considered, if I were in her place, I'd just hand myself over to the Ice Nation and not try to wear a disguise.

I thought Roan was an interesting addition to the cast; and not just because residual love for the character over on Black Sails. I'm guessing he'll be  a potential ally of Clarke in Polis (and if he'll be a momentary love interest too I wouldn't mind).

I think I might be the only non Clarke/Bellamy shipper in the world. I love them as friends and co-leaders and I entertained the idea in the first season, but now I think it'll be too easy, if that makes sense? In a way, I see Clarke ending up alone - by choice, by the weight of her past actions. Putting the good of many before the happiness of one is an interesting story to me, and as we saw with Bellamy and Jasper (and Finn before them) emotional responses leads to half-cocked/insanely bad decisions that might have repecussions far into the future. Or maybe I'm just tired of every love story being that of romantic love.

I'm really looking forward to the tension Pike will bring to the camp. The story of how Grounders killed their children was horrifying and it makes sense that Pike's all "The only good Grounder is a dead Grounder", but it'll start an interesting conflict between Abby and Kane, since Abby is leaning far more to the Pike side of things, while Kane actually sees the grander perspective. Kane for president!

• Love 1

The story of how Grounders killed their children was horrifying and it makes sense that Pike's all "The only good Grounder is a dead Grounder"

As someone who rolls her eyes at the Grounder's aggro bullshit, and persecution complex, I am sympathetic to both Bellamy's wariness/distrust, and Pike's outright hatred, but I feel like if his only experience is with Ice Nation grounders, and his ACTUAL people/allies in Arkadia are telling him not all Grounder's are the same he should damn well LISTEN. I KNOW people would rather get eaten by wild bears than cooperate, but I fear Pike (and Ice Nation) are going to be the new Mountain Men, a leader of irrational assholes who Skaikru/Grounders can unite against.

• Love 1

The same day I watched this episode, I had just had a talk with a co-worker about the WWII concentration camp that is being turned into a spa. So having the Arkers starting to make more use of MW, and probably later on fully taking it over? Made me think of that. On one hand I understand why MW is such a good location. It is very defensible. Resource-wise sure they can transport almost all of it to camp Jaha but some facilities (e..g machines) would require a lot of work to move and possibly creating of various things so they can run effectively.

But for the Grounders I get why they would be pissed and fearful as well. It has only been a few months and MW terrorized them for generations. From their view now these people that have been given land and allowed to take resources to build on their territories might go and say, "naaah that's not enough, we will settle in the mountain as well". Arkers seem way closer to MW people than other Grounders in their eyes probably, and there gotta be lingering fear of them making use of MW tech to kill and take over. Also it would probably come across as hugely disrespectful to all the people that were tortured and killed inside the walls of Mount Weather.

I am not sure if I am up for having another round of Arkers vs. Grounders again. Particularly if it continues being fueled by people just being stupid.

I thought Bellamy pulling a Finn, acting irrationally to the point of risking their truce with the Ice Nation which would get everyone at Arcadia killed, was so out of character for someone who's spent the last season and a half learning patience and to keep a clear head.

Yeah it felt a bit too over the top and basically made me think it was more fan service to the romantic Bellarke shippers. Particularly with Clarke now in Lexa's proximity in Polis. I just hope the show refrains from going further down this road. I know there been a really heavy push on JR to at least make Bellamy shown as having romantic feelings for Clarke this season, but I really hope JR says no to fan pandering. I also feel a bit robbed in regards to Bellamy and Clarke. In the sense that I expected Bellamy to hold some anger towards her for the whole TonDC missile and not warning Octavia and lying to him about it. Like I get concern comes first, but from how the whole thing was showed, I am guessing we will see zero consequence/out come from this because they wanted the "Bellamy so concerned that he acts super rash despite it is a regression of his character."  I reckon we will get more rash and super concerned Bellamy that does dumb stuff, even if he should know better by now and it seems somewhat OOC.

I know Bob himself said Bellamy is an enforcer and not a leader (yet), and he is right now learning from Kane

and Pike

. I find it is interesting seeing the different leadership methods and ways of leading presented by so many characters. Bellamy has a tendency to be impulsive, short sighted and unable to look at the bigger picture or give it any proper consideration. But this episode took it a bit too far. On the other hand Bellamy is very good at getting specific tasks done, charismatic, driven and good at working on a smaller scale. I am fearful they will make Bellamy do more stupid shit because he is OTT concerned for Clarke, and it will be the catalyst for the new Grounder vs Arkers divide. The writers might think they are being good to fans - Bellarke fans specifically - by doing this story line. Like they think people won't mind if it can be taken as he does it for Clarke since a significant portion of the fanbase are Bellarke shippers, but I think it does his character a major disservice. I have read others say that Bellamy would go to same lengths for other of his friends, but it was still a bit too dumb. Why didn't he suggest to the others that they dress up as Ice Nation warriors and cross? That would make more sense especially as Pike was the best tracker in the group and Bellamy knew someone was holding Clarke captive so the more the better.

I loved Murphy in this episode. Super dangerous nuclear backpack and what does he do? Throws it into the water. The infinity symbol on it makes me very certain that ALIE is behind a lot of Grounder believes and it wouldn't surprised me if she has been guiding them or moving them around like chess pieces. In the trailer for the season

we see this sort of room of worship with Titus and what I think is Murphy. On the walls there are an infinity sign and that is surely no coincidence.

Missed Raven in this episode and I enjoyed Roan. I chuckled at the moment where Roan was gesturing for Clarke to be quiet and she just looks at him like he is an idiot and then starts to make noise. I felt they telegraphed a bit too much that it was Lexa that Roan was bringing Clarke to, but it was a decent enough confrontation in the end.

I am glad the show is finally taking us to Polis. It took a while and it will be very interesting to see more from the Grounder side of things. So far we got mostly Arkers and Mountain Men insights, which helps makes us more empathetic or at least increases understanding of their mindsets. So it is good that we will start getting that deeper understanding of this faction now.

• Love 2

I'm from md and my first thought that Polis was in Baltimore because of the tower. I was originally looking for Annapolis landmarks but didn't see any, but I suppose after a century of no information citoes could get mixed up.

I was convinced it was Baltimore based on the Washington/Baltimore rail map and the star spangled banner written on the wall (although it's still possible that Ice Prince captured Clarke around Baltimore and they were heading toward Annapolis) but now I'm convinced it's Annapolis and the tower is a stripped down version of the Maryland State House. In episode 3 you even see the crumbled columns at the base.

I was convinced it was Baltimore based on the Washington/Baltimore rail map and the star spangled banner written on the wall (although it's still possible that Ice Prince captured Clarke around Baltimore and they were heading toward Annapolis) but now I'm convinced it's Annapolis and the tower is a stripped down version of the Maryland State House. In episode 3 you even see the crumbled columns at the base.

Except that the Polis Tower appears to be about 50 stories tall.  So unless they added a few more floors to the Maryland State house in the next 36 or so years ....... since the nuclear war apparently happened in 2052.

ETA:  Because of math.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I was going more off the similarities between the weather vane and the torch, but you raise a good point about the height, because I don't think there's a comparable building in the Baltimore/Washington/Annapolis region. I think the tallest building in Maryland is 40 stories, and it looks nothing like the tower. Anything with a passing resemblance tops out at 250ft, which suggests that the tower doesn't yet exist, which is kind of boring, but is probably not something the average viewer cares about, nor does it effect the story outside of the handful of people who watch and think, "I know where they are!"

The Maryland State House would have been an interesting connection, as it's the oldest capitol in the country, which seems significant in 100 land, but based off additional landmarks in episode 3, a suburb around Baltimore seems more likely. 

So Skynet wants to populate the first Matrix? I liked the rest of the episode, but the City Of Light stuff isn't working for me.

Agreed. It was among the weaker links of Battlestar Galactica, and it's not really working here either.

And can anyone explain the Roan situation to me? He's the prince of the Ice Nation, but he's somehow banished from Trikru? How is he connected to Trikru at all, in order to be banished by them? Because I assume, in order for Lexa to have any ability to un-banish him, she or her people would have had to be the ones to banish him in the first place. So yeah. Unless I've missed something, I'm really not sure how that all fits together.

• Love 1

Poor Bellamy's second choice girl, it's a good thing she wasn't there to see Bellamy trying to kill himself to rescue Clarke.

Who? Oh, that's right. Bellamy's "appeared out of nowhere" girlfriend.

Yes, romance or not, I love the bond between them.  I love it when they share scenes, and I hope there will be a lot of them this season.

I agree. I am actually a Bellarke shipper (that's the weirdest ship name ever btw). But more in a fan fiction kind of way than in a real way. Like, I don't think the show has established them as a romantic couple and it'd be narratively inconsistent for them to hook up at the moment.

But regardless of my secret head canon, I also see their relationship as being the core of the show. They've both said that they need each other and I think that's true. She is the Commander he needs but he is the 2IC she needs. Without her, he's a Sargeant in need of a Captain and without him she's a leader with nothing to stand on.

I guess they're separating them deliberately to explore their characters without the other. But I do miss them together.

Jaha annoys the crap out of me and now that he's joined the cult of the AI he's reminding me of some other character I can't put my finger on.   It all feels very Been There Done That.

High points: Clarke confronts Lexa.    And no musical interludes.

(edited)

Jaha annoys the crap out of me and now that he's joined the cult of the AI he's reminding me of some other character I can't put my finger on.   It all feels very Been There Done That.

Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica?  There's the AI Woman in Red and everything.  I know some viewers are excited by the AI plot, but to me, it feels pretty much retrodden ground as well.  I was much more interested in Grounder politics, or hell, even the potential for a more interesting Arkadia plot post-Pike than this current AI storyline.

Edited by wevel
  • Love 1

It's been a while since I've seen BSG. I really only fawned over it during its original run and lost some love for it after seeing where it was heading. I clearly remember Baltar and Caprica six, so that visual 'homage' can't be ignored. I'm wondering if the red dress was really necessary in this instance as it kind of detracts from originality even more so when you use <i>such<\i> a similar visual. I know they were also alluding to Alice in Wonderland as well, but I've never read that book. I've heard some people speak of The Red Queen, so I guess that's also may have been why they went with that visual?! Would it really undermine anything if your AI rocked an Emerald green dress?!

The 13th Clan (Tribe) is also from BSG (and Mormonism).

(edited)

Baltar added a much needed element of levity, though. The "No more Mr. Nice Gaius" line still makes me laugh. I wish The 100 had copied that too because it can certainly use some more humour.

The conflict of the two AIs, one of which almost wiped humanity with nuclear weapons, is also rather reminiscent of BSG.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
(edited)

Would it really undermine anything if your AI rocked an Emerald green dress?!

lol, I guess red just must win as the color of morally ambiguous televisual females ...

The 13th Clan (Tribe) is also from BSG (and Mormonism).

Yes, as well as the element of traditional myths reflecting historical events (although, to be fair, that's not just a BSG narrative thread). 

Baltar added a much needed element of levity, though. The "No more Mr. Nice Gaius" line still makes me laugh. I wish The 100 had copied that too because it can certainly use some more humour.

Agreed.  And Baltar, if I remember correctly, was less of a blind follower, and with a more ambivalent relationship with 6 (though I could've done without the cliched sexual part), it was more interesting overall.  One reason the AI plot on The 100 falls flat for me is that there's been nothing unpredictable about Jaha's actions since he became a convert - it's basically: how can I get more converts?  How can I fulfill ALIE's wishes?  Which is maybe not unrealistic, but also not very compelling.

Edited by wevel

Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica?  There's the AI Woman in Red and everything.  I know some viewers are excited by the AI plot, but to me, it feels pretty much retrodden ground as well.  I was much more interested in Grounder politics, or hell, even the potential for a more interesting Arkadia plot post-Pike than this current AI storyline.

I hadn't thought of Baltar but now that you mention it the comparison seems undeniable.   I don't like the AI plot at all.  Plus it begs disbelief to accept that Jaha would not only survive his descent from the Ark, but land his unguided missile ship within walking distance from Clarke's outpost AND the place where the apocalypse began.   Oh, I know, it's his "destiny."  Groan.

I'm surprised the show hasn't taken heat from diversity advocates for making the mature male African-American leader the one to go cuckoo and become obsessed with/addicted to, (or even enslaved to) a white AI (not to mention feeding kids to giant sea lampreys).  I know there have been bad Caucasian leaders too (Marcus, Cage, Lexa) but their bad decisions sprang from selfishness, cruelty, etc. -- not because they had "lost it."

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica ... why does this show squander Juliani Alessandro (Felix Gaeta)?   Is his sole function to remind us of BSG and that's it?  It's crazy that he's so under-utilized, especially in a show where the male lead (Bellamy) is such a bad actor.   Speaking of him, I really don't like Bellamy's Arrow-ish voice-over at the beginning of each episode.   I've only seen the first two episodes this season, so I'm hoping it goes away.

And what's with Paige Turco's cheekbones this season?   They look like a feat of engineering.

I'm surprised the show hasn't taken heat from diversity advocates for making the mature male African-American leader the one to go cuckoo and become obsessed with/addicted to, (or even enslaved to) a white AI (not to mention feeding kids to giant sea lampreys)...

...especially in a show where the male lead (Bellamy) is such a bad actor.   Speaking of him, I really don't like Bellamy's Arrow-ish voice-over at the beginning of each episode.   I've only seen the first two episodes this season, so I'm hoping it goes away.

Actually, I have read quite a few posts where Jaha <i> and<\i> Pike were single out for being POC villains--pushing drugs and being xenophobic respectively. As you've pointed out though, there are all kinds of villains on the show.

I, too, am not really all that amazed by the acting for Bellamy. I just don't see it as complex and 'layered' as everyone else seems to think it is. You'll be happy to know they ditch the voice-over a few episodes in. It grated for me too. I'm not a fan of the Bellamy voice either, especially since it is an affected voice for the show. Someone over on reddit said it sounded like Neo and that totally clicked for me.

• Love 1