Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: A.W.O.L.

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Random observation: After Diggle got shot and they were all in the lair and getting ready to go their own ways, Thea said she was going to go back to the crime scene for any leftover evidence. Since when did Thea get CSI training?!?! I mean, I've heard her say this before but the last time she was with Digg and as former special forces, I figured he got a bit of training that includes searching for evidence. I doubt that was part of her training with Malcolm in Corto Maltese. With Roy, he was always hitting the streets, but since he was a street kid with actual connections, etc., that made sense. This for Thea is kinda dumb.

• Love 5

I doubt that was part of her training with Malcolm in Corto Maltese. With Roy, he was always hitting the streets, but since he was a street kid with actual connections, etc., that made sense. This for Thea is kinda dumb.

Along with blood lust, she acquired CSI skills in the pit.

• Love 9

I think chronologically this episode might have taken place prior to LoT so that Laurel understands that time travel is possible. And thus isn't blown away by the idea.

It's sad that I absolutely didn't make this connection until you said it. Probably right, but FAIL bc time lines and all I heard when laurel encouraged sara to go was "yisssssss, get off my show superior canary" lol

• Love 1

Not gonna lie - a little anvil fell to the floor in my apartment during the O/L scene. I agree with the above review - the scene was going along nicely (I had no Laurel complaints!) but bringing up time travel seemed completely out of place. Especially since there are a hundred other reasons that Oliver could blame himself for DD's attack.

Yesterday's Flash was all about the timeline correcting itself, and there was a whole lot of talk about how you can't change DEATH with time travel. Now Arrow also randomly goes with time travel as motivation for Oliver blaming himself [LOLOLOLOLOL NEVER CHANGE, BUDDY].

Kreisberg mentioned in an interview after the crossover that because Barry cheated their deaths, the timeline would keep trying to rearrange itself, but I didn't think it would be this on the nose. So maybe they will have different people almost-dying on Arrow from now on, until the one death that sticks.

• Love 3

Oliver revealing Barry's time travel to talk about his concern just felt bizarre. I would have expected his possible guilt to be this big emotional moment and it was tossed out so casually and then swept under the rug.

Honestly the time travel seems so disconnected from Arrow that I don't really consider it when I think of what's going on this season, so it was a good piece of character work to have Oliver say that he was feeling guilty/scared that this was how the timeline was righting itself. (Might have made more sense to include that last week, though, when his actions were way more baffling.) But at the same time, I was like, "Uh, Oliver, should you really be telling people about that???" So I don't know how they could get around it, because he'd basically have to call Barry to have that conversation without the iffy-ness. But maybe they could have just...made a really strong reference to it but had Oliver talk around it when actually talking to Laurel. Like, show it in the Previouslies and then have him start to say something about it, but then just generalize about cheating death or something. I don't know. I had no problem with that conversation being with Laurel though. (Except, yeah, she totally would blackmail Barry into doing that for her if the need arose in the future. J/K except not.)

• Love 3

Random observation: After Diggle got shot and they were all in the lair and getting ready to go their own ways, Thea said she was going to go back to the crime scene for any leftover evidence. Since when did Thea get CSI training?!?! I mean, I've heard her say this before but the last time she was with Digg and as former special forces, I figured he got a bit of training that includes searching for evidence. I doubt that was part of her training with Malcolm in Corto Maltese. With Roy, he was always hitting the streets, but since he was a street kid with actual connections, etc., that made sense. This for Thea is kinda dumb.

We have 5ish months unaccounted for. Diggle could've taught Thea a thing or two during it. 

• Love 4

Yesterday's Flash was all about the timeline correcting itself, and there was a whole lot of talk about how you can't change DEATH with time travel. Now Arrow also randomly goes with time travel as motivation for Oliver blaming himself [LOLOLOLOLOL NEVER CHANGE, BUDDY].

Kreisberg mentioned in an interview after the crossover that because Barry cheated their deaths, the timeline would keep trying to rearrange itself, but I didn't think it would be this on the nose. So maybe they will have different people almost-dying on Arrow from now on, until the one death that sticks.

1 - I didn't even know that topic was brought up on The Flash last night because that's how much I pay attention now when I watch. (What happened, Flash, you used to be fun?)

2 - They've got Tony Todd in the CW family now (even if it's just his voice). Let's go full on Final Destination! Bring on Devon Sawa for a cameo (CW Nikita connection.) Let's do this! 

• Love 1

As a long-time sci fi watcher, I find this "The timeline wants to reassert itself" UNBELIEVABLY silly. Time is not sentient. It's not like "Hey, aholes, how dare you mess with my plan!" I mean, make it fate or something, but time ain't got time for that silliness.

Also, in that case they should all die, except Barry. So it either reasserts itself or it doesn't. 

• Love 8

1 - I didn't even know that topic was brought up on The Flash last night because that's how much I pay attention now when I watch. (What happened, Flash, you used to be fun?)

2 - They've got Tony Todd in the CW family now (even if it's just his voice). Let's go full on Final Destination! Bring on Devon Sawa for a cameo (CW Nikita connection.) Let's do this! 

Devon Sawa was weirdly AWESOME in Idle Hands. 

• Love 1

Honestly the time travel seems so disconnected from Arrow that I don't really consider it when I think of what's going on this season, so it was a good piece of character work to have Oliver say that he was feeling guilty/scared that this was how the timeline was righting itself. (Might have made more sense to include that last week, though, when his actions were way more baffling.) But at the same time, I was like, "Uh, Oliver, should you really be telling people about that???" So I don't know how they could get around it, because he'd basically have to call Barry to have that conversation without the iffy-ness. But maybe they could have just...made a really strong reference to it but had Oliver talk around it when actually talking to Laurel. Like, show it in the Previouslies and then have him start to say something about it, but then just generalize about cheating death or something. I don't know. I had no problem with that conversation being with Laurel though. (Except, yeah, she totally would blackmail Barry into doing that for her if the need arose in the future. J/K except not.)

I agree it would have been better to talk around it. I honestly don't know how you talk around time travel so that would have been interesting. What is Laurel supposed to do with this information anyway? Does she talk about or does she assume that every else already knows? It really didn't leave an opening for another conversation either so I was really at a loss watching the scene.

Also, crashing guilt over changing time that could have inadvertently lead to the permeant paralysis of the love of your life. Kind of a conversation that should carry some weight and it was just kind of…ok? 

• Love 9

Final Destination: Star City

• Love 8

You know, I started to bitch about the code name but the more I thought about it the more I was okay with it. 

Anyways, this episode was really great. I enjoyed The Diggle's storyline as well as Felicity's storyline. DR and EBR killed it. It also helped their scene partners were also bringing it. 

Yeah, my biggest complaints were always that MG would be recycling and that it didn't really roll off the tongue but the basic idea behind the actual term has never been a problem for me. 

• Love 3

If Curtis was the one who dropped Felicity off at the lair (which is at Oliver's campaign HQ) in the middle of the night, surely he'll figure out who the is Arrow now? He's supposed to be crazy smart!

Although saying that, he did say Oliver's jaw's not right and that jaw is so damn right it's not even funny! 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

Yeah, my biggest complaints were always that MG would be recycling and that it didn't really roll off the tongue but the basic idea behind the actual term has never been a problem for me. 

I think most people are having problem with Overwatch because of it's association with MG. The term itself is fine. 

• Love 10

Oooooh they  could morph to OW...L like NightOwl or something.

Although saying that, he did say Oliver's jaw's not right and that jaw is so damn right it's not even funny!

I think he knows and he's just lying about it.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

Final Destination: Star City

Someone call Brendan Fehr, he can be the killer.

• Love 1

The other problem with Overwatch is that it was presented with no explanation and has no significance to the show/characters as a word. (I mean, I know someone said it once--in reference to Dig, right?) So Felicity's overjoyed reaction was a little confusing, because as far as we know, that word is no more "perfect" for her than any other. I preferred Hotwheels, myself, tbh. ;)

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 4

Oliver should not be allowed to talk about personal fashion choices. There was a time when he shaved. The horrors. 

Felicity was super blonde and pink in the goth reveal scene with Oliver. I was amused.

• Love 13

Oliver should not be allowed to talk about personal fashion choices. There was a time when he shaved. The horrors. 

Felicity was super blonde and pink in the goth reveal scene with Oliver. I was amused.

Oliver is such a dork and Felicity is SO adorable

tumblr_o1n7irMR0D1tmk09wo1_250.giftumblr_o1n7irMR0D1tmk09wo2_250.gif

tumblr_o1n7irMR0D1tmk09wo4_250.giftumblr_o1n7irMR0D1tmk09wo3_250.gif

Bonus

tumblr_o1n4tjk8sP1rq49qyo4_250.gif

• Love 19

Methinks Oliver doth protest too much.  I think he didn't want to admit that he thought it was hot. LOL

I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some Goth Felicity roleplay going on in their bedroom at one point or another.

• Love 24

That scene where Felicity shows Oliver the picture of goth Felicity is high up in my favorite moments of theirs. I don't know why. It just felt so domestic and easy and natural? Like I could picture them hanging out like that every single night. I loved it. 

Ugh, I have the feels.

• Love 12

Oh, man. This was so good. There wasn't one wasted minute in the episode.

Great bookends with the Diggles though I'm not sure about the wisdom of bringing Andy into their home even if it's obvious it's not permanent and he's being guarded. Lyla killed me at the beginning. She's not an active agent and out on a date with her husband but she still has a sidearm on her. Awesome. AMA was honestly great this episod. I particularly liked her sccene of seeing Andy for the first time in years in such different circumstances. It was so great to see Lyla in charge at ARGUS as I have claimed she should be since at least last season. I will say that this is the best I liked Waller in all her appearances. Great scene to commemorate her and then Felicity to bring some reality into the situation.

I really liked Andy in the flashbacks as well, little brat that he was. 

Oliver and Laurel's scene is really the best they've had over the past three and a half seasons. I never would have gone for Laurel as the person who Oliver revealed the crossover time travel to first. Does this mean that he's questioning his decision to keep his secret from Felicity. Please, make it so. I even have to admit that Laurel didn't come off as abrasive when she stepped onto that crime scene.

I agree with Laura Hurley. EBR really is the MVP of the episode and that's saying something since it really was a strong performance episode. There was great stuff from ADA as I already said and SA brought it as well - the teary scene in the lair was excellent -, but she kicked ass both with two Felicitys and how the present Felicity was dealing with the situation. And the humor was top notch. She cracked me up reading the side effects on her prescription. 

I love that Felicity went for the heels, but I do wonder how she managed to find that length of skirt in her closet. 

Also, Oliver totally admitted he would have hit on Goth Felicity after the credits. No way will I be convinced of anything else.

• Love 15

I'm so grateful for that small Diggle and Felicity scene, but I need more guys. A lot more. I was hoping for some Lyla and Felicity too.

The moment when Diggle and Felicity were actually allowed to talk to each other, it felt like something off had just clicked back into place.  I missed them even more than I realized.  They have a natural, easy feel between them.

• Love 14

We need more Diggle episodes. He was so awesome.

And yet, we don't. It's not that the Diggle is used sparingly, it's that he's barely used well in the first place this season. In my opinion.

I love that Lyla packs heat, even on a romantic stroll with the hubby! I hope that Lyla either ends up taking over, post-Amanda (R.I.P.) or that she joins Team Arrow. Audrey Marie Anderson is awesome and gets Lyla right. She seems to have an easy rapport with the other ladies of the Arrow lair, and gets along just fine with Oliver. Yet, I can see how not only a paycheck, but getting a chance to see how hard the tightrope walking will be in Waller's chair could be an intriguing through story for Our Ms. Michaels and John  for the future.

I was not thrilled with how the TV side cast "Amanda Waller", but I always appreciated Cynthia Addai-Robinspon's performances. She was gven a most unlikable character and gave you the impression she could kill you with a pink eraser and a bowl of al dente pasta. I was actually surprised and whispered "nooo!" when Dr. Dave did the deed. I hope that Ms. Addai-Robinson gets a wonderful role next and that she gets to lead, as she should. I was interested in what her Waller was up to, so I would've enjoyed a Suicide Squad weekly show with her.  Good luck in the future! ( Hey, maybe she can show up over on LoT? Time Travel!!)

Add me to the group not fully convinced that Andy has decided to listen to Big Brother John. He had better not let anything happen to Lyla or ,especially, Sara. A large amount of the known TV DC heroes would be glad to find anyone who hurt her. I like that Andy doesn't have a same-iness with John; that he was dirty isn't great, but that he can help save his sister-in-law is nice. (I was glad that John didn't dismiss the guard. He had him just not all up in the apartment. John does forgive, just not quickly.) 

My biggest quibble? That knowing Dead Agent had lost his eyeball and no ARGUS Technicians were tasked to delete any entry codes of the man- including bioscans!!

This episode gave me a lot of positive feels! Yay!! 

• Love 10

[Edited by mod:  Please don't talk about other fan's views.]

NOTE: THEY WERE TERRIBLE PEOPLE. 

It's like saying you can't disrespect Hitler... Except not as extreme. Smh

Edited by MuuMuuChainsmoker
  • Love 8

And yet, we don't. It's not that the Diggle is used sparingly, it's that he's barely used well in the first place this season. In my opinion.

Agreed. I used to look forward to Dig's episodes, but then grew wary of them as they kept misfiring. Until this one. This was terrific. And the flashback was helped so much by the fact that it was allowed to tell its story and not drawing it out like some others. 

My biggest quibble? That knowing Dead Agent had lost his eyeball and no ARGUS Technicians were tasked to delete any entry codes of the man- including bioscans!!

That and the shots of Oliver with Thea and Laurel jumping in the fight from the same place are my only quibbles in this episode. Okay, and Overwatch. Which is extremely self-congratulatory and expected. And oh. My. God. wonderwall, couldn't you have used your powers for good?! Also, I did not like the Oracle line. It felt petty and insensitive. Oh, yeah. I thought about that but another woman in a wheelchair took it. :/ Awesome. However, I am willing to let all of these go since it was truly a great, well-paced, well-acted episode all around.

• Love 4

That scene where Felicity shows Oliver the picture of goth Felicity is high up in my favorite moments of theirs. I don't know why. It just felt so domestic and easy and natural? Like I could picture them hanging out like that every single night. I loved it. 

Ugh, I have the feels.

I got ridiculously happy when I saw his bare feet.  Like I squeed and giggled out loud. 

• Love 6

I'm going to miss Amanda Waller.  You never quite knew where you were with her.  Why does this show kill all the grey females and keep the men?  And how stupid do they think we are that we can't keep the two actors separate.  Good thing they can't kill Barry because they just might to have only the one in the movies.

Since Amanda Waller was the one to drop Oliver on the island in the flashbacks, will she never appear to get him back?

My biggest quibble? That knowing Dead Agent had lost his eyeball and no ARGUS Technicians were tasked to delete any entry codes of the man- including bioscans!!

This is the real reason she had to die -- incompetence.

SO I have a confession to make that will probably make you guys hate me...

So a while ago (around episode 2ish?), I tweeted MG and tagged him about how if Felicity were to have a codename it would be Overwatch as a joke not thinking he'd see it and he responded with "That would be so cool".......... I think this whole codename thing is my fault and I regret it every single day and will forever regret it. T_T

Let that be a lesson to you to never feed the narcissists, it just gives them permission to do what they've wanted to do all along but were held back by society.

*Whispers*death anvil*whispers*

It's like they have a checklist they've been ticking off the past two seasons.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

I got ridiculously happy when I saw his bare feet.  Like I squeed and giggled out loud. 

Haha. I know. What is it about a man with bare feet? I don't understand. 

I just liked the ease of that whole scene. 

• Love 5

I'm a bit pissed that DC is so shortsighted in their usage of characters. What a waste of Amanda Waller. Audiences are not idiots, DC. We can understand that the movies have one Amanda Waller and TV has another! I'll take a bit of comfort in Lyla being ARGUS' badass new leader.

YES. We understand that CBS has one Sherlock and PBS has another Sherlock, that John Wesley Shipp played The Flash on one TV show but now plays The Flash's dad on another TV show, and that Superman will not be texting Kara in the Batman vs. Superman movie. However, these are the people responsible for the Green Lantern movie, so they cannot be trusted to think logically.

I loved both of Felicity's speeches at the end of the episode, and Oliver's reaction was SQUEE! They are such a believable couple.

• Love 8

My DVR must have been feeling my worry during the Oliver/Laurel scene (it seemed like it was going fine but I was waiting for the other shoe to drop) because right as he was telling Laurel his worry about time travel, it skip ahead.  So anyone that can tell me what he said after her brought up Barry time traveling would be most appreciated.  (He was just starting to say what he was afraid might be happening but glitched before he said what he was afraid of).

Really strong episode.  Goth Felicity probably made Donna's life very challenging, lol. 

The regular flashbacks are such a non entity that I was almost done with the episode before I realized there was no Poppy this week.  

One thing that I had to laugh about was how tiny Andy looked next to John.  Like he was his kid or something.  Oh and they said Sara had their mother's eyes, awwww!  That kid is so cute. 

Still, Andy may have not wanted Diggle's wife to die but yeah, I'm not trusting him.  

So I get that Curtis was her driver, but how did Felicity get upstairs to change her clothes?  I suppose she might have still been flying on the third pain pill.  ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I can't get over how ridiculous Digg's mask is, particularly tonight. It's like the costume designer thought, "y'know who's cool? Welders. And Magneto. What if Magneto and a welder had a baby? And it was Digg's helmet?? Welder by day, vigilante by night! It'll be my homage to Flashdance AND X-men." 

• Love 22

Andy became much more interesting in this ep. Now I can't wait for him to double-cross his brother, LOL! Him meeting his niece in the end was cute. But now I'm wondering, where is his family? Did Carly and AJ leave Star City?

They left in the summer of 2013. It was addressed in 2x02.

EBR did indeed kill it tonight and I liked how strong Felicity turned out in this episode.  I admit I laughed when Oliver turned his head to see who Felicity was yelling at and Goth Felicity was smiling at him.

Major kudos to him for not reacting to that. Though one can't help but wonder how many takes it took for him to get through it.

5. Since I can no longer assume that this is going to be explained, how exactly did Oliver spend that much time as a sorta trusted guard for a Shadowspire person on Evil Island and not recognize Shadowspire later? And are we to assume that Shadowspire and ARGUS were both fighting over who got to make Evil Island an even more miserable place except for the one year when Ivo showed up by coincidence and started making evil superpowered people?

He did mention having seen their logo before. And I want it to be noted on record that I'm operating on the theory that Oliver's five years of physical and psychological torture resulted in severe issues with his memory. So all the times he didn't share relevant information from his lost years isn't only because he didn't want to but because he couldn't piece the information together.

I got an inordinate amount of pleasure watching Layla punch that guy in the face. .  repeatedly. 

I really didn't that much since he was wearing a helmet so I imagined she was doing more harm to herself than him.

Do you guys really think Andy is staying over at the Diggles' after this episode? That's not what I got at all. He came through at ARGUS so he gets a home cooked meal and to meet his niece. Then the guard outside escorts him to his cell.

• Love 3